POLYCHROMATIC

POLYCHROMATIC
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Cause even a fool

is not naive enough

to dress

such a lovely rose.

 

Mino’s eyes were narrowed in concentration as he worked. Beads of sweat gathered on his forehead, at times sliding down and obscuring his view, tasting like saline tears on his dry lips. Mino would then wipe them away with the back of his hand, not minding the smudges of graphite the action left on his skin, intent only on capturing every single detail of the resplendent subject that silently lay before him.

Beams of sunshine were trying to fight their way in through the drawn curtains, casting the room in a soft hazy glow. For a while, only the sound of his drawing pencil scratching against paper can be heard.

 

Kim Jinwoo was lying on his bed. .

 

Eyes staring off in a distance, someplace unreachable for an outcast like Mino. He was pale and beautiful. Not too angular, his contours gentle and refined.  A work of art all on his own. Mino was inescapably aware, too aware, taking in the sight before him with breathless admiration.

Mino’s hand started moving faster on its own, with each newly drawn line growing heavier and thicker than the last. Frantic, frenzied. Almost as if it’s mirroring the erratic beating of his heart.

 

“Mino?”

 

He stilled, dust motes swirling freely. Lifting his gaze from his sketchbook, he meets Jinwoo’s eyes.

 

The world stops.

 

A loaded silence settles between them. Mino can no longer contain the shivers that's been running up and down his spine since they started along with tiny jolts of static dancing on his skin. The breath in his throat catches, his hand terribly shaking as it hovered over the paper.

 

Mino’s heart stops beating.

 

He stops breathing.

 

Jinwoo is staring at him as he slowly rose off the bed. Almost as if he’s seeing through him, looking down at his very soul. Mino loses the ability to speak, eyes trained on him wordlessly.

 

Jinwoo is calm, certain, beautiful.

And he was a mess, a horrible awful mess.

 

Jinwoo’s hands cradle his face tenderly, thumbing away the tears that were steadily flowing out of his eyes - he is being made aware only now that he had been crying.

“Tell me what you want, Mino.” Jinwoo hums slowly, making his heart sputter back to life in his chest. “I’ll give it to you. Whatever it is.”

“I don’t - I don’t know...” There’s a crack in his voice. Mino starts thinking, eyes flickering to Jinwoo’s face, drifting down to his lips where they lingered.

Jinwoo’s hands slide down to his shoulders, barely touching his skin. Yet Mino, can feel the burn - can feel the gentle flame lapping his flesh. Mino’s drawing pencil slips out of his sweaty fingers, falling to the floor and rolling under the bed.

 

 

 

It started with a wayward cat. A lean wrinkly looking hairless cat that had ears way too big for its head. It was a hot and humid afternoon in the summer and Mino was sitting on his front porch steps sketching when he noticed it slink into his yard. Mino’s eyes lifted from his sketchbook, his gaze meeting those of the cat now sitting just a few feet away from him, defiantly staring back as it its paw.

Mino intended to shoo it away at first but before he could get to it, the hairless cat came closer and rubbed its head on his leg. He glanced at it disparagingly, shifting on his seat and lifting his leg up but the cat wasn’t so easily discouraged. Raising its paws, it stretched itself out and clung on to his pant leg.

Days turned into a week, and then two weeks, then three. The scorching summer heat had mellowed out and autumn was on its way. Mino still sits on his front porch steps sketching, but now he’s got two low white porcelain bowls by his side at the ready. For a while, only the light scratching sound of compressed charcoal against textured paper could be heard. Mino’s fingers are covered in soot, his clothes well-worn with dark smudges.

 

“Meow.”

 

Mino looks up, lips quirking into a wry grin as he moves his sketchbook aside to welcome the feline walking towards him. The cat gracefully jumps into his lap and curls up on his thighs. In some ways, this cat was perfect for him. First, it was hairless so he didn’t have to worry about his allergies acting up. Second, it’s a lap-cat. A perfect companion for when he’s sketching outside on lazy warm afternoons or indoors on cold wintry days and desolate rainy days. Third, it’s extremely affectionate and just naturally makes the corners of his mouth curl up - something he doesn’t do often, not having found much of anything to really smile about as of late.

As much as he’d like to make the cat his, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), it already belonged to someone else. He fingers the dark thin collar around its neck while eyeing the cool round metal disk hanging down from it, etched with an R on one side and a phone number on the other side.


 

Mino loved colors. From striking ones that made bold statements, to muted hues that seemed to hold secrets. He loved the soothing blue that is the sky, the abundant shades of green in the trees and grass, the vivacity of red from a muffler his mother had knitted him for his 15th birthday. Shades of pink always made him feel a little shy for some reason while loud neons put a zing in his step. Cheery yellow always gave him a good vibe and at times, a lot of luck.

It started slowly, colors faded starting from the edges of his vision until one day he roused to a world of endless shades of gray. Brilliant hues ceased to exist, sharp lines were blurred and shapes became distorted. All Mino sees now is the ravenous dark of grey and the persevering whittling white against almost impregnable black.

Resentment rippled in his chest at the loss and Mino’s world crumbled around him like besieged city walls. For a while he felt like an animal devoid of plumage and furs, just like the hairless cat he’s got curled up on his lap, face buried into his clothed stomach. Mino falls silent, eyes soft, a smile tugging his lips.

 

“Rey! Rey!”

 

Mino lifted his gaze but remained quiet. He noticed the cat on his lap stir, ears perking up.

“Just where did you go?”

As if in response to the stranger’s query, the cat meowed loudly. It jumped off his lap and hurried forward. The next thing Mino knows is that there’s an abrupt jolt of vibrant red in his monochromatic world. His mouth clicks shut as he slowly rises from his spot on the porch, speechless.

“Rey! There you are!” Color seeped into his vision tinting the center of the stranger’s lips in a bright red hue, exquisitely spreading out the edges. “I’ve been looking everywhere for you.”

The cat meowed happily at the stranger now standing in his yard, quickly jumping into his waiting arms. Mino silently watches them, his mouth going dry. The more he stared, the more overwhelmed he became. The stranger’s dark hair being lightly ruffled by the breeze were tinted in a reddish hue, making Mino have the rising urgency to run his fingers through those almost fiery looking locks.

“Hi. I’m Jinwoo. Nice to meet you...um…”

“Mino.” He finally says after a few seconds, offering his hand. “My name is Mino.”

He was the most beautiful thing he had ever laid eyes on. Mino falls silent again, staring back at enchanting dark doe eyes with speckles of red in them, unblinking until his eyes began to sting.

 

 

His best friend, Seunghoon, visits him every Saturday morning of each week. Usually with his long-time boyfriend Taehyun in tow. Together, the pair would stock up Mino’s fridge and pantry with food along with other necessities, sometimes running little errands for him.

Seunghoon and he grew up together, having been neighbors since he was six. Seunghoon was Mino’s ‘blue’ at one point, with Seunghoon driving them to Busan in his mother’s minivan with no liberties, in the middle of the night - just so that Mino can see the ‘blue’ that is the sea before the color disappeared from him completely. It was the last sunrise in full color he saw and he could still recall how the water had shimmered and how the sun rose higher and higher until it was a ball of white in a light gray sky.

Now, Mino no longer recalls exactly what ‘blue’ is like. It lies somewhere in the back of his mind forgotten like outgrown toys, last year’s gifted fruitcake, and missing socks.

“We’re having a get-together next weekend.” Seunghoon informs him, his voice muffled by the low whirring sound the refrigerator makes whenever it’s opened.

Mino shifts from his place in the couch, not particularly interested. Seconds later, Taehyun joins him, dropping a fresh box of compressed charcoal sticks on his lap.

“Your sister, Dana, she’s coming.” Taehyun adds. “Come and see her, she misses you.”

“I’m not going.” Mino says simply, hoping that he takes the hint and lets the subject drop.

“You should.” He hears Taehyun say quietly. “There’s so much more out there beyond the walls of this house.”

Mino released a deep sigh. “That’s easy for you to say.”

“How so?” Taehyun inquires. “Everyone’s got problems; you’re not the only one. Just how long are you going to be a prisoner in your own house?”

Mino furrowed his brows at this and Taehyun was quick to scoot closer and place a delicate hand on his arm, “I’m not trying to judge you, Mino.”  he insisted, “I’ve known you for a while, Seunghoon knows you. We haven’t given up on you so don’t give up on yourself either.”

 

 

“I’m sorry. I think said too much.” Taehyun tells Seunghoon. Upstairs, Mino has locked himself in his room.

Although Mino did not verbally express it, Taehyun knew that he touched a nerve with the way he distanced himself from him right after the words left his mouth. Mino’s lips were drawn in a tight line, eyes fixed to the ground as he abruptly stood without a word and headed upstairs.

“You didn’t do anything wrong, babe.” Seunghoon says, leaving what he was doing in the kitchen and joining Taehyun on the couch. He takes him in his arms, nuzzling him gently as he kissed his temple. “It’s about time Mino stopped throwing himself pity parties.”

“You think he’s alright up there?” Taehyun inquires, “By himself.”

“He’s stupid but he’s not that stupid.” Seunghoon lets him go for a bit, gaze drifting up the stairs, “I’d beat the out of him myself if he ever gets any funny ideas.”

Taehyun quirks an eyebrow at him. “Need I remind you that you were the one who cried the most when we picked him up from the facility.”

The two of them shared a knowing look for a few fleeting seconds before Seunghoon looked away and cleared his throat, visibly embarrassed.

Taehyun only smiled at this, “You said it yourself, remember?” he reached out and took Seunghoon’s hand. “To you, he is a very precious younger brother.”

Seunghoon watches him silently, awed at the tenderness in Taehyun’s expression that softened him around the edges. “If he’s someone that important to you, then he’s someone that important to me too.”

Seunghoon manages a tight-lipped smile as he tugs Taehyun back into his chest where a deep calming warmth has bloomed.


 

Taehyun and Seunghoon were in the middle of preparing lunch when they first heard it. It was more of a low rumble, indistinct. Taehyun turned the faucet off and listened intently. The second time they heard the sound, it was much clearer and sounded much closer - a loop of high-pitched meows. Taehyun who was preparing a salad looked up at him, a strange glint in his eyes.

“Babe, no.” Seunghoon warns but Taehyun is already stripping off his apron and opening the backdoor. Seunghoon sighs as the door slams shut; he doubts his excited boyfriend even heard him. Not having much of a choice at this point, he turns off the stove and follows after him.

“Please tell me you’re not going to take him home.” Seunghoon crossed his arms as he studied the strange wrinkly looking feline now half-perching on his comely boyfriend’s shoulder.

They already have two dogs and two cats together; Seunghoon could barely get any action in the bedroom with their four furry ‘children’ between them. He’s lucky if he can even reach for Taehyun’s without a tail thwacking his face or a paw on his chest.

On the upside, it did lead to some highly interesting situations that spurred Seunghoon to get a bit more adventurous and creative when it came to their lovemaking, with Taehyun's flexibility coming in handy one too many times.

“I won’t.” Taehyun assures him. “Someone owns him. Look, he has a collar.” Feeling relieved, Seunghoon’s lips twitched into a small smile.

“What a weird looking cat...” Seunghoon said when he came closer, lightly petting its hairless head with too big ears.

“Don’t say that.” Taehyun chides, “He can hear you.”

“Kinda makes you wonder what kind of person his owner is.” Seunghoon chuckled. “I feel like it’s a really massive dude. One of those wrestlers, you know…wearing really tiny shorts.”

Seunghoon started laughing as he imagined it. Taehyun glared and turned away from him, not amused. “Let’s go over there, kitty cat. Don’t listen to that idiot.”

“Ya! How can you call your handsome and amazing boyfriend an idiot?”


 

It was already late afternoon when Mino finally came out of his room.

“About time!” Seunghoon exclaimed when he saw him coming down the stairs. He left his spot on the sofa where he was watching some TV and approached him.

“Mino-ya, remember that meatball sauce that I’ve been trying to perfect? I finally did it!” Seunghoon’s eyes shone as he said it, pulling Mino with him to the kitchen. “You have to try it. It’s crazy good!”

Mino silently watches him as he starts to heat up food for him. He headed to the dining table and pulled out a chair. “Where’s Taehyun?” he asked, looking around before he sat down.

Seunghoon doesn’t answer; instead he opens the fridge in search of something.

“Seunghoon-hyung, I couldn’t help it.” Mino says, head hung low. “I’m sorry.”

“We know. Don’t sweat it.” Seunghoon sends a meaningful grin in his direction as he tossed some pasta in a pan. “Taehyun understands.”

“Where is he? Did he head back to your place on his own?” Mino questioned.

He felt relieved having them both by his side, knowing that these are people that he can trust to stick around with him, especially when he’s at his worst. Mino knows he’s hard to deal with, having had a lot of ‘not-so-good’ days. Days when he snaps at people for no reason, days when he can’t be bothered to deal with anything, days when he cocoons himself in self-loathing, days when he’s searching for someone to blame for everything.

Today wasn’t as bad, he’s done much worse, much worse. He knew that Taehyun meant well and he understood every word he said as it resonated in his being. Words that no one else would have the audacity and honesty to say to him. An apology was in order.

“Nah. He’s just outside.” Seunghoon responded, sliding the pasta from the pan to a plate. “He made a new friend. Let me go and get him.”

Seunghoon placed the completed dish in front of him and after sprinkling some finely chopped parsley on top, he headed to the backdoor. Seconds later he heard Seunghoon calling out Taehyun’s name, it was soon followed by some laughter and two sets of footfalls heading back to the house.

Mino was sprinkling some parmesan cheese on his pasta when Seunghoon walked back into the kitchen, behind him was Taehyun. He stood up from his seat, intent on apologizing to him but before can even speak, a shrill ‘meow’ come out of nowhere.

“Aww, he’s so cute!” Taehyun’s eyebrows rose high above his eyes in delight. “Look at him rubbing his head on my hand.”

Mino’s jaw literally dropped when he saw Taehyun cradling a very familiar hairless cat.

“Mino-ya, don’t you have something to say to my Taehyun?” Seunghoon says, running his hand down the cat’s spine.

“Where did you get that cat?” Mino asked, eyes fixed on said cat.

Seunghoon and Taehyun glanced at Mino, and then at the cat, then back to Mino again.

“He wandered into your yard earlier when we were cooking.” Taehyun said hurriedly. “Don’t worry, he’s totally gentle. I swear I won’t let him out of my sight while he’s in here.”

“He’s a very well-behaved cat, Mino-ya.” Seunghoon assured.

Just then, the cat turned its head and upon noticing Mino it instantly leapt out of Taehyun’s arms. Seunghoon tried to make a grab for the cat but he missed. It trotted off to where Mino stood and started affectionately rubbing itself on his leg while purring.

Taehyun’s face fell; he rushed over to pry the cat off Mino’s leg. “Come here, kitty cat. Come...”

The wrinkled feline was having none of it. It refused Taehyun’s advances and it seemed set on sticking by Mino. Taehyun, pleaded for his boyfriend to help him with his eyes but before Seunghoon can approach him, Mino bent down and picked up the cat.

The black and white cat seemed to be very pleased with this. It started meowing more and it began Mino’s face. Taehyun and Seunghoon can only stare agape at the bizarre sight unfolding before them.

Ever since Mino awoke to his world of endless grays, he started distancing himself from the rest of the world, adamant on keeping to himself. Refusing to mingle with any of his neighbors and refusing to meet with any of their old friends, even family members. He lived away from all of them, choosing to live a life of quiet solitude. Now he makes a living off his skill, drawing commissioned illustrations from various sources.

Time and time again, Seunghoon would urge him to at least get a pet so that he can at least have a daily companion. Mino would ramble off about how much of a handful they can become and why he doesn’t need one, refusing each and every time.

“Mino-ya, are you alright?” Seunghoon warily asked, beside him Taehyun cleared his throat.

Before Mino can respond, they heard the doorbell go off. Someone was at the front door.

“I’ll go and see who it is.” Taehyun announced.

“Stay here, babe. I’ll go.” Seunghoon offered.

‘Watch the cat.’ He mouthed to Taehyun before heading to the front door.


 

“Hi.”

Seunghoon stared in awe at the unknown male standing before him, unable to respond.

Is he real? He wondered, scrutinizing the stranger’s immaculate features.

Sparkling doe eyes lined with thick long lashes, a high-bridged nose, well-defined lips beatifically curved, and a finely chiseled jaw. An absolute knockout from any angle.

“Uh, I was just wondering if you saw my Rey around here.” The stranger said timidly, cheeks softly dusted in red as he met his gaze.

My God, he’s not just devilishly handsome - he’s extremely cute too. Seunghoon had to literally place a hand over his chest to calm his excited heart.

“My Rey...” the stranger trailed off, looking uncomfortable.

That’s when Seunghoon finally realized that he was creeping out the poor guy. He had been openly staring at him, completely forgetting about his mouth that went slack and fell open at the shock.

Seunghoon pushed his jaw back up and closed his mouth. Clearing his throat, he straightened up and leaned on the door trying to look less creepy. “Sorry about that. What did you want again?”

“I’m looking for Rey.” the stranger says, “My cat.”

“You’re looking for a cat?” Seunghoon stepped closer.

“Yeah.” the stranger nodded, gesturing with his hands. “He’s hairless, black and white.”

“You’re not a wrestler?!”

The stranger seemed startled by this; he flinched and took a step back. Before Seunghoon could apologize for his outburst, he heard footsteps closing in on him.

“What’s taking you so long?”

Looking over his boyfriend's shoulder, Taehyun caught sight of a highly attractive young man who nodded at him and smiled. Taehyun glanced at his red-faced boyfriend before smiling back at the stranger, just to be polite. He slid his arm around Seunghoon’s waist and met the stranger’s gaze head on.

Seunghoon couldn’t help but swallow audibly once Taehyun’s hand settled on his waist. Taehyun rarely did that, reserved only on occasions when he couldn’t help but feel anxious. Throughout the course of their relationship, Taehyun had only done so twice - the first was when they randomly ran into one of his exes and the second was when Seunghoon got caught in an unfortunate situation with a female coworker - one of her chandelier earrings got caught in his sweater just when Taehyun pulled up to pick him up at work.

This would be the third. And it doesn’t look good.

“What are you here for?” Taehyun asked, no frills. “If you’re here to sell something, we’re not interested so you can go.”

“I’m not selling anything.” the stranger piped, shaking his head. “I was just looking for my cat.”

Seunghoon didn’t fail to notice how uncomfortable the stranger seemed once again. He couldn’t blame him; his boyfriend was literally throwing daggers at the poor guy.

“I guess you haven’t seen him.” The stranger said, shifting from one foot to the other. “I’m sorry for interrupting. I’ll be going then.”

“Hold on.” Seunghoon reached out and grabbed his shoulder. “We have your cat. He’s inside.”

The stranger stopped in his tracks and turned towards him, flashing him one hell of a butterfly-inducing smile. He freezes for two seconds, stunned, before diverting his gaze and focusing them back on a displeased-looking Taehyun who was standing by the door with his arms crossed. . He’s got a lot of explaining to do.


 

“Mino-ya, give me the cat?”

Mino stares up at Seunghoon holding a fork-full of twirled spaghetti with one hand, while his other hand petted the now sleeping feline on his lap.

“The owner is here. He’s waiting outside.”

Seunghoon didn’t think that Mino could move that fast. His fork clattered on his plate as he rushed towards the front door with the cat in his arms. Interesting enough, he stopped before he can reach it and did not step outside. He stood there looking unsure of himself - repeatedly tugging on his shirt, running a hand through his hair, taking a step back then taking a step forward again and again, biting his lip and sighing.

That’s when a bulb in the back of Seunghoon’s head brightly lit up. He grinned from ear to ear, a warm sensation filling his chest as he watched Mino. It’s been a very long time since he saw him look so visibly shaken by something, or more appropriately - someone. Somehow, he can sense it. A great ‘change’ was about to come and things in what is now Mino’s monotonous life are about to get more interesting.

Mino-ya, looks like you've found yourself a match.

He nodded to himself while grinning, finding it hard to contain how he was feeling at that very moment. This stranger might just be that one candle that can light Mino’s way and guide him out of the dark tunnel he managed to crawl into.


 

“Jinwoo-shii...” Mino starts, almost tripping over after Seunghoon had inadvertently pushed him out the door.

“I told you before, just Jinwoo is fine.” There it is again, that strange tint of red invading his usual monochromatic world. A strange whirring starts up in his chest and Mino is once again too lost in the moment.

Noticing the cat in Mino’s arm, the guy named Jinwoo reaches out to it and takes it into his arms. “I knew it!” he exclaimed.

“Rey, didn’t I tell you to stop sneaking out and bothering Mino.” Jinwoo cutely waved a finger at his cat. “Don’t do this again. It’s bad. Do you understand?”

The cat meowed loudly to their amazement while Jinwoo petted its head and smiled. With the cat tucked securely in his arms, Jinwoo thanked them and said his goodbyes but before he can leave Mino’s porch, Seunghoon spoke up.

“Do you like spaghetti?”

Jinwoo stared at him and nodded.

“That’s great!” Seunghoon beamed, eyes turning into crescents. “I made a lot, why don’t you come on in? Mino just started eating so you can join him. I can prepare it for you in a jiffy.” That’s when Seunghoon felt Taehyun elbow him hard from the side.

Sorry, babe. I swear I’ll make it up to you really good later.


 

“What the hell are you doing?!” Taehyun fumed, arms crossed, pacing back and forth in the confined space that he had dragged himself and his boyfriend in, the bathroom. Seunghoon quietly sat on the toilet watching him, mind occupied with thoughts about Mino and Jinwoo - mostly Jinwoo, if he had to be honest. The pretty boy immensely intrigued him. Not in a romantic sense, but Taehyun didn’t know that - yet.

“How dare you flirt with someone else right in front of me?!” He felt Taehyun shove him a bit, intent on getting answers. “He’s totally your type. You think I don’t know? You like them cute with big eyes.”

“I wasn’t flirting.” Seunghoon defended. “I’m just helping him out.”

“Helping him out?” Taehyun sighed, “We already gave him his cat! Why did you have to invite him in too?!” Taehyun’s voice has gotten much louder; Seunghoon stood up and clamped a hand over his mouth.

“Babe, calm down. They can hear you.”

Taehyun managed to get out of his hold, and boy did he look really mad now. Seunghoon already knew what was to come - Good bye, comfy bed. Hello, lumpy sofa.

“You even heated some pasta for him. Not only that, you kept talking to him and smiling the whole time!”

“Babe, listen.” Seunghoon pleaded, “Just give me a minute to explain, please?”

But Taehyun was having none of it; Seunghoon knew by the way he furrowed his brows.

“Mino, babe. It’s for Mino.”

“Mino, my !” Taehyun pinched him this time. “Now you’re even using him to make excuses.”

“Taehyun, please...” Seunghoon made a grab for him again, this time he clung to his back. “I’m serious. It’s for Mino. I swear to God, I’m not interested in Jinwoo at all. Not like that, please!”

Taehyun seemed to consider his words; he didn’t try to pull away this time. “Start explaining. You have exactly one minute.”

 

 

Jinwoo’s phone rang just as Taehyun and Seunghoon walked back in the kitchen. Mino watched Jinwoo hurriedly twist some pasta in his fork and shove it in his mouth.

“Don’t you think you should get that?” Mino heard Taehyun say.

Jinwoo shook his head. “It’s fine. I know who it is and it only means one thing...” He twirled some pasta again, “...I have to get going.”

“Oh, that’s perfect!” Seunghoon spoke up, “Taehyun and I are just about to get going too. Right, babe?”

Mino didn’t hear Taehyun’s response but he did see Jinwoo grin from ear to ear after finishing all the noodles on his plate. Did he really have to go so soon? Mino was hoping he’d stay a little longer and he doesn’t really know why. He should have spoken more, not because he had a lot he wanted to ask Jinwoo but because he simply liked hearing his voice.

“Hey, since we’re both heading out...” Mino heard Seunghoon offer, “...why don’t we give you a lift?”

“That would be nice.” Jinwoo beamed but quickly caught himself, gaze drifting to Taehyun, clearly seeking his approval.

“I don’t mind.” Taehyun shrugged. “Go and take Rey back. We’ll clean up here and come get you.” Mino didn’t miss how Seunghoon reached out for Taehyun’s hand at this, expression soft and pleased as he watched him. Maybe even proud. “White house with the rose bushes on the next block, I know which one it is. We’ll come by.”

 

 

It takes another two days for Mino to see Jinwoo again. This time Jinwoo wasn’t looking for his cat. Alternatively, he brought his cat - cats. Both hairless and wrinkled, both looking up at him curiously.

“Rey.” Jinwoo said, pointing at the cat with a large dark patch on its skin. The one that liked to sneak into his yard and curl up on his lap.

“Bey.” Jinwoo pointed at the other cat that didn't have any distinctive markings and seemed to have no interest in him at all.

Mino nodded slowly, letting the information sink into his bewildered mind. Two seconds later both cats made their way into his house by slinking past him, their tails lightly brushing against his legs.

“They gave me this really good citron tea at work.” Jinwoo said, showing him a full glass jar of it. “Seunghoon said you like this stuff a lot so I thought I'd come by and have a cup with you.”

 

It’s strange. Mino thinks, a hand laid over his chest as he watched Jinwoo in smudges of gray move around on white and on black. The lustrous silver of the kettle gleaming sharply from the stove distracts him for a split second before they focus on Jinwoo’s fingers lightly tapping on the counter as they waited for the water to boil.

Jinwoo looked surreal under the softened glow of sunlight that filtered into Mino’s kitchen. His brows were drawn together as he read the tiny print on the back of the jar. A subtle halo of light surrounded him against a haze of black, a contrast that made him seem ethereal. Mino is lulled unwittingly, drawn to Jinwoo’s faint humming as he scooped some of the citron jelly into identical mugs of grayish white.

Jinwoo starts to make small talk to pass the time and Mino notices that there is no splash of red on him today anywhere, he’s back to seeing in only gray, black, and white. Jinwoo stares at him, smiling, asking about the weather.

“You’re very quiet today.” Jinwoo commented, Bey who leapt up on the counter, curious about the kettle. Rey is by Jinwoo’s feet on the kitchen floor, curled up and sleeping.

Mino took a deep breath, not quite sure how to respond. This is all very unfamiliar to him, unfamiliar but pleasant. The sound of the kettle whistling aded his thoughts, mussing them. Jinwoo’s pale hand starts moving, gesturing as he spoke. “Go and sit on the couch. Find us something good to watch.”

Mino the TV just as Jinwoo suggested, flicking through the channels. Only stopping when he heard Jinwoo exclaim something indistinguishable. Worried that he might have hurt himself, Mino started to move towards the kitchen only for Jinwoo to come rushing into the living room holding two steaming mugs of tea.

“I love him!” Jinwoo keens, eyes fixed on the TV. “He’s the best!”

Mino watches him, a little stunned. He worries that Jinwoo might end up spilling the tea but it seemed to be for naught as Jinwoo balanced the mugs without spilling a drop despite the constant jerking movement he made.

“Here you go.” Jinwoo says, tenderly handing him his tea when a commercial about toilet paper started rolling.

Mino’s heart starts beating quickly for reasons he is yet to discern.

 

The two of them sat on the couch; he looked over at Jinwoo as he took a sip of his tea which amazingly tasted like magic. His taste buds were gratified with the delicate balance of sweet honey and the tangy zest of an orange. Deliciously sweet and tarty, calming and warm. Every sip he took made the sensory pleasure he was experiencing heighten, tickling his taste buds as its ambrosial fragrance wrapped around him.

“Seunghoon-ah was right. You really like this stuff, don’t you?” There was a slight teasing tone in Jinwoo’s voice as he said it, not that Mino minded. He nodded slowly before taking another sip of his tea. Jinwoo continued to stare at him making him feel self-conscious and much much warmer - or maybe that was because of the tea.

A distinctive melodic voice emerges from the TV, grabbing their attention. They fell silent, enthralled as guitar strings were plucked by slender deft fingers. A rich mellow voice starts crooning out a love song, holding both of them captive. Every note is profound and as the voice reached a crescendo, even Jinwoo's cats seemed mesmerized. Both came closer to the TV and stared up at the screen.

“That was Kang Seungyoon-shii with his new single...” the announcer on the TV blares, Mino sneaks a peek at Jinwoo who seems to be literally glowing with such a huge smile plastered on his face.

“He’s so amazing!” Jinwoo gushes. “Every time I hear him sing, I get all tingly and giddy. I can just listen to him forever!”

Mino has never heard of this ‘Kang Seungyoon’ before but based on what he’s heard so far, he’s great at what he does - and Jinwoo seems to like him very much. Realizing the latter, he felt something bitter rise up his throat followed by a sinking weight in his stomach.

“Kang Seungyoon-shii, you’re new single is called SOULMATES and it’s about meeting your soulmate. Can you tell us more about it? Also, do you yourself believe in soulmates?”

The host goes on and on. Mino watches them move around in black and white. Kang Seungyoon’s face soon fills the screen and Jinwoo leans forward from his sea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter