EINS

My Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just before you read this, this does contain some swearing but it only appears I think 3 times so I don't know. But yeah! Enjoy!

 

Your POV

Peacefully, the gentle wind blew as the fall auburn leaves danced in delight. I grasped my parka shut and tightened my woollen scarf multiple times as the chill rose to my neck. I could see my warm breath vapour in front of me and feel the peaks of my ears and nose blush at the biting cold. My balled up fists keeping the warmth comfortably in my silk pockets. The fresh scent of dewy raindrops on the tall blades of grass. The satisfying crisp sound of the dry, veined leaves crunching under my black, suede boots filled me with the little joys of autumn. Distracted by the hidden gems of everyday life, I didn’t notice a hunched figure silently making it's way towards me.

Boo!

Argh!

Hah, you didn’t see that one coming. Did you?

He muttered whilst passionately engulfing me into his arms. The dark, musky scent immediately brought me to the haven of comfort and safety. I swirled to face him and rested my head into the crook of his neck. It always fit perfectly. That’s how you know it was meant to be. If he makes you feel comfortable, loved, safe and happy, then you know he's a keeper. He messily ran his fingers through my waved hair as I closed my eyes. I wanted to stay like this forever. But all good things must come to an end.

That is why love is unnecessary. It's part of life and it’s unfair. Even if we want to live forever and be with our significant other for eternity, we all know it is impossible. But why? Why do people foolishly believe in the concept of never-ending love and end up with their weak hearts ripped up into little pieces of confetti? Why suffer through all that and end up getting hurt by the person that you thought loved you to the moon and back. Love is just a useless emotion you feel when you encounter failure. You do not succeed. Therefore you need someone, distraction, to make you feel like you are worth something.

My belief in life is that be successful, hard-working, a role-model to others. Accomplish your goals and fulfil your dreams. You will be content without the need of love.

I, Lee MiRa, aged nineteen, do not need love. I have no interest. None.

 ========================================================================================

A strip of light seeped through my grey opaque curtains at such an angle that blinded me in the early moments of my morning. I retreated into my soft duvet and hid, not wanting to face the daunting day of a high-schooler. Soon, I heard the punctual knocks on my door that cued me to sluggishly drag myself to the bathroom.

I stared blankly at the smudged reflection, procrastinating momentarily. I snapped back into reality when my maid was impatiently calling for me. I rushed to the door and was faced with my mother instead, to my surprise. “Oh, hurry up. We have somewhere to go today, before school. Quickly!” She ushered me to my room and briefly showed me the dress she had chosen. Obviously, she didn’t choose just any dress. It was an A/W 2016 piece, that was bought just for me. I could tell she had to pull a few strings from her friends as she’s never been this forceful to do anything like this before.

“I have an important meeting so I can’t come with you but Driver Jung will take you there. I have already made reservations so just mention my name and you’ll be fine. Other than that, be on your best behaviour and wear this. Don’t make me be pulled out of my meeting unnecessarily.” She ended he mini speech and pulled out the dress. It was black and form-fitting. The cut started at my shoulders and lace was sewn so elegantly yet it was messy and untamed at the same time. It was perfect I guess.

I swiftly changed and stepped outside, where my mother was impatiently waiting for me, and was eager for her crucial reaction. Anxious, I worried if I looked presentable enough, up to my mothers expectations. After all, I was the only daughter of Lee Corporations and Co. She stared at me for a solid three minutes and finally gave a curt nod. “It will have to do. Don’t worry about school. I’ll ring them personally and inform them of your absence. I’ll talk to you later when I finish work, so just be patient and wait for me. Yes?” She finished and waited for my agreement, then strided to the open door.

I glanced quickly at myself in the mirror and carefully parted my hair in the middle, tucking my escaping fringe behind my ears. This showed my one hundred and twenty four carat diamond earrings which were gifted to me by my father on my 16th Birthday. I treasured them as if it was the only single item in the whole of the vast universe.

Peeking down to my matching watch, I rapidly snatched my clutch and threw my shoes on carelessly when I noticed the time. I jogged across the long hallway and pressed the illuminated button for the elevator. They were much quicker and efficient than taking the stairs. When you have lived in a twelve storey house for eighteen years of your life with a never-ending spiral of stairs, you instantly learn that sometimes, you have to take simple shortcuts. I.e. : The elevator.

Ping. The doors glided open as I shuffled inside, frantically poking the first floor button. I arrived shortly after and was faced with a row of the house maids and the driver, Jung. They bowed deeply in unison and rose back after I gave them a brief nod. Driver Jung quietly leaded the way to the underground carpark and kindly opened the door for me to enter. Next to me there was a box intricately folded with toothpicks skewered together. Finally. FOOD. Chef Minjung made my favourite. Tokkbokki. My mother never allows me to have such kinds of foods like this so it was a rare treat for special occasions that I had once in a while.

The drive ended and I gently placed the empty box down. I reached into my clutch and felt for my mirror to see if my fuchsia lipstick had smudged. Nope. Perfect. I snapped the mirror shut as driver Jung opened the passenger seat door.

I glanced forward and was greeted with gold statues and grand fountains. A man, approximately in his mid fifties, greeted me as I entered the restaurant. Just as my mother instructed, I mentioned her name and he led me to a room that was divided by a door. He immediately slid it open, bowed and silently waited for me to enter the room.

“Anyeonghaseyo.” I introduced my self and took a seat in the empty chair. I was familiar with these people. My mother would often invite them to dinner, dragging me along with her. Kim Lee Min, the father of Kim Jongin and the CEO. Kim So Ra, the wife of Kim Lee Min. Their son was roughly my age maybe a few months older, but I never paid much notice to him. When we would frequently go out to dinner, he would only come once or twice. They were the owners of Kim Industries which was a group that my mother’s company is strongly linked with, allies, if you like. We have been successful together and experienced failure together. What we have been through shaped us into the two leading companies in Korea we are today. It was quite inspirational, I have to say.

“MiRa-shi,” Mrs Kim started, then taking a short sip of the red wine, “I guess you do not understand the reason why you cam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter