Angel

Angel & Demon
Please log in to read the full chapter

Sunggyu watched the flickering candle lights twinkling against the glass tumbler in his hands blankly. He was sitting in the dark, alone at home on his birthday, trying to convince himself that he had made the right decision.

He looked up at the frozen image of Woohyun laughing on his television and raised his tumbler in a false cheer. It was the video from his last birthday party before he sent Woohyun away.

His birthday was the only time that he allowed himself to look at Woohyun's face. For the past five years, he had locked himself in his house for his birthday and ignored everyone's attempts to celebrate. Plans to surprise him with a birthday party had stopped by the second year when they couldn't find him anywhere. He could smile and laugh 364 days a year but he just couldn't do it on his birthday. It was still hurting too much.

His phone ringing broke the silence around him. He just took one look at Myungsoo's name and turned his phone off. Myungsoo was happy with Sungyeol and no longer needed him. Much to his amazement, their relation had lasted this long and Sungyeol had come to him to ask his brother's hand in marriage.

Sunggyu was happy for them.

Sunggyu sipped his drink slowly, savouring the burning of the alcohol down his throat, his eyes trained on the television screen.

Since Woohyun left, he had felt like he was living in a haze. Sunggyu went through the motion like an automaton, trying not to remember about Woohyun. He failed in that as Woohyun was always on his mind and Sunggyu was slowly going crazy.

There were days that Sunggyu felt like he couldn't breathe like he was having a heart attack. This was one of those days.

Sunggyu closed his eyes and let his tears fell. He remembered how the ending began.


Sunggyu slipped into the seat and removed his sunglasses. He fiddled with the straw as he waited, trying to contain his nervousness.

The bell above the coffee shop door rang as the person he waited for walked inside and Sunggyu jumped to his feet.

"Boohyun hyung."

"Sunggyu." Boohyun promptly sat and crossed his legs.

"What would you like to drink, hyung? Let me order it for you."

"I'm not here to drink. Sit down, Sunggyu. I have something to talk with you."

Sunggyu gulped as he sat back in the chair. Boohyun had always disliked him. In his opinion, Sunggyu was holding Woohyun back and he had no qualms about letting his opinion known.

"Woohyun received an invitation to further his study at Juilliard."

The news shocked Sunggyu to the core. Woohyun never told him about it even when they practically spent 24/7 together.

"Wow! I-I didn't know that."

"I know my stupid brother wouldn't tell you. I'll go straight to the point, Sunggyu. I want Woohyun to accept the invitation. I want Woohyun to have a future more than just as your manager."

Sunggyu hung his head and sighed. He understood where Boohyun was coming from. If Myungsoo receives such offer, he would also push Myungsoo to accept it.

"What do you want me to do? Woohyun can be very stubborn."

Boohyun leaned forward and steepled his fingers.

"I want you to send Woohyun away. Break his heart if you must but let my brother go, Sunggyu. Please."

Sunggyu snapped his head up, trepidation in his eyes.

"But..."

"Please, Sunggyu. I'm begging you. Do this for Woohyun's future. If you two are destined together, he would come back to you."

Sunggyu closed his eyes, trying to stop the tears from flowing. He didn't want to hurt Woohyun. Just thinking about it was hurting him.

"Y-Yes," Sunggyu stuttered out his answer and was surprised when Boohyun suddenly grabbed his hands.

"Thank you, Sunggyu. Thank you. I owe you one."

Sunggyu shook his head sadly as Boohyun stood up to take his leave.

"Boohyun hyung!"

Boohyun stopped and turned to Sunggyu, waiting for him to continue.

"Can... Could you keep me informed about Woohyun?"

Boohyun nodded and patted Sunggyu's back.

"Of course, Sunggyu."


Sunggyu opened his eyes to Woohyun's laughter on the screen and felt his heart clenched painfully.

Boohyun had kept his promise, of course. In the past four years, Sunggyu knew everything that happened in Woohyun's life.

He thought that Woohyun would at least send him a birthday message but the years passed without any communication from the younger. Apparently, Sunggyu had done too good a job of breaking Woohyun's heart.

Sunggyu couldn't bring himself to contact Woohyun either. He knew, just one word from him and Woohyun would drop everything to come back to him. He couldn't do that. Even when he was in the same city as Woohyun during his world tour, he had drugged himself with sleeping pills to avoid the temptation of going to find Woohyun. He has scared Myungsoo and his managers badly that time.

Sunggyu watched the candle on his birthday cupcake melted slowly, his mind whirling back to a year ago. When Boohyun told him that Woohyun had finished his studies, Sunggyu was ecstatic. He spent the days in a state of high energy, waiting for Woohyun to come back.

And he crashed down badly on his birthday when Woohyun didn't come back. Boohyun told him that Woohyun had signed a contract with the company there and Sunggyu finally broke down.

What followed then was a year of depression and Sunggyu almost gave up if not for Myungsoo and Sungyeol. They stood by his side and pushed him. He took a year break from all his activities on health issues and he was determined to make a come back this year.

Sunggyu raised his cupcake to Woohyun's image on the screen and smiled sadly.

"Happy birthday to me. I still love you, Woohyun."

And he blew the candle out.

 


Sunggyu knew that one day Woohyun would come back. After all, his entire family was still living in South Korea. He knew that. Hell, he had waited for him.

But why today? Why here? Why now?

When he saw the music show preview in A&D's waiting room earlier, it took all of his self-control not to scream. He had been concentrating on his own comeback so much that he didn't notice the new debuts list. What was worse was... Woohyun wasn't alone.

When he saw Toheart's preview earlier, Sunggyu swore his heart skipped a beat. Woohyun looked better than he was before but Sunggyu could see the old Woohyun in him. The way his eyes crinkled when he smiled, the way you could see the happiness in his eyes when he laughed.

And the annoyed, shy smile he always gave Sunggyu. But now, the smile was directed at someone else.

Sunggyu felt sick and had mumbled something to Myungsoo and their staffs before sprinting out of the room. He heard Myungsoo calling for him but he didn't stop. He had to get out of there.

Sunggyu heard his voice before he saw him. His steps faltered and he opened the door next to him, breathing heavily. He didn't know why he was hiding from Woohyun but it was important that he did so.

Sunggyu pushed the door opened slightly and saw Woohyun. God, he looked better than on screen. He was laughing as he walked with his group member, his arm around the other's waist. They made quite a beautiful couple.

Sunggyu slumped down onto the floor next to the door, his breathing erratic. Woohyun had finally came back. Just not to him. Sunggyu should have seen this coming. Woohyun was a handsome and amazing man, there was no way he would be single for so long. Just because Sunggyu waited for him didn't mean that Woohyun was doing the same thing.

Sunggyu clutched his chest painfully. He wondered how long they had been together? Did Woohyun met him in school? Did Woohyun loves him?

Sunggyu was having problem breathing and feeling slightly nauseous. His palms were sweating but he was feeling cold. As his vision started tunnelling, Sunggyu realised that he was having a heart attack.

He let himself succumbed to the darkness.

 


Sunggyu opened his eyes to the sound of arguments.

"... Woohyun...asking..."

He recognised Myungsoo's voice and tried to call him but his throat was dry.

"Hyung!" Myungsoo helped him to lean on the headboard and let him drank some water before letting him talk.

"What happened?" His voice was still scratchy but he was feeling better. Myungsoo looked at Sungyeol and the taller placed his hand on Myungsoo's shoulder.

"You had a panic attack, hyung. Myungsoo got worried when you didn't come back to the wai

Please log in to read the full chapter