Fight

Fight

 

***

 

Sunggyu was not just angry. More like furious. He was literally burning with rage. He should have known. They haven't fought for some time. The last fight had been... intense. Probably too much and it screwed them up pretty well. Woohyun had a serious slump, he was not doing well and Sunggyu couldn't help it. He felt worried and responsible. So they made a deal. No fights. At first, it was good. Very good. It felt nice to just have fun, tease each other. It seemed it could work. But it didn't. They were not like that. Without the everyday bickering, the feelings kept piling up until... Until it all went to hell. 

 

Sunggyu was storming through the building. The corridors were empty. Everyone has left already since the program ended some time ago. However, Woohyun disappeared right after the ceremony and didn't return. The rest of the members left with one of their managers, leaving Sunggyu to fetch the lost member. Oh yeah, he was mad.

 

He couldn't find him anywhere and his patience was running out. Just where could he go? Suddenly he heard voices. He recognized his voice immediately, the other belonged to their second manager. He peaked from behind the corner and saw them sitting on the stairs. It's rude to eavesdrop but sometimes that's the only way how to learn the truth. 

"You had a fight, didn't you?" The manager asked.

"Hmmm..."

"So what did you do this time?"

"Why do you assume it's my fault?"

"Because it's always your fault."

Woohyun bit his lower lip.

"Hyung~ Am I selfish?"

"Hah. Everyone's selfish, Woohyun-ah. That's the only way how to survive."

"But do you think I am... greedy? Vain?"

"Why? Has Sunggyu said something? That's why you are so sulky?"

"Just... I'm just sad."

"What happened?"

"The same thing as always."

"You did something stupid, Sunggyu pointed it out but you refused to acknowledge the mistake and so you fought."

Woohyun smiled a bit. 

"Nah... It's not that."

"Really?"

"Everyone took his side, you know."

"Uh-huh."

"They always take his side. I didn't mind at first... He is our leader, our hyung but... it hurts."

"It's because he is right."

"Maybe... but shouldn't you have someone who cares more about you than whether you are right or wrong? Someone who will always take your side. No matter what?"

"Woohyun-ah..."

"It really wasn't my fault this time. Maybe partially... but he... He wronged me too, you know. But nobody pays attention to that. Nobody even asks. They just automatically go to him. It feels lonely."

"You are all very young. Forced to grow up too fast but pretending to be an adult doesn't make you one. Don't take it to your heart. You are still just kids and children always follow the leader. You know that."

"Yeah but it still hurts. It's as if I don't belong."

"What? Yah~ are you... do you want to leave?"

"WHAT? NO! Of course not. I won't ever leave them. Even though they are always leaving me."

"Woohyun-ah. Listen to me. They love you just as much as they love Sunggyu. You are not greedy nor vain. And you are not selfish either. In life, you are sometimes forced into roles you may think you don't deserve. Be it good or bad. I know, how much you care about the group, about the members. I understand that you are disappointed but you are forgetting that you do have that one person who is always standing up for you, always taking your side."

"Who?"

"Sunggyu."

"Huh?"

"He may scold you, shout at you, you may fight and argue but when the others take his side, doesn't he always make them come to you, too? Doesn't he make sure that even if you are angry at each other, you are still a part of all the activities? He has never excluded you, had he? And even when you make a serious mistake, it's him who pleads with the CEO and apologizes on your behalf. So isn't he the one?"

Woohyun stared at the manager and blinked. Sunggyu did all those things, didn't he? He was about to say something when Sunggyu came from behind the corner and cleared his throat.

"Ehm, hyung. Could you give us a minute?"

"Yeah, sure. I will be waiting in the car. Take your time."

Woohyun looked to the ground and Sunggyu sat on the same place the manager did before.

"Woohyun-ah."

"Hmmm."

"I'm sorry."

Woohyun looked up so fast he actually hurt his neck. Sunggyu chuckled.

"When I came to find you, I was so mad. Why did you leave without saying anything? Why didn't you take your phone with you? I was already upset with you and this only fueled my anger. But as I was going through the building, not seeing you anywhere I felt something else too. Worry. Are you alright? Has anything happened? Are you hurt? Sick?"

"I'm fine."

"You are not. We are both stupid. We try to help and support each other but we end up hurting the other. I am truly sorry. I don't always mean everything I say during the fights. I know we tend to make up but we very rarely apologize to each other. And I think we should. We cannot NOT fight. It's just... part of who we are. You will keep making mistakes because that's a human thing to do and I as your leader will continue to scold you. We will always bicker, tease and sometimes yell at each other. But... I think our problem is not what is being said but rather what is not. So let's say sorry even if we feel we didn't do anything wrong. Let's say thank you even if we feel it's something natural to do. And let's say please even if it's something trivial."

"Hyung~" Woohyun's voice wavered and he started to cry. The leader leaned in and hugged him.

"I'm sorry for always making mistakes and not admitting them. Thank you for always being here and please don't give up on me." Sunggyu smiled and hugged him tighter.

"Woohyun-ah. You are amazing and you belong with us. Don't ever think something else."

"I belong with you."

Woohyun replied and burrowed his head in the leader's chest with Sunggyu his hair.

 

***

the end