Comm. Failure

Error:1004

If Jongin had not been so entirely emotional and physically exhausted, both from his long trip home and from the mix of feelings he has experienced in such a short span of time, he probably would have spent more time tinkering away at the android last night. Alas, he fell asleep on his bed in a pile of warm blankets, soft pillows and the clothes he had tried to remove from his body before collapsing on top of the mattress. The android fell to the back of his mind as he curled up on the bed, pulling his knees up and drawing his feet under the covers in his sleepy state.

In fact, Jongin never once thought of the android even as he woke up the next morning to the sound of Chanyeol knocking on his door and the smell of bacon cooking below in the kitchen.

“Jongin?” Chanyeol hummed on the other side of the door, before rattling the keys in the lock of the doorknob as a warning, “Are you awake in there?”

“Mm,” Came Jongin’s sleepy reply.

Chanyeol snorted, “May I let myself in?”

“Mm,” Jongin groaned louder before there was the sound of some thumping and a loud ‘oof!’ that followed it.

“Are you alright in there?” Chanyeol asked, trying to keep his laughter to himself.

Another groan and then, “Mm,”

Laughing, Chanyeol let himself into the room, shifting the key in the lock until it clicked and then pushing the door open to reveal Jongin in a messy heap, half on the bed and half on the ground. Chanyeol shook his head while laughing, louder now as he saw the state in which his best friend lay. He sat down on the edge of the bed, his long legs extending across the wood flooring, before he placed a set of clothes down beside Jongin.

Jongin glanced up from beneath his bangs and Chanyeol could only see his eyes from this angle, with the blankets wrapping him up so tight. Chanyeol cooed at Jongin as if he were a puppy and laughed when he saw Jongin’s eyebrows knit together, still unable to pick out exactly his expression since the blankets covered most of his face.

“Morning, sunshine,” Chanyeol grinned as he smoothed out Jongin’s unruly bed-hair.

Jongin reached out from under the blanket and swatted Chanyeol’s hands away from him, which only sent Chanyeol into another fit of laughter. The younger huffed and pulled the blankets away from himself, revealing his wrinkled clothes from last night. He groaned as he lifted himself back onto the bed and flopped back onto it, listening to the creaking of the frame as it shifted under the sudden weight.

“Sleep well?” Chanyeol asked, stretching out his back and cracking it in a way that made Jongin’s spine shiver unpleasantly.

“Fine,” Jongin responded, “Better than sleeping on that bloody tram.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes, “I’ll take that as a compliment to my inn.”

Jongin smiled slyly and reached for a pillow to possibly hit Chanyeol’s face with, when he noticed the old clothes sitting next to the elder. He eyed them and then looked at Chanyeol confused, before his face met with the softness of a fluffy pillow. Another ‘oof’ and Jongin was sent sprawled back on the bed once more.

“I saw you reaching for it,” Chanyeol shook his head in mock disbelief, “How could you dare to think of hitting lil’ ol’ me with a pillow?”

Jongin snorted and sat up, rubbing his nose which had taken most of the impact, “Park Chanyeol, you are anything but little,” he replied before shoving him gently with two hands braced on his shoulder and Chanyeol snickered at how weak Jongin seemed to be in the mornings.

“What are those clothes for?” Jongin asked with a yawn as he stretched out across the bed, very much like a cat on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Chanyeol picked up the small pile and laid them in his lap, and gently held up one of the shirts, “Clothes for that thing.”

“Oh,” Jongin nodded and took the articles from Chanyeol’s grasp, “Will you help me clothe it or…?”

Chanyeol shifted uncomfortably, “Do you think you’ll need my help?” he asked with an unconscious frown gracing his mouth.

Jongin waved his hand dismissively, “I should be fine to do it on my own.”

There was almost a sigh of relief that escaped Chanyeol, Jongin could see it in the way his friend relaxed so quickly, “If you insist.”

Jongin rolled his eyes, “I do. I’ll meet you after I have it dressed.”

“Good,” Chanyeol stood quickly, smoothing out his shirt and dusting the imaginary dust off of his slacks, “Meet me in the kitchen for breakfast then.”

Once Chanyeol had finally left the room, after a few more pillow thrown and a few more exchanges of banter, Jongin huffed out a sigh and rummaged through his things in search for his own change of clothes. He had fallen asleep, not proud to admit, in his nice, stuffy clothing. Before then, he had believed that since he was no longer at the Academy, he would break that habit, but evidently, not.

After he finally changed into something a little more suitable for the weather and the work he was sure Chanyeol would be putting him to today, he unhooked the latch on the box once more. Carefully not to let it thud against the flooring, Jongin caught the door of the crate and gently set it down. The bunched newspapers tumbled out again and landed softly around Jongin’s feet, spilling across the room and revealing the android’s form.

“Oh,” Jongin’s cheeks tinged pink, near red, at the sight.

The android was rather detailed, and Jongin was mildly embarrassed to say the least to take in all of it’s… form. He pushed the idea that this thing was actually into the back of his mind as he draped Chanyeol’s shirt over its shoulders, but that did not stop the fact that his heart fluttered in his chest when his fingers accidentally skimmed the softness of the android.

Jongin’s cheeks deepened in colour as he slid his fingers down the android’s right arm to its wrist and gently slipped the arm into the sleeve. The thing was cold to the touch, reminding Jongin that it indeed was a robotic form beneath the outer shell and the he should not be as nervous as he was to see it now. It was not a human, was not something that needed to be treated as such. But he, it, looked so real.

Reaching for the other arm, Jongin was surprised to see the faint traces of what looked like lettering on the upper arm. Upon closer inspection, he realized that there was a marking there, as if branding the thing. A large 00 stood black against the pale skin of the android and made Jongin shiver. If this were a model number or even the number of the android itself, then that could only mean that there were others… Or would be others in the future.

Jongin traced his thumb lightly over the marking and swore he thought that the android trembled under the touch, but he brushed it off as his own hands shaking. Then he pulled the other arm into the sleeve before finally buttoning up the shirt and then fixing the collar. Chanyeol’s old shirt hung loosely from its frame, looking comically too large for it, but it fit better than anything that Jongin might have in his possession for it to wear.

His eyes traced down the frame and he blushed when he looked down at the long, expanse of pale legs, the shirt conveniently large enough to cover other details that made his face instantly redden once again. Jongin picked up the pair of slacks, they were a navy blue that matched that of the striped shirt with its silver buttons. He hummed as he leaned down to gently maneuver the android’s leg into the pant leg, and, with much difficulty, he successfully managed to get the android’s new pants up to at least its knees.

With a huff and some exertion on Jongin’s part, he was able to get the slacks up all the way around the android’s waist. They slipped down and hung loosely from its hips, clearly Chanyeol’s pants were even a tad bit too large for this thing’s all too slim figure. Jongin looked through his things once more and pulled out a brown belt before using it to fasten the pants around the android’s waist.

Satisfied with his work, Jongin grinned and brushed down the fabric of the shirt’s shoulders before he rested them there. He inclined his head slightly, tilting his chin upwards just a tad so he could look at the thing. From up close, Jongin realized that the android had very handsome features. A small nose, pretty dark eyelashes, pale pink lips pressed into a firm line and blonde strands of hair that fell on its forehead in a nice manner. It looked prim and proper and kind of cute.

Jongin’s eyes widened at his own thoughts and he let his hands drop from the android, taking a few steps away from it and towards the door to his room. He left swiftly, his mind swarming with one thought and that was that the android was too pretty and too realistic. In fact, his mind swarmed with this thought so much that he barely noticed Kyungsoo waiting for him at the bottom of the stairs and toppled into him unexpectedly.

“Kyungsoo!” Jongin shouted too loudly, surprised to see him there.

“Hyung,” Kyungsoo replied, lips turning upwards in a smile and eyes so, so wide and so, so bright, “Good morning.”

Jongin smiled too, “Good morning.”

“You’re just in time for breakfast. Chanyeol was going to send me to retrieve you from your room.” Kyungsoo hummed and took Jongin’s hand, entwining their fingers together as to lead him to the kitchen.

“Oh,” Jongin said dumbly, unsure of how to hold Kyungsoo’s hand, but settling for curling his fingers around Kyungsoo’s smaller ones.

“He said you might be too distracted with that project of yours,” Kyungsoo chuckled, “Were you?”

“Perhaps,”

“May I see it?” Kyungsoo asked excitedly and Jongin glanced down at him with a small curve starting to form on his lips again.

“Would you like to?”

Kyungsoo nodded eagerly.

“Then of course you can,” Jongin grinned and ruffled Kyungsoo’s hair - Kyungsoo who huffed and batted Jongin’s hand away from his head.

After breakfast, Jongin helped Kyungsoo tidied the kitchen and he joined Chanyeol immediately thereafter in the lobby of the inn. Chanyeol stood behind the counter as the lone innkeeper, an apron hanging around his neck and fastened around his waist with ties. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a spare set of keys, placing them in the palm of Jongin’s waiting hand.

“That big, brass key is the master key. You should be able to enter any rooms necessary with it. Rooms number seven, ten and twelve need to be cleaned out today. Our next door neighbour takes care of the laundry, as you know, so you just need to put the used towels, blankets and such in a bag and drop them off to her later. All you need to do then is sweep the room, mop where necessary, etcetera. You know the drill.” Chanyeol explained and Jongin nodded.

“How can I not know?” Jongin teased, recalling many days spent cleaning the inn in his spare time after school hours with Chanyeol.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes with a laugh and sent Jongin off on his way to take care of the chores. Jongin did so happily, fond memories filling his head as he slipped from room to room, changing sheets and blankets, cleaning up mysterious spills and taking care of the general upkeep. He hummed to himself, a tune that Kyungsoo used to sing when he would follow him into the rooms to help Jongin with his chores.

Jongin remembered the way that Chanyeol used to always complain, because Kyungsoo never offered to help him clean. He smiled to himself as he sang, sweeping the floor beneath the bed in room twelve when he heard a small knock on the open door. Jongin nearly dropped the broom as he turned to look at the doorway only to see Kyungsoo standing there with a sheepish grin on his face.

“Hi,” Kyungsoo whispered.

“Hi,”

“Can I help?”

Jongin couldn’t stop the toothy grin from spreading on his face even if he had tried, “Just like old times.”

Kyungsoo giggled, face burning red, “Just like old times.”

Cleaning did not take nearly as long as Jongin thought that it had, but with Kyungsoo by his side, time seemed to be moving at a faster pace. Kyungsoo who always watched him with those same, wide, wondering eyes. Kyungsoo who was no longer a child, but now an adult, with handsome features that he had grown into so very well. Kyungsoo who touched Jongin timidly, who reached up on his tiptoes and kissed him on his cheek so gingerly, just barely pressing his lips to Jongin’s warm skin, after they finished cleaning that Jongin’s jaw had dropped and Kyungsoo had giggled at the expression on his hyung’s face.

“I missed you,” Kyungsoo said honestly, after closing Jongin’s jaw with a fingertip, “I really missed you.”

Jongin blinked slowly, “I missed you too,” he replied and then as an afterthought, “A lot.”

Kyungsoo smiled then, and hugged Jongin close to him, “I’m really glad that you’ve returned. I thought you’d forget about us and never come back…”

“Soo,” Jongin cooed the affectionate nickname, “I could never forget you.”

“Hyung,” Kyungsoo whined, nearly choking on the lump in his throat.

Jongin chuckled and threaded his fingers through Kyungsoo’s soft hair, “Did you want to come see the project now?”

Kyungsoo nodded, not saying a word, afraid that he might cry if he did. Jongin grinned, even though Kyungsoo could not see it with his face buried in the front of his shirt and gently took Kyungsoo’s hand in his own. He pulled the younger with him to his room and swiftly unlocked the door.

“What sort of invention is it, hyung?” Kyungsoo asked curiously as he tried to peer between the gaps in Jongin’s fingers as the elder covered his face with his hands.

“You’ll see,” Jongin hummed, “Come along, there’s nothing in front of you,” he chuckled, “Just walk straight.”

The younger obeyed, taking careful steps forward and into Jongin’s room. He was stopped abruptly when Jongin’s other hand came down onto his waist to keep him from walking any further. Kyungsoo jolted and then giggled as he bumped back into Jongin. Jongin shook his head and bit his lower lip to keep from laughing too when he finally took his hands off of Kyungsoo.

Ever eager, Kyungsoo’s eyes searched in front of himself with bright excitement until he realized what it was he was staring at. He looked between the thing and Jongin, confused momentarily. Jongin made no move to introduce the thing and Kyungsoo felt increasingly perplexed by what this invention was supposed to be.

“What is it…?” Kyungsoo asked, bright smile wavering.

It is an android.” Jongin explained, resting a hand on the android’s shoulder, “It looks almost human, does it not?”

Kyungsoo nodded, “I thought it was a someone when you first showed me, not a something. It’s incredible, Jongin-hyung.” he bit his lip nervously, unsure if he should ask the next question that came into his mind, but with some careful selection of words he managed to ask, “What is its function?”

Jongin shrugged, “That is what I need to figure out. It was given to me and I have to work out its kinks.”

“Oh,” Kyungsoo blinked a few times, “How are you supposed to do that when you don’t know what it’s supposed to do?”

“Good question, Soo.” Jongin sighed, “A very good question indeed. I guess that’s my challenge though. The reason I will be able to go back to the Academy rests in my ability to decypher this machine.”

“Go back?” Kyungsoo asked sadly, “I did not think that you would…”

“Of course,” Jongin said, a bit surprised, “My life is there.”

Kyungsoo shifted, “What about your life here, hyung?” he asked, face fallen.

Jongin watched the nervous way that Kyungsoo played with the hem of his shirt and then frowned. Kyungsoo was trying hard not to look upset, but Jongin knew that he was. He had known him for years, it was impossible for him not to tell. In fact, Kyungsoo had also looked like this a couple of years ago, when Jongin told him that he was leaving for the first time.

“Oh, Soo,” Jongin sighed and reached out to pull the younger in for a quick hug, “You have to understand, I have two lives in two separate places and both of them are a part of me. I cannot pick and choose which life I want, because I want both of them. Part of my life is there with my work and the other part of my life is here, with you. With Chanyeol and the inn. And until my work is finished, until I’ve graduated, part of me will always be at the Academy.”

Kyungsoo left shortly afterwards, claiming that he felt tired and that he needed to rest before cooking supper tonight. Jongin had let him leave, aware that he truly wanted to have some time alone, to process. Jongin understood that need far too well himself and decided it would be best for Kyungsoo to take that time.

Jongin truly had not meant any harm when he said that he wished to go back to the Academy. He supposed it had come as a surprise to Kyungsoo whom he never wrote letters to. Chanyeol knew about his plans and he simply assumed that Chanyeol would tell them to Kyungsoo. Wrong assumption.

The boy sighed and rested back on his bed. He loved Kyungsoo, he loved Chanyeol and he loved the inn. He loved his quiet life in the town. But he also loved the Academy and his research. He loved his work and he loved what his future might hold for him. He loved a lot of things and that was why he could never choose. He wanted to have his cake and eat it too, but alas, he realized, maybe that was not how the world worked.

“I forgot to mention it to him,” Chanyeol sighed and stirred his cup of tea absentmindedly.

“I understand,” Jongin mumbled before taking a sip of his tea. It had been a long day of work and he felt that he truly deserved this drink and so he did not wait for it to cool, managing to burn the inside of his mouth in the process. Tears sprung to his eyes, but he pushed them away after a sip of some cold water that Chanyeol nudged across the table towards him.

“You should have seen the look on his face…” Jongin sighed, “I felt terrible.”

Chanyeol nodded slowly, “I think part of Kyungsoo always believed that you would come back, if not for me, then at least for him.”

Jongin blushed, “I always thought that I would too. I always thought this was my home. I always thought that I would end up back here one day, just not the way that I did come back. I have unfinished business away and-”

“I know,” Chanyeol interrupted, letting his spoon clatter against the side of his teacup, “But, Jongin, there have been boys coming and going to court Kyungsoo. And he has turned them all away, waiting for you.”

Boys?”

“Plenty of them. Kyungsoo is a very sweet, young man and he has caught the eye of many, even the wealthy aristocrat who lives in the manor at the edge of the town and the city.”

“Byun Baekhyun?” Jongin asked astonished, “That boy too?”

“Kyungsoo has turned him away countless times, thinking of only you.”

“Oh.”

“Indeed,” Chanyeol mused, “Oh. Will you marry my brother, Jongin?”

“I am not sure,” Jongin sighed, “I always thought that I would, even when we were children. I thought Kyungsoo would be my husband… But-”

“But?”

“But… I am not ready to settle down yet, Chanyeol. And I am afraid that Kyungsoo might be ready for that now. Whereas I am still trying to piece my life together. He already knows what he wants and where he wants to be.”

“He wants you,” Chanyeol hummed.

“And I would love to have him as well… I’m just not ready.”

Chanyeol frowned, and nestled his chin in his palm, “You won’t break my brother’s heart, will you?”

Jongin shook his head, “That is the last thing that I want to do.”

Some nights, Jongin would stay awake and tinker at his projects to try and escape the reality of the real world. He would do it when he felt things for Yifan he was not sure he was supposed to be feeling and on nights that he was lonely after Yifan’s death. He would do it on nights that he thought about home and Kyungsoo and Chanyeol and definitely on nights when he felt torn between the two things he loves most.

Tonight was one of those nights, when at a quarter to midnight, instead of sleeping, he decided to pull out the android and see if he could at least make the contraption do something. Anything.

Setting the android down in a chair at the corner of the room, Jongin poked and prodded at the back of the thing where he remembered feeling a small clasp. The shirt Chanyeol had given him pooled around the android’s waist as he unlatched the clasp and took a peek inside. Jongin was entirely too surprised to find that the android’s insides consisted of gears and cogs, as if the thing were made of a clock.

The pieces were new and shiny looking, made of brass, copper, silver and some even looked as if they were gold. Jongin whistled lowly as he took a small torch in his hand to look further into the dark cavern of the android. None of the pieces were moving, but they all looked relatively new. He traced over some of the notches within with his fingertips until he felt a place where it dipped lower than the rest.

It took some awkward angling of a small looking-glass, but eventually, Jongin could see what he was looking for. The dip was meant for a key, a specific type of key. Jongin remembered the same type of keys, the ones that he would see toymakers use to wind up their toys and make them go. This android was like one of those toys, like a large, more technologically advanced, windup doll.

Only, there was no key to go with it.

“A locksmith?” Chanyeol asked with a yawn.

The sun had only just broken through the horizon, barely setting a glow to the town or to the inn when Jongin had knocked on Chanyeol’s bedroom door. Chanyeol had grumbled and slumped to the door, pulling his robe over his shoulders as he opened it and squinted through his sleep at the figure standing there. He was not surprised to see Jongin standing in the doorway, but he was surprised to see that Jongin had dark circles stretching beneath his eyes and that he was dressed in the clothes he had worn all day yesterday.

“Yes,” Jongin replied, running his hands through his hair, I need a reliable one. One that can keep a secret.”

Chanyeol yawned again, stretching his arms lazily, “What kind of lock do you need help with, Jongin?” he asked curiously, sleepily.

“I need,” Jongin sighed and bit the inside of his cheek to keep himself from yawning, “I need a windup key.”

“A windup-” Chanyeol began and then blinked the sleep from his eyes, “Is this for that contraption of yours?”

Jongin nodded, “Do you know someone who might be able to help me?”

Chanyeol smiled lazily, sleepiness still evident in his features, “Yeah.”

“The address?” Jongin asked eagerly, “And their name?”

“It’s five in the morning, Jongin,” Chanyeol hummed, glancing at his watch, “The person you’re seeking is still asleep. And you should be too.”

“Oh,” Jongin blinked stupidly, “I didn’t realize… I mean, I guess I did, but-”

“You haven’t slept yet, have you?”

“...No.”

“Go to bed, Jongin. I’ll tell you in a few hours when it is time to wake up.”

Jongin did not sleep. He could not sleep. His mind was too clouded with thoughts of what the android might be able to do if he could get it to start. He just needed a simple windup key, one that make the gears within move and then, in turn, make the android move. At least, the was what he hoped for.

Just two hours later, Jongin had managed to pry the information from a tired Chanyeol who used the kitchen table as a pillow while waiting for Kyungsoo to finish cooking breakfast. Jongin grinned and thanked Chanyeol profusely, politely declining the invitation from Kyungsoo to join them for something to eat who then politely pretended like that did not hurt him.

That was why he stood before a small shop just a few blocks from the inn, eagerly waiting for the door to be unlocked by the owner. A man smiled warily at Jongin as he unlocked the door and allowed for the young man to enter his shop. The little bell overhead jingled upon the opening of the door, and again when it closed gently behind him. Jongin remembered passing by this store on his way to school and home again when he was younger and wondered for how long this man had been partaking in this particular craft.

“Jongin, right?” The man asked with a small smile, “Kim Jongin, the genius kid who went to the Academy on a full scholarship?”

Jongin was surprised to hear this, it had been so long since anyone had mentioned the scholarship to him - that was before everything had gone south. He nodded and then the man grinned wider, folding his hands over the countertop.

“What can I do for the young prodigy then?”

“I’m sorry, sir, Choi Siwon, sir,” Jongin babbled, “I know that it’s early, but I was wondering if you could help me with a project of mine. You see, I have this, this thing. A contraption? Yes, a contraption. And it requires a key. A windup key. Of sorts. And my good friend, Chanyeol, he said that you were the best person to talk to about having a key fortified and that you were good at keeping… Secrets.”

Secrets. That seemed to pique the interest of the man behind the counter who then leaned over it, with a serious look in his eyes that startled Jongin. Siwon, the man, he eyed Jongin carefully before leaning back, folding his arms across his chest, but that stern expression never quite left his face.

“Alright,” He said finally and Jongin exhaled, not realizing that he had been holding his breath in the first place, “Where is the lock that requires the key?”

“It’s not exactly a lock, sir, not quite… It is a tumble, the kind that might be found in a windup toy.”

“Ah,” Siwon nodded, “And where is it then? This thing that requires a windup key?”

“It is really rather too large and heavy to bring here,” Jongin explained nervously, picking at his nails as he did so - a bad habit he picked up from Jongdae who often bit his own nails when he was anxious, “Would you be able to come with me?”

“What could be so heavy and large that requires a windup key?” Siwon wondered aloud, but he followed Jongin nonetheless, agreeing to keep whatever this was exactly a secret.

Jongin bowed quickly as a thank you as he passed by the counter where Chanyeol wiped down the surface with a cloth. Chanyeol watched while Siwon followed Jongin upstairs and to the room, wondering what could possibly come of this meeting. Kyungsoo padded out from the kitchen and caught a glimpse of Jongin disappearing just beyond the landing at the top of the stairs before he looked curiously at his brother. Chanyeol merely shrugged before going back about his business and Kyungsoo was left to wonder.

“It is,” Jongin began, chewing his lip as they stopped at his bedroom door, “It is like a windup doll.”

“And yet it was too heavy to be lifted to my shop?” Siwon asked playfully, curiously and Jongin nodded.

“It is like a windup doll and it also is not like a windup doll,” Jongin said slowly and sighed, “I cannot explain it.” he decided as he, instead, pushed open the door to the room, revealing the android sat in the chair.

Siwon blinked in surprise and blinked again as if he could not believe what he were witnessing, “This is it?”

Jongin nodded again, “This is it.”

“A lifelike and lifesize windup doll, is it?” Siwon asked in pure interest.

“Something like that,” Jongin nodded, “You are on the right track.”

“It is very interesting, what does it do?” Siwon asked as he entered the room to get a closer look at the thing.

“That is why I require a key,” Jongin sighed and ran his fingers through his hair of the umptenth time that day, “To find out what it does.”

Siwon, as old as he was, looked as if he had seen a fair share of rare and intriguing items over the years, but never one such as this. He examined it from afar and then asked Jongin to show him where the key is supposed to go when he could not automatically identify the keyhole. Jongin gently removed the android’s shirt and tipped it forward just slightly to reveal the back.

“Here,” Jongin said as he unclasped the clip and opened the backdoor to reveal the clockwork workings hidden inside, “Just below the rim there, you can feel the spot for the windup key.”

The man watched, amazed, and then asked permission before feeling along the inside of the android. His fingers ran over the grooves hesitantly until he found it, and then he nodded in deep thought, studying the keyhole with his fingertips. Jongin watched him carefully, eyes wide and hopeful as the man’s own gears looked like they were beginning to spin in his head.

Siwon reached for his small bag, “Do you mind if-?” Jongin shook his head and the man smiled warmly, before opening his bag out on the foot of Jongin’s bed.

He pulled out a smaller kit, opening the latch with a small click and reached inside for a foam that Jongin recognized from the Academy. Jongin had seen it used before, in other departments and by engineers who needed to take copies. Jongdae, actually, had used it one semester on a project that he complained about being far too easy to do. And he had been right about how simplistic the task was, but it still took a steady hand and some experience to get the tools of the trade perfect. Jongdae had surprised him, of course, with his automatic ability to understand these types of things.

Jongin watched as Siwon took the foam in his hands and gently pressed it inside of the android where the keyhole was. Inserting the foam, he clocked the amount of time to exactly one minute, before retrieving the soft substance from within. The spongy substance had taken shape of the inside of the keyhole, taking simple sixty seconds before it hardened and took the shape forever, but still maintaining that sponginess so that it was easy to remove. Jongin was always amazed by the invention and Jongdae waved it off as some silly trick of chemicals that the chemistry department held as their prized possession. He wasn’t wrong.

“There,” Siwon hummed, “That’s the shape you required for this, and that is the shape you shall receive.”

“I hope it works,” Jongin muttered nervously and the man chuckled, “How much do I owe you?”

The man shook his head, “Not much, a piece of silver is enough to cover the cost of a simple windup key.”

“I don’t want just any simple windup key, though, sir,” Jongin said shaking his head, “I want something sturdy, something high quality.”

“Oh,” Siwon uttered surprised, “Something of high calibre such as…? Perhaps, a gold plated titanium key?” he offered.

Jongin nodded, “If that is the best you can produce.”

Siwon chuckled again, heartily, “Indeed, it is the best any current locksmith can produce.”

“I will take it. How much?” Jongin asked eagerly and Siwon smiled, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

“How about a discount? Five silver pieces.”

“But,” Jongin floundered, “Titanium is not exactly cheap.”

“But,” Siwon hummed, “I can tell that this thing here of yours is going to be bigger than anything made in titanium, Kim Jongin. I know it is not any ordinary windup doll, it is something that I probably cannot even begin to imagine. I believe that you are going to change the world, and if there is anything I can do to help that process, then I want to do it. Besides, my business has been successful, trust me when I say that I really do not require much monetary compensation for my work any longer.”

“Thank you, sir,” Jongin bowed lowly, “You have no idea how much this means to me.”

“It is nothing you need to worry yourself over,” Siwon mused and then placed his kit and other tools back into his bag, “I will have this key ready for you in a few days. Is that alright with you?”

“Of course, sir.”

“Very well then. I will come to you in a few days with your new key.” He turned to leave but then stopped abruptly, “In the meantime, what are the doll’s dimensions?”

“Why, sir?”

“It looks like it could use some clothing that can fit it properly, does it not? Maybe something more suitable for accessing the back panel as well so that you do not have to strip it completely ?”

Jongin’s cheeks turned red, “Oh, yes, sir, that would be good, but-”

“No, no,” Siwon shook his head, “My wife is a seamstress and very good at keeping secrets as well. I will send her over at once and she can take care of the clothing. She is always awfully bored these days and will not leave me alone long enough to read even the newspaper. I need something to occupy her time, if not for a little while.”

“Alright, sir, thank you, sir.”

“And, Jongin?”

“Yes, sir?”

“Just call me Siwon.”

“Okay… Siwon.”

Three days was all it took for the clothing to be ready for the android. Kyungsoo offered to help Jongin change it into the new outfit that Siwon’s wife had brought with her that morning. Jongin was thankful for the younger’s help and ruffled his soft hair to let him know as they finished dressing the android in its new black shirt with gold buttons, black jacket and black slacks to match. It looked quite handsome like this, almost like a porcelain doll.

“It’s… Pretty.” Kyungsoo said once they were finished and Jongin hummed in agreement.

“It does look that way.” Jongin nodded and wrapped an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders.

Kyungsoo’s face flushed, but Jongin couldn’t see that as he gazed at the android, “I can’t wait for the key to be ready.” Jongin decided.

Two more, long, excruciating days before Jongin heard from Siwon. It was late at night when he finally did receive the call. A rap on Jongin’s bedroom door that stirred him from his book - one that Kyungsoo had lent him from his private book collection. Jongin slipped a piece of paper into the book, tucking it away as to remember his page and then closed it on his desk before he stood to answer the door. When he did, he was both surprised and pleased to find that it was Siwon who held a small black box in his hands.

“Is this is?” Jongin asked, grin forming on his lips, “The key?”

“Indeed,” Siwon hummed and let himself into the room, he handed the box over to Jongin who was quick to open it.

Sitting on the velveteen within the box was the key, shining brilliantly in the light. It gleamed so nicely, a brand new, shiny key that was worth every penny, Jongin decided, as he offered up his payment to Siwon. Siwon graciously accepted the silver and the extra that Jongin had insisted that he take for the assistance and the new clothing. The entire time, however, as Jongin spoke, he could not take his eyes off of the key.

“I hadn’t wanted to wait once it was completed.” Siwon explained as he justified his nightly intrusion.

“No, no,” Jongin shook his head, smiling happily at the key, “I’m glad you brought it straight away.”

It was clear that he was eager to test the android and Siwon smiled, waving half-heartedly as he left Jongin to scramble at the android’s back. The new shirt Siwon’s wife had sewn had a small, barely visible set of buttons that clasped together snuggly and were rather easy to open with a few tugs. Jongin’s shaking hands, however, wavered as he pulled at the fabric, unable to find purchase as his fingers slipped against the fabric.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

Jongin tried to calm himself before he was finally able to snap open the buttons. His heart beat erratically inside of his chest, the anxiety eating him up from the inside as he fumbled with the pretty new key between his fingers. This was real, this was happening and Jongin could barely contain his excitement.

With his heart in his throat, Jongin unclasped the android’s panel and opened the small door. He peered inside and reached in with his trembling fingers, searching for the keyhole. His breath hitched as he found it and again when the key fell perfectly into the tumble. He swallowed the lump forming in his throat and held his breath as he turned it, hearing the crank over the gears inside.

Jongin turned the key again and again, listening to the gears turning, beginning to work together, until the key clicked and would not budge any further. The young man blinked a few times in confusion, before taking his hands away from the android and watched in mild awe as the gears continuously their own, working away inside of the machine.

And yet…

Nothing was happening.

A frown adorned Jongin’s features as he poked the android a few times in the side, in its face and at the insides of the machine. Still nothing. His frown deepened as he slammed the door closed, jolting the android with his force… Though he was sure he hadn’t pushed it too hard.

He sighed in annoyance and re-buttoned the shirt, standing back to look at the contraption as it rested lifelessly against its chair. Jongin groaned and buried his face in hands. This had not been what he was expecting. He had thought… He was so sure that the android only required a key before it would start working…

Perhaps the error was then internal.

Jongin groaned. Externally. Loudly.

“Piece of junk,” Jongin huffed out, kicking at the android’s foot as he loomed over it, anger welling up inside of himself.

He felt foolish. How could he have possibly believed that his machine would be so easy to fix? How could he have been so damn naive? He cursed himself, he cursed The Creator and he cursed the Academy. But most of all he cursed this bloody contraption, ready to toss the thing in the nearest trash bin - if it were possible to fit in one.

Jongin growled lowly in his throat, annoyed beyond belief, boiling with with every negative feeling he had held within him for so long now, “I swear to G-”

“Activation code.”

The words broke the quiet of the room. A monotonous voice that cut Jongin’s cursing off and startled him into a silence as he stared at the android. The android sat there, unblinking and watching Jongin with black, black eyes that looked distant, cold, stony.

Jongin’s mouth opened and closed ungracefully as the android stared at him.

“Activation code.” It repeated.

“I,” Jongin stammered, “I don’t…”

“Activation code not recognized. Activation code required for further operation.”

“Uh,” Jongin panicked, “Your activation code… It, should be here somewhere… I’m not sure, um-”

“Activation code incorrect.”

A lump reformed in Jongin’s throat. No longer angry, but instead terrified of the unknown, Jongin’s stomach bubbled with nervousness and his heart pattered against his chest in terror as the unblinking machine continued to burrow holes into Jongin’s frame.

“I don’t know it,” Jongin exclaimed in exasperation, defeated.

“Error. No activation code detected. Communication override in process.”

“Wait!”

“Threat detected. Commencing termination.”

“T-Termination?!” Jongin trembled, stepping back from the android as it rose to its feet, standing taller over Jongin as it looked as though it were about to approach.

“Threat located. Locking target.”

“W-Wait!” Jongin nearly yelled as he stumbled backwards and fell square on his bottom, landing with a thud on the hard surface of the wood.

The impact with the floor knocked all of the air out of Jongin’s lungs as he landed hard. Instead of trying to get back up though, instead of crying for help or trying to fight against this things, he braced himself for something, anything, and curled in on himself, eyes shut tight. And he shook, his entire body anticipating pain of some form, limbs locked and tense as he cowered on the floor.

Until he heard a laugh.

Light and airy until it grew louder, almost obnoxiously so, ringing through the room.

All the stiffness and the fear drained from Jongin’s body as he uncurled from his position and looked up from beneath his hands. The android stood there, almost. It was doubled over, arms wrapped around its midsection as it… laughed.

It was laughing. At Jongin.

“You should have seen,” it wheezed, “The look on your face!”

“What?” Jongin asked stupidly, hardly able to process anything that was happening.

“You,” it choked on its laughter, “You really looked so scared! All the colour drained from your face!” it cackled and Jongin sat there like an idiot blinking up at the thing.

Jongin’s eyebrows furrowed and his eyes slanted into a glare, “What… Or, who, are you?”

“Little old me?” It grinned, before sweeping its bangs back with pretty, long fingers, “I’m an android.”

Jongin blinked and the android laughed behind its hands, quieter this time.

“Do you… Have a name?” Jongin asked, unable to form any coherent sentences as he babbled incoherently, except for this one particular question which made him feel even more like an idiot and he mentally slapped himself.

The android fluttered its eyelashes and smiled sheepishly, “Unit OSH-94. Identification number 00. But, you can call me Oh Sehun.” it giggled.

Jongin stared in both amazement and perplexion as the thing - Sehun - looking down at him, amused.

Then Jongin made a mental note:

Androids can giggle.

This is terribly unedited, which I do apologize for, but I wrote this whole thing all evening and I was just too anxious to get it posted, so here it is in ALL of it's unaltered, rushed glory. Oh and yeah, Sehun finally spoke. So I guess he's officially in it now? I hope this makes up for all of the unnecessary large gaps in my chapter updates.
xo, TadaChi