Nightmares

Nightmares - Optional Bias

The time ticked by slowly, rain carefully fell on the outside of the car windows as you and your boyfriend were in the back seat, the two of you cuddled up. The windows were slightly foggy as your boyfriend carefully arranged the newly gifted blanket over your form. Shifting your weight slightly, you relaxed against his body as the thumping of his heart was slightly felt through his chest. Slowly wrapping his strong, secure arms around you, his thumb brushed up and down your arm slowly as he gently rocked you from side to side. His head rested on yours as your eyes sleepily closed and you drifted to sleep.

Scenes flashed violently before your eyes, not even making sense of them all before they passed by. Flashes from your past, from your fears and potential situations filled your mind as your heart began beating faster, your grip tightening on whatever was holding you. The images got stronger and more intense as you couldn’t help but whimper slightly, feeling your once relaxed muscles tense while adrenaline started to be released into your blood stream.

A distant hum sounded after your soft hum as your legs slightly moved, wanting to get away from the danger. Feeling the weight being lifted off of your head, you felt the arms that encased you slowly tighten as your breathing became more rapid. Whimpering a little more, your brow furrowed together in confusion and pain of past memories as the arms slowly adjusted you against the warm body.

Your breathing increased more and more, the strong hands comfortingly rubbed your skin as you slightly fought against the restraints. Settling down a moment or two later, your eyes thankfully opened as you looked around frightened. Your body slowly started to return to its normal state as fingers brushed against your arm slowly. Keeping your head against his chest, you heard his heart beat just as quickly as yours.

“Are you okay?” He questioned softly, your gaze staying straight at the slightly foggy windows.

“Was it a bad dream?” He whispered softly, not being able to speak, you just nodded as he pulled the blanket up on you a little more before kissing your head.

“Everything is okay” He whispered time and time again, as you adjusted in his arms. Nodding your head softly, you closed your eyes and taking in his scent before some tears slowly slid down your cheeks.

Holding you close to his body, he made sure to take care of your every need, wanting to protect you from all of your nightmares. However, you were just thankful to wake up in such loving company and those secure and strong arms making you feel safe and loved.