February 18th, 2003

Scarlet

"Minnie, why did you do it?" the teacher questioned.

 

 

The little girl kept shut, refusing to answer any questions. She held her head down, using her hair as a curtain so she wouldn't have to look at the adults in front of her.

 

 

Her mom knelt down in front of her, taking her small hands in her bigger ones. "Baby girl, won't you tell mommy? I won't yell at you, I promise. Just tell us the truth, alright?" she tried convincing her.

 

 

Minnie nibbled on her bottom lip.

 

 

"They were—"

 

 

She paused, debating if she should continue or not.

 

 

"Go on, sweetheart. It's okay," her mom reassured. 

 

 

"They were making fun of Youngjae," she whispered, "and I didn't like it. So that's why I did it."

 

 

The adults stood there speechless.

 

 

"Why would they make fun of Youngjae?" her mom asked her.

 

 

Minnie's lips quivered as tears threatened to fall from her doe eyes. "It's all my fault! They were teasing him because we're always playing together and he does all the girly things with me! They think he has cooties because of me," she cried.

 

 

Her mom let out a heavy sigh before enveloping the child in a hug. "Did you really have to push them off the slide though?"

 

 

She shook her head. "I panicked! I'm sorry," she wailed even louder.

 

 

After crying and explaining the whole story to the teachers, Minnie went home with a suspension and had to write apology letters to the boys she injured (although she wasn't apologetic about it at all).

 

 

She requested to be moved to a different class. In addition, she made a pledge to stay away from Youngjae.

 

 

She wasn't going to make the same mistake again.