two.

like you're running out of breath

a/n: ~time to be brave, say im not afraid~ find me on twitter spazzing abt jjp @neomuverymark  

long overdue, but finally here!!! 1.9k w.

since this isn't getting many reviews, i'm quite lost & i want to implement this. 4 votes and 7 comments (for this chap) for the next chapter to come out~ please comment, it helps a lot

 

ㅇㅇㅇ

jinyoung pulls jaebum out of his chair, leading him around the hotel, instead of the intended customary introduction to the rest of the kids. the latter wonders how the cat-like boy can still be sober and energetic after his heavy looking drink.

 

"it wasn't very heavy, plus it was mixed with coffee. i can hear your thoughts from here." jinyoung says, not even looking at his hyung. jaebum breaks his stare from jinyoung, embarrassed for being caught.

 

he then goes into thought about which jinyoung the younger was. he resists the urge to look at the boy who now stood next to him in the elevator, insistent on not being caught this time.

 

"so, where do you live?" jinyoung breaks the silence as the elevator moves down floors quickly. his eyes are on jaebum now, as if assessing him and trying to dissect his thoughts.

 

the older of the two has a poker face on, but he knows that jinyoung isn't fazed by it. "isn't that too a private question to disclose to someone you just met?"

 

"do you not have any security?" jinyoung asks back, and jaebum realises that if he had heavy surveillance around his house, he would reveal it quite easily.

 

"i do," jaebum says, and it's the truth. "it's just better safe than sorry."

 

"such commoner mentality," jinyoung offhandedly comments, and jaebum gapes at him because what?! "no offense," he adds quickly, seeing the cross look on the older's face.

 

"i take offence to that!" jaebum rages, and just then, the elevator dings. the doors open, and jinyoung takes this opportunity to just shoot him an apologetic look, before dragging him down the hallway.

 

they arrive in front a boutique, and jaebum scrunches up his nose in scrutiny. why had jinyoung brought him here?

 

jinyoung pushes him in and urges him to pick something. jaebum glances around warily, brushing his fingers against the wide range of fabrics displayed. he then picks up a piece that catches his eye, a pair of carefully distressed jeans and finally a pair of doc martens boots.

 

making an unimpressed face, jinyoung nods at the saleslady, who takes all the articles of clothing from jaebum. the latter looks confused, until jinyoung mutters, "your style is overused."

 

jaebum's about to retaliate when jinyoung continues, "there's no variety, look at the clothes you're wearing and the clothes you've chosen." he gestures to the similar ensemble jaebum had on to the party, his gaze lingering on his slightly worn out worn out sneakers.

 

"these are all designer brands though," jaebum says defensively, snorting at jinyoung.

 

"worn for over two years," jinyoung says under his breath. "you're new money now, you should know how to dress like it."

 

the older is about to refuse and protest when jinyoung shuts him up with a few simple words: "you can't show up at a company party like that, can you?"

 

and that's how jinyoung teaches jaebum the first step to being a chaebol to play the part, you need to dress the part.

 

((at the im enterprises' first official revamp opening, jaebum walks around the party, going over to his father's side.

"oh my goodness, is this your son?" a business partner asks mr. im. "he has a good eye for clothes," she praises in approval.

"he usually doesn't," his father laughs. "but today he looks very cool."

later, jaebum gets pulled aside by his father. "what's with the sudden change? this looks very good on you, and very different from your usual style."

"i got help from a friend, so," he grins and walks away, right to that friend's side.))

ㅇㅇㅇ

 

it's months after, long after jaebum had grown accustomed to jinyoung's incessant flirting, long after jinyoung had finally warmed up to jaebum. it's been even longer since the recreation of jaebum's wardrobe, and they've been attached at the hip.

 

in his own right, jinyoung is smart, being fluent in japanese and speaking english. and in jaebum's own, he's good at math and economics, possibly taking over the im enterprise after his father retires. jinyoung has no interest in that, taking instead to bury his nose in books (especially self-improvement ones).

 

and it's when jaebum's trying to bug him and pry him away from them that a thought strikes him. "hey, jinyoung-ah?"

 

"no, hyung, i am not going to another rave after that one. i like classical music, okay?"

 

laughing at the memory of disgust on jinyoung's face, jaebum says, "no, i wanted to ask, have you ever eaten ddeokbokki?"

 

"those spicy rice cakes?" the younger of the two frowns and replies, "no, not really, why?"

 

"c'mon, i just found something to do."

 

and that's how jinyoung gets dragged to a street stall in the middle of who-knows-where, at the edge of seoul.

 

"there are so many of these in gangnam, why did you have to drive me all the way here to eat some?" jinyoung complains, tugging at the older's sleeve. "it's almost winter, i'm going to freeze to death!"

 

"then i'll have to warm you up, hmm?" jaebum replies easily, looking for the stall owner, not even looking at his younger companion.

 

the aforementioned looks surprised at the answer, realizing his constant suggestive words must have rubbed off on jaebum. he laughs, and says, "is that a promise?"

 

"it was just to appease you, jinyoung-ah." jaebum pulls at jinyoung's beanie, grinning. "auntie, can we have three servings of ddeokbokki and a bottle of soju?"

 

"who's the alcohol for?" jinyoung asks carefully. "and three servings, really? you're going to eat all that?"

 

"nope, you are." the younger gives jaebum a disbelieving look, and he continues, "trust me, once you start eating it, you won't be able to stop."

 

true to his word, jinyoung eats almost all of it, jaebum laughing at how amazed jinyoung looks after tasting it. the soju bottle goes untouched, jaebum eyeing it warily, suddenly regretting ordering it.

 

meanwhile, having devoured the food, jinyoung looks at the bottle, his mind forming a plan. "hyung, why don't we play a game? the one who loses has to drink."

 

"one of us has to drive back, though."

 

"that's why i will. the whole bottle, just for you."

 

"me? i wont lose," the competitive spirit in jaebum getting fired up.

 

"we'll see about that."

 

they agree on who can do the most pull ups at the nearby playground, and jaebum laughs as jinyoung stretches his supposedly lanky arms. it's another usual day where jinyoung is in a sweater, a black turtleneck this time, and jaebum is pleasantly surprised at his arms that actually have some muscles.

 

trying to stop himself from ogling the younger, jaebum does the same, grunting and touching his toes. he even splits and jinyoung laughs at his competitiveness. the normal eye would have thought that jinyoung would win, since he was stronger in the arms, from his body building. jaebum's body was slightly more lean, from his thin waist and toned stomach.

 

unbeknownst to everyone, jinyoung always worked out at the gym alone, even going as far to hire a personal trainer. he may be less manly in comparison to the older, but he was definitely not weak.

 

they start, with jinyoung going first, stopping at twenty-seven. jaebum laughs and goes for twenty-eight just to spite jinyoung. the younger fumes but can't do anything about it, sighing in defeat.

 

he grabs the soju bottle, taking off the cap. he tilts it to jaebum's side, raising an eyebrow in cheers. he puts it to his lips and drinks, trying to down the drink but failing around a quarter on the way. his best friend laughs in glee, seeing jinyoung act like a kid and put his trained guard down was refreshing sight to see.

 

jinyoung eventually drinks it all, and though the two had been friends for a long time, they never actually went to drink together after the time they met at the bar. it's the first time jaebum's seen jinyoung drunk, and he's honestly surprised he didn't know the latter would be a lightweight.

 

clinging onto jaebum, jinyoung goes as far as doing aegyo towards his best friend, and jaebum grins despite himself. he was too cute for his own good, and even as jaebum drags him to his car, he can't feel regret.

 

he buckles him to safety, jinyoung falling to a light sleep. it was interesting for the older man, who could finally see a softer side of jinyoung, especially since he always was very strict and snarky when it came to dealing with jaebum. he would definitely use this against the former for a very long time.

 

it's only when they get to jinyoung's penthouse that he sobers up and awakens, and jaebum can finally see the rose-tinted image he had, all the cuteness gone, only left with his sharp eyes.

 

"what the ," he mumbles, holding his head. "i can't believe i lost to you."

 

jaebum shrugs, opening the balcony doors, admiring the nightlife. "it's a great view, i don't know why you hate inviting me over."

 

"i might want to do something to you that you've been refusing of me," jinyoung says, not even batting an eyelash as he stretches. "but also the fact that this place brings back bad memories for me."

 

"it's the comfort of your own home." he doesn't even acknowledge the first statement, long realising that jinyoung is all bark and no bite. "ex-whoever problems?"

 

jinyoung makes a noise of agreement, turning on his coffee machine. they stay in comfortable silence after that, jaebum just staring at the night view, and jinyoung patiently waiting for his coffee. when it's done, he brings two mugs over to the balcony and offers one to his best friend, who smiles appreciatively.

 

jinyoung pipes up after a while, "i didn't know what it felt like, then."

 

"what?"

 

"how it felt to be comfortable with someone. i always hid from them, since they were always people who did business with my dad, so i never felt any genuine feelings from them."

 

he in a breath, blowing over the steam from the mug. "they always just had something to gain."

 

jaebum couldn't say that he understood fully, but he got the gist. he keeps quiet, waiting for jinyoung to go on. maybe he was still drunk and spilling his stories, or maybe finally just trying to open up to jaebum?

 

"i guess that's where you come in," jinyoung mutters, taking a sip. "you're the first person who tried to teach me about how usual people live."

 

staring, he can't help but try to read his best friend's reaction. "you've been the only one who opened my eyes, showing me more than myself."

 

it's an honest confession, and jaebum can't help but realize how heartfelt what jinyoung was saying was. if only the latter could read what jaebum felt the older didn't even know it himself, yet he would see the endearment and something deeper stirring.

 

he takes a seat on the couch inside, jaebum still staring out of the balcony. "maybe that's why i started to like you."

 

jaebum can't help but stare, not believing what jinyoung said. did he hear right?

 

"what do you..." he turns around,

 

only to find jinyoung asleep on the couch.