Ch.2

Masked Perfection

 

France

“Mr. Thompson, your grandmother is on the line,” he stopped typing.

“Connect her to me,” he replied shortly. Soon after, his grandmother was on the line.

“Pierre, I believe you have another day to think,” she said, not bothering to greet him. It had been two days since she proposed the marriage to him.

Truthfully, he had not bothered to read the document given by her grandmother.

So far, he only knew that the girl was a Walton - a name that has a deep root in the financial world. Associating with the Walton family would strengthen their company.

The stock price would go up to at least 50% if he announced an engagement with that girl despite her being an adopted child.

“I’m aware of that,” he replied shortly.

“Then, I expect you to see me tomorrow. Be sure to make the right choice,” she added before hanging up.

Right choice.

He knew from the start, the right choice would be to marry her. Honestly, he had no interest in being in a relationship, let alone marries someone.

He had had enough when he saw his ex-girlfriend cheated with his cousin 3 years ago. Ex-girlfriend. He felt disgusted to even acknowledge her as his girlfriend.

His eyes suddenly fell on the black document at the far side of his table. He had brought along that document with others this morning.

Reaching out his hand, he took a deep breath and took the document.

‘Let’s see what’s so great about this Roselyn girl’ he thought as he flipped it open.

He took the next 10 minutes to read about her, her career and everything. By the time he finished, he threw the document on the table, it was clear that he wasn’t impressed at all.

First of all, she’s too plain for his taste. Her picture does not have even a hint of attractiveness. She looked ridiculously childish, almost like a country bumpkin with the dress and messy hair.

“Tch, did they just pick anyone to be a singer there?” He mumbled to himself. She probably used her family’s connection to be one.

Second, she’s a singer and that’s another minus. He hated to be involved with anyone from entertainment industry. His encounters with the singers, models and actresses before proved that most of them were not that smart.

They were only after his face, fame or wealth. Who wouldn’t want a handsome, rich and famous guy for a husband?

He bet this Roselyn girl had planned everything with her family.

------------

Korea

“I can’t help you,” he threw the letter on the table. He glanced at her up and down.

“The company had spent millions on you and you want to quit? Aren’t you being too ungrateful?” he said, voice seething with sarcasm. The guy raised an eyebrow waiting for her answer.

“The company won’t be making much by releasing my album. It’s a deficit on your side either way,” she replied, voice void of any emotion. She knew from the start that this is not going to be easy. He was silent for a quite sometimes, rubbing his chin up and down. He had already considered this since he received the letter a few days ago.

“Alright. We can do this but give all the copyrights of your songs to SM,” he paused, “including the ones that haven’t been released.” He finished with finality.

She wasn’t surprised by this kind of demand. Her other colleagues had had worse. Thinking for a while, she decided to just go with the suggestion.

It pained her though. The songs were really precious to her. They were like her children. She had planned to include those in her album if she ever got a chance.

Now, it looks like she’ll never get the chance to do that. She’ll leave all these behind. When she goes back to France, she’ll no longer be a Zhang Liyin. She’ll once again be a Walton.

“Will I be free then?” she asked.

He nodded, “of course,” his left hand now was playing with the pen waiting for her response.

“Alright... I’ll give them all. Except for one, I wish to keep ‘Like Stars’. Parts of the lyrics were a gift from my fans,” she softly replied with a hint of firmness.

“I suppose we could do that. I’ll prepare the agreement. In two weeks, come and sign it,” he rubbed his chin, “till then, you still need to come and teach the trainees,” he glanced at her.

“Okay. Thank you Mr. Park,” she politely bowed and left.

After the short meeting, Liyin decided to head to her friend’s photo studio. She had spent too much time in the company that she hadn’t had the time to meet her friends lately.

She got off the cab at a café near her friend’s the studio. She wanted to get coffee and some pastry. The meeting with Mr. Park made her feel strangely hungry.

For several months she had watched over her diet in case there was a need for her to perform. SM had always made do random events especially when it involves the other singers’ concerts from SM. She would become the special guest usually to sing 2 songs in the middle of the concerts.

It wasn’t that bad. At least she could still meet her fans.

“Welcome!” The worker greeted her the moment she stepped in. There were only 3 customers around. Liyin ordered a caramel macchiato and went to choose the pastry on display.

immediately water at the sight of croissant. Grabbing the tray, she engrossed herself in choosing the pastry.

The ring chimed again indicating another customer entering the café. “Welcome!” The worker greeted the new customer.

“Can I have 3 iced Americano please? Make it fast,” Liyin froze at the voice. A voice she had known long before.

“Omo! Yes. Sure. Wait for a moment please,” the girl at the counter seemed to recognize him. Unlike her, people recognize him even in his disguise. He nodded and looked around, hands in his pockets.

There were only four customers in the café. He noticed one girl near the displayed pastry choosing the bread. Her silhouette was very familiar but he decided to brush it off.

He was about to ignore everything and took a seat when he noticed the girl’s bag hanging on her back. Her phone was about to fall off from the ped part of the bag.

So, instead of walking to the table, he walked to her, “Excuse me miss, your bag is ped,” Liyin flinched. She was hoping that he wouldn’t notice her.

‘Damn it. I’ll never wear a backpack again’. Liyin took a deep breath and turned.

“Oh, Junsu-sshi, annyeoghaseyo,” she tried to look a little bit surprised upon making eye contact. Junsu on the other hand, was very surprised at the encounter.

5 years. They hadn’t seen each other for 5 years.

Sensing the lingering awkwardness, she immediately smiled.

“It’s nice meeting you, Junsu-sshi. Have you been well?” she immediately put the distance by speaking formally and of course he wasn’t stupid. He knew it the moment she said ‘Hello’ with the fake surprised reaction.

She was emphasizing that they were just acquaintances.

“Ah, yes. I’ve been well. How about you?” he smiled, returning the question.

“I’ve been well, thank you,” Liyin cheered in her head when she heard the worker announced her finished caramel macchiato.

“Nice meeting you here, Junsu-sshi,” she smiled, bowed her head a little and went to the counter to pay for the pastry and her drink.

Junsu stared at her as she walked to the counter, and paid. When she finished, she turned to him one more time and smiled before bowing and walked to the door to leave.

It was then he noticed that her bag was still ped.  Without thinking much, he followed her out of the café.

“Liyin-sshi!” Liyin stopped and turned. She was already a little bit far. It’s obvious that she was trying to get away from that place as quickly as possible.

Junsu took big strides towards her and stopped at a safe distance in order not to heighten the uneasiness.

He was glad to see her again. Her, not so.

 “Yes. What is it Junsu-sshi?” she inquired with a smile that didn’t reach her eyes.

“Your bag is ped,” he replied motioning the backpack.

“Oh,” that was her only reply. She removed one strap and zipped the opened part.

“Thank you,” she smiled and bowed, “Annyeongkaseyo,”

“It’s nice meeting you too,” he quickly said with a smile, a genuine smile. The smile that once made her faltered.

Liyin stared for one second, face void with any expression. She replied with a soft ‘yes’ and turned to walk away.
This time, it was Junsu’s turn to stare. And he stared with a heavy heart.

----------------

As Liyin turned to walk away, she let out the breath that she had been holding very slowly. Her vision turned blurry by the newly formed tears. She kept her head up and looked straight ahead though.

She refused to wipe the tears that slowly fell down. As if she would be a total loser once she acknowledges the tears. She was lucky that not many people walked around.

It was strangely quiet and all she could hear is. ‘It’s nice meeting you too’. It kept on echoing in her ears.

Liyin continued to walk and walk until she reached her friend’s photo studio. It was only then her legs lost the strength. And she flopped down on the bench in front of the shop.

The tears that almost ceased before regained a new force. Everything rushed through her memories. Her heart felt like bursting and the tears flowed down uncontrollably.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Zhang Liyin,” she introduced herself in Korean. Liyin felt nervous. It was the first time she stood face to face with a senior singer, a very popular singer.

“Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Kim Junsu. Call me Junsu Oppa,” he grinned as he held a hand out for a handshake.

Liyin nervously took it and shook his hand. Her face heated up and she was all bashful.

“So I guess we’ll be seeing each other every day from now Liyin-ah. Nice meeting you,” he gently patted her shoulder.

 

“Liyin? Liyin-ah! What’s wrong? What happened?” her friend who just came out of the shop saw her and immediately went to hug her. She was crying silently before but as her friend hugged her, she began to sob.

“Sujin-ah, it hurts,” Liyin said in between the sobs.

“Where are you hurt? Hmm? Tell me…” she said softly as she patted her back.

“5 years…” sob “..5 years” sob “… It still hurts…” Sujin froze. She knew what Liyin is talking about though she didn’t know what made her become like this.

Liyin never talk about that. Not after what happened 5 years ago.

“It’s okay. Let it go.. Just let it go Liyin-ah,”