You Would Be A Great Father

You Would Be A Great Father

It was in the early afternoon when the doorbell of Hakyeon's and Jaehwan's apartment rang. Hakyeon went to answer the door, while Jaehwan continued with setting up the table for lunch.
 

"Hey, Hyung." Sanghyuk greeted when Hakyeon opened the door.

"Hi, do you want to come in? Jaehwan and I are just about to have lunch, if you want you can eat with us."

"I would loved to, but I can't. Actually I'm here to ask a favour." Sanghyuk said. "You see Hongbin and I just got called to attend a meeting in Japan and I was wondering if you could look after Minhyuk. We couldn't find anyone else to do it, so you're kind of our last hope."

"I would love to help you out, but I don't know what Jaehwan thinks. You know he is scared that he will hurt him."

"I know. That's why we tried to find someone else, but everyone already has plans. Please hyung, I'm begging you."

"Okay, okay. I'll help you out. Don't worry."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you."

at that moment a small boy came running to Hakyeon and Sanghyuk.

"Daddy~!" He said happy and hugged his father's leg

"Minhyuk, you were supposed to stay by your dad."

"But I wanted to see Uncle Hakyeon and Uncle Jaehwan."

"But still you shouldn't had left. You will make your dad worry."

Hakyeon just smiled as Sanghyuk scolded his son for leaving Hongbin. Sanghyuk and Hongbin had been married for seven years, both had a stable and well paid job and an adorable six year old son. They were such a happy and adorable family, Samething Hakyeon wished to be.
 

Hakyeon had been married with Jaehwan for two years now and both got a job they love. Hakyeon works at a dance studio, teaching kids from six to seventeen year old. Jaehwan had a job at a comic book store, selling all kind of manga and always came home with the newest volume of One Piece when he got it in stock. The only thing that was missing was a little kid walking around the house. Hakyeon always wanted to have kids, he often talked with Jaehwan about adopting a baby boy or baby girl. Jaehwan loved the idea of being a father, but ever since what happened a year ago he had changed his mind.
 

It was mid december, The whole house was decorated with Christmas decorations. Jaehwan and Minhyuk were playing around like they always did. Everything was just fine, until Jaehwan crashed into the Christmas tree, causing the tree to fall onto the ground. The tree landed just a few centimeters in front of Minhyuk, Christmas balls broke and the shards flew everywhere in the room. Hakyeon was in the Kitchen when he heard a loud bang followed by a crying Minhyuk. He rushed into the living room, finding the tree with shattered Christmas balls on the ground, a crying Minhyuk and a sobbing husband. He picked Minhyuk up and placed him on the couch, he then helped his husband to get up and told him to sit on the couch as well before Hakyeon rushed to the bathroom to get the first aid box. Hakyeon first treated Minhyuk’s small cuts, drawing smileys on every plaster, whipped his tears away and kissed the top of his head, before telling him to go and play with his toy cars in the hall until the floor got cleaned. Minhyuk left to play in the hall, already smiling like he had forgotten what had just happened. Jaehwan on the other hand wasn't that easy to cheer up and his wounds were worse since his hands had landed on some Christmas balls.


"I'm the worst person ever." Jaehwan said between his sobs

"You aren't the worst, it was an accident." Hakyeon said as he carefully pulled out the shards

"I should had been more carefull. What if I hurt him? I wouldn't forgive myself if that happened."

"Dear, It could had happen to anyone. Minhyuk is alright, he is already smiling like nothing happened."

"I... I don't think... I can do it..." Jaehwan said

"Do what?" Hakyeon asked and looked his husband into the eye

"Having kids... I don't want them to get hurt because of me... I don't think I can be a good father."

 

Hakyeon stayed quiet as he began to bandage Jaehwan's hands.

"I'm sorry."

Ever since that day Jaehwan had kept his distance from Minhyuk. He didn't wanted to babysit anymore, and he didn't came to birthdays and other activities. Hakyeon always had to lie to Minhyuk telling Jaehwan was at home with a headache or some other excuse. The little boy always wished Jaehwan to get better soon, but there always was that sad and disappointed look in his eyes. Jaehwan is his favorite uncle.

"Seriously, you're just like your daddy." Hongbin told his son, causing Hakyeon out of his thoughts. "Running off like that."

Sanghyuk and Minhyuk let out a laugh,  Sometimes Hakyeon felt really sorry for Hongbin that he had to life with them. He must have a hard time, sometimes.

“I guess you two have a flight to catch, am I right? Don’t worry we will look after him.” Hakyeon said after a while
“Yeah we have indeed.” Hongbin said and gave Hakyeon a big bag with Minhyuk’s stuff in it. “This must be enough for the time we are gone. Also make sure he eats his vegetables and don’t spoil him too much.”
“Don’t worry, he will be fine.” Hakyeon said
“Thank you so much, you’re our hero.” Sanghyuk said before he kneeled down in front of his son. “Minhyuk, promise me you would behave when dad and daddy are gone?”
“I promise!“ Minhyuk said, Sanghyuk smiled and ruffled his hair.
“I will miss you.” Sanghyuk said and placed a kiss on his forehead
“And dad will miss you too.” Hongbin said, picking Minhyuk up after Sanghyuk had said his goodbye And then pressed a kiss on Minhyuk’s small nose, before he put him back on the ground
“I will miss you the most.” Minhyuk said

Hongbin and Sanghyuk both gave Minhyuk one last hug, before they left.

“We should get in.” Hakyeon said and walked in with Minhyuk. “Did you already had lunch?”

“Not yet.” Minhyuk answered as he followed Hakyeon to the living room

“Jaehwan, can you prepare an extra plate?”

“An extra plate? Is someone eating lunch with us?” Jaehwan asked confused
 

Hakyeon wanted to answer his husband, but before he could do so, Minhyuk was already running over to Jaehwan with open arms
 

“Uncle Jaehwannie~!“

“Minhyukkie… Hi”  Jaehwan said a little hesitate, before glaring at Hakyeon

“I missed you so much” Minhyuk said, still standing in front of Jaehwan with open arms. Wanting to get picked up and spinned around like they always did, but it never happened

“I missed you too.” Jaehwan said, giving a small pet on his head before continuing setting up the table.
 

Minhyuk let his arms fall next to his body, a sad expression on his face.

Hakyeon noticed it and sighed. He walked over to the small boy and petted his head.
 

“I’m sorry about that, uncle Jaehwannie is a little moody. He will be his normal self later, just give him some time.” Hakyeon said, looking  Jaehwan in the eyes as he mouthed ‘We really need to talk about this.’

“Okay.” Minhyuk said and smiled a little.
 

Hakyeon placed a pillow on the chair next to him, Minhyuk was a little to small for their table but with a pillow he could reach his plate just fine. Hakyeon then helped Minhyuk to sit on the chair and prepared his lunch.
 

“Where are the pretty Christmas decoration” Minhyuk asked as he now noticed there weren’t any decorations

“We were planning on decorating today.” Hakyeon said

“We ar-ow” Jaehwan got cut off by Hakyeon who kicked him under the table.

“We can make Christmas cookies while uncle Jaehwan puts on the tree.”
 

Minhyuk cheered happily, he always loves to help baking or cooking. his parents didn’t let him help that often, they were too scared something might happen to their little boy, but whenever he was at Hakyeon’s and Jaehwan’s place he always was allowed to.
 

When they all finished their lunch Hakyeon lets Minhyuk play in the living room with his toy cars, so Hakyeon could talk to his husband in their bedroom without the young child around.
 

“Why do I have to put on the tree?” Jaehwan asked

“First of all it’s Christmas in a few days and it is kind of weird not having any decorations when it’s Christmas. You know our parents and friends will visit, it will be embarrassing if there is no Christmas spirit in our house. Secondly there might be a chance Hongbin and Sanghyuk aren’t back home on time for Christmas and I want Minhyuk to have a great Christmas. You know how much he loves this holiday and it would be sad if he has to celebrate it like this.”

“I know, but… you know what happened last year… what if it happens again.”

“Jaehwannie, it was a year ago. You have to learn to move on from that event, don’t let one accident ruin the things you always enjoyed in life.” Hakyeon said and placed a hand on Jaehwan’s cheek. “I know how much you always enjoyed to have Minhyuk around and you saw how happy he was when he finally saw you again after such a long time. Believe me everything will be fine.”

“But still, I'm scared. I don’t want to hurt him.”

“I know dear, but I think putting on the tree and other decoration is a good start to move on. You can take your time there is no hurry, as long as it all stands before Christmas eve.” Hakyeon spoke softly and peeked Jaehwan’s soft lips

“Thanks, you're the best.” Jaehwan said feeling a little bit better

“I know, that’s why you asked me to marry you.” Hakyeon said playfully, knowing that would cheer Jaehwan up some more

“Are we getting a little arrogant here?” Jaehwan chuckled and pressed his lips on Hakyeon’s, kissing more passionately than the kiss they shared before
 

Jaehwan pushed Hakyeon softly against the wall, biting Hakyeon’s bottom lip. Hakyeon hummed and opened his mouth, allowing Jaehwan to slip his tongue inside his mouth.
 

“I love you.” Jaehwan said when they broke the kiss

“I love you too.” Hakyeon told the younger wanting to press his lips on his husband’s, but was interrupted by a knock on the door

“Uncle Hakyeon, when are we going to bake christmas cookies?” Minhyuk asked

“I will come in a second.” Hakyeon answered
 

He looked Jaehwan into the eyes and smiled before pressing a peek on his lips.
 

“I gotta go, Minhyukkie is getting impatient.” Hakyeon said, Jaehwan noded in understanding and let Hakyeon go, so he could start baking Christmas cookies with Minhyuk.
 

When Hakyeon left the room, Jaehwan let out a heavy sigh before he climbed the ladder to their small attic. He carefully took the Christmas boxes down stairs and placed them one by one in the living room. When he had all the boxes he closed the attic and put the ladder away, before he began to unpack the fake Christmas tree. Taking his time as he build the tree and placing it on it’s place, where it stood every year. He then began to decorate the room with other decorations, leaving the Christmas tree empty.
 

Mean while Hakyeon and Minhyuk were busy making the Christmas cookies. Hakyeon mixed the ingredients until it was a big ball of dough. he gave a half to Minhyuk and let the other half in the boil. Hakyeon stood beside Minhyuk helping him here and there, when he needed help with getting the cutted cookies on the baking paper.
 

“Can I eat some of the dough?” Minhyuk asked after a while

“Sure but don’t eat too much, I don’t want you to get sick.” Hakyeon said and gave Minhyuk a small piece of dough for him to eat. Minhyuk eyes shone with happiness when he ate a little bit of dough.

“It’s delicious.” Minhyuk said happily and held a little piece up to Hakyeon’s mouth. “You should try too it’s delicious!“
 

Hakyeon smiled at the young child, ruffling his hair before opening his mouth. Minhyuk then put the dough into Hakyeon’s mouth, watching him eat and waiting for his reaction.
 

“It’s really delicious!“ Hakyeon said and pulled him into a hug and pressed a kiss on Minhyuk’s cheek. “Thank you for sharing your dough with me.”

“Of course I would share it with you!“ Minhyuk said and pressed a kiss on Hakyeon’s cheek. “Can I give Uncle Jaehwan some cookie dough too?”

“I will check how he is doing, he wasn’t feeling well around lunch. You can make some more snowman cookies while I'm checking how he is doing okay?”

“Okay” Minhyuk said and began to make some more cookies
 

Hakyeon walked into the living room, looking around at all the decorations until he spotted Jaehwan standing on  a chair. He was trying to hang the mistletoe on the ceiling, not noticing Hakyeon walked towards him.
 

“How is decorating going?” Hakyeon asked joining Jaehwan under the mistletoe

“okay… I guess. I already set up the tree and put the lights in it, but it still needs to get decorated though. I placed the fake snow and the small Christmas houses, hung some lights through the room and placed all the cute plushies on the .”

“And the mistletoe is hanging too?”

“Yes it is.”

“Aren’t you forgetting something, come down here.” Hakyeon hinted

“Of course not.” Jaehwan said as he realised they both stood under the mistletoe.
 

Jaehwan stepped off the chair and wrapped his arms around Hakyeon’s waist before pressing his lips on his husband’s. Hakyeon wrapped his arms around Jaehwan’s neck, they kept holding each other like that after they broke the kiss.
 

“Minhyukkie wants to give you some of his cookie dough, are you alright with that? I don’t want him to get rejected by his favorite uncle.” Hakyeon said

“You can tell him he gave give it to me. You were right about what you said earlier and now I’m decorating on my own, I’m realizing more and more I do miss him around and I feel like such an idiot for acting like how I did all the time.”

“I’m proud of you.” Hakyeon said and buried his face into the crook of Jaehwan’s neck. “I’m really proud of you.”
 

They stood there for some more minutes until Minhyuk came running into the room with a little cookie dough in his hands.


“I want a hug too!“

“Minhyukkie, I told you to wait until I would get you.” Hakyeon scolded him

“I finished the snowman cookies.” Minhyuk said
“I check if the oven is warm enough, you can stay here with uncle Jaehwan.You wanted to give him something right?” Hakyeon said, Minhyuk nodded

Hakyeon then left the two alone.
 

“What do you want to give me?” Jaehwan asked and kneeled down, still a bit hesitant

“I wanted to give you this.” Minhyuk said and held the small piece of cookie dough in front of Jaehwan’s face. “It’s really delicious!”
 

Jaehwan smiled, he really missed those times Minhyuk would share something with him. Or when he would ask Jaehwan everything about Pokemon and then being so surprised Jaehwan knows so much about it like his is a Pokemon master. Or how Minhyuk would smile while watching his favorite show or when he is just happy in general. Jaehwan missed it all for a whole year and he regretted to push the child away like he did all this time.

“Thank you.” Jaehwan said before opening his mouth waiting for Minhyuk to put the cookie dough into his mouth. “You’re right it’s delicious!”

A bright smile appeared on his face, he was so happy Jaehwan was acting more like himself. Minhyuk then hugged his favorite uncle, Jaehwan wrapping his arms around him.
 

“I missed you.” Minhyuk said softly
“I missed you too.” Jaehwan said before letting go of Minhyuk. “Do you want to help and decorate the tree?” Minhyuk nodded in response

 

Even though Jaehwan thought it was scary to let the little child help him. He knew it was for the best, he had to get over his fear and he wanted to make many more memories to make up for the whole year, running away from his fears.
 

“Can I put the star on top of the tree?” Minhyuk asked

“Of course you can.” Jaehwan said
 

Minhyuk held the golden glitter star into his hands, extending his arm as far as he could and standing on his toes. Of course he still couldn’t reach the top of the tree. Jaehwan let out a chuckle, seeing Minhyuk like that is just adorable.
 

“Let me help you.” Jaehwan said and picked Minhyuk up from the ground, holding him by the top of the tree so Minhyuk could place the star on top. Jaehwan then placed him back on the ground and they both looked at the pretty star before they started decorating the tree with the christmas balls.
 

They both laughed and enjoyed decorating the tree a lot, neither of them knew that Hakyeon was standing by the door smiling brightly as he watch them.
 

“Jaehwan, you will be a great father.” Hakyeon said to himself before he joined the two and helped them with decorating the tree.

 


Merry Christmas everyone!!! this is my christmas gift to you all an adorable fluffy Haken oneshot!
Seriously this ship needs more love! 
anyways I hope you have a great christmas and if you dont celebrate it I hope you have a nice day! 
 
also Im sorry if there are any mistakes I will correct it as soon as posible later this week or something