1/1

betting on you (jeollanamdo)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ㅁㅁㅁ

Jaebum laughs as Jinyoung collapses onto the bench. "Rough day?" He asks his best friend, laughing.

 

"You say that as if he's even been awake for more than an hour," Jooheon, Jinyoung's classmate, chimes in as he walks towards his locker.

 

Jinyoung groans from his position, having moved his head to Jaebum's lap. "I didn't even sleep that well."

 

"Did you hear about the new international student?" Jaebum asks, idly playing with Jinyoung's hair. "Apparently he got invited to try out for the soccer team."

 

At this, Jinyoung's whole body shoots up. Any new player was competition. "What class was he transferred into?" He asks, and then after a little thought, "How did he get into this school?"

 

Hanlim High School was a prestigious school where only the top students of rich parents where accepted into. Of course there were exceptions, like Hirai Momo, who got in due to her grades and was currently a scholar, but there were only five or six students like her.

 

Jaebum coaxes Jinyoung back into a relaxed position, and says softly, "You know you're basically up next for the vice captain position. I already convinced Hyunwoo-hyung and even Minho sunbae that you were the best fit, I don't even know why you're worrying."

 

Making a noise of protest, Jinyoung wriggles and insists that Jaebum give him the information about the new transferee. Sighing, Jaebum complies, of course. He never seems to be able to withhold anything from his best friend. "He's from Hong Kong, from your yearㅡ the class after yours, if I'm not wrong."

 

He pulls a face before continuing, "His parents are coaches for fencing and gymnastics, and they get paid a lot, I guess. Maybe they own a training school, who knows?" Shrugging, Jaebum stretches and beckons towards the field. "I'll be warming up, go and change."

 

Then, when Jinyoung makes a strangled noise, "If you don't hurry, you won't be able to see his skills!"

 

At that, Jinyoung gets up and rushes to take his bag.

ㅁㅁㅁ

It's not like Jinyoung feels threatened in any way towards the new guy. He's friends with various soccer players who are foreigners, like Mina and Jia from the girls' team, or Junhui, the freshman and new addition to the team. He's just curious to see his skills, like all the other players who have gathered to watch him.

 

He's not even jealous of the special invitation he received from Coach Chansung, or the attention he so quickly garnered. Or how fast he got recognition for his footwork when he only got into the school two days ago. Jealous Jinyoung? Definitely not.

 

Or, that's what he tries to convince himself. A competitor? Of course not. Jinyoung has only lost the MVP title to his best friend and current vice captain. He even beat out the captain, Hyunwoo, once. Of course he's next in line.

 

The troubled Jinyoung jogs up to join the captains themselves, who seem to be gossiping about the transferee. He bows and greets the oldest, starting to warm up. He laughs at Changkyun's, a new addition, reaction to the way his shorts rode up and the curve of his .

 

The new kid might be good, but he won't have a body like mine, Jinyoung thinks smugly.

 

Coach Chansung blows the whistle and they all gather around him. Beside him, a slightly short boy is standing, laughing loudly. His laugh is loud and boisterous and Jinyoung already hates him. Jaebum pushes Jinyoung forward as their coach introduces the new guy.

 

"Now, everyone, I'm sure you've heard a lot about this new, gifted player I've personally invited to try out for our team. Please, introduce yourself."

 

The new guy steps forward, smiling. He was in training gear, but there was a black snapback adorning his head, with the word 'WANG' shining at the front. He takes it off, and suddenly does a front flip. The players whoop, and some of the girls from the other team stop and stare.

 

"Hello, I'm Jackson, but you can call me 'wild and y'." He turns and waves at the girls. Jinyoung lets out a long breath, already tired by all the things Jackson was doing. Jaebum smiles, nodding in approval.

 

Shaking his head, Jinyoung nudges his best friend, making a noise of disagreement. Jaebum makes a face, but when Jackson finally sets his eyes on Jaebum, he shouts, "Hey, hey, hey, striker king!"

 

He almost moves forward to take a closer look and properly greet Jaebum until Chansung pulls him back. "You'll have a chance to properly interact with the vice captain when you finish your tryout."

 

Jinyoung makes a face again. What, first the new guy wants to steal his spot as the star player, then his best friend, what's next, his favorite junior? He moves to the bleachers, shooting his fangirls a small smile as they bow and wave at him.

 

Raising his eyebrow in question, Hyunwoo asks, "What's up with you? You're usually very friendly with them. Today you're so tense." After another thought he continues, "It's because of Jackson, right?"

 

"Wow, you've just met and you call him so casually now, sunbae?" Jinyoung asks, voice laced with sarcasm. The older boy just puts his arms up in surrender and doesn't mind him. He knows better than to humor Jinyoung when he's starting to get into a foul mood.

 

Jackson stands at one end of the field, having all their best defenders in front of him. Jinyoung has battled against his own teammates, and he's very sure that Jackson will have a hard time trying to get past them.

 

Without any warning, Jackson starts to dribble the ball. Surprisingly, he gets past Kihyun and Jooheon quite well, and Jinyoung squints from his place. He feels Jaebum shoot him a worried look, but he ignores it. No way he could score so quickly, right?

 

But Jackson does, and so quickly that if you turned away, you would miss it. All the defenders and even their goalkeeper are shell shocked, but rather happy that they had such a gifted player on their side.

 

"You're definitely in," Coach Chansung says, patting Jackson's back, "Welcome to the team." Jaebum's face had a father's smile on and  Jinyoung lets out a shaky breath as he pinches the bridge of his nose.

 

This was not going to be an easy ride, especially if Jackson was up to threaten his position. Jinyoung already had a bad feeling he would.

 

("Starting a bet? I thought you wouldn't, after what happened in the soccer team the last time you did."

"Well, things are getting very interesting, because there's a new player trying to spice up Jinyoung's life."

"I bet twenty he'll beat Jinyoung out of his supposed vice captain position."

"Thirty for me, and no way he'll be able to with Jaebum so closely watching. I'm Team Jinyoung.")

ㅁㅁㅁ

Jackson bounces over to where Jinyoung and Jaebum, accompanied by Dahyun, Chaeyoung, Jooheon and Bambam are sitting in the cafeteria, smiling. "Hi!" He greets brightly, and Jinyoung frowns from where he was about to stuff some mango pudding in his mouth.

 

Smiling, Jaebum motions for him to sit as Dahyun and Chaeyoung giggle. "He's so muscular, oh gosh," the annoyed Jinyoung hears Chaeyoung whisper. He shoots her an disbelieving look, since his group of friends should already know who he likes and dislikes, but Chaeyoung just sticks her tongue out at him.

 

"Not as handsome as Jinyoung-oppa, though." Dahyun blushes and grins at Jinyoung. Jinyoung nods approvingly, of course his favorites would support him. Jackson's high pitched laugh breaks him out of his moment of pride, and he flinches.

 

"I don't think you've formally met Jinyoung yet," Jaebum says, gesturing towards his best friend. Jinyoung has the fake eye smile down even as he introduces himself to the Hong Kong native.

 

"And you have, hyung?" He almost bites out. Well, as much bite as he can put in a whisper. He turns back to the new person who sat at their table.

 

"I'm Jinyoung." He bows with it, and even giggles a little. "I hope we can be friends." By this time he's already dropped formalities, and maybe that's the problem. (He thinks over it some time later and shakes his head. He made himself look like an airhead who can just be looked over. He groans and drops his head on the table.)

 

"Hello, I'm Jackson, from Hong Kong." Jackson says formally, and from beside Jinyoung, Jaebum winces at the tone.

 

Jinyoung personally scoffs, and nods. "We're same aged friends, aren't you being too polite?"

 

"Too polite?" Jackson replies, tone all too light and smile too bright, Jaebum winces again. "But I've heard you're all for too polite, Jinyoung-shi."

 

At that, Jinyoung gapes and Jaebum chortles with laughter.

 

Later, Jinyoung steams over the backhanded diss. "How dare he," Jinyoung basically seethes, even after Jackson has left to join some of his friends. "He basically dissed me by saying I'm uptight!"  

 

Dahyun pats his back comfortingly as Bambam makes a noise of disappointment. Jaebumㅡever the erㅡ laughs in Jinyoung's face and his eyes have a certain twinkle, and Jinyoung narrows his eyes. "If you think about it," Jaebum has his knowing face on, smirking, "It seems that he humored your serious side and even researched about you. Maybe to flirt with you?"

 

"Of course he did!" Jinyoung almost screams at his best friend, and Chaeyoung and Dahyun grimace, not wanting to hear Jinyoung's new rant coming, quietly excusing themselves. Jooheon quietly exhales and Bambam gives his hyung a worried look, but stays silent.

 

"He would research about me, I'm popular, right? He needs to ㅡ wait what? Flirt with me?" His jaw drops at the realization of Jaebum's offhand comment. How could he say such things?!

 

"Don't be dumb, hyung, we're not even sure whether he swings that way." Jinyoung splutters out, but the alarming shade of red his face was coloring into showed that he was overwhelmed by the thought of Jackson flirting with him. "We're supposed to fight to the death! There isn't time for play like this."

 

"You don't even know whether Coach Chansung will pit you against him for the position!" Jaebum all but bursts and his best friend just ignores him.   

 

The older just frowns and tries to control his facial expression. Jinyoung contemplates this thought with an unknowing expression and catches himself. "This is stupid. Get yourself together, Jinyoung-ah!"   

 

At the other side of the cafeteria, where Jackson finds his group of friends, he relates his first real meeting with the real MVP of the soccer team. "He smiled and everything, but he really seems like he doesn't like me."

 

"I wouldn't either, you're so loud," Jimin complains. "And anyway, I heard his type was the mysterious silent type? He's already got Jaebum by his side. It seems like those two are never going to part ways or something."

 

Jackson pulls a face and mulls the thought over with a serious expression. "Ah, Park Jinyoung, you're really an ice prince. But don't worry, because I'll be your knight of fire. Just you watch, I'll capture your heart!"

 

The attention of Mark gets caught by the mention of the name of Jackson's new eye candy. "Wait, Park Jinyoung? As in the Peach Park Jinyoung?"

 

"Yeah hyung, how'd you know?"

 

"No wonder Jimin was so worked up trying to distract your attention to his best friend. Our Jimin here, has a crush on Jaebum." He laughs and then Jackson's question. "He's my tutor for Korean history. It used to be Jaebum, before he started failing."

 

"Wait, what? You go on study dates together?" Jackson's eyes are disbelieving and almost heartbroken.

 

"No, bro, I'm straight."

 

"So is spaghetti until it's wet," Jackson retorts nonchalantly and then narrows his eyes. "You must have his number then, hyung! Set me up!"

 

The rest of the lunch period was filled with Mark and Jackson's bickering and one sided insults coming from the latter's potty mouth. Yerin pats Yugyeom's back comfortingly as he groans and complains about how terrible his choice of friends were.


 

("I place my bet that Jackson will be able to get a date with Jinyoung-hyung. He's obviously done some research, and Yugyeom told me that Mark-hyung almost got forced to give Jackson-hyung his number."

"Jinyoung's style consists of lots of chivalry, and if Jackson continues to be some sort of goofy kid who's just threatening his place, he isn't going to fall."

"You're his best friend, of course you'd know. You're going to win the bet!"

"You have Yugyeom, an insider, on your side!"

"He's also convinced you and Jinyoung-hyung are dating, so that's that.")

ㅁㅁㅁ

A few days later, the whole soccer team gathers at the field for a sudden practice. People whisper around Jinyoung, asking if he's heard anything from Jaebum. Of course he refutes their claims, and that's the truth.

 

He walks up to where Kihyun and Jooheon were standing, laughing and pushing each other. "What did Chansung-hyung call us here for?"

 

"Oh, Jinyoung? Didn't you hear? Today's the announcement for the stepping down of Hyunwoo-hyung." Jooheon says, surprised at his lack of knowledge. "I thought you would've heard from Jaebum or something."

 

Shrugging, Jinyoung stretches and tries to shake off his nervous energy. "You're probably excluded from knowing because you're gonna be crowned next." Kihyun pats Jinyoung's back comfortingly, and the aforementioned nods. That's probably why.

 

"Not even me, Kihyun?! What about me?!" Jooheon bursts, half jokingly. They start bickering and mocking each other like the rowdy teenagers they were. Just then, Chansung calls the whole team over.

 

in a deep breath, Jinyoung tries to cheer himself on. "This is an important announcement, so everyone listen up!" Minho, the captain of the previous year, calls out. Everyone stiffens at his presence. He wasn't called the Flaming Feet for nothing.

 

"Since the Sooneung exams are coming soon, we, the seniors have decided that now is the best time to step down to focus on getting into college." Hyunwoo calls, and some cheeky members of the team fake cry and wipe fake tears from their eyes at the words, earning laughs from everyone.

 

"Without further ado, we call upon the new captain, Im Jaebum!" Jaebum walks up to the front, and Jinyoung grins, whooping and whistling for his best friend. "Please give a few words."

 

But also being the best best friend that he was, Jinyoung tunes out as Jaebum drones about how thankful he was for the chance to be able to lead the team. The latter glances at Jinyoung, who was spacing out, probably trying to cheer himself on and get the vice captain position. Hyunwoo takes off the captain's band and passes it to Jaebum, who bows gratefully.

 

But really, everyone knew Jaebum was next, so everyone was really just looking forward to the next captain. "Now, what everyone has been curious about," Hyunwoo smiles, "the vice captain position goes to... Sorry, Jooheon, it's not you either, this year."

 

Jooheon groans and shouts spitefully yet playfully, "I knew you all had something against me!"   

 

That honestly relieved Jinyoung's stiffness and doubts a little, and he's thankful that's he's got people he's so comfortable with. Jinyoung snaps out of his trance just as Hyunwoo says, "The next vice captain, Park Jinyoung, everyone!"

 

He gives a surprised face although everyone isn't surprised. Jooheon slaps his back good-heartedly and threatens, "Do well, or I'll take your place." He salutes his teammate as he makes his way to the front to take the and he gets handed the hair band that has the words "JYP/MVP/VC", especially embroidered for him.

 

He literally almost has the band put on his head until Coach Chansung suggests a preposterous idea. "Minho, have you met one of our very talented players, Jackson? He's almost as good as Jinyoung. Don't you think this calls for a challenge?"

 

He continues, "Vice captain Jinyoung, would you accept the challenge of having Jackson fighting for the same position?"

 

Jinyoung can't even do anything but laugh at the crazy idea. He's been pining for this position ever since he came into the team, and he's just going to be against someone who was in the team for literally three days?!

 

Almost rejecting, the not-so vice captain accidentally meets his best friend's eyes. Jaebum nods and that's when Jinyoung decides that he should. To prove everyone that he was the MVP, he should be the vice captain.

 

At this time, Jackson is standing in front of everyone as well, adding fuel to the fire burning in Jinyoung to beat this guy. "Okay, I accept. Being challenged is inevitable, being defeated is optional, after all." He sticks out his hand and Jackson shakes it.

 

What Jackson was thinking in his head, well, mainlyㅡ 'Damn, I'm screwed' and also 'Damn, Jinyoung looks hot when he's worked up'.

 

He makes his mind up as well, and he raises his hand as the attention to him,  "Can I have a reward if I win?"

 

Jaebum steps up at this time, "What, from Jinyoung? No kneeling! We are all equal sportsmen!"

 

"Calm down, Striker Kingㅡ I mean captain, I would never do such a thing to Jinyoung-shi. Just..." Jackson scratches the back of his neck, embarrassed. "Go on a date with me if I win."

 

Because of these words, Jaebum gets even more worked up and Jinyoung pulls him back. "Stop, hyung, you're embarrassing yourself in front of the whole team!" He turns to Jackson as Jaebum straightens up and bows to the long forgotten seniors. "And to you, I accept, because I'm sure you won't win."

 

The glint in Jinyoung's eyes meant business, and the disbelieving squawk from Jaebum meant business too, and Jackson knows he's met a worthy rival.


 

("Wait, is it too late to change bets? Jinyoung looks as if he'd kill Jackson just for the position."

"He's gonna kill you too, if he finds out you bet on Jackson. Although I'm betting on Jinyoung, I have a feeling Jackson might win. He really seems to like Jinyoung-hyung."

"Ah? For the date? Okay, I take it back. I'll leave my bet with Jackson.")

ㅁㅁㅁ

 

The instructions for the upcoming big match was simple. Gather your team, and get ready to fight.

 

Jinyoung was currently walking around with his capta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter