one.

between the stars (i found you) [2/2]
between the stars (i found you) [2/2].
 
 
hyunwoo figures that hot chocolate just wouldn't make it for the freezing winter that has struck them for a week. christmas is due in a few days and he still hasn't made a move on jooheon yet. maybe this little 'date' at the cafe would count, but he wants something more, and he knows jooheon probably wants it too. he sips on his hot latte, seemingly uncomfortable with the current situation. none of them are talking, yet they know that there's so much going on at the back of their minds. jooheon makes the first move, giving him a little sticky note that he pulled out of the pocket of his oversized coat.

"hey hyunwoo, do you happen to be ... free on christmas?" jooheon is back to his stuttering habits and hyunwoo knows he only stutters when he's nervous.

"i don't have any plans as of now so ... yeah" hyunwoo replies, reading the address written on the sticky note.

"then um ... 9pm at the address written, alright?" jooheon gives a shaky chuckle, getting up from his seat before flashing hyunwoo one of his usual brightest smiles. "i've got to go now, projects and stuff, you know? see you soon!"

it's been a few months since jooheon has released a mixtape on soundcloud, and it's been a few weeks since hyunwoo found out about jooheon's passion about rap and hiphop. jooheon claims that he hasn't told hyunwoo because he was afraid hyunwoo might laugh and for it -- the face of a baby with a liking of a 'fierce music genre'. hyunwoo laughed hysterically when he found out at first but the pout on jooheon's face brought a stop to his laugh, and instead a bunch of comforting sounds along the lines of "ajujuju" as he pinched the younger's cheeks. one thing's for sure, he admires jooheon's passion. he was told that jooheon failed in a few competitions countless times but the fact that the boy got closer to the finals after every competition, but also managed to be the semi finalist in a few was undoubtedly one of the reasons why hyunwoo adores jooheon. 

hyunwoo simply assumes that he's off to do some recording or maybe he's working on his tracks since he did get a small contract from a lower-end producer that lasted for only a year. jooheon's just finished his finals and is on winter break so hyunwoo figures that 'school projects' can't be it.

it only takes days for hyunwoo to realize the decreasing frequencies of their meet ups and text messages. this time, hyunwoo initiates but all he gets back is a "i'm sorry i'm kinda busy" and "maybe next time". never has he been so dissapointed and upset, especially not from someone he expects it the least. maybe he really does have a huge project that he's been working on, or maybe he has a girlfriend already. that kid, hyunwoo's voice at the back of his mind yells frustratedly.
 
***

it's the 24th of december and hyunwoo is awake at 1am, slowly losing hope in jooheon. he never knew love could end in such a cruel way, or maybe he's being too melodramatic. to be able to raise hyunwoo's expectations and excitement only to let it slowly crash is hard, but so far jooheon has been successful. he's laying on his couch, his body too big for comfort but he doesn't plan on moving anytime soon. so his eyes flutters shut and as he almost falls asleep, the sound of his kakaotalk alert that he wanted to hear oh-so-badly sounds. surprisingly, it's also from the one he wants to hear from oh-so-badly -- jooheon. eagerly he grabs his phone, reading the message the message that didn't take more than 3 lines. it was simply jooheon reminding him about their plan (date, in hyunwoo's words) on the 25th. hyunwoo was happy, but his message just didn't cut it for him. he prides himself as someone who doesn't easily gets ed over both emotionally and mentally, but jooheon has been stressing him out so much lately all he can do is text him a simple "why are you avoiding me a lot nowadays?". his phone goes silent for a good 30 minutes and he's already brewing with anger to the brim. he wants to shout as loud as he can and punch a wall but he has to remind himself that he's living in an apartment, and something called 'consideration' plays a huge part in his day to day life. his fingers taps loudly against the screen when he's angry and he's just about to send the message to cancel off their meeting until he receives a text from jooheon. "you'll see :)" it reads.
 
*** 
 
hyunwoo's heart is thumping against his chest, and all he can do is feel that torturous sensation. he glances at the sticky note and to the address of the cafe he's standing in front of. the cafe looks like it's closed, and the lights are off. the time on his phone reads 9pm, just as jooheon told him the other day. maybe this is the wrong place, hyunwoo wonders as he calls jooheon. jooheon picks up after a few of hyunwoo's attempts, muttering a "you're here already?". jooheon's voice teeters between excitement and anxiety. "just enter!" jooheon says before he abruptly hangs up.
hyunwoo ruffles his own hair in frustration, before combing it back in place. he remembers jooheon's specific details on the dress code; "smart and casual, just like a date, but not too grand." hyunwoo hopes the white button-up, bow tie, suspenders and trousers under his winter coat would 'pass' jooheon's specifications. he hesitates to push the door open, but he does so. there was instantly pin-drop silence in the cafe and what makes it worse is the darkness. if there's anything hyunwoo fears as a guy, it's darkness -- that's why he has a night lamp. a boy, whose body frame is no bigger than hyunwoo, wearing a blue slim-fit button-down, runs up to him eagely, which startles him a little. 

"hyunwoo, right?" the latter pants, receiving a nod from hyunwoo. "just go up the stairs at the back and enter the first door on the left." he instructs, flashing a grin at hyunwoo. "have fun!" he mutters as he pushes hyunwoo towards the stairs.

hyunwoo complies -- he's not in the position to question anything since he's technically lost and doesn't know the way back from this cafe. his steps echo through-out the seemingly deserted cafe and every step adds on to his apprehension. finally, he knocks on the door of the barely-lit hallway, clenching and unclenching his fists. the door swings open, but it's dark, too. he steps into the room, an ominious feeling swallowing his guts whole. the door swings shut with a loud 'bang' which causes hyunwoo to flinch and turn around and on cue, the lights in the room turn on, revealing a beautifully decorated interior, of pretty twinkling gold christmas lights on the windows, a large christmas tree adorned with ornaments of red and green and right by the light switch stood jooheon. 

"merry christmas!" he exclaims excitedly, running towards hyunwoo to remove his jacket. "take a seat!" he says as he drapes the older's coat over the head of the chair. 

"w-wow" hyunwoo blushes, lost for words. "so ... while you were rejecting my offers and not picking up my calls, you were planning this?" he earns a subtle chuckle from jooheon who sat opposite him, a small candle between them on the table.

"yeah ... it took me some time and a lot of work to get these decorations and the planning and everything, really" jooheon takes a huge huff of breath. 

jooheon takes out a familiar looking lunchbox, one hyunwoo recognizes from the first day of their encounter. "since the only thing i know how to make to save my is kimbap, i thought i'd make some before we go for dinner ..." jooheon's voice trails off as he starts fidgetting with his hands after puting the lunchbox down. 

hyunwoo titters, before opening the lunchbox and helping himself to a kimbap. it doesn't take long for hyunwoo to notice the uneasiness through jooheon's gestures. he tilts his head and before he can ask, jooheon breaks the silence.

"so, um you see ... i actually invited you here because i- um ... i wanted to ask you something i've wanted to a-ask for a long time and-" jooheon pauses momentarilly, cursing at himself silently for stuttering and biting his tongue around his words. he has rehearsed this countless times and he's still messing it up. he continues, "i well ... i've thought about for a long time and i can't help it but ..." he takes out a small bouquet of daisies and roses well hidden under the table. "i've liked- no, loved- you for a long time so ... will you be my boyfriend?" jooheon is blushing really hard, as both his arms are outstretched as he looks away.

hyunwoo can't lie, this state of jooheon drives him crazy and all he wants to do is just crash his lips onto the younger's but then again, self control. he laughs, reaching for the bouquet as he chuckles. he puts the bouquet aside, holding jooheon's delicate hands between his. "yes, silly. 100%" hyunwoo says with a reassuring smile. he leans over the table, planting a kiss on the younger's lips. it takes about 7 seconds for jooheon to realise what's happening and another 3 seconds for jooheon to react. jooheon tilts his head to deepen the kiss, only to pull himself away shortly after, embarrased. 

"who needs a fine dine, let's just order pizza and eat at my place, how's that?" hyunwoo beams as he holds jooheon's hands firmly. 

jooheon giggles, one in which hyunwoo can tell he's more than happy. "anything! as long as it's with you, i'm fine!"
and so the christmas night starts with something both hyunwoo and jooheon agrees to call -- a date.