Unexpected Visitor

Forever Winter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    Seulgi studies the blueprints, tired eyes searching through them to make sure that nothing is out of place. She leans back into her seat, covering as a yawn escapes her.

    “Tired?” Seulgi turns her chair around to look up at her co-worker and best friend, Krystal. Despite her fatigue, she lets a smile grace her features, shaking her head.

    “Just a little. No big deal. You should be tired, too, Krystal.”

    “Liar, your dark circles are down to your chin.” Seulgi chuckles at that, stretching in her seat. Krystal looks over her shoulder to look at the blueprints that Seulgi’s been working on since the day before. “This looks pretty finished. I’m sure we can go home now, right? The boss won’t say anything about that. He told us to go home yesterday, too. I swear, Kang Seulgi. If you say - .”

    “Alright, alright,” Seulgi cuts her off and stands up from her seat, patting Krystal’s shoulder with a smile, “We can go home now, okay?”

    “Oh, thank everything that is good and holy. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Krystal turns around to her desk, but then looks back again, a slight frown creasing her forehead. “Be sure to get a good rest, KkangSseul. Don't pull another all nighter again, or I swear I'll knock you unconscious.” Seulgi grins, reaching up and ruffling Krystal's hair to the latter's distaste.

    “You too, Soojungie.” Krystal sighs, chuckles with a resigned smile, and gives a final wave before she snatches up her backpack and other personal belongings and leaves the room - momentarily letting the murmur of other people’s voices enter the quiet office - before the door shuts, and Seulgi’s thrown back into silence. Although Krystal seems a little insensitive and rough around the edges at times, Seulgi knows that she's a good person at heart. That is the reason why they're best friends after all.

Seulgi begins to pack up her own things - neatly putting her laptop, notebook, and pencils into her backpack before zipping it up. She grabs her coat off the back of her chair and puts it on, wrapping her scarf around her neck afterwards. Seulgi can feel the fatigue catching up to her as her eyes refuse to stay open without effort. Slinging her backpack over her shoulders, she walks out of the small office that she and Krystal shares, and locks the door.

    “Are you finally leaving? And here I thought I was going to have to drag you out. You know, Krystal.” Seulgi turns towards the familiar voice with a grin, shaking her head.

    “Hi, Taehyung. I told you not to listen to her. She’s too violent for her own good,” Seulgi says, chuckling. Taehyung laughs.

    “Right. She’s pretty fierce for her size, now that I think about it.”

    “I wouldn’t let her hear you say that if I were you.” Seulgi feigns a shiver of fear.

    “Oh, I wouldn’t dream of it.” They burst into laughter, making sure not to be too loud as there are still people working in the large office that Seulgi works at. Seulgi enjoys talking to Taehyung. He’s fun to be around, and a nice guy in all. Plus, she gets to make fun of Krystal with him - all in good humor, of course. Seulgi stops to stifle a yawn, covering with a hand. “I’ve kept you here too long. Sorry about that. I’ll let you go now, good night!”

    “Night, Taehyung.” Seulgi’s about to walk out when Taehyung’s voice stops her.

    “Oh, wait. Do you want me to walk you home? It’s pretty late.” Seugi immediately shakes her head, waving her hands at him.

    “No, no, I’ll be fine. Thanks, though. I’ll take a taxi if it makes you feel any better.” Taehyung furrows his brows before sighing.

    “Alright, be sure to take that taxi. It’s dangerous for pretty girls like you at night.” A teasing smile replaces the frown that had been on his face moments before, and Seulgi makes a playfully disgusted face at him.

    “Okay, you cheesy little brat. Good luck. Don’t stay too long, either.” Taehyung turns and waves her away. With a sound of amusement, Seulgi makes her way to the elevator and out of the building. The weather outside is cold - hence her coat and scarf - and she buries her hands into her pockets, shivering involuntarily at the cold gust of wind and the sound of the crunching of snow under her boots.

Seulgi actually enjoys winter - seeing the world draped under soft, white blankets of snow gives her a sense of peace. Who doesn't enjoy winter, anyway? After all, it’s the season with the best holiday and the beginning of another year. Seulgi bites her lip, contemplating on whether or not to take a taxi. She had been tired, but the winter air had woken her up, and she isn’t tired anymore. She brushes away the nagging feeling of breaking her promise with Taehyung and begins her walk to her house. The streets are packed with cars, and her apartment isn’t too far, anyhow. Plus, if she’s going to be honest with herself - she can use the exercise.

    

Seulgi had underestimated the distance. She’s now shivering against her door, eyes blurry from the lack of sleep as she slides her key into the lock and opens it - dragging herself inside. Her legs burn from the long walk home, but the rest of her body feels like it’s frozen. She’s thankful for the fact that her apartment has an automatic heater, and for the fact that she’d remembered to turn it on earlier when she had made a quick trip home to wash up. As she sheds herself of her backpack and coat, she sighs in relief at the warmth that engulfs her body. With shuffling steps, Seulgi opens the door to her room and goes over to her bed. Dropping her backpack and coat next to her bed, Seulgi collapses onto the soft blankets, and before she knows it, her eyes close and everything turns black.

    A little while later, Seulgi could’ve sworn that she heard some stirring downstairs. “Nngh, it’s just my dream, I must be dreaming,” She groans while sleeping on her side. However, the noises continue as chairs screech

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter