Jisoo: Train

Seventeen Oneshots

The train was where it all happened. The brick wall we had built up was torn down.

"We need to talk..." Possibly the most four dreaded words ever when you thought you were in a stable relationship. And so, it happened. My boyfriend had broken up with me. It was the worst.

"We need to talk," he murmured, looking out the window.

"What's up?" My boyfriend had moved out to another city for school. I had trusted him to carry on this long-distance relationship.

"So I've met someone else. Who I like," he looked at me, a little pained in the face.

"What?" my eyes widened.

"So," he said. He got up; his stop was coming up. "We're over. Thanks for everything."

He began walking away down the aisle.

"Wait! You..." He was already gone.

I was sitting on the same train again, returning from a meet-up with friends. It's been a little more than a year since my ex last talked to me. Ever since, my heart had decided to not feel love anymore.

I leaned forward and rested my head and my arm on the back of the front seat. A few tears began to spill over my eyes, and a choke came up in my throat. I guess I still felt attached to him. I thought I would have gotten over him by now...

"This is the worst," I whispered.

"Isn't that fine?" An unfamiliar voice cut into my memories. I lifted my head up to see who this rude person was.

A boy with eyes that sparkled and courteous hands was sitting in the seat on the other side of the aisle. There were small little creases around his eyes that told me he smiled a lot. A little smile was already tugging at his lips and the deepness of his eyes told me that he was often quiet in nature.

"What did you say?" I coughed, rubbing my red eyes.

"I said, isn't that fine if things are the worst now? Because you know that tomorrow will be better for sure." He finally did smile, but it wasn't a playful smile. It was a smile that warmed my crying heart and assured me that everything would be okay.

I laughed a little, wiping away the rest of my tears, "That's a little random to say to a stranger on the train."

"Mind if I sit next to you?" he asked. I moved over and gestured for him to sit.

"So," he began again after settling down next me. "Is there a reason why you were crying?"

I laughed once more. "Oh it's nothing, I just remembered being on this same train a year ago in the same seat where my ex-boyfriend decided to break up with me because he found someone else and..." I stopped.

"Sorry," I apologized. "I don't know why I'm telling you this."

"No no. It's weird of me to ask a stranger out of the blue, so let's not be. I'm Jisoo." His smile seemed to make my heart throb a little.

"I'm _______," I replied. We shook hands. It felt a little strange still though, being all formal.

Jisoo was easy to get along with, however. He kept on smiling and it made me want to smile too. His somewhat awkward laugh seemed to shine a little light in me. We talked about all sorts of things, from our favorite restaurants to what genre of books we liked to our own families. Gradually, I forgot about my break-up. It felt as if we were the only ones on the train.

However, it ended too quickly for me. I felt my heart sink and drop down as my stop slowly approached.

"You're getting off here right?" Jisoo asked.

"Y-yeah..." I was disappointed. Honestly, I would miss our conversation. And anyways, I had grown to like Jisoo's quiet, yet interesting personality. His sense of humor was a bit awkward, yet I still found it amusing.

The train screeched to a stop and I unwillingly stood up. What should I say? What am I supposed to say?

"Well, it was fun talking to you. Maybe I'll see you around," I smiled at him and began to turn around and walk away. I had only taken three steps until I felt a hand gently grab onto mine.

I glanced back. "Jisoo?"

"Wait," he said suddenly. He pulled me back two steps. "No, I have to see you again."

A pink blush formed on my cheeks and Jisoo looked slightly embarrassed too, but there was resolve in his eyes.

"Um, I'll see you," he said, releasing his grip on me.

"Y-yeah..."

-x-

It has been a couple weeks since I was last on the train, and I haven't seen Jisoo since. Oh well, what did I expect? We were strangers who just happened to meet by chance. Shame on my wishful thinking.

My phone was vibrating like crazy. I had to rummage through a pile of junk and paper in my schoolbag in order to find it. By the time I found it, I was pretty sure the caller would hang up and give up on me ever answering the call. Yet, my phone continued to vibrate in my hands. The caller was listed as an unknown. Usually, I didn't take unknown callers, but recently my friend said she got a new phone with a new number. It must be her then.

"Hello?" I prepared myself for a blast of nonsense that best friends give each other.

"Hello?" Came an echo. Well, the voice certainly did not sound like my friend.

"Uh..."

"Is this ________? It's Jisoo, from the train."

"Huh?" I blinked in disbelief. "I didn't even give you my number though."

"Uh, yeah," he laughed a little. I felt  my heart flutter at it. "I actually know your ex."

"W-what?" A wave of emotions passed through me. A pang of sorrow went through at the last thought of my ex and I laughing together. What I was most concerned with however, was that how Jisoo even knew my ex. Or how he even puzzled together that I was the ex-girlfriend.

"How do you know my ex?" I asked as calmly as possible.

"Oh, we were in the same class one time last year," he answered. "He told me a few times about you. I asked him for your number."

I smiled a little awkwardly, "Stalker!"

"Sorry, couldn't help it. I really wanted to meet you, but I was too shy to say anything." I thought I could detect a trace of regret. "He always talked about the most interesting things about you. So, I had my guesses when I saw you on the train."

"...Oh."

"U-uh, anyways," it was noticeable that Jisoo realized he had touched upon a sensitive topic. "The reason I called is that I wanted to ask if you wanted to meet somewhere? And well, maybe, oh, I don't know..."

It was cute. The way Jisoo was so flustered about just asking me to come out with him. It was almost as if I could see his embarrassed face while biting his lower lip.

"Yeah, sure! I'd love to!" I replied.

-x-

The train was where it all happened. Someone else had picked me up from the ground when I was indecisive about the feelings I long ago should have left behind.

I was walking up to the booth to pay for my train ticket fare, all the while thinking about the day ahead just for the two of us. Jisoo and I. I fished out some change from my pocket but someone pushed his way in front of me. Rude!

"Hey!" I snapped irritably. "There is something called common courtesy, you know!"

The person turned around and I instantly regretted everything I said. He was the most courteous person I knew. Wow, looks like I'm the rude person now.

"J-Jisoo," I stammered, as he paid for two tickets. I wanted to apologize.

Instead of being offended, he laughed cheerily. "That's funny, being called rude."

"I swear, it was an accident. Ugh, I feel the worst right now." I covered my face with my hands.

I waited for Jisoo to say something, but he didn't. We just continued to stand there side-by-side in awkward silence. I was still feeling too ashamed to take my hands away from my eyes, and yet I peeked out of the corner of my eye. Jisoo's hands were at his sides, his facial expression unreadable. His eyes were full of serious wondering of something he deeply cared about.

I sighed. What was I expecting from Jisoo anyways?

"Hey," he finally said. I looked up from my hands and saw his sheepish gaze.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"If it's the worst now, then it will definietly be better tomorrow, right?" A bell of the arriving train sounded in the distance.

I blinked and peered into those deep eyes. "Sure."

Jisoo reached out and took my hand. He gently pulled me in closer to him; we were so close I could feel the warmth of his breath on my forehead. I noticed how embarrassed I was from the hot, fluttering sensation on my face. My heart began beating wildly and louder with each constant approaching 'dings' of the train. Could he hear the beating?

"J-Jisoo, I-I..." Nothing comprehensible decided to come out of my mouth. I was leaning on him, facing him.

"Get off that train," he said quietly. "Get off without your ex." He leaned in closer to me, if that was possible. Jisoo began to hug me tightly, and I returned the embrace. His back was warm to the touch of my hands.

He backed away for a second. Without giving me a chance to react, he clenched my hand and pressed his lips against mine.

The train finally appraoched. The roaring seemed to amplify my own heartbeat. We pulled away and Jisoo whispered into my ear. Tears began forming in the corners of my eye.

"Get on with me instead."