Tears are clouding my vision

The shimmer in my peripherals.

 

 

 

The  shimmer  in  my  peripherals.  It’s  there,  I  know  it  is.  And  it  knows  I’m  here.  It  mocks  me,  torments  me.  I  know  it’s  there.  I  know  the  secret.

 

My  name  is  Sejda,  and  I  know  the  secret.



Walking  along  the  concrete,  I  set  my  tunnel  vision  to  the  fissures  of  the  pavement.  My  eyes  can’t  stray,  I  must  stay  focused  on  my  direct  line  of  sight,  I  can’t  stray.

 

Hurrying  now,  past  the  students.  My  classmates,  my  neighbors,  they  can’t  know.  They  wouldn’t  understand.  Must  stay  focused,  my  eyes  can’t  stray.  The  splitting  gravel  turns  to  the  smooth  concrete  of  the  school’s  entrance.  Hugging  my  books  tight,  I  angle  my  sight  in  the  slightest  to  catch  the  first  step  under  my  foot.

 

The  shimmer.  I  see  the  shimmer.  And  for  a  moment,  my  balance  becomes  uncertain.

 

Focus!  I  must  focus!  And  again  I  straighten  my  eyes,  and  the  steps  soon  give  way  to  glossy  yellow  tile.  Walking.  Walking,  now.  Speeding.  Must  stay  focused.  My  eyes  can’t  stray.

 

Staring.  My  body  heats  under  their  stares.  They’re  all  looking  at  me!  But  I  must  stay  focused.  I  must  focus!  My  eyes  can  never  stray.  Not  with  the  shimmer  following  me.

 

The  shimmer.

The  glitch.

The  glitch  in  the  programming.

 

It’s  a  glitch  in  this  program  that  is  life  and  everyone  is  playing.  Without  knowing,  they  play.  Someone  is  out  there.  Controlling  us.  Watching  us.  Laughing  at  us.  We  run  around  and  tire  out  our  life  force,  day  after  day.  No  rest.  While  they  watch.

 

No  one  knows.  Everyone  plays.

 

Focus!  I  must  stay  focused.  I  have  to  stay  focused,  I  have  to  stay  alert.  Because  it’s  following  me.  Because  I  know  it’s  there.  I  know  it’s  there.  I’m  the  only  one.  The  guardian  of  this  great  and  terrible  secret.  I  can  feel  the  shimmer  at  my  back.  I  can  feel  the  stares  from  every  side.  I  am  not  crazy!

 

I’m  not  crazy  and  they’ll  all  know.  I  just  have  to  get  them  out  of  the  simulation.  Out  of  the  program.  They’ll  wake  up,  and  then  they’ll  see.  And  then  we’ll  laugh.  And  I  can  be  happy  again.  But  I  can’t  think  of  that  right  now.  I  have  to  stay  focused.  I  have  to  complete  the  task  at  hand.  I’m  the  only  one  who  can.  The  only  one  who  knows  the  secret.

 

Walking.  Walking  still.  All  I  can  see  are  the  faded  converse  that  moves  me  closer  to  my  destination.  Where  it’ll  all  start.  The  beginning  of  the  end  to  this  wicked  game.  It’s  a  cruel  joke.  Who  would  do  that?  Subject  unsuspecting  innocents  to  mull  around  in  a  labyrinth  of  perpetual  ?

 

I  don’t  know,  but  I  have  to  stop  them.  I  have  to  end  this.  I  have  to  save  everyone.  I  want  to  save  him.  I  do,  I  really  do.  I  want  him  to  look  at  me,  give  me  a  smile  and  say,  ‘I  knew  it  all  along.  Didn’t  doubt  you  for  a  second.’  Then  he’ll  smile  a  little  wider,  and  give  a  thumbs  up,  and  we’ll  be  happy.  My  favorite  person  will  be  happy.  Everyone  will  be  happy.  But  only  if  I  can  stay  focused.

 

My  head  is  down  but  I  know  where  to  go.  This  route  is  my  religion.  I  live  by  it.  It  keeps  me  whole.  Fills  me  to  my  brink.  Takes  me  to  my  favorite  person.  The  only  thing  between  us  now  is  this  door.  This  heavy,  wooden  door.  With  its  glass  covered  in  comics  from  the  Sunday  paper.  Its  bright  colors  streaming  straight  over  my  head  as  I  keep  my  head  down,  focused  on  my  faded  converses.  Focused.  Can  never  stray.

 

Eyes  taking  in  the  fibers  of  my  laces  as  my  hand  travels  up,  knocks  on  the  door.

“Come  in,”  he  says.

The  sound  of  his  voice  jolts  me  up.  My  head  moves  here  and  there.  Here  and  there.  Eyes, everywhere  but  on  the  converse.  Eyes  see  shimmers.  They’re  everywhere.  On  my  left  side.  On  my  right  side.  In  my  brain.  They’ve  invaded  my  mind,  they  seep  into  my  thoughts,  and  for  the  first  time,  I  wonder  why  I’m  trying  to  save  everyone.

 

They  don’t  deserve  to  be  happy.  They  don’t  deserve  an  escape.  What  have  they  ever  done  for  me?  I’m  their  ‘crazy  girl’.  I’m  their  amusement.  They  deserve  everything  they  get.  But  not  him.  They  don’t  deserve  him.  And  he  doesn’t  deserve  to  suffer  here.  So  I’ll  save  him.  I’ll  save  the  both  of  us.

 

Turning  the  knob,  I  accept  the  shimmers.  Ominous  or  not,  they  stayed  with  me.  I  think  that  means  we’re  friends.  They’re  my  only  friends.  Besides  him.  My  favorite  person.  Who  smiles  at  me,  and  asks  me  how  I  am.  He  cares  about  me,  and  I’m  going  to  save  him.  Because  I  care  about  him,  too.

 

I  save  him  with  a  BLAM!  And  it’s  not  a  pretty  sight.  Or  a  pretty  noise.  He’s  making  gurgling  sounds  out  of  the  hole  in  his  throat.  Choking  on  red.  Staggering  to  the  floor.  I  hurry  around  his  desk  and  aim  again.

 

He’s  safe  now.  He’s  happy.

 

Sinking  to  the  ground,  I  cry  happy  tears.  I  have  finally  done  something  right.  I  cry,  and  I  cry,  and  I  wipe  my  face.  Now  there’s  red  on  my  face.

 

There’s  a lot  of  noise  outside,  and  I  know  what  it  is.  The  miserable  people  of  the  program.  They  want  me  to  save  them,  too.  It’s  too  late.  I  refuse.  So  I  get  up  and  lock  the  door.  Then  I  sit  in  the  chair  to  the  left  of  the  desk.  It’s  my  seat.  He’s  told  me  so  himself.

 

The  shimmers  are  everywhere.  They  are  all  I  can  see.  Focus!  Just  one  last  time.  I  only  need  to  focus  one  last  time.  I  need  to  push  the  shimmers  out  of  my  eyes.  I  need  to  push  the  frantic  shouts  from  outside  the  door  out  of  my  head.  I  need  to  focus.  I  want  my  favorite  person  to  be  the  first  thing  I  think  of  when  I  wake  up.  When  I  wake  up  from  this  simulation.  He’s  gonna  be  the  first  thing  I  think  of,  so  he  has  to  be  the  last  thing  I  think  of.

 

Focus!  I  focus  my  eyes  on  the  nameplate  on  his  desk  and  remember  our  first  encounter.  In  the  staircase.  I  was  crying  in  the  corner,  the  shimmers  wouldn’t  leave  me  alone.  I  remember  the  tone  of  voice  he  used.  He  was  sweet  with  me.  He  held  me  without  touching  me.  He  listened  to  me.

 

Tears  are  clouding  my  vision.

 

Focus!  I  must  focus.  I  shake  the  water  from  my  eyes  and  take  another  look  at  the  plate.

 

Jongin  Kim

School  Psychiatrist

 

I'm  coming,  my  love!

 

BLAM!

 

My  name  was  Sejda.