Final

[New Year's Special] The Last Seconds
As suggested by: mkitty :)

 

"Hi ___~" greeted Hina who was running down the hallway to your direction.
 
"Hi." You replied, not looking away from your phone.
 
You were a gamer, and a geek. You didn't even understand how you got scouted by SM. The other trainees there were all so talented in the art section and there you are, fiddling with technology. Though you can't deny that you can play the guitar well and your singing voice isn't that bad. 
 
"You still playing that shooting game?" She asked, unamused.
 
"No, it's Contest of Champions!" You retorted.
 
"It's still a game."
 
"But it's fun."
 
"I don't find anything fun in video games," and just when you were about to protest she added,"and phone games."
 
"I think you don't like it because you ."
 
"No I don't."
 
"Pssh, I still remember that time when you played-"
 
"Hey, wanna go out and eat?" She asked brightly, trying to change the topic.
 
"Nah, I'm tired."
 
"What have you been doing?"
 
"Cleaning." You weren't lying, you and Lami have been cleaning for the past few hours, and now that you're done, you're sitting on the vacuumed couch playing games. That was your way of refreshing.
 
"But you're done now, aren't you?"
 
You wanted to say no so bad and even thought of coming up with an excuse saying you still needed to shove snow out of the driveway, but you did not own a car. It didn't make sense, and if you did do it, it would be superfluous. 
 
"When?" 
 
"Now."
 
"There's still some food in the fridge, I think it's nearing its expiry date." Now this was a lie. In fact, you had just gone grocery shopping Yesterday. You were hoping she and the other girls didn't notice. 
 
"Fine. But on new year's eve you have to come out. Mark's been searching for you, you know." Yeri winked.
 
"Ne, ne." You said as calmly as you could, trying to control your heart rate and breathing.
 
*skip to 31st Dec*
 
You, Lami, Hina, Yeri, and Koeun went out of your dorm all dolled up. Well, except for you. You weren't that interested in makeup nor fashion like the other girls, and no matter what the weather's like, you would always wear a tshirt and jeans inside. In case you would stop by a café that has a heater running.
 
This afternoon the boys had texted Koeun that they were going to meet at a steak house for dinner. You weren't a big fan of meat, but these days schedules are so tight ever since you were officially introduced as a member of SMRookies and attended the Mickey Mouse Club. 
 
Steak reminded you of home and to be really honest, inside that cold exterior of yours is a sentimental, homesick girl. 
 
"Where is it again?" Asked Hina.
 
"Aish, that's why just use GPS instead of trying to read maps!" Scolded Koeun.
 
"What's the name of the place, again?" You asked, starting to get irritated since it's been 10 minutes staying at the same spot listening to Hina and Koeun arguing.
 
"Butch's Grill"
 
"Is that it?" You pointed to a nearby restaurant that had the said sign.
 
"Oh, there it is! Finally! Let's go!" Yeri let out a relieved sigh. She and the other two ran off to the place pushing eachother and debating who should sit next to Taeyong or Johnny or Ten sunbae-nim. You and Lami giggled at their childish behavior and stayed back, enjoying the winter breeze as you walked.
 
"Not even a 'thank you'? Jeez." You snickered. 
 
"Thank you for finding the restaurant for us, eonnie. I really appreciate it because I was starting to get annoyed as well." Lami giggled, and you couldn't help but giggle with her. She was the nicest dongsaeng you've ever met.
 
By the time you reached the place, there was only one chair left. Being the good sunbae you were, you let Lami sit first. But she wouldn't want to sit until you found a seat. What a sweetheart. 
 
"Jeno, I think you can still move to the side a bit and we'll fit in a chair. You guys are tiny so I bet you won't take up much space."
 
So there you were, cramped between Jeno and Mark. You checked up on Lami, and she definitely looked comfortable beside Jisung and Jaemin. 
 
Then the food arrived, and you all ate deliciously as if you haven't eaten in a thousand years. You were a fast eater, one of the firsts to finish, and you started to play a game out of boredom because you couldn't talk to anyone since they were either on the other end of the table or still munching. 
 
Soon enough, Jeno was finished and he asked what you were doing. You said you were playing a game. His eyes brightened the moment he saw what game you were playing on your phone, and he said that he played it too. 
 
You were engaged in a battle and it was so intense, none of you realized that the others were done. Almost all were done, you still needed to wait for your royal highnesses, Hina, Yeri and Koeun. Man, they take so long just to eat.
 
You could feel Mark shuffle uncomfortably beside you, but you ignored it. A few seconds later, his face was incredibly close to yours, your cheeks almost touched. 
 
"Mark, what are you doing?" 
 
"I just wanna see."
 
You moved back and pushed your arms a bit forward, so he could see without being so close to you. 
 
Apparently, Johnny had seen it all and it was the last for you. He took a picture of the two of you in your position before. Now he was laughing his head off.
 
"Oppa..." You whined.
 
"What? This is hilarious! Mark!" He wiggled his eyebrows at the said boy.
 
You ignored him and turned to face Jeno, asking him if he had other games. Jeno said he had chess, and the two of you played while chatting with eachother, occasional chuckles here and there as you shared stories.
 
Mark, on the other hand, was feeling bitter. Could it be envy? He looked at your interaction with Jeno and sighed. Then his phone beeped.
 
J: Johnny
M: Mark
 
J: How's your plan going?
 
M: Horribly. Idk she's so oblivious 
 
J: Did you drop hints?
 
M: I have been dropping hints since last year, hyung -_-
 
J: You might wanna, you know
 
M: What?
 
J: The plan I told you yesterday  
 
M: No.
 
J: Come on! Before she leaves, pabo!
 
M: I don't want to embarrass myself 
 
J: You danced to EXID's Hot Pink yesterday, remember? 
 
M: Yeah but, not in front of her..
 
J: (¬‿¬)
 
M: Whatever hyung
 
Mark yawned, pretending to be sleepy. Johnny watched in silent amusement across the table. Then it happened. He landed his head on your shoulder. 
 
"Shoot! Omona, who is that?" You cursed in shock, eyeing the person on your shoulder disdainfully. Jeno laughed. 
 
"It's not funny, oh my God! I meant to move my queen, not my pawn! Can we start over? Ugh, curse this person." You complained, shrugging your shoulder. 
 
Mark sat straight. Johnny burst out laughing. "I'm sorry." He murmured. You hummed in response, eyebrows furrowed in frustration. 
 
"Checkmate! I win!" Jeno exclaimed victoriously, waving his arms up in the air.
 
"Ugh." You groaned. "I'm gonna go out. Annyeong." You bowed at your friends, going out of the restaurant to get some fresh air.
 
"Mark!" Johnny whisper-shouted, giving him the now's-your-chance expression.
 
Mark nodded, bowed to the group, and went out to follow you. 
 
"Hey uh, about before-"
 
"It's okay. You don't need to apologize. At least I beat him in CoC." You mumbled the last part.
 
"Wanna get some bubble tea?"
 
"Nah, I'm full."
 
"How about the park? I usually go there if I want to calm myself down."
 
"Sounds good to me." 
 
Both of you headed to the park, where some families were having fun. This made you sigh and remember the times when you used to spend New Years Eve with your family. 
 
"It's okay, I miss my family too." He sighed, white smoke coming out of his mouth when he spoke. 
 
You sat in silence until a highly recognizable voice called out to you.
 
"Eonnie! ___ eonnie!" Lami and Jisung ran to the both of you, handing you each a lit sparkler. 
 
"We've been searching for you two. Now come on!" Jisung pulled on Mark's sleeve.
 
"Where?" You asked.
 
"We're going to gather at the center of the park. There's gonna be lots of firecrackers! Come on, eonnie!" Now Lami pulled your free hand and you were off to where everyone was gathered and watched the fireworks together. Without knowing, it was almost midnight.
 
"Guys, it's 11:55! 5 minutes to new years!" Koeun screamed. 
 
"Jinjja?" Asked Ten, who didn't realize how fast time flew. 
 
When the last seconds started ticking, the group counted down together. 
 
"5... 4..."
 
You could feel someone shuffle beside you.
 
"3... 2..."
 
The person tapped on your shoulder. "___.." You turned to look at the person and it was Mark.
 
"1..." 
 
Mark cupped your cheeks and pressed his lips onto yours.
 
"HAPPY NEW YEAR!" Everyone shouted happily. It was a good thing they were too happy to notice, otherwise they would've seen the kiss. 
 
You stood there in shock, not knowing what to say. With you being silent, Mark thinks it's time for his explanation.
 
"___... I like you. No, I love you. I have since last year. It's okay if you don't feel the same way. And sorry, you probably think I'm a jerk for kissing you out of the blue."
 
You touched your lips, "that was my first kiss.."
 
"I'm sorry.." He could only apologize.
 
"It's supposed to happen with the one I love.."
 
"I'm sorry.." His heart dropped. 
 
"And it did.." You finished.
 
"Huh?" He asked, obviously flustered. 
 
"I like you too, Markie.." You giggled. 
 
"HEY LOVEBIRDS! COME HERE LET'S TAKE A NEW YEARS PIC!" Taeyong called.
 
You and Mark chuckled, he took your hand and you ran to the place where they will take the picture, the first picture taken this year. 
 
And the first picture taken of you and him as a couple.

 

SORRY EVERYTHING WAS SO SUDDEN, I didn't check again before posting this because I was in a hurry. I wrote this a few days before the 31st and I had to wait. 
 
Anyways, I hope you liked this New Year's special! Thanks for reading and Happy New Year!!
 
May God bless us all in the coming year!
 
applepie1068