Chapter 16

Meant To Be

A few months later

Jonghyun and Kibum are relaxing on the couch, Kibum's legs resting over Jonghyun's lap with Jonghyun lightly caressing them. Kibum is reading a magazine while Jonghyun watches TV, they're just enjoying spending time together when Jonghyun asks if Kibum is free this Saturday. Kibum glances over and says that he probably has plans with his boyfriend with a cute smirk on his face. Jonghyun happily tells Kibum that it's time for the yearly family picture. Kibum doesn't think much into it, still reading his magazine and ask Jonghyun “and you want me to come with?”. Jonghyun responds with a quick ah huh noticing Kibum isn't really getting what he's asking, he quickly adds that Kibum should wear something nice before looking back to the TV to flip the channels, waiting for Kibum to catch on. It doesn't take long before Kibum nervously responds reluctantly, telling Jonghyun it's too soon for him to be in their family photo. What if they break up, then he'll be stuck with a family picture with his horrible ex-boyfriend in it. Jonghyun simply laughs and responds that he'll just have him photo-shopped out if that happens. Kibum is stunned and throws the couch pillow at Jonghyun's smirking face retorting that he'll photoshop Jonghyun off of the couch, playfully pushing him over the edge with Jonghyun laughing back at him from the floor.

 

Saturday comes and the four are at the photographer's studio getting ready. Jonghyun and Kibum are in the large dressing room getting ready. Really Jonghyun is ready, has been for a while but Kibum is fidgeting with any part of his suit he can while standing in front of the mirror. Kibum is mumbling about every part of his outfit he doesn't like, being a bit over critical. Jonghyun gives him a back hug, being careful not to mess up Kibum's clothes and whispers in his ear that he looks amazing. Kibum thanks Jonghyun for the compliment but goes on fidgeting with his clothes lamenting that he shouldn't be here for this, it's too soon. Jonghyun turns Kibum around to look directly at him and tells him again that he really wants him here, to be a part of this. Kibum nods, but immediately goes back to whining about how awful he looks. Jonghyun giggles at how cute the whining is and looks him over, but instead of reassuring him this time he agrees that something does looks quite right. Kibum immediately turns back to the mirror to see what it could be, he remarks about wrinkles in his pants and the shirt collar that looks un-even. He turns around to ask Jonghyun what it is to see Jonghyun down on one knee looking up at him with a huge grin on his face and a little black box in his hand.

 

Kibum is stunned silent at the sight.

 

Jonghyun: “Before I met you, if someone had asked me if soul mates existed, I probably would've laughed at the thought. The idea that two people could be meant to be together seemed unimaginable. I know better now. You are my soul mate, I have no doubts in my mind. You and I are meant to be together, we always have been. I know I took a while, I made you wait for me and I'm forever grateful for your patience. I know you will think this is too soon, but I think you've waited long enough. Kim Kibum, will you marry me?”

 

By the time Jonghyun is done speaking, Kibum is a mess of tears. He doesn't hesitate to answer yes multiple times, quickly pulling Jonghyun up and tightly wrapping his arms around him, to hell with creases. It doesn't take long for Jonghyun to start crying as well, he's actually quite surprised he was able to get his proposal out without crying first. After the tears subside, Kibum pulls Jonghyun into a long and deep kiss.

 

The happy couple seem lost in each other's arms, forgetting the photographer and kids waiting outside for them. It took a few annoyed whinings from the other room to snap them back to reality. They laughed at the kids calling for them to hurry up. Jonghyun shouted back that they needed a few more minutes. Kibum smiled, wiping his happy tears away and asked if the kids knew. Jonghyun nodded, smiled and explained that they helped him pick out the rings, but they didn't know when it was going to happen. Jonghyun slowly pulled back to open the little black box to show Kibum the matching rings. There were two silver bands, each with four small aquamarine stones. Jonghyun grabbed the one for Kibum out, explaining that Ji Min picked the stone saying it was the prettiest color, her words to be exact was “prettier than boring, everyday diamonds.” Kibum giggled as Jonghyun placed the beautiful ring on his finger, holding his hand gently. Jonghyun continued explaining that Min Jae helped to decide that four stones was the perfect number to have. Kibum asked why four, Jonghyun smiled and said that it was to represent the new family that they would create together, one gemstone for each of them. Kibum smiled remarking that it sounded a bit too romantic coming from Min Jae. Jonghyun laughed and confessed that it was Min Jae's idea but Jonghyun added his own romantic twist to it. Kibum took the other ring from the box, smiling as he placed it on Jonghyun's finger, admiring how really perfect the rings were for them.

 

Just then the photographer interrupted saying that he had another appointment soon. They quickly looked at the mirror to make sure they looked presentable, there was a little redness in their eyes from their tears but not much they could do about that. They quickly made way to the kids and stood where the photographer told them to. He took several pictures, adjusting their positions a little between each one. When they were done the kids rushed over to the photographer's computer screen as they usually did to help pick out the best one. They quickly spotted the perfect one where everyone's eyes open and smiles perfect. It was Ji Min who was the first to notice a blue-ish sparkle that showed up in a couple pictures. She was confused at first but then realized what it was, running to Kibum to grab his hand to see the pretty ring she helped pick out. She squealed with excitement asking when it happened. Jonghyun responded that it was about 10 minutes ago. Min Jae offered his congratulations and poked his dad's shoulder complaining that he's surprised at how long it took him. Jonghyun poked him back exclaiming that it took as long as it needed. Min Jae rolled his eyes at his father's typical childish response.

 

To celebrate, Jonghyun took his new fiance and happy children to one of their favorite restaurants. They spent the evening laughing and discussing wedding plans. Ji Min of course wanted everything to be big, colorful and fancy, pretty much every idea she had seen on TV she suggested. Min Jae was not really into the whole wedding thing and suggested they should think smaller.