Final

Keep Your Friend Close, And Enemy Closer

What two taxonomic domains are divided based on the presence, or absence, of peptidoglycan?

.

That was the nth time Taemin read that question but he was nowhere close to remembering the answer. He could feel the perfect score getting further away from his grasp.

Damn it. Why must stuff like this happen in finals?

He turned his head to see Jinki, his most hated rival and the top-ranked student in their class, he was leaning back on his seat, eyes closed, closed question sheet and all. He must've known all the answers. Jinki turned to him and winked, a smug smirk on his lips. 

Taemin rolled his eyes and turned his head back, making an exaggerated puking expressions as he did.

 

He's gonna lose again to Jinki if this goes on. 

ing biology.

 

"Class, next month, there's a science competition held in the town hall, two players on each class, anyone interested?" Their homeroom teacher explained, Taemin scanned the whole room, watching on who would want to volunteer. After a minute or so, still no one. Should he? "Well, the subjects tested are Math, Psychics, Chemistry, and Biology."  

 

ing biology. 

Taemin was thinking about how much he despise biology when he realized everyone in front of him was basically turning their whole body to stare at him. "What?"

"Taemin, would you be willing to be one of our players? We could use someone that's really good at math."

Oh, stop it you.

"Sure, I don't mind." The teacher beamed and nodded.

"Great. Now we got two players; Jinki and Taemin." Wait, what?  

"Jinki?"

"Yeah, you two are the top ranked student in this class so you're the best students to do it!" Great. Just great. Had he known, he wouldn't have agreed to this. It's because he was thinking about biology that he missed that part.

 

ing biology.

 

"Okay, so when will we study from now on? afterschool? Do you have extra courses? Where?" Jinki walked steadily beside him even though he tried his best to walk really fast. He was sure he was half running by now.

"Um, at our own respected spaces? Alone? At our own time? Alone?" Taemin raised an eyebrow, as if it was obvious.

"Well, no, I mean wouldn't studying together be better? We can ask each other stuff we didn't understand and teach each other stuff." Taemin thought for a while, Jinki did have a point.

"Fine, this afternoon, 5 P.M. cafe in front of school, but if it turns out that I study better by myself then, our own seperate places." Jinki grinned and nodded.

"Call."

 

Taemin walked into the cafe at 5.04, he knew exactly the time because he had been checking non stop. He was afraid to be early, he hates waiting so he'd rather have the other person waiting.

"You're late." Jinki cut him off as soon as he opened his mouth to do a greeting. Taemin widens his eyes and defended himself.

"Four minutes late! I don't think it should be even mentioned, I mean four minutes cmon." Jinki just shrugged and continued scribbling on his book. Taemin sat down across him and started pulling his stuff out of his bag.

"What are we studying today?" Taemin asked as he put on his glasses.

"Biology- why are you wearing glasses?" Taemin raised and eyebrow, his question was weird as heck.

"Excuse me?"

"Glasses-"

"Because I need them?" Jinki nodded and turning his head back to the books, as if that was an approppriate answer.

"Nah, it's just that you don't need them in school." Jinki mumbles, but loud enough for it to be heard.

"I do need them, I just wear contacts to impress people." Jinki hummed and nodded.

"You look better with it though." Jinki commented, barely audible so Taemin decided to pretend not to hear. He just went on and read the books that was sprawled in front of him.

ing biology.

"Jinki, let's not go to the cafe today-" Taemin half pleaded when he finally caught up with the other afterschool. He had been studying in that cafe for a week now and he was afraid he's going to get addicted to caffein.

"Why? You have something to get to?" Jinki asked, now slowing down his pace. 

"No, I don't want to get addicted to coffee." Jinki laughed and nodded.

"Same. But, where are we going to study then?" Taemin ponders for a while.

"Um, we can study in my house if you don't mind." The other nodded in agreement.

"Sure! Text me your adress."

 

"Do you want something to drink?" Taemin asked as he guide the other to his room.

"Nah, I'm fine." Jinki answered, plopping down to the side of his bed, looking around. "Ah! you collect those too?" He pointed to Taemin's collection of albums.

"Ah! these too!" He said as he walked closer to the shelf full of figurines. "We actually have tons in common!" He turned and grinned at him. Taemin laughed and waved him over.

"Sure, sure. But let's do the thing we are commonly good at." He said pointing to the stack of books in front of him. 

"Ah~ but I'm not in the mood today." Taemin raised an eyebrow. "Let's watch a movie!" Jinki proposed, pointing at the TV in his room.

"What happened to you today?" Taemin asked while eyeing him suspiciously, a smile still plastered on his lips. "But, Call."

 

"What two taxonomic domains are divided based on the presence, or absence, of peptidoglycan?"  

Are. you. kidding. me.

Taemin looked around, why did the biology question only came when it was his turn to answer? His eyes met Jinki's, his eyes were wide and he waved, encouraging him to answer. 'I taught you that' he mouthed.

ing biology.

"AH WAIT! " He half yelled, surprising the MC and other comtestants. "S-sorry." He immediately turned to Jinki, who was grinning so widely and giving him two thumbs. Taemin smiled in relief, with this they're gonna win.

"That's the correct answer!" The MC said, Taemin ran to his team's spot and subconsciously threw himself to Jinki who welcomed him happily.

"We won!!" They chanted, while the MC continued and announced them the winner. After a while, they both stepped backward and coughed awkwardly.

"So.. no more afterschool studies, huh?" Jinki asked, trying to shake off the sort of awkward air around them.

"Well, new school year's gonna come up soon so if you want to, you know, get ahead of the class- don't leave me out." What Taemin said even surprises himself, but he insisted that he was 'keeping the enemy closer'