Ginger Tea

Ginger Tea

You were sitting crossed-legged on the swing at the balcony of your apartment getting ready to celebrate New Year together. At first, you wanted to go out and have dinner before watching the New Year's fireworks together. Unfortunately, you caught a fever today and Hongbin insisted to stay home even after you begged for him to let you go out with him. 

"I don't want to risk your health for nothing, honey," he said while petting your head that still had a cooling patch sticked on it.

After Hongbin diligently covered you with an adequate layers of blankets, he went back inside to prepare some food.

You stared at the cityscape, sighing in content. You could not get over the fact that Hongbin is your boyfriend. He was such a sweetheart to the point that your heart aches everytime he did something sweet for you. Be it the smallest thing, it still had the same effect on you. Today that you caught a fever, he made you soup, he prepared a warm bath for you, gave you a massage and bought you medicines. 

Suddenly, you heard the door slid open and snapped out from your little daydream. You looked at the door and saw him in his white sweater holding a tray with two cups of hot drinks on it.

"Sorry, I make you wait," he said smiling apologetically. 

"No, it's okay," you shook your head and scooted away to give him enough space to sit.

Hongbin put the tray on the small table in front of him and handed you your drink before settling down beside you.

"Thank you, you shouldn't bother yourself to make all these for me. I just caught a fever, it's not that bad," you took the cup from him.

"I don't mind doing all these for you, not a bit. I do it because I want to. You don't have to thank me," he smiled sweetly and took his cup.

You took a sip of your drink but immediately pulled back with a scrunched face of shock and dissaproval. 

"What is this?" the taste was unfamiliar for you, though. It was a mixture of the bitter taste from the tea and some sort of spice? 

"Oh, ginger tea. It can make you sweat. Good to cool down your fever. I used to have this when I caught one," 

"Ginger?" the tangy taste stung your tongue. You never tasted one before and your body honestly just couldn't accept new taste fast enough. Usually, it takes time for you to get used to a taste to finally say whether it is tasty or not. So you couldn't help but to scrunch your face again everytime you sipped some. 

Hongbin, however, noticed this and chuckled. He then took the cup from you and put the one he had earlier in your hand. 

Embarrased, you quickly tried to stop him.

"No, no, it's okay! I am just trying to adjust to the taste, it's not that I don't like it," 

"It's okay, drink that hot chocolate it's your favourite after all," 

You started to feel guilty.

"Hongbin... Sorry," you mumbled.

"I told you it's okay. Besides, I haven't drink ginger tea for quite some time now," 

You looked down, still feeling guilty. But then, Hongbin pinched your cheek playfully and laughed.

"It's okaaaaaay," 

You let out a small laugh and hit his arm softly.

And then, you heard the sound of fireworks and the originally dark night sky turned brighter with the colours sparked in the air. 

"FIREWORKS!" you screamed over the loud sound of fireworks and put the cup on the table before pulling out your phone to take a picture of the beautiful colours you saw.

You looked at the fireworks in amusement. Your eyes sparkled at the sight of the beautiful shapes the sparks made. Your eyes caught a beautiful red hearts and roses shape and you pointed at it excitedly.

"Look! Hongbin! There are hearts and roses too!" you turned to look at him and your heart stopped beating when you saw he was staring at you smiling sweetly. And you noticed that he was a bit closer too.

He looked into your eyes in an adoring manner and brought his hand to softly carress your hair.

"Are you feeling better now?" the deep and sweet voice of his made you caught your breath. 

"Yeah, a lot," you said falling into his lovely eyes.

"Are you sure? Because your face is all red and hotter now," he let out a playful smirk.

You rolled your eyes jokingly. Before you could give any response, he cupped your face and slowly brought his face closer to yours.

"For another amazing year ahead," he whispered.

"For another amazing year ahead," you repeated and you felt his lips on yours.