First

You're My Star

Jaekyung leisurely got out of her car which was parked not far across the place she’s going to. Her black Chanel handbag was gracefully hanging at the crook of her arm and her Marc Jacobs sunglasses was beautifully placed on the bridge of her nose. One could tell how rich she was from her outfit worn from head to toe, especially when they heard that expensive taps of her 9 cm red soled Louboutin heels. She pushed the remote button and started walking, once in a while cursing under her breath.

She could see two figures were sitting at the veranda steps. She knew they were waiting for her, but she didn’t mind to quicken her steps. It was a tall guy with a light brown hair and a boy whose hand tightly gripping the guy’s hand. The four year old boy was the reason why she went there. He hastily stood up when he saw her about to cross the busy small road.

“I still can’t get it why Jaehwan put him in such a lousy school,” mumbled her at the view of an old house in front of her. “Joowon-ah! Come on!” she shouted from the front, thinking that it’s not necessary to approach the two inside the yard.

“Do you know her?” the tall guy asked the boy named Joowon.

Joowon nodded once. He slowly walked towards her without loosening the grip around the guy’s palm. “Where’s appa?” questioned him as they finally got close.

“Don’t ask too much. He’s okay. Come on. I have a lot of things to be done,” replied her crossly. She grabbed his other hand without acknowledging the guy standing awkwardly before them.

“Excuse me, Miss.” She just took a step outside the place when the guy stopped her with his voice which she almost didn’t recognize as human due to its softness.

“Aish! What?” she half snarled at the disruption.

The guy was clearly looked hesitating before getting into the question he’s about to ask. “Uh… May I know who you are?” he finally got his voice back.

She took off her sunglasses as she snorted. “What’s so important about it, huh? I just came here to pick him up, not to be his guardian. Okay? So, I guess I’m done with this.” She wrapped it up herself and pulled Joowon by the hand a bit harshly, making the other hand of his slipped away from the guy’s grip in one go.

“But-“ he tried to stop her from going again.

She stomped on her heels to face him. “You’re getting on my nerves really. The hell do you want? I’ve told you I was just told to pick him up!” she raised her tone which made him flinched back.

“I… We… W-we just need your name and y-your relation to him for our data,” he hated himself every time he’s caught in that kind of situation since it made him stuttered badly.

“Screw Lee Jaehwan for this,” she muttered.

The guy raised his eyebrow since he couldn’t get what she’s saying. “S-sorry?”

She sighed, “Fine. Lee Jaekyung, his father’s younger sister.” By that she put her sunglasses back on and started walking away with Joowon, not bothering herself to wait any respond from the guy.

He stood still at his current place, both hands shoved into his pockets, watching Joowon being dragged along the sidewalk before getting into a metallic grey European brand classy sedan. He was drowned into his thoughts with his gaze still stuck at the place where the car was parked before.

“Jung Taekwoon!” another guy called him from the doorframe. It’s not unusual for him not to be heard by his best friend, but he knew something wasn’t right looking from the weird stance of him standing by the fence of their workplace. He put on his shoes casually and approached him. “Ya, Jung Taekwoon,” he tried to call him again.

Taekwoon startled by his friend’s sudden appearance beside him. He obviously didn’t hear him calling his name earlier.

“What’s wrong?” asked the other guy while trying to trace where his gaze was directed to. He stopped looking to the same place and started looking around as he realized something. “Where’s Joowon? He’s been picked up already?”

Taekwoon just gave him an assuring nod without saying anything. He turned around on his heels and walked into the house which actually a small kindergarten they worked at.

“Okay then. I’ll tidy up things,” he said although Taekwoon didn’t make him to.

“Hakyeon-ah,” his friend whose name Hakyeon was half running back into the house when he made him stopped by calling his name.

“Yes?” Hakyeon was expecting him to tell him something about the thing he had previously questioned.

Taekwoon sighed, “Do you know… Jaekyung?” he couldn’t stand not to think about it after what had just happened in front of him.

Hakyeon furrowed his eyebrows. “Jaekyung?” he asked back instead, trying to remember any Jaekyung he knew. “Wait… Do you mean that ? Joowonnie’s aunt?” he got a grasp of what Taekwoon was talking about since the last thing they did was waiting for Joowon to be picked up before he turned to his gloomy mode. Taekwoon gave him a nod.

“Why are you suddenly asking about her? Was she the one who picked him up?” Hakyeon interrogated the hesitant guy. Taekwoon nodded again, responding to the last question. “Did she make a scene again? What did she do to you? That is really something!” he spluttered before Taekwoon even said a single word. “Tell me, Leo-ya,” he called him by his nickname as he dragged him inside to talk about it.

“Does she always like that?” asked Taekwoon after they decided to sit cross-legged on the living room floor which had been designed to be the kids’ playroom.

“It’s just her being her. What happened just now?” he curiously tried to seek any information.

Taekwoon pulled his legs closer and hugged them before he started explaining carefully. “She came and called Joowonnie right away with that harsh tone of her. I… I haven’t met her before, so I asked him whether he knew her or not. He only nodded and walked to her while his hand was still holding onto mine. I came along with him,” he paused for a moment, only staring blankly at the tip of his worn out socks. “I… I politely asked her name and her relation with him, just like what we usually do, and she snarled at me for that,” he shrugged.

“What did she say?” Hakyeon was in his serious mode. He knew well about how Taekwoon might feel about that. He might be able to bear with it when he faced that situation before, but he wasn’t sure about Taekwoon which made him worried a lot. Moreover, Taekwoon’s undefined bond with Joowon would definitely make him worrying about the kid.

“She nagged, saying that I was getting on her nerves since I insisted on asking her,” he replied. “But…,” he bit his lower lip before continuing, “What I’ve been thinking since is how he treats Joowonnie.”

Hakyeon snorted at the last words Taekwoon said. “It’s impossible for her to stay alive if she didn’t do that for even once. The first time I saw her doing that, I know right away that this woman isn’t more than just a .”

Taekwoon stared at Hakyeon seriously. “Did she drag Joowonnie along too that time?” he had no idea what kind of answer he’s expecting from him.

“What?!” Hakyeon shouted in reflex. “She dragged him along?!” no matter how soft Taekwoon’s voice was, it had never been once where he misheard him, and he didn’t think he misheard him that time too.

Taekwoon nodded surely, making it clear using his gesture.

“Really! That is too much! I wonder how she will treat her kids later. They will definitely be born to live in hell!” spluttered Hakyeon. “I don’t think I could stand her if I got to meet her again.”

Taekwoon didn’t respond to the fiery Hakyeon who continued badmouthing Jaekyung. To Taekwoon, it wasn’t about him, but he worried big time on Joowon. He couldn’t stop imagining the way Jaekyung dragged the little kid around while shouting to him even when he did nothing wrong.

“Whom does he live with?” Taekwoon found his voice back to ask Hakyeon, cutting him who had been spluttering on his own all along.

Hakyeon stopped talking and turned his head to him. “Joowonnie?” he asked back instead, making sure first before responding. “As long as I know, he lives with his father. His mom works in Busan. It’s been a long time since that Jaekyung showed up here,” he continued after receiving an intense eye contact from him. He didn’t stop there, but back on the thing he’d been doing in the last ten minutes.

“Just stop,” Taekwoon cut him off again all of a sudden, surprising Hakyeon and his burning hatred as he thought that Taekwoon hated her too.

“Stop what?” the clueless Hakyeon questioned his words.

Taekwoon got up and went to the little teacher room they’ve got, leaving Hakyeon confused. He then showed up with his bag already slinging across his body, obviously was ready to go. “See you tomorrow,” were the words he chose to wrap their talk that afternoon.

***

“It’s time to go home soon! Who wants to go home?” loud cheers spread across the room as soon as Hakyeon finished his announcement. The kids excitedly raised their hands. Some of them even tried to raise both of theirs, while some others jumped, trying to be noticed. It was Hakyeon’s turn to end the class. Taekwoon was sitting in the teacher’s desk, filling in the kids’ daily report.

“Not so easy, Kids! Let’s sing a song before we go! What song would you like to sing?” the whole room was buzzing from the kids who talked at the same time.

“The Three Bears? Is that it?” he clapped once, signaling that the decision has been made after all the kids nodded in agreement. “Who wants to lead us sing today?” he shot another question to the audience.

“Leo Teacher!” one kid shouted, breaking the silence. All pairs of eyes in the room turned towards him right away. He was startled much at the sudden call of his name, making him stopped writing and looked up to see what was happening. “Would you please lead us sing?” the kid had then stood up, both palms met on his chest, half begging Taekwoon to fulfill his wish. The rest of the kids started shouting begs towards him.

Taekwoon glanced at Hakyeon who was smiling weirdly at him, signaling to just do what the kids wanted.

“Do we all agree to let Leo Teacher lead us sing today?” Hakyeon purposely asked the unnecessary for the kid to reemphasize their wants once again.

“Yes, Teacher!” the kids shouted in unison, clapping along in excitement.

Taekwoon laughed a little at their responses. “If that’s what you all want,” he shrugged as he got up from his seat and walked to replace Hakyeon who had moved aside to give the floor only for him and the kids. The buzzing got louder after he decided to fulfill their wish.

Hakyeon couldn’t help to smile all along looking at the shy Taekwoon leading the kids sang, completed with the gestures. From the first time he asked him to work there with him, he already knew that it would help reducing his shyness. Also, he knew that deep inside he had a great affection for kids behind those cold shy self of him.

Two rounds of singing together then finished in a short time. “Okay, Kids! It’s time to say goodbye!” announced Hakyeon after a quick glance on his wristwatch, earning boos from the kids.

“We’ll continue tomorrow, okay?” Taekwoon helped Hakyeon to persuade the pouting kids. “It’s a promise!” he emphasized, sticking out his pinky finger, making it symbolic.

Wide smiles brightened up the air inside the place as the kids started to get up and walked towards the front door with their guidance.

“Exactly, they listen to you more as usual,” Hakyeon whispered to Taekwoon as they led the kids.

Taekwoon slightly smiled without saying anything. At least he already knew that Hakyeon must have known he’s grateful for his compliment. And Hakyeon didn’t complain on his silence.

To their unknown, Joowon had been sticking to Taekwoon after since they’re routing to the front door. A tiny hand pulled the tip of Taekwoon’s cardigan, lightly, hesitating. That’s when he realized he wasn’t in the line with his friends all along. He sent codes to Hakyeon to continue guiding the kids while he stopped there to talk with Joowon.

Taekwoon bent down and rested one of his knees on the floor, making their height equal. He held those tiny hands tight. “What’s wrong, Joowonnie?” he asked with the softest voice he could make after seeing his worried expression. “How can I help you?” he then cupped his hand on his chubby cheek.

The kid was looking down on his feet, gathering the courage to speak. “Uncle Leo…,” he started off by calling the adult in front of him. At first, Taekwoon didn’t feel comfortable with the way the little boy called him, knowing that he wasn’t more than just a teacher for him. But as time went by, he let Joowon called him that way since he usually used that outside the sessions. “Do you mind accompanying me again like you did yesterday?” the full sentence eventually came out of his trembling mouth.

Taekwoon frowned in reflex, but hastily hid it away for him not to see. “Of course I don’t mind to. You’re going to be picked up late again today?” replied him, along with the best smile he could show.

Joowon only nodded slowly. “I’m sorry, Uncle.”

“What are you sorry for? You don’t have to. Hakyeon Teacher and I always stay here longer though. Unless you mind to accompany us doing our assignments,” Taekwoon tried to laugh a bit to ease his nervousness. “So, no need to be sorry, okay?” he patted his head for the positive nod he had given for the second time.

Taekwoon stood up and was about to come after Hakyeon outside, but he stopped and turned to Joowon again. “Uh… where do you want to wait, Joowonnie?” questioned him.

Joowon raised his head up to look at him. “Is it okay if I wait inside?” he pointed at the playroom where they usually held the class. “I… I won’t use the toys. I’ll just sit still. I promise,” he added, looking as convincing as possible.

“Just go,” Taekwoon couldn’t hold his laughter at his innocence. “Use the toys if you want, but remember to put it back in place, okay?” Joowon nodded vigorously, with a happy smile on his face then, before he ran off back inside.

Hakyeon was faster to come back before Taekwoon could even walk outside. “They all went home already. Oh, how I love on time parents,” told him without being asked first, as usual. “Did Joowonnie go home already? I don’t think I saw him outside?” he furrowed his eyebrows while busy trying to peek outside at the veranda to check.

“He’s inside.” Taekwoon’s answer was the thing which made him stopped looking around. “He’s being picked up late again today,” he even responded to Hakyeon’s questioning expression.

Hakyeon smirked in satisfaction. “By Jaekyung? I’m the one meeting that today. Don’t let her step on you again, Jung Leo. Don’t, ever,” he lowered his tone just in case Joowon might hear them talking, index finger pointing right in front of Taekwoon’s face.

Taekwoon stared at him for a moment in silence. He sighed then turned around on his heels, ending his talk with Hakyeon.

Joowon was lying on his stomach, doodling on a piece of paper using coloring pencils, when Taekwoon went into the playroom. He let Joowon continued what he was doing and walked to the teacher’s room at the end of the hallway.

“Joowon-ah,” Taekwoon was already sitting cross legged beside him with a lunch box on his lap.

The called boy put his pencil and slowly got up to a sitting position. “Aunty has come?” he shot the only question left in his mind every time one of his teachers called him when he stayed longer there.

“Not yet.” Taekwoon wished he could remain calm every time he got to face the kids’ worries as Joowon was obviously disappointed from his answer. “While we wait, shall we have lunch together?” he showed the lunch box he had just taken from his bag earlier.

Taekwoon replied his hesitant stare by opening the lunch box. “Well, it’s just a kimbap actually. Do you like this?” he puffed his cheeks as he asked, hand on his nape, worried if Joowon only liked fancy food.

“Kimbap is my favorite food, Uncle.” His little mouth slowly formed a curve, grinning at the simple kimbap Taekwoon brought.

Taekwoon sighed in relief, mirroring the grin as it appeared as well on his face then. “Here, have some.” He took one using the chopsticks and shoved it carefully into his mouth. “How was it?”

“It’s so delicious! Did your mom make this for you?” Joowon spoke with his mouth full of kimbap.

“Why did you guess that it was my mom’s? I made this myself!” Taekwoon laughed at his words. Apparently it was the loudest laugh of him in the last few days. “Have some more then.”

Joowon shrugged. “I usually see others bringing kimbap made by their mom. My mom has never done that. I hope someday she will,” he ended his words with an optimistic smile, which somehow hurt Taekwoon. The boy took another kimbap himself as Taekwoon was staring at him secretly. He let his lunch got eaten by him, as long as he could see that little happiness shining.

An imaginary light bulb popped above Taekwoon’s head. “Hmm… how about this, I’ll make you kimbap twice or thrice every week. You can bring it back home, or we can have it together like this. Do you like that idea?”

Joowon nodded as firm as he could to agree on the idea since his mouth was full of food. “I’d really love it, Uncle!” he half shouted, already succeeded swallowing the whole thing.

Taekwoon didn’t realize that he had been smiling all along while he’s with the boy. Watching Joowon eat and play was somehow addicting to him, once in a while patting his head as they’re playing together. To him, he was just like a friend, apparently best friend, and age truly didn’t matter in the case.

Hakyeon abruptly stopped in front of the playroom’s door as he was about to walk in at first. The slightly opened door was enough to give him a sight about what’s happening inside. He stood still for a moment, trying his best to keep silent as he watched. Joowon was sitting on Taekwoon’s lap while the teacher was reading him a story book about the brave warrior, which he knew well that it was his favorite. Hakyeon unconsciously smiled. Being honest, he’s a bit envious on Taekwoon, on how he could steal most of the kids’ heart while in fact he was the one being involved more with the kids. He didn’t speak much, but apparently his caring aura was charming out strongly. The way Joowon stared at Taekwoon turned his eyes glassy from the scene, remembering that it must be tough for a little kid like him to live with a busy dad and far away from his mom. Seeing him happy for even a short time with Taekwoon somehow made him a bit relieved that the boy got a friend whom he trusted. And of course, Hakyeon didn’t want to ruin that by breaking into the peaceful scene. He let them having their quality time and walked away to his room.

It was almost two hours since the class ended, but Joowon was still there with Taekwoon, lying on the wooden floor half asleep while his head resting on Taekwoon’s lap. The teacher was still telling him stories, random ones that time. Deep inside, Taekwoon was slowly getting angry on Jaekyung to leave Joowon waiting for hours. Taekwoon himself didn’t mind at all to accompany him, but he didn’t heart to see the boy’s exhausted face.

A vague sound of the front door being knocked forced Taekwoon to open the playroom’s door by reaching out his arm as he tried to ask Hakyeon for help since Joowon was already asleep on his lap. Before he could even call him, Hakyeon already ran down the hallway past them towards the front door. That’s when Taekwoon remembered about his previous words about facing Jaekyung himself.

The excitement faded away from Hakyeon’s face when he opened the front door. It wasn’t Jaekyung, nor someone he knew who had some kind of relation with Joowon.

A tall black haired guy was standing before him. Ripped jeans, black hip hop t-shirt, a cap, and sunglasses—drunk enough to bump into a kindergarten with that kind of style.

“Yes?” Hakyeon asked straight away, garnished by a fake polite smile plastered on his face. He was restraining himself from rolling his eyes at the random visitor. They had enough of lost people thinking that the place was some kind of a private bar since they didn’t have a board which indicating the place nor a playground in their front garden.

The guy took off his sunglasses and put it on his cap. “Uh… Wait,” he paused as he took out his high end phone out of his jeans’ pocket. Hakyeon leaned to the doorframe, waiting for the guy to explain his reason to stand there in front of him. “Ah! Joowon! Is he here? This is Starlight Kindergarten, right?” the guy stepped backwards and glanced around to find anything that tells the name of the place he’d been searching for.

The mention of Joowon’s name awoke him up, made him stood up properly right away, like a lion that finally spotted its prey. “Excuse me, but who are you?” Hakyeon frowned, examining the suspect first before he was the one being the suspect in the police station later if Joowon got kidnapped. His eyes couldn’t stay still from secretly eyeing the guy head to toe.

“I’m Ravi. Well, I’m not sure about my relation to him either, apparently his uncle? Uhm… soon,” he shrugged. “Fine, here’s my ID if you don’t trust me.” He took out his ID from the wallet which he put in the back pocket of his jeans as a respond to Hakyeon’s skeptical expression.

Hakyeon snatched it with his gaze was still scanning the person over and over, trying to remember his whole appearance if something bad happened later. “Kim Wonshik?” he raised one of his brows.

“Yup, Ravi is my nickname,” he calmly replied. “I know you guys might have a strict system to let your student being picked up. I was only told by Jaekyung to pick him up since she had a sudden meeting just now,” explained him. “My time isn’t that much either, so can I pick him up and go quickly?”

A sly smirk formed on Hakyeon’s face, eventually grasped the situation. “So, you’re sort of Jaekyung’s boyfriend?” he snorted, letting it loose since it was still about Jaekyung in the end.

“It’s not sort of. I am her boyfriend,” Ravi emphasized. “So?” he started looking a bit annoyed by Hakyeon’s act towards him.

“Wait a minute.” Hakyeon gave the ID back to him and walked back inside, finding Taekwoon whose upper body had been stretched out closer to the door, obviously waiting for any kind of information from Hakyeon. His facial expression was clearly showing an invisible question mark to Hakyeon.

“It’s her boyfriend picking him up,” Hakyeon answered his unspoken question, referring to the sleeping Joowon on Taekwoon’s lap. But Taekwoon showed a more confused face, indirectly asking whether he should wake the boy or not. “Just slowly lift him up. I’ll bring his stuffs.”

Taekwoon carefully slipped his arm under his neck and slipping his other under his knees, making sure he’s safe in his arms before trying to stand up. He was biting his lower lip during the whole process, anxious if he woke the exhausted boy up. Fortunately the boy only stirred a bit. Instead, he was repositioning himself to make it comfortable in Taekwoon’s hug.

Ravi’s face turned bright when he saw Hakyeon finally came out again, which he translated as Joowon was ready to go with him. But it didn’t take too long for his expression to turn dark again seeing Taekwoon coming out with Joowon sleeping in his arms. Ravi had never been good in lifting kids; moreover Joowon was sleeping that time.

Without saying anything, Taekwoon walked towards him right away, ready to hand the boy over. Ravi, who was startled by Taekwoon’s appearance and the sudden handover, awkwardly reached his arms out, trying his best to lift Joowon. Taekwoon was busy hushing to maintain the boy in his deep sleep. But the unready Ravi stumbled at his place, fortunately he still got a tight grip of the little boy. He gave up lifting him with his two arms and carefully lifted him using one arm, head on his shoulder. For the two guys, the thin yet slightly muscular arm wasn’t really convincing to be able to hold Joowon. Not really about the strength, but his stance made them doubt him badly.

“Is that his bag?” asked Ravi to Hakyeon, referring to the small yellow backpack on his shoulder.

Hakyeon who had been staring at him in disbelief was startled, enough to make him stutter in response. “Y-yes,” he hastily took off the backpack and slung it on Ravi’s other free shoulder instead.

“Thank you, guys,” he spent some seconds to bid goodbye. With a smile and a slight wave to the two guys—since his hand was holding Joowon—he tried to walk properly, leaving the place.

Hakyeon and Taekwoon were still standing at the veranda, watching him and the magically-still-sleeping Joowon. Hakyeon merely opened his mouth to talk to Taekwoon when the person had jumped forward to get a hold of Joowon who almost fall backward, slipped off of Ravi’s shoulder as the guy tripped at the veranda’s steps, blessed to still manage himself not to land on the old paving blocks. Ravi froze for a moment, trying to find his breath back as the kid was nearly hurt—or maybe dead—in his hand. The boy didn’t budge at all from his near death experience, busy playing in his dreamland. Taekwoon, whose heartbeat wasn’t any slower than Ravi, immediately positioned Joowon back on Ravi’s shoulder safely. Yet, it wasn’t enough to make himself relieved any bit.

“You’re driving?” Taekwoon asked the frozen Ravi, who was hugging Joowon with both of his arms then, panting.

Sure enough he wasn’t yet able to speak, he nodded in reply.

“Let me take him to your car,” Taekwoon firmly stated. It’s not necessary to ask for Ravi’s agreement first. Taekwoon only wanted to keep Joowon safe. He cannot risk the little boy anymore. Bad scenes kept playing in his head after since he handed him over to Ravi. The few meters distance might be the gateway to heaven for Joowon. Taekwoon knew he was thinking too much, but it already bothered him big time. 

He took over Joowon before Ravi could properly nod at him and silently signaling Ravi to walk in front. Ravi did as was told. The car, which was the same car Jaekyung drove the day before, was parked closer. Ravi stopped beside the car, glancing at Taekwoon behind him, somehow nervous on what to do. Taekwoon himself was standing still with Joowon in his hug, gaze judging Ravi in silence as the only noise he made was only his sighs.

The intimidating stare of Taekwoon was enough to make Ravi losing his concentration that he dropped the car key. The backpack on his shoulder slipped off when he bent down to get it, along with the obviously expensive sunglasses he put on his cap earlier, creating more fuss. He hastily pushed the remote button and opened the back door for him, foot tapping nervously on the concrete while waiting for Taekwoon to finish putting Joowon inside, leaning at the opened car door.     

Taekwoon got out of the car and just left without words, not even shooa dirty look at Ravi after what he just did. Ravi was staring at Taekwoon’s back as he walked back towards the kindergarten when he realized he should’ve thanked him. The heart dropping moment was enough to halve his soul for a while. He hated the idea of picking up Joowon since he couldn’t handle kids well, but whatever it was, it’s not even possible to reject on Jaekyung’s words. He shrugged at the fading Taekwoon on his sight and drove off.

Hakyeon was sitting at the veranda when Taekwoon walked into the area with a tautened face. He just blinked at Taekwoon without saying anything, but he was sure he’s going to splutter it out in a short time soon.

“Can he have at least one sane person around him for God’s sake?” Taekwoon’s guess came alive as he took a seat beside him, inhaling the fresh air to decrease his heartbeat which yet hadn’t completely recovered. He replied his rhetoric question with a heavy sigh.

“A demanding father, a y aunty, and now a sloppy swag uncle?” he hissed. “I’m not that optimistic to meet his mom if that’s going to happen soon,” he shook his head.

“Poor boy,” Taekwoon’s blank stare saddened it more.

It was then Hakyeon who sighed. “Let’s hope everything will be fine for him.”