Part 1

Not So Pending Love

Jongdae grabbed his stuffed coat, swiftly slipping into it. He grabbed the shop key, turned off the light and quickly locked the door. Yixing was waiting him since half an hour ago but since he got extra customer that day he couldn’t close the shop like usual. Days are getting cold and he hate that. Well, not really since he could get more customers for his café but the numbing sensation wasn’t really a sensation mind you.

 

“You ready?” Yixing came up from behind him. “Yeah.” He mumbled. Vapour came out from their mouth and it wasn’t the lowest temperature yet. Jongdae shivered a bit despite he was wearing his coat. “Where should we start first?” Yixing nudged the slightly shorter male after 5 minutes of walking. Jongdae pointed to the nearest dark pathway leading to an abandoned street where a number of homeless could be found.

 

Since last week Jongdae kept on bugging his friend, persuading him to come along. “I have to know how many homeless lived around this area so that this could works.” He whined to the older man and really, Jongdae’s aegyo wasn’t that cute but he just couldn’t resist him. Jongdae was always like a real family to him. And Yixing was just that kind of man who couldn’t say no to anyone. Besides, Jongdae was doing a good deed.

 

“Are you sure this gonna works?” Yixing had that very skeptical look on his face. Jongdae rolled his eyes epically. Obviously annoyed by the question. “Hyung, who wouldn’t come for a nice and warm coffee especially it’s getting colder now. Besides, they don’t have to pay. Other people will. Just imagine if you’re one of them. You’ll come would you?” Jongdae sighed before drinking his water. Sometimes, making Yixing understand is a hard work. Wait. Wasn’t it always hard? He shrugged.

 

“Who’s gonna pay?”

 

“The customers,”

 

“Will they?”

 

“Of course they will! Hyung. Buying an extra cup of coffee won’t make you homeless too.”

Well, Jongdae did have a point.

 

Actually, Jongdae was right.

 

Right now, following Jongdae checking out the area for homeless did make him changed his perspective. Seeing them, all those homeless, crouching on their boxes, trying to collect body heat to fight the lonely and cold night. Yixing felt like crying. He thanked god for making him born in a well lived family. What hurts him the most was, from what he noticed, most of the homeless are old people. That made him think. Where are their family? Their children? Relatives?

 

He noticed Jongdae  was shaking beside him. But he knew it wasn’t the cold that affecting him. It was because this Kim Jongdae is a soft-hearted man. He patted the younger back.

 

They continued searching for almost an hour and the final result, they found almost 30 homeless currently living in their neighborhood. From the look on Jongdae’s face he knew the younger wouldn’t wait long for him to start his project.

 

------------------

 

Jongdae displayed his sweetest smile and thanked her while handing her her coffee. He sighed in satisfaction as the customer leave. She had paid for 3 cups. 1 for her and another 2 for the homeless who would come and asked for a pending coffee. Well, she wasn’t the first one actually. Since his café was quite famous in the town what he offered and promoted always got great response. And this time wasn’t an exception. That’s why he didn’t hesitate when he said he wanted to start the pending coffee project. In fact, he thought he should start a long time ago.

 

Another customer came in and this time it was an old man. From his look Jongdae sure he was a homeless too. He smiled.

 

“Would you like a coffee?”

 

-----------------

 

Jongdae was wiping the counter, getting ready to call it a day. First day of his project wasn’t disappointing at all. In fact, he could rub Yixing’s face with cups all he wanted. He sang along to a ballad played from his mix tape. He stopped wiping when the door opened. He smiled to the customer. He observed for a bit and wow, he was quite young. And he was cute too. He cleared his throat as he realized he was staring.

 

“Sorry. What can I get for you?” He politely asked. The café was almost its closing time but one more customer won’t hurts.

 

“Uhm..I-I saw that you have pending coffee. Do y-you s-still have one?” His lips quivering and oh how Jongdae hate it when people look so cold like that. “Yes. Please have a sit. Your coffee will be served in few minutes.”

 

And like he promised, few minutes later  he served the coffee which the man accepted with a thank you. Jongdae tried to look for something to do but without he realized he was staring to the stranger again. Yes, he was young. Maybe around his age. Or maybe a bit younger. His hands still a bit shaking, just like his steps when he got in earlier. His hair was sticking out in every possible way and his clothes was crinkled. He never saw the man before and Jongdae was just that curious.

 

He was about to open his mouth when the man suddenly fall from his seat. He let out not so manly scream. Well, that was something to think later. He ran to the man on the floor and frantically tried to wake him up. He felt his forehead and god  it was burning Jongdae thought his palm gonna turn into ashes.

 

He effortlessly lifted the man to a couch-mentally praised himself for including a couch into the deco-and picked up a blanket from the small room where he kept his stuff.

 

After securely blanketed him he brought a bowl of water with a handkerchief. He wiped his sweating face and then dampened the same handkerchief and placed it on his forehead. Every 5 minutes he dampen the cloth again. He tried to stay calm because OHMYGOD A MAN JUST FAINTED IN HIS CAFÉ and he didn’t even know him.

He waited. 5 minutes. 10 minutes. 20 minutes. 30 minutes. 1 hour. And without he realized, he fall asleep.

 

-----------------

 

He glanced to his left and right. Clear. He grinned. Swift but carefully he sneaked to the kitchen. He knew he wasn’t supposed to do that but he haven’t eaten since yesterday and stealing a couple of fruits or maybe bread won’t hurt.

 

Madame Tess was known as a witch to the employees. Everyone in that house didn’t like her. She collected slaves-as what she always said-and used them to the full. And Baekhyun was one of them. She would only feed them once in a day but the portion always not enough and everyone would fight for the food. Usually he will get the food but that day Madame Tess made him work under the sunlight for the whole day and by the time the food was given he was out of energy. That’s why there he was. Trying to sneak into the kitchen for some food. Risky but he had to try.

 

His steps were a little bit shaky as he still tired from yesterday’s work when he entered the kitchen. No one was there. He let out the breath he didn’t realized he was holding. He looked around as he searched for something edible. Lucky him, he found a cabinet where the bread were kept. He was about to grab one when something hard hit his back. He collapsed to his left and god it feels like his back gonna break anytime. He saw what had been thrown to him-a vase.

 

Madame Tess was shrieking like a mad woman and profanities flowing like river from . His eyes widened when she grabbed another vase to throw it to him. He scrambled on his feet, escaping the kitchen. He knew he won’t be safe if he stay at the house so he ran. He ran until his feet hurt but he didn’t stop. He didn’t realized a car approaching him and----

 

“Sir,” Someone called.

 

“Sir, wake up.” He felt faint slap on his cheek.

 

“SIR!” He opened his eyes. Pupils wandered vigorously as his body shaking. He registered the worried face front of him. The café owner. The man supported his head  and helped him to drink a glass of water. His breathing was still heavy by the time he finished the water. The man then helped him to sit properly and sat beside him. He just looked when the man took the cloth on his forehead, soak it in water, rinsed it and wiped his sweating face and neck. He swears he smelled like garbage but the man didn’t disgusted at all. Instead, his face was calm.

 

“What’s your name?” The man asked as he put the cloth into the bowl of water. He noticed the man’s lips curled when he talked and the way he smiled almost took his breath away. “Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun.” His voice croaked. The man praised him for having such a beautiful name. He blushed. “My name is Kim Jongdae. Just call me Jongdae. I’m 24 so you’re my dongsaeng or hyung?” “Dongsaeng,” He mumbled. His face fell to deep scarlet when Jongdae ruffed his hair and said he was cute.

 

“You have a place to stay tonight?” He shook his head. Jongdae looked like he was expecting an explanation. “Do you know Madame Tess?” That one question, he noticed, changed Jongdae’s expression so he assumed Jongdae knew about her. “I stayed there.” Jongdae looked like he’s gonna flip the table.

 

----------------

 

“Sorry for keeping you. I’ll leave now.” Baekhyun said as he stood from the couch. “What? Where are you going?” Jongdae looked like a boy who lost his parents. The younger bowed to him and took his leave. Jongdae blinked his eyes. What? Did he just leave? He stared at the closed door. The café suddenly felt like grave. He didn’t know why. His heart felt heavy. He looked around the café and then his eyes fell to the door.

 

Did I just let him go?

 

----------------

 

Coldness enveloped him as soon as he opened the café door. He shivered as soon as he stepped outside. Meeting Jongdae was like a bright light right on his dark path but he didn’t have the courage to say it. He chuckled. For the first time in 5 years, he managed to laugh. But now, he didn’t sure when he would be able to hear his own cheerful voice again. Maybe never. No. he won’t go back to Madame Tess’s hell. He’s got enough.

 

Managed to escape from that hell was more than enough to him. He didn’t know what was waiting him in the outside but he will try to live. He stepped forward to cross the street but a hand stopped him. Grabbing him by the wrist, making his body twisted to look back. He didn’t expected to see him again when he just left. His face was worried and there was a little hint of possessiveness there. He felt like the air was out of his system when he said,

 

“You are staying with me and that’s final.”

 

-----------------

 

Baekhyun stared at the television front of him. He knew how to use it but he didn’t feel like watching anything. Honestly, it was quite boring doing nothing like this. He was used to do work until he collapsed but Jongdae forbid him from doing anything. Jongdae didn’t even let him use the kitchen when he wanted to fix their breakfast that morning. Jongdae gently pushed him to the living room, made him sit on the couch and handed him the remote control. He just watched the elder preparing breakfast for them. So, after they ate, he insisted on doing the dishes. But after Jongdae left for the café, he didn’t have anything to do. Jongdae didn’t let him go with him-he insisted Baekhyun needed a lot of rest-so there he was.

 

He snuggled into his Jongdae’s blanket and sighed in content. It had been a long time since he managed to have this kind of comfort. The bed he had back at Madame Tess’s place didn’t deserved to be called bed. Jongdae’s couch was way much better. Plus the comfort of Jongdae’s clothes and the warmness of the blanket, he couldn’t be more thankful. He yawned and let the sleepiness embraced him.

 

When he woke up that afternoon, it was still early and Jongdae won’t be back until 9 pm. He decided to give himself a tour around the house so he started from the backyard. There was nothing there except for empty big lawn. Jongdae’s house was big he noticed. Jongdae must felt lonely he thought, since he was living alone. Of course, before he moved in last night. He moved to left side of the house. There was a wooden shelve where Jongdae put his cactus collection.

 

He almost explored every part of the house when Jongdae’s home telephone rang. He  hesitated to pick up the phone but then remembered Jongdae said he would call in.

 

“Hello.”

 

“Hey, Baek. It’s me. Jongdae. Uhm..what do you want for dinner? I’m gonna buy dinner after I close the shop.”

 

“Jongdae. Can I cook?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“N-no. I mean. Let me cook dinner for us.”

 

“B-but—“

 

“Just consider this as my thanks to you for allowing me to stay at your house.”

 

“Sure.”

 -------------------

 

Jongdae chuckled as he slip his phone into the front pocket of the apron he was wearing. He already said to the younger not to thank him. He was doing what a human being should do. He should have done the same even the person wasn’t Baekhyun. Right?  But honestly, he was anticipating what Baekhyun might prepare for them.

 

His smile didn’t falter when a certain customer came in. He was delighted instead. Every time they came, Jongdae couldn’t stop smiling. His jaw hurts sometimes.

 

“Taeoh-ah~” He cooed. He stepped out of the counter and kneed with his arms wide open; ready to embrace the running little boy. “Aigoo~~don’t run like that.” He ruffed the little boy’s hair. Taeoh just giggled. To him, Jongdae wasn’t scary at all. “Where’s appa?” He asked as he lifted the boy from the floor. Taeoh pointed to the door before securing his cute little hands around Jongdae’s neck.

 

Right after that, a man came in and he looked like he just participated in a marathon. He huffed and puffed few times before taking his steps to Jongdae. “You left your appa again, huh, naughty boy?” Jongdae playfully pinched his nose.  The man exhaled heavily and attempted to fetch his son from Jongdae. But the boy wriggled from Jongdae’s hand and let himself slide to the ground. “That’s because appa is so slow.” He said sassily while walking away from them. Jongin shrugged before following his son who already at the cake display; ogling to the variety of choose available.

 

-----------------

 

“What!?” Jongin chocked on the coffee he was drinking. Jongdae rolled his eyes. He knew he will get this kind of respond. The younger took the tissue Jongdae gave him with rounded eyes. “Don’t be too loud. Taeoh is sleeping.” Jongin glanced to his son beside him while wiping his stained coat. The little boy was having a slumber after finishing his blueberry cheesecake.

 

“Hyung, are you even aware what you’ve done?” Jongdae bored a look right into his eyes. “I’m not high.” “Ughhh…I mean, you don’t even know him.” “That I know. Don’t need to remind me.” Jongin gave him that ridiculous stare. “Then—“ “Oh, shut up.” He stuffed a bun into the younger’s mouth before heading to behind the counter.

 

--------------------

 

It had been a week. And Baekhyun can’t stand this anymore. Of course he was thankful. He still is. But Jongdae need to stop treating him like he was the most fragile thing in the universe. It’s simple actually. He’s staying at Jongdae’s. So by right, he should do something to repay his kindness. He could do anything. Get a job. Do the house chores. Help him at the café maybe. He didn’t know how to brew coffee. But he was good with cleaning. But Jongdae didn’t let him doing anything. He sighed loudly.

 

“What’s that sigh for?” he heard followed by a click of the door. He hastily looked back at the book he was holding. Damn. He was so lost in thought that he forgot he was reading earlier.

 

“Oh? You’re reading.” Jongdae pouted.  He placed a takeout bag and a big bottle of soda on the coffee table and went to the kitchen to fetch two cups for them. Baekhyun scratched his non-itchy neck while staring at the book. He needed to think of something. Jongdae must let him do something. He couldn’t just sit back and let Jongdae do all the work when he as the one who came into his life like a wrecking ball.

 

“Baekhyun. Let’s eat or I’m gonna finish this on my own.” Jongdae said not taking off his eyes from the television. Biting his lips, the younger male left the sofa and made himself comfortable on the floor beside Jongdae. “Here.” Jongdae handed him a plastic glove. He salivated at the sight of spicy chicken feet. Oh my god. It looks delicious. “Thanks.”  

 

Jongdae was devouring his sixth chicken feet –yup, Baekhyun counted- so he thought it was a great time to tell him because Jongdae became really happy when he was eating and there’s high chance they could talk this off. He refilled Jongdae’s cup with soda and received a skeptical look from the older man. He grinned. Not forgetting his best to show his sparkling eyes. Please make it work.

 

“Hyung.”

 

------------------

 

Baekhyun was fashioned with his toothy smile as he followed Jongdae to his café. Finally. Finally the older let him do some work. But he insisted Baekhyun to work at his café as he said—wait, he didn’t say anything. But Baekhyun guessed that he just didn’t want him to involve with bad employer again. Madame Tess was more than enough.

 

He inhaled deeply as they entered the café. He liked the smell of  coffee and fresh bread. He looked around and just realized how big Jongdae’s café was. The last time he came was the night he fainted and Jongdae had helped him –he blushed of the thought- and that time he was too weak to observe his surrounding.

 

Jongdae stopped talking as he didn’t hear the sound of Baekhyun shoes. When he turned back he saw the younger practically had his jaw dropped on the floor while his eyes wildly taking in the interior of his café. He chuckled. Baekhyun could be cute sometimes. So cute that it’s not good for his heart. He took an apron from the storeroom and a broom before making his way to him.

 

He leaned the broom at nearest table and approached the still gaping boy. Their height didn’t have much difference but looking at him now standing at his second heaven (his bed is 1st) and wearing his clothes made him looked so adorable and small. Small that just right for his arms to embrace.

 

He work his arms around his slim waist startling the younger. His breath hitched as he felt Jongdae’s warm breath touched his exposed neck. “H-hyu-hyung” He breathed out. “Stay still.” The older man rasped two octaves lower than his usual voice. Baekhyun felt like his two foot gonna give up anytime. He was gonna say something but ohmygod Jongdae stand too close and everytime he felt Jongdae’s breath on his neck his heart failed to function.

 

“All done.” Jongdae announced with his usual cherry voice. He ruffled Baekhyun’s hair before leaving him at the center of the café. As soon as Jongdae was out of his view his legs decided to give up and he fell not so gracefully on the floor. His face was red –he was sure of that- .

 

 

OHMYGOD IT ENDED ALREADY????!! NAH. I'M DOING THIS IN 2 PARTS xD SO MAKE SURE TO COMMENT A LOT SO I'LL HAVE MORE MOTIVATION TO FINISH THIS. YUP. I'M KINDA WITCH. BYE LOVES~~