Ch.1: Run

It Was You

Whatever the weather or day there is, it would still be dark, dull and lifeless for the eyes and heart of Lee Nari. Because for her, Christmas is the worst season of all.

It was Christmas day when her beloved friend died from a terminal illness. It was December when all her painful memories came back after several years. It was this time of the year when she lost everyone that she loved. And well, it was this month when she found out she was being cheated by her boyfriend, well, it's already 'ex-boyfriend.' There were just so many happenings in her December season.

Another highlight of her life: Though now it's less severe compared to her past condition, she was very depressive. This affected her personal life, her schooling, her career, her relationship with people. This worst time of her life... she had no one. She was crying all by herself. She was blaming herself. She felt worthless and her self-esteem lowered. For such young age, it must be a very tough battle to fight her condition.

Today is the 24th of December, Thursday morning when the sun rose as well as her body with a soul almost wanting to leave her flesh. It felt hard for her to open her eyes but she still managed to call it 'another day.' Another empty day. It is Thursday when she can take a break from her work in a small restaurant near her petty house. She peeked at her windows and saw her neighbors busy setting up their Christmas gimmick.

The bags under her eyes were still very noticable. It's been weeks since her latest insomnia attacked her nights.

She decided to treat herself even though it was a hard decision for her. She learned from her friend which is a psychiatrist that this is a small step to change her lifestyle and get away from her dark cage.

She bought a good ticket to a concert of a rock band she doesn't even idolize. She thought that it may be a way to get socialize with people and have fun (though it's a doubt that she will.)

- - -

Nari's at the very back of the mosh pit. She's very unsteady since it's the first time she ever attended in a concert full of strangers for her eyes. She looked around the people having fun, headbanging, screaming, crying, dancing on the floor. She felt so suffocated by the crowd. Seems like she's the lone alien in the outdoor venue. One thing's for sure... she felt so awkward. No one's bothered having a small chat with her, not until this guy came who's now aware of her existence in the pit.

Later by later, the guy noticed that Nari's been caught by the waves of people. Soon, without having noticed by her, he covered Nari with his body from the people moshing and pushing each other. With this, he approached the frowning Nari.

"You okay there?" He brushed up his hair and smiled, still looking worried for her. His dripping sweat coming from the sides of her cheeks and cool breath attracted Nari and caught the attention.

Nari shook her head and looked away. She seemed very conscious with him.

The guy put back his hood and held Nari's hand, "Would you mind... if you run away with me?"

- - -

"Hi? Are you... okay?" asked the guy. He looked at Nari with wonder. He found her interesting.

"Are you, perhaps, a country girl?" asked the guy once again. He can't get any answer from Nari. "Sorry if this sounds rude to you but... is it your first time... in the city?"

"N-no. It isn't." finally a reply from her.

"Ahh," he glanced at Nari and smiled secretly.

"You know... I have so many questions to ask you." said the guy which caught her attention. "Please, look at me."

And so Nari looked at him, "By chance, do you know me?" he asked once again.

In a pure, almost-whispered voice, she responded, "N-no."

"For real?"

" *nods slowly"

The guy sighed so deep and looked at the stars above. He chased his racing breath and bit his lower lip. He's not really sure if he would feel happy or disappointed. But still, he stretched his hand and introduced himself, "I'm Kim Hanbin. Sorry if I dragged you here."

"It's... okay. Thank you." Nari said while closing her fists and releasing a big sigh. The blood's rushing as seen through her pinky cheeks. Her body's quite shaking from the coldness since they were at outdoors, and far from that ground-breaking concert.

"Do you feel cold? Sorry let's go somewhere-"

"I'm... really okay.... H-Hanbin."

That line somewhat skipped Hanbin's heart beat.

"Would you like to... share something? You know, I'm a good listener." He chuckled at his own words. How silly.

Nari looked at him with full of surprise. Never in her broken life did she ever felt the same hope again. "I'm sorry if you feel that I'm a very boring person."

"No, I don't think that. To be honest... you are very interesting."

That made her eyes widened with an unexplainable feeling.

"You know... for me it's a big effort to initiate a conversation with someone else."

Hanbin arranged his posture and sit properly. He listened very intently. He watched her with a very sincere heart.

"I would really appreciate your kind heart to listen, but I'm afraid... you might run away-"

In the most wholehearted voice, he sat closer, looked at her eyes with earnest and said, "I promise. You can trust me with this one."

 

End of Chapter 1