Dash Their Hopes

Dash Their Hopes - Optional Bias

Bright twinkling stars hid behind the thick dark clouds that cast over the city, shuffling from your bedroom to the living room. B-lining to the couch, you eased yourself down onto the cushion next to your boyfriend. His beautiful eyes glanced in your direction as the arm closest to you lifted up and rested behind you.

“What do you want to watch tonight?” He questioned, a smile pulling at the corner of his lips while you smiled slightly brighter than him.

“Hrmmmm, it’s a Friday night…” You tapped your finger against your lips as you thought a moment or two, easing your head down on his shoulder, you felt his arm tighten around you, his hand resting on your side. “Don’t you have a new episode of Ranking King on?”

“I do, it airs in a few minutes” Excitement lined your boyfriend’s words as you moved closer to him, placing your legs over top of his lap, he wrapped the softest blanket, in your home, around the two of you.

Punching in the numbers on the remote, you watched the few ending moments of the show before the shows changed on the hour.

“Comfy?” He whispered, one hand wrapped around you and resting on your side while his other hand brushed against your bare legs across his lap.

“Very. Are you?” You tilted your chin up a little as he hummed to assure you that he was comfy. Your head nuzzled into the crook of his neck, feeling his head gently rest on yours, you smiled while one of your hands rested on his chest while your other one wrapped around him.

The show started right on time, with a little preview of the episode before the theme song came on. The MC’s were happy and cheerful as the introduced the episode and your boyfriends’ band that was the special guest for the show.

“First you have to answer the questions before you can spin and move along the board, whoever gets to the end first gets to win the large teddy bear!” They showed the prize as well as the life sized game board that they were playing on.

Enjoying the show and the questions from fans, you relaxed in his arms, your fingers gently brushing over the fabric of his shirt while his hand drew little hearts along your skin. Watching s take turn after turn, you kept your eyes and interest on your boyfriend as well as how he answered the questions from fans.

“One fan asked if your ideal type of woman was older or younger than you?” One MC asked, hearing his question, you tensed slightly while your heart sped up slightly.

“Older” Your boyfriend replied confidently, your stomach churned as your eyes closed, holding your breath a little you felt his hand rub against your side slowly. A different feeling overcame you as you your lips, bringing your bottom lip between your teeth, you pulled on it a little.

Thoughts overloaded your mind, thinking that you were definitely younger than him by several years, taking in a deep breath, you closed your eyes at the warm stinging sensation building in your eyes. Lowering your head slowly, your head rested against his chest as you tried to work through your thoughts.

Doubt, sadness and hurt filled your chest minute after minute, you felt him rubbing your back gently thinking that you were just tired. Usually you felt warm and comforted but this time disgust and discomfort were in their place. Pushing yourself up off of his chest, you kept your eyes down.

“Is everything okay?” Your boyfriend questioned, his hand moving from your back to up your arm and to your cheek.

“Please, excuse me” You whispered, moving the blanket from over you, you slipped off of his lap and slowly shuffled to the bedroom. Sitting on the edge of the couch, your boyfriend watched you leave slowly, wondering why you were so formal all of a sudden.

Did he do something wrong? Were you not feeling well? Were you just really tired? Did he say something?

Turning off the show, he tossed the blanket aside as he cleaned up the living room a little and the kitchen, just to see if that wouldn’t help your spirits. Time ticked by as he watched the green digital lights turn minute after minute on the appliances in the kitchen. Watching ten minutes slip by then a half an hour and eventually forty five minutes, he walked up to the shared master bedroom door.

Raising his hand to the door, he was just about to knock when he heard your struggled sobs.

“Babe?” He cooed, knocking ever so lightly against the door as he pushed the door open slightly.

“Don’t call me that” You whispered, tears continuously rolling down your reddened cheeks.

“Why not, sweetie?” He stepped inside, using another pet name to see if you just weren’t up for that name today.

“Don’t call me that either…” You pushed yourself upright on the bed, your back turned towards him while your shoulder slowly rounded forward.

“Why can’t I call you those names?” He probed, his head tilting from one side to the other as he tried to figure it out.

“Because I am not yours anymore” You told him quietly, large tears rolled down your stained cheeks as you covered your mouth to muffle your sobs.

“What do you mean that you aren’t mine?” Worry and heartache filled his eyes as they widened, sitting beside your form on the bed, he leaned against his hand trying to get closer to you.

“I’m not, I never was” You whispered, your hands wiping away your tears from dripping off of your chin.

“You’re scaring me” He whispered, his voice shaking while his eyes coated over with his own tears. “What do you mean”

“I-I-I’m n-n-not your i-i-i-ideal t-t-type” You sobbed

“What do you mean you aren’t? You match everything I want and more” He placed a hand on your back as you quickly moved away from his touch.

“Then how come you didn’t tell your fans?” You turned your head to his direction, your eyes locking with his as a single tear trickled down your cheek.

“I can’t dash their hopes…” He whispered gently, his hands retracting into his lap.

“So you thought that you could dash mine?” You snapped, you were beyond done with this conversation. Standing up, you passed in front of him as you felt his hand catch your wrist.

“I just wanted to win that teddy bear for you” He told you, his eyes slightly lighting up with truth as you just shook your head and snatched your wrist out of his grasp.

“I wouldn’t want that bear since you lied to get it” You told him, your feet trotting across the floor as you slammed the bedroom door behind you.

A sigh escaped his lips as he covered his face with his hands, falling back onto the bed, he let a few tears escape his eyes as well before he quickly wiped them away.

The air hung heavy with anger and jumbled words that you only wished you could mutter to one another. Hours passed as the two of you stayed away from each other, he stayed in the bedroom as you got comfy on the couch.

Flipping through the channels on the TV absentmindedly, you heard the master bedroom door open. Glancing over at him then him over at you, you your lips and then slowly turned your head back to the screen in front of you.

“Hey, ______” Your boyfriend called as he was cautious with getting too close to you.

“What?” You whispered once you felt him sit on the other end of the couch.

“Do you know why I lied to my fans and to you?” His hands nervously played with one another, spinning the promise ring around his finger.

“Why?” Your one word responses got harder and harder to whisper

“I wanted to let them off gently, to try and deter them from liking me so I wouldn’t break their hearts when I break the news to them that I love you” His words hit you hard, fighting to keep your eyes forward, you slowly turned your head to see a few tears fall from his eyes and onto his tear blotted shirt.

“What about the older fans? You just gave them hope” You told him

“They can handle it better than the young ones, the would understand. They probably know what it is like to be in love” His reply was simple but from the heart and full of thought.

“Please don’t lie to your fans or to me” You whispered wanting to believe his words but not knowing if they were the truth or not.

“I will straighten all of this out, but first I want to make sure that I straighten it out with you” His eyes lifted to yours as you gently nodded.

“I’m really sorry” He started, “I promise I will clean the apartment and do the laundry, dishes, and make dinner for the rest of the month….” He started to ramble off punishments you could give him, but seeing the pain pool in his eyes once more, you leaned forward and wrapped your arms around him.

“You don’t have to do anything” You whispered, your arms holding him securely against you, while your hands slowly rubbing down his back.

Feeling his arms lift and wrap around you slowly, his arms tightened around your waist as he lifted you up so that you were straddling his lap. Your body pressed against his while his head nuzzled into your neck, yours did the same as you felt the slow warm tears fall from his eyes.

“I’d do anything for you” He whispered, “If you told me to walk to the edge of the earth, I would do it just so you won’t be upset at me.”

“Sweetie, I am a little upset that you lied but I understand why you did it, you didn’t want to hurt their feelings and you didn’t mean to hurt mine” You told him, running your fingers through his hair slowly.

“Although you may be on dinner, dishes, and laundry duty for the rest of the month” You teased, slightly pulling away.

“You were just supposed to choose one” He teased back, tickling your sides lightly.

“If I can only choose one… then… I will choose you” You smiled, your thumb brushing against his cheek.

“I will choose you too, time and time again” He smiled as he gently kissed your forehead, a smile slowly curled on your frowned lips. Your slightly cold heart, warmed up and fluttered once more. Not wanting anyone but him.