The king

Empress Hyun: The Twelfth Concubine
Please log in to read the full chapter

Let me apologies first for the weird format this will be. This is written on my iPad because i'm too lazy to get my lappie. Anyway, this sequel has been postponed too many times to be acceptable so here goes nothing. A secret, this story was actually finished long ago, it just took me awhile to rewrote it. This time, I'm writing from sunggyu's side, how it looked like to him. Have fun. 

A slight breeze ruffled the berries bushes, yellowing at the first touch of autumn. King sunggyu stared absentmindedly at the bushes, sipping from his cup of tea. Hoya stood in attention nearby, his eyes roamed around at the first sign of danger. Of course it was rarely necessary for hoya to act as king sunggyu spend most of his time in the inner palace but hoya is not one to abandon his work. Even being the only one guarding the king is taking the toll on his nerves, he believes the king needs an entire army at all time, but the king always ignored his suggestion.

The berries bushes ruffled again, this time slightly harsher and a shadow loomed behind it. King sunggyu only managed to widen his eyes in shock before hoya jumping in front of him, his sword drawn out. 

"Who are you?!! Come out and declare yourself before i take your head off!" 

Myungsoo abashedly stepped out from the bushes with a sheepish smile, his hands in the air. Faster than anyone could noticed, hoya was on his knee, looking every picture of remorse.

"I apologise for my insolent behaviour, your highness. It was uncalled of me to point a sword at the royal family. Please punish..." Myungsoo waved off hoya's apologies and picked up his sword. He pointed the sword at hoya's neck, his chin held high.

"Your highness..."

"This is a very good sword." He smiled and patted hoya's shoulder as he placed the sword next to him.

"Thank you for taking care of my brother. It must have been hard on you." Hoya scrambled to thank him but myungsoo simply waved him off and went to sat in front of king sunggyu.

"Hyung~"

"Don't hyung me. You're late." Myungsoo smiled his standard i-know-you're-not-mad smile and placed the bundle he carried around from the east palace.

"All for the good cause, hyung."

"Did everything goes to plan?" King sunggyu was about to sip his tea but myungsoo snatched the cup and emptied it in one sip.

"The east palace is really far away. I'm so tired."

"Myung..." King sunggyu glared as his younger brother leaned forward, smiling teasingly.

"'You're the best brother ever.' Say it, hyung."

"Why should i?"

"I'm going back~" myungsoo only pretended to get up but king sunggyu hastily grabbed his hand and looked away.

"You're the best brother ever." He mumbled through clenched teeth.

"What is that? I can't hear you?"

"You're the best brother ever!" King sunggyu was all but screamed at his younger brother, causing hoya to jump from his spot. Hoya rubbed his face annoyingly, he's going to die from watching over this two royal siblings.

"Good, good." Myungsoo sat back and poured another cup, sipping it leisurely simply to annoy his older brother.

"Tell me, myung. Did he take the bait?" King sunggyu leaned eagerly, causing myungsoo to smile. Who knows the tough king has this cute side to him.

"Yes. He believed everything. He didn't even question why sungyeol was suggesting such a weird thing to him. Nor that either sungyeol is smart enough to suggest such things."

"You just basically said your lover is an idiot." King sunggyu grimaced as he poured another cup for himself.

"At least i have a lover hyung." Sunggyu almost smacked myungsoo across the head at that but the younger prince dodged him first.

"I can't believe you talked me into this...I won't be able to see woohyun for months." King sunggyu was all sulkily as he remembered their conversation from last month. As always, king sunggyu always pretended that the queen selection was not happening and he absolutely is not in love with woohyun. After twelve years of watching his brother lying to himself, myungsoo playfully suggested that they make woohyun joins the queen selection. King sunggyu was aghast at the suggestion at first but the more they talked about it, the more it seemed plausible than sleeping with woohyun in secret. Knowing that neither of them could talk to woohyun about it without jeopardising their plan, myungsoo took it into himself to influence sungyeol to suggest it to woohyun. The innocent sungyeol believed it was all his idea and not myungsoo.

"Believe me hyung. Everything is going to be fine." King sunggyu only shook his head at that, the game had only begun.


"I feel sick." King sunggyu said for the thousandth times that day, drilling the words into hoya's mind. Before he could say it one more time, healer jang crashed into the royal chamber, his robe all over the place.

"Your majesty. I'm sorry, i was late."

"Healer jang, i feel sick." Hoya swallowed back the temptation to bang his head on the wall as he heard the three words again when healer jang moved to check the ailing king. He frowned as he hold the king's wrist, scrunching up his face before exchanging a knowing look with hoya. He simply confirmed hoya's suspicions, the king was not actually sick, he was only missing a certain someone that had been working elsewhere for the past month. Of course he couldn't just come out and say the king was love sick so he pretended to scrambled inside his bag that he carried everywhere.

"Your majesty, you're j just too tired. I suggest you take some rest. I'll send some prescription to the household for a tincture." Healer jang said all that in one breath, all the time avoiding eye contact. He's a bad liar, his face tells everything whether he wanted it or not. 

"Healer jang..." Healer jang dropped to his knees, shaking at king sunggyu's voice.

"Y y your majesty..."

"How is the queen selection progressing?" King sunggyu tried to act nonchalant about his question but he could felt hoya's judging stares from across the room. As a rule, king sunggyu never paid attention to the selection.

"The the queen selection...yes. Everything is fine. Eunuch nam did a good job on it. Even to the point of joining it to make everything was going smoothly." King sunggyu almost choked at the healer's words. Even this innocent healer can see under woohyun's disguise!

"Oh. He did, didn't he. So how was he?" Hoya's face was red from trying not to laugh as king sunggyu acted like he didn't care about it.

"How was he... I presume you're asking about his health. He's a healthy young man, your majesty, very healthy...." Healer jang trailed off at the end, his face scrunched up in confusion. King sunggyu didn't missed his hesitation at the last word.

"Anything wrong, healer j

Please log in to read the full chapter