Chapter 6

The Stranger

It’s been three months since Junho had to travel around the globe to meet his father’s business partners. Although he was very tired, he never dared to ignore his father’s order. Just after he was kicked out from Soeun’s apartment three months ago, he received a call from his father and he ordered him to visit their businesses outside Korea.

Today, finally he was home again and he took some time to plan where he would be going first after landed from his plane. Of course he really wanted to see the woman who had turned him into a thick face-crazy-shameless-chaser that was madly in love with the single mother.

At first he didn’t want to accept that the stage of his illness was beyond incurable because he just met her and barely knew her but that woman, Kim Soeun to be exact was maliciously spreading her venom on his brain, his lungs, his heart and on every organ he have. During the past three months without her, he felt like his body was functioning like a zombie. He cannot tell whether he was alive or dead. All he wanted to do was to be with her again.

He missed her, badly.

In conclusion, the final diagnosis confirms that Lee Junho is madly in love with Kim Soeun; signed by Dr Cupid

But, the last time he saw her, he knew that a hard titanium still shielding her heart and he couldn’t even find any loophole to break in.

In the end, he ended up at the day care centre where he could find his other lover. Luckily the little boy still remembered him after their three months separation.

Junho saw a lot of changes in him. He’s not wobbling around anymore as his legs got stronger, where he could even climbed the stair alone. Now Junho could understand him more as his pronunciations got better and they could have a nice conversation together.

As the time nearing for Soeun to fetch her son, Junho could feel the cold sweat started to accumulate on his body. He knew Soeun would strangle his neck if she heard her son calling him appa. Well it’s not his fault to begin with. When he showed up at the day care centre, the nannies welcome him open heartedly. They said; “Junwoo-ya, APPA want to see you” and “Wow, Junwoo’s APPA is so handsome” and “Junwoo looks like his APPA” and many sentence with appa in it.

So the little boy got confused and when he put his small hand on Junho’s cheek while asking him “Appa?” His heart suddenly beating so fast and overwhelm with joyfulness. He smiled at him and slowly nodding his head. That’s the story how he became an appa in a blink of eyes.

.

“I thought I won’t see you again.” The first thing Soeun said to him after a long silent. She was clearly shocked to see him but she chose to keep silent.

“You sounded like you miss me.” Junho smirked while side-glancing at her.  

“I did not!”    

Junho laughed his heart out while they were walking hand in hand with Junwoo in the middle. He realised the woman beside him was as red as strawberry and somehow he felt proud at the effect he caused her. Maybe the shield was slowly thinning.

Then they reached her front door again. Last time he really wanted to pee and not to trick her to let him went inside the house but maybe he forgot his manner and leaves a bad impression on her. That’s why he won’t ever try it again. Not until she voluntarily asking him to go to her house.

“Bye Soeun-shi” and he crouched down to kiss Junwoo’s cheek “bye Juni”.

“Bye appa!” and he sprinted away before he lost his life in Soeun’s hand.

.

Junho reached his house in Seoul at night. The chauffeur opened the car door for him and patiently waiting for him to go out. He looked at his house and took some time to stay inside the car. He then took a deep breath and finally stepped out from the car and slowly walked towards the house.

“How are you?”

“Fine.”

“I thought you will come home earlier.”

“I went out to see a friend.”

“Oh, okay. Sleep well son.”

“Thanks aboji.”

Junho watched his father’s retreating figure. Every time when he saw him, he couldn’t help to feel guilty at the old man. They used to be close like a magnet and they have lots of thing to talk but then it’s all changed, courtesy to him. It was all his fault. That’s why he promised himself to be a good son to his father and he willing to give up everything to be by his side.

“I miss you.” Junho suddenly felt warm when his body was hugged from behind by a petite figure.

He smiled at the touch and turning his body to hug her back. “I miss you too omoni.”

“Lie! If you really miss me, why don’t you come home straight from the airport?”

“I need to see a friend.”

“Need huh? I bet your friend is a girl right?”

“Maybe.” Junho chuckled a little when he heard his mother grunted her dissatisfaction.  

“Seems like I will lose you too.” Junho felt his mother tighten her hold on him.

“Never omoni. You will never lose me. Even when I’m married someday, you will never lose me. In fact, I will give you a daughter and lots of grandchildren.”

His mother smiled at his words and pushed him gently to see his face. “Promise?”

“Yes, I promise.”

.

“Junho-ya, I think you’re ready for your first project.”

Junho gulped his own saliva when he heard his father’s words. He suddenly felt a cold sweat started to drench his suits and he had to clench his fists to contain his nervousness. He knew sooner or later he has to do the inevitable job from his father. But, he was not ready.

“I…I don’t think I’m ready yet.”

“You have to try first then you will know whether you are ready or not.”

“But…but…” Junho tried to voice out his refusal.

“I plan to open a small resort in Jeju Island.” His father ignored what he was trying to say. “I discovered the place while visiting the island with your mother. The problem is, the landowner doesn’t want to sell his land to me.”

“So you want me to buy the land?”

“I want you to handle the whole phase, starting from acquiring the land until the opening ceremony of the resort.”

“What if I fail?”

His father’s office suddenly turned into an eerie silent while his father, Lee Sangmin slowly analysing him. Junho immediately turning his gaze away from his father because since he was a child he never dared to look into his father’s smouldering eyes.  His father slowly walked towards him and grabbed his shoulders. He forced Junho to look at him and said; “I trust you, son.”     

Finally Junho agreed to handle the project after his father unquestioningly agreed to his one and only conditions; he wanted a team from their Incheon branch. At least someone from Incheon will motivate him to come to work every day.

.

“Everybody, I want all of you to give a round of applause to yourself because we successfully build the hospital ahead from schedule.” Everyone in the meeting room including Soeun cheered loudly after hearing the announcement from Mr Jang. Although she was not involve in the project from the beginning since she started to work when 70% of the hospital was almost finish, she couldn’t help to feel tremendously happy with her first project.

“Yesterday I received a call from Ministry of Health and they are satisfied with the testing and commissioning of all equipment and medical devices. By next month they will start operating and receiving patients.” Mr Jang continued his speech when the loud cheer slowly died down. “Dongguk-shi, you will involve with the warranty management for the hospital so you will stay in the project for two years more.”

“So now I would like to announce more good news. Because of our strong achievement and success, we already have another project for us.” Mr Jang stood up and slowly walked towards the door while continuing to talk. “The project is special because we’ll get direct involvement from a very important person and I think all of you have already known him. I present you” he opened the door and calling someone outside. Soeun saw a silhouette of a man approaching the room and then she saw him, “Mr Lee Junho!”

The once cheerful room was suddenly felt into dead silence. Everyone was shocked because no one would think that the future owner of the Lee’s empire was the said VIP.

Soeun intentionally dropped her pen on the floor and took some time to retrieve it under the table. ‘Why him?’ She mentally asked the pen. She vouched to herself that she would punch his mouth when she sees him again for teaching her son to call him appa but how could she punch her own boss? She peeked from under the table until her eyes landed on the VIP. He looks nervous and pale while everyone else waiting for his introduction.

“Err… hi! I’m Lee Junho and I will be in your team starting today….”

“Mr Lee here will be my assistance because he’s a fresh graduate and doesn’t have any experience in the field so be nice to him okay.