--MARKDY

the ineffable christmas

Kylie Minogue - Santa Baby


Christmas this year had been a little different for Wendy. While she would have usually spent it with her best friend Jackson, this year has her spending her time with a special someone else.

He was a little moody, that she knew as much when he was under extreme stress.

He could also be very playful, that she learned as much when he tried to relieve his stress.

Today, however, Mark was nowhere to be found.

Wendy sulked around the big penthouse, bored from having to wait for Mark to finish his work. While he promised to spend Christmas together, he had also apologetically insisted that there were important paperwork to be done that needed to be handed in after Christmas.

And that was how Wendy found herself sitting in his large sofa, her eyes glued to the television before her. The channel was switched on to MTV and Wendy couldn’t remember how many times it has been since she heard Mariah’s Carey version of All I Want For Christmas Is You.

It got to a point where the song was beginning to bug her.

Were there any other songs other than this one, overplayed Christmas hit?

As though her wishes were answered by Santa, the next song that was played had been Kylie Minogue’s version of Santa Baby.

Wendy remembered growing up with this particular track during Christmas, but she didn’t recalled for the track to be so… sultry.

After hearing the lyrics to the song carefully, a little idea popped into her head as Wendy concocted a way to prank the very busy Mr. Tuan.

Another half an hour had passed by when Mark started strolling into the living room. Much to his surprise – or confusion – he found Wendy flat on her stomach on his couch, her legs swinging lightly with a non-existent rhythm.

The girl was cupping her own face for support, and Mark seriously wondered if there had been something wrong with her. Upon coming closer, he had cursed himself; Wendy’s eyes seemed to be sparkling like when he first had met her.

This was definitely not good news.

“Wendy?” He approached her cautiously, seeing how her eyes never once left his figure. “Are you okay?”

“Never better!” She answered in a sickly sweet voice that Mark felt was being forced about. “But I was a little lonely.”

“Oh, sorry.” He scratched his head sheepishly, relieved to know that Wendy was just bored after all. “I’m done now, so we’ll be able to spend the rest of the night together.”

“That’s not good enough.”

Wendy pouted as she continued to sit up straight. Her hands motioned for the man to come over and he then took a seat right beside her.

“You made me wait for a really long time.” Her voice seemed to nauseate him. “The least you can do is to grant my Christmas wishes.”

“Anything for you, Wendy.” There was no hesitation in his voice. “What do you want?”

“I want a 54’ Convertible.” She answered. “Light blue.”

“Uh, sure? Anything else?”

“A yacht.”

“That’s neat.” Mark began to take out his phone to record her wishes. “I guess we could go on a short getaway with the yacht.”

Wendy tried to stifle in a sigh as she continued about her prank.

“A deed to a platinum mine sounds great as well.”

“Difficult to find, but anything for you, my lovely.”

She rolled her eyes as Mark continued to take down her wishes seriously into his phone. Wendy guessed that the man hadn’t caught on and had thought of her to be serious when she was really joking in the first place.

It seems as though Mark hadn’t grew up on listening to Santa Baby, that she caught at least.

She wondered if the reason Mark was taking her seriously was because he actually had the money to buy all the useless things she had mentioned to him just now.

I guess rich people think differently.

“Anything else, Wendy?” Mark looked up to her eagerly and this time Wendy didn’t bother to mask her frustration.

“I don’t know.” She answered sarcastically, realising that her own prank had backfired on her. “How about a ring from Tiffany’s?”

“I can order 10 if you want to.” He answered in a heartbeat while Wendy only looked on in horror.

“It was a joke!” The girl finally exploded. “I was just joking! Seriously!”

She noticed his lips were slightly tugged upwards but the man quickly bring about his poker face again. It was at that moment that Wendy realised that she too was being pranked by Mark.

“You knew!” She glared at him accusingly. “Since when?”

“I could hear you singing along to the song, Wendy.” Mark chuckled. “I’m not that stupid.”

“You… And you still played along. Why?”

“Wouldn’t want your plans to go wasted.”

“Seriously?!”

“But in all seriousness,” The man grabbed onto her hands tightly. “I’m sorry.”

“H-Huh?”

Was Mark really saying sorry to her for not spending their special Christmas time together?

“I don’t know any platinum mines.”

“M-Mark!”

The man laughed loudly and pulled the girl closer to him. Wendy then realised she was lying on top of him, and instead of protesting like she usually does, the girl decided to lay her head against his chest for once.

She could hear the quick beating of his heart and found that he was staring intensely right at her when she tried to peek into his face. Embarrassed, she placed her head down onto his chest again and she felt how comfortable it was that he was her hair.

“I’m sorry.” Wendy heard him speak again. “I’ll promise never to bring work home anymore, especially during holidays like this one.”

“I’m glad that you know.” She teased and she felt her body being moved to sit right onto his lap.

The girl gulped from the sudden close contact, noting that Mark’s eyes were now tinged with a slight hint of amusement. She felt her face flush and before she could look away, Mark’s fingers had found its’ way across her cheeks.

She winced at his soft touch and before she could blush any further, she felt the man pull at her cheeks, leaving her in pain.

“Owww!” Wendy cried out. “That’s painful! Why did you do that for?!”

“That’s for not being honest with me.” Mark chided her. “And trying to be sultry when you’re not.”

“Y-You… There was no need for the insults!”

“It’s not an insult. It’s the truth. You can never be sultry.”

“Of course I can!”

“Never.” The man shook his head decisively. “You’re only y and cute, nothing more, nothing less.”

He then continued. “And beautiful, of course. Very, very beautiful.”

“Mark…”

“Merry Christmas, Wendy.” Mark softly kissed her forehead. “I’ll be granting your wish now so don’t you dare complain.”

“I haven’t even made any wish yet.” Wendy tilted her head in confusion.

“Of course, you did. Isn’t your Christmas wish wanting to spend time with me?”

“How did you-”

“I’m Santa, remember?” The man joked. “And I also happen to be your baby, right?”

Wendy shook her head at the ridiculousness but continued to play along with him.

“Right. So tell me, Santa baby, will you grant me my wish?”

“All night long, Wendy.” Mark winked and Wendy felt her face turned red with embarrassment again.

“Y-You…”

“Merry Christmas.” He kissed her again, though this time it was on her lips. “I love you so much and I’ll love you for more Christmases to come.”

“Merry Christmas.” Wendy grinned before placing her lips onto his again to show just how much she loved him too.