The Coffee Fiend

Coffee Grounding

“Just try it.”

“No.”

“Just a little bit.”

“No.”

“Please?”

“No, get that away from me Lu.” Minseok pushed the male’s hand away, turning down the freshly brewed coffee.

The members had been waiting for their manager to call them for new hair and makeup; it was just them two with Sehun and Kris, engulfed in their phones, in the hallway.

“You need it, we’ve been on schedule all day and you look like you’re about to keel over. Please just drink the damn thing.”

“No. I’d rather pass out than drink that unholy poison.”

“Fine. See if I care.” Luhan shrugged with a smug look on his face, not caring if the later would regret the decision or not.

Luhan took the cup and began to sip its contents. “Mmm. Sooooo good.” He teased.

Minseok rolled his eyes and went back to surfing Naver on his phone.

“Oh yeah,” Luhan moaned as he drank down the sultry and warm substance.

Minseok froze and his eyes widened at the sound.

“Ungh.. Yeah that’s so good.” He said a little sultrier this time, using a huskier and manlier voice.

“What the Lu.”

“Oh it’s too bad, you could be getting in on this good stuff.” Luhan let a small moan slip through his lips after taking one last sip.

“Give me that.” Minseok reached over from his seat and yanked the coffee out of the male’s hand.

Luhan just watched with a smug smile as Minseok brought the drink cryptically to his lips.

He took a small sip, tasting it rather loudly afterwards.

“See, this tastes so—” Before Minseok could even offer his opinion he brought the drink to his face and started to gulp the damn thing.

The rich thickness of the cream and the coffee seemed almost a sin. It was bitter in all the right places, sweet on all the right curves. That velvet smoothness flowing gently down his throat felt like the stinging warmth of a bittersweet love.

It was so addictive.

∾∾∾

“Hi.” Minseok said in his shades and baseball cap to the barista.

“Hi, what can I get for ya?” The cashier said in a weird chipper voice, it seemed too early to be that happy.

“Uh..” Minseok was already really embarrassed walking into the coffee shop on his own, he barely made an effort to look at the order menu above. “D-Do you do a thing where you like, have.. Half coffee and half cream? You know and the cream is all thick and warm.” Minseok tried describing the drink he took from Luhan a couple days ago without sounding like too much of a .

“Yeah, uh-huh. One cappuccino.” The cashier leaned over his shoulder to call the order out to the other baristas.

“Oh, haha. Yeah.” Minseok laughed awkwardly.

He stood there for a moment, awkwardly leaning on his left leg as he waited for the next step.

The cashier looked at Minseok with a raised brow, “Would you like anything else?” He said with a rather denigrating tone.

“Oh! Um no that’s alright.” Minseok’s cheeks turned bright red as the cashier made him pay and show him the pickup station.

After waiting for a good long moment, the barista placed a cup on top of the counter, yet not calling anyone to grab it. Minseok looked around noticing that he was the only one there and grabbed the cup.

“! That’s hot, that’s really really hot.” He yelped as he dropped the cup of coffee all over the counter.

“You’re supposed to wait for the sleeve.” Said the barista as she stared at Minseok with one of the most judgmental looks ever.

“Oh, yeah. Right.”

“One cappuccino coming back up.”

∾∾∾

“Okay I bought four flavors. You have to figure out each of their flavors and how they’re made.” Luhan said as he sat comfortably at their kitchen table.

“Is this a joke? Come on you know I don’t drink enough to know what they are.” Minseok said, trying to sound humble.

“I think we both know that answer to that.” Luhan grimaced and took his phone out. “Alright, you have one minute to get them all right.”

“You’re nuts—”

“Go.” Luhan clicked the timer and smirked at the male across from him.

Minseok wasted no time and picked up the first of four coffee drinks in front of him.

“Caramel macchiato. Steamed skim milk, English espresso.” He slammed the first cup down, having drank it all. “Americano, steamed soy milk, no sugar.” He slammed an empty second cup down, getting feistier with each drink. “Café mocha with steamed whole milk. Chocolate syrup and chocolate shavings.” He slammed the third cup down with an extra fist bump on the table. His voice rose with aggressive enthusiasm.

“What the is going on in there?” Kris asked as he walked by the kitchen entrance, watching Minseok chug the coffee’s down and scream out his answers.

“Don’t ask.” Kyungsoo grumbled from the couch where he was on his phone.

Kris shook his head as he walked away, eating the cup of pudding he had been munching on before.

“Café breva! Frothed cream and two shots of espresso!” Minseok slammed the last cup down and jumped out of his seat as he cheered.

Luhan paused the timer and jumped out of his seat, too, aggressively cheering with Minseok.

“All under a minute! And ten seconds to spare!” Luhan hugged Minseok as the two jumped.

“YES! HAHAHAHAHA, YESSSSSS.” Minseok squeezed Luhan’s head in between his arm and chest, putting him in an intense headlock.

“Okay. Uh, okay Min. You uh. You can, ow!” Luhan tried to pry himself out of Minseok’s grip, only to be squeezed slightly harder.

“Hahaha, oh sorry. Got a little carried away.” Minseok let go, his cheeks burning bright red.

“Heh, it’s fine.” Luhan stood up straight and smoothed over his hair. “Just don’t do it again.”

“Right.”

∾∾∾

Maybe trying Luhan’s coffee over a month ago wasn’t such a good idea. Minseok was going overboard. Now he was at a point where he could take espresso in shots.

“Three espresso shots please.” Minseok asked at the cashier as a new nervous habit kicked in; he was shifting his weight between legs very fast.

“Uh, sir, I’m not sure that’s really healthy—”

“Just get me three shots!” Minseok said a little loudly and aggressively behind his sunglasses and baseball cap.

The cashier simply complied.

When the miniature mugs of espresso were placed on the counter Minseok took them down—one by one—like shots of alcohol. Letting out that extra grumble of breath on the last one.

“That’s the good stuff.” Minseok said maliciously under his breath.

Everyone in the shop stared at the male with questioning eyes and judgmental faces. Minseok gave no care to them as he walked through the shop and out the entrance.

“You know what.” He stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. “I can’t be buying this stuff all the time. I need to buy myself an espresso and coffee maker.”

∾∾∾

“What the…” Chanyeol said as he walked into the apartment. Most of the members had come back from their separate scheduling.

“What is all this?” Sehun said after walking in behind Chanyeol. The sound of Christmas music playing loudly in the background.

On the ground had been the remnants of foam peanuts; as if packaging had just been opened up and exploded all over the dorm.

“Hey, who’s home?” Chanyeol called out as he walked into the dorm.

No answer came from anyone, but most of the doors to the bedrooms had been closed.

Chanyeol, Sehun, Kyungsoo, Luhan, Kris and Jongin had all walked into the house, following the trail of foam peanuts to the kitchen.

There, was Minseok. He was rummaging about a box full of the foam peanuts, his tongue sticking out as he tried looking at directions at the same time.

The Christmas music was coming from Minseok’s phone, the kitchen in an explosive mess of silver mechanic parts, plastic bags and foam peanuts.

Everyone stood at the entrance of the kitchen, watching with agape mouths and confused expressions. It took Minseok a good long while before Jongin cleared his throat to notice the group of boys.

They stared at each other for a moment before it started to annoy Minseok.

“What?” He asked rather rudely.

“Wh-What are you doing?” Luhan asked as he stepped out.

“What does it look like I’m doing? Stupid.” Minseok mumbled as he took another piece of his espresso machine out.

“I dunno, that’s why I’m asking.” Luhan said slightly annoyed.

“I got myself an early birthday present, what of it?” He spat back.

“His birthday’s not for a couple months…” Jongin mumbled under his breath to the closest person near him.

“You don’t have to be an about it.” Luhan said getting more ticked off.

“I’m not being an , you’re being an !” Minseok retorted.

“Ugh!” Luhan threw his hands up and stormed away, marching off to his room and slamming the door.

“Little …” Minseok muttered under his breath after the male. “What the you guys staring at? Sehun close your mouth, what are you? Two? Show a little humanity around here you gaping Neanderthal.”

Sehun’s mouth only slunk down lower, completely shocked that Minseok would ever say such a thing. He used to be kind of nice, well, he used to hardly ever say anything at all.

Everyone else shook their heads and left Minseok alone to his angry festering.

∾∾∾

“Look at this mess. This place is a pig sty.” Luhan kicked the coffee cups that lined the ground of the living room. He looked into the kitchen to find the trash over flowing with the same coffee cups. Empty coffee mugs lining the counters and tables of the entire dorm, everything was overflowing with coffee.

“I swear, he’s going crazy.” Kyungsoo muttered under his breath as he tried picking up the trash.

“No. Stop cleaning.” Luhan said rather firmly.

“Well, who else is going to do it? Minseok sure as hell won’t. It’s been like this for days. We get home and sleep, he just drinks coffee and leaves a mess. We wake up, wash up and head out again. There’s no time to clean!”

“There’s time now and that is going to clean this mess up.” Luhan seethed under his breath as he started for Minseok’s door.

“Kim Minseok!” Luhan barged through the door, breaking the lock and door knob in the process.

Minseok jumped from his desk and turned around. His pants were off, but still dressed in his underwear. Coffee grounds were spread all under his nose and around his mouth and had gone flying all over his lap and carpet.

Luhan stared with wide and shocked eyes, Minseok stared with wide and scared eyes; he was just caught in the middle of an embarrassing act.

“What… The , are you doing?”

“Uh. N-Nothing.” The can of coffee grounds and hand chock full of the black substance said a lot more than that. The computer screen was on, a video showing how to make dry espresso drinks playing with alluring saxophone music.

“Yeah nothing my .” Luhan barged into the dark room and ripped Minseok away from the computer. “Get your up!” He pulled Minseok by the ear and made him stand to his feet. “I swear to god, were you eating that?!”

“N-No! I was just smelling it!” Minseok looked down and his cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

“God you’re a ing loser. Do you see this Minseok?” Luhan—still holding the male by his ear—pointed to the room. It was covered head to toe in all different kinds of coffee brand containers and empty coffee cups. “This is disgusting. The whole dorm is covered in this . Get your act together and go clean it, now! This coffee addiction stops here!” Luhan scolded the male in a very rough tone.

“But! No. I can’t! It’s so delicious! You can’t take me from my one true love!” Minseok ripped himself away and dove down for the coffee ground can he had been holding, taking in a large whiff of its aromatic smell.

“Do you see yourself?! That’s pathetic Minseok! You’ve become such an on top of it! You treat all of us like pieces of !” Luhan cornered the male. “Sehun cries at night because of how mean you are to him and Tao’s been constantly making sure he looks alright every five seconds because of what you said to him! You’re hurting everyone’s feelings and it’s not cool Minseok, we’re supposed to be a team.”

“So what? It’ll make us stronger. They could use confidence boosters from this anyways.” Minseok took a hand full of the grounds and stared sniffing them again.

Luhan walked up to the male and smacked the can of coffee out of his hands. “You hurt me Minseok. I’m tired of not being able to have a decent conversation with my best friend. The man who helped me the most adjust to this place. The man who I could wrestle for no apparent reason. The man who’d play soccer with me at two in the morning. The man I thought I could lo—” Luhan caught himself before finishing his sentence.

“The man you thought you could what?” Minseok sat up and watched Luhan carefully.

“It’s nothing.” Luhan swallowed back his words and stood up straight. “If you don’t get yourself together, I swear to god so help me I will break your coffee machine and tell the manager on you.”

“N-No, please don’t do that.” Minseok stood to his feet and walked over to the male. “Tell me, what you were going to say.”

“I said it was nothing!” Luhan pushed Minseok back and stormed out of the room. “Don’t talk to me until you’ve cleaned this entire dorm!”

Minseok watched the male leave and slam the door behind him, his face a little baffled from the current situation.

“Nice.” Kyungsoo mumbled under his breath when Luhan walked by.

“Oh shut up. Don’t act like you don’t have a problem with Jongi—”

“You shut your mouth!” Kyungsoo raised his voice.

 

 

The evening was almost over and Minseok still wasn’t anywhere near finished with his cleaning. He still had the living room, bathroom and kitchen left to go.

“Lu wha—”

Luhan stuck his chin up at the male and walked out of the living room.

Minseok watched as the male walked out.

“Looks like he’s giving you the cold grounder. Get it cause shoulder sounds like ground and coffee grounds.. Okay. No.” Joonmyun quickly shut himself up and occupied himself with the television.

 

 

It was close to midnight when Minseok finally cleaned all his coffee from the dorm. Four whole bags full of coffee related items had lined the door entrance. He looked and called around for Luhan in the dorm, but for some reason he as missing—no one had seen him the last hour.

Minseok then stood in front of the door and contemplated how much he didn’t want to go out into the cold to take the trash into the dumpster. But he did it anyways, putting on warm slippers and who’s ever jacket he grabbed first from the closet.

He grabbed all four bags hoping that just one trip would be necessary, but that proved wrong when they all nearly broke in front of the trash can. Minseok groaned as he tried to keep the bags from breaking, but it was difficult when both his hands where full of breaking bags.

A hand had come in and helped the bags up—keeping them from breaking any further.

Minseok looked up and found the familiar blonde locks of his best friend.

“Here, I’ll help.”

Minseok simply stared at the male, a soft smile on his lips as he did so. The two put the trash bags into the dumpster, wiping their hands off on their sides afterwards.

“Thanks, Lu.” Minseok said softly.

“Don’t mention it.” Luhan picked up his grocery bag and started for their apartment building again.

“Hey, Lu.” Minseok grabbed Luhan’s arm.

“… What?” Luhan turned around to face the male.

“I uh.. I-I just wanted to apologize for my behavior. And I’m sorry for hurting your feelings. I-I didn’t mean to shut you out and call you mean things like that..” Minseok looked down, his cheeks bright red.

“I know… Just don’t do it again okay?” Luhan complied with a soft smile.

“Okay. I’ll tone down the coffee.” Minseok offered a small smile to the male.

“Good.” Luhan smiled even brighter.

They stood there for a moment in the freezing cold, Minseok still holding onto Luhan’s arm. He felt all kinds of sobriety in the cold air, and warmth from the way his heart was pumping in front of Luhan.

“Min?” Luhan asked suddenly.

“Yeah?” Minseok asked a little hopefully.

“It’s cold, can you let go of my arm so I can go inside?”

Oh. O-Oh, yeah. Sorry.” Minseok quickly let go, his cheeks burning bright with embarrassment.

“Come on, you need to apologize to everyone else. Maybe Sehun will stop crying like the little baby he is.” Luhan laughed as he started for the door.

“Yeah, that might help haha—” Just as Minseok was about to chuckle, a soft peck hit his cheek.

Minseok stopped in his tracks and stared at Luhan.

“That’s what I said earlier.” Luhan simply the balls of his feet and walked confidently into the backdoor of the apartment building.

A smile slowly, but surely, spread across Minseok’s cheeks as he touched the place Luhan had kissed.

“Okay, you definitely didn’t say anything along those lines. Hey, get back here when I’m talking to you!”

Minseok’s pleads and calls fell on deaf ears as he chased the male into the building. Asking all sorts of questions whenever he had the chance.

It was a start, and a very weird start at that, but it was the start of a budding new relationship; as friends, and much more than just that.

Minseok loved his coffee, he would never give up that obsession; he was just cooler about it now. And knew how to balance his love for coffee and his love for his best friend.

They were happy, and that was all that mattered.

 


Hahahah, I hate coffee (but I will drink a caramel macchiato) otherwise I’m a tea drinker

I don’t think this came out as funny as I anticipated… but most of the scenes were based off the movie Kicking and Screaming lol

The title is a play on words~ like Luhan was punishing/grounding Minseok for being a weed.

No sequel lol, don’t see a future beyond this ending

But tell me what you think! (how about that rushed and cliché af ending  oh yay) I hope you enjoyed this super small one shot~