Final

Venetian Masquerade

 

 

 

 

 


Suho stood at the corner of the hall with his friends. He was watching the couples dance around in the middle. Gazing at their dresses that were flowing around, their masks that covered theirs faces. He felt as if he had stepped into the Shakespearean time. He felt one with history and literature. 

"Suho, are you going to dance?" His attention shifted from the dancers to his friend Chen, with whom he came with along with his other two friends. 

"I don't think so." He saw that Chen already had a partner waiting by him. "But you guys go ahead." He smiled behind his mask as he urged them to move forward. 

"I will see you then." Chen gave a small wave and went off with his new found partner. 

"Singles union?" Luhan joked as he walked towards Suho with Kris beside him. 

"That's what it seems." He sighed. "I don't even know why I am here with you guys." Suho grinned behind his mask again. 

"Oh come on. You have been here for how long..." Kris started.

"About half an hour..." Suho answered. 

"Yes...I am sure you will find someo-" Kris stopped abruptly when a man came to his to ask for a dance. He shyly took his hands and waved a small goodbye to Luhan and Suho. 

"I know why you wanted to avoid the masquerade." Luhan spoke as he took a glass of wine from the waiters who were walking around. "It's Minho, isn't it?" Luhan spoke after a taking a sip. 

Suho just looked at the floor and fiddled with his fingers. He did not want to say anything. He did not want to feel anything. 

"Don't look so glum. I can't see your face, but I can imagine what face you are pulling. You are too pretty for that." Luhan tried to lift his spirits. "Hey, I will be back just now." He whispered before disappearing into the crowd when he saw one of his many friends. 

Suho stood alone, once again taking in the magnificent feeling of the Venetian Masquerade as that was the theme of the party tonight. He watched the faces of the masks. He could not make it whether they were happy or neutral. 

"Penny for your thoughts?"  A man beside his spoke up. He had a manly, sultry voice. And his body was proper. The tuxedo he wore looked good on his frame. And his choice of his mask suited him. 

"Umm...well.I just zoned out." He took the glass of champagne that he offered. 

"Ahh..." He took a sip. "The ballroom looks lively." He spoke while looking at the waltzing couples. 

"It does." And suddenly, He gaze fell on a man who has pressing his body tightly against another woman's. His heart cringed at that sight. It was Minho. Even with his mask on, He could tell it was him. No doubt. The pain of seeing him was too much for and He rushed out of the hall leaving the man standing next to his puzzled. 

A tear trickled behind the mask and found its way out by his chin. Their breakup was recent. He wanted to breakup with his because the spark he had died. And he just left him. He knew it was going to happen. He saw him how he lusted over other women. He saw how he would act in front other women. He saw-

"Are you okay?" His thoughts were interjected by that voice again. His mask was off and it was the first time He saw this man in his life. He had a handsome face, a very structured face. There was concerned written all over his face. 

He took of his own mask to feel the breeze on the cheeks, on his face. The tears kept flowing. He looked away to avoid the man's gaze. The worry he had seen in his eyes was getting stronger. He did not want such attention from a stranger. 

"I am fine." He whispered quietly. 

The man did not say anything, nor did he budge. 

There was stillness. 

Moments passed by.

He handed his his handkerchief and left his alone under the night sky. He watched him go. 

There was something about this man. The spark he would feel with Minho was revived again, only to be stronger and more defined now. He dried his tears with the handkerchief his gave. He noticed the man's initials engraved on it. KJ

He walked back into the ballroom and took a glass of wine. The image of his crying face was etched into his mind. It was true that he had seen his for the first time, but there was something about his that pulled him towards him. The few moments they spent simply standing next to each other, exchanging a few words was different. Igniting a form of feeling that he had never felt before. 

When he saw his lone figure in the ballroom alone watching the crowd of dancing couples, there something about his that made me want to walk up to his and know her.

"Excuse me." He turned to see the same man he left outside. "I am sorry about that. Thanks for this." He quietly whispered and returned his handkerchief back to him. 

"It's no problem." He smiled behind his mask. He glanced at the man again, and saw he was just watching the crowds again. "Would you care for a dance?" He asked, giving out his hand to him. He didn't answer but gave a slight nod. 

He still could not a figure out what he was feeling with this stranger. Who was he? What was he doing to him? Why was he feeling like this? Thousands of questions were clouding his mind as He felt his hand pulled his closer towards him. If it was not for the mask, this stranger would have seen a blushing man, embarrassing himself completely. 

He liked how his hand fit perfectly on his back. He liked how he fit perfectly with him. He being with him felt so perfect, so normal. He had danced with many women and men in his life, but none felt so beautifully tuned with him. 

The music was soothing his nerves and He felt herself leaning towards the masked man. He wanted to see his face. He wanted to feel it. He wanted to kis-

"Suho." He turned around when he heard his name. "I am so sorry. Something happened." He immediately let go the man's hand and detached herself from him, following Luhan who was running outside. 

Suho.

The man repeated that name to himself. 

Suho followed Luhan outside only to find a sick looking Kris who wanted to go home. 

"Did you drink too much? Was it something you ate?" Chen asked Kris. 

"Let's just go home." Suho suggested as all them were helping Kris get up and walked to the car. 

Far a little distance, the man was watching the man with his friends. His heart hurt. He probably would never get to see his again. He would never know him. He would never know him. 

Suho.

 

 

 

"I am so sorry to interrupt your dance." Luhan looked at Suho apologetically. 

"No no. It's fine. This is definitely more important." Kris was sleeping on his bed after taking a few pills. The three were sitting by his bed watching Kris with concern. It turned out that he ate something that had peanuts. Kris was slightly allergic to them, and since the allergy was not life threatening. 

Suho sighed and looked down. 

The man he met was probably long gone. He would never be able to find him now. It hurt him. 

"So were you dancing with?" Chen asked. 

"I....I don't know." He whispered looking at both of them, meeting their confused gazed. 

"So you were dancing with a stranger?" Luhan asked worriedly. Suho gave a small nod. 

"There is something more, right?" Chen was studying Suho. He noticed Suho's eyes widen. He noticed his slight color changes on his cheeks. He noticed how his eyes were now downcast. 

"I...I think I like him." His voice was so low, it was barely audible. But his two friends had heard what he said clearly. And it hurt his friends even more than it hurt Suho. Suho was going through a depressed phase because of Minho. Now that he thought he found someone they snatched his away from him, discontinuing further contact. 

"I am so sorry Suho." Luhan moved closer and gave his a hug. "I am so sorry I pulled you away." Suho did not say anything. He felt Chen shift in closer joining their hug. 

 

 

 

Suho was back at work after the weekend. The images of the man still never her. He would often find himself thinking about him at the most oddest of times. Like now. 

"Mr. Kim Joonmyeon. Please come in my office." The director called him. He was the secretary of a director of a well-established business. 

He straighten his shirt, took the necessary items that he would need and walked into his office. He noticed there was a man already sitting in the office. Taking little notice, He sat down at his seat, paying no attention to the person sitting next to him.

"Yes, Mr. Kim Joonmyeon. I am sure you must be aware that we are signing a deal with Kim Enterprises." He nodded slightly. "Well this is Mr. Kim Jongin, the director of Kim Enterprises." He turned to greet the man, but instead he saw the man he meet at the masquerade smiling warmly at him. 

 

 

 

Kim Jongin

He repeated it in his head. 

 

 

 

Suho.

He repeated it in his head.