Kookie Jar of Hearts

Kookie Jar of Hearts

Kookie’s Jar of Hearts

                Of all the places that my parents could shun me for the summer, they chose to send me there? All the way to my grandparents! For most people that would be fine, possibly even great. For me, that meant flying all the way across the globe, to Seoul, South Korea. Which, might I add, was nowhere near anyone I knew.

                I have lived in America my whole life. I only speak Korean at home, because it is my mother’s first language. I hadn’t been to see my grandparents since I was seven. After ten years, I wasn’t looking forward to having to speak Korean nonstop for three weeks. I must have betrayed my country in a past life! Why was this happening to me?

                I got off the plane, exhausted and jet lagged. A tidy man in a black suit was waiting outside the gate holding a sign that read “Ms. Lee Myung Hee” in large black letters. That was my Korean name. Only my mother called me that. All of my friends, as well as my father, called me by my English name, Melody. I approached the man with the sign with a sigh.

                “Your grandfather is very sorry that he couldn’t meet you here. He was called in to deal with an urgent matter at the office. He sent me with his car and his sincerest apology.”

                “Well let’s go then.” The man nodded and I followed him to the waiting car.

                If traffic in Los Angeles was crazy, Seoul was fifty times worse. The car was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for going on thirty minutes when finally, I couldn’t take it anymore.

                “I am going to look around. I’ll be leaving first.” Before the driver could object, I exited the car and walked briskly to the sidewalk.

                The sidewalk was almost as busy as the roads. Even so, I found my way easily enough. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and searched for the closest clothing store. I grinned at my luck when it showed a mall no more than a couple blocks away. My grandparents had informed me that I had a fully stocked closet waiting for me, but I didn’t exactly trust their judgement. They were wealthy owners of a huge law firm. I was a seventeen year old daughter of a dentist. I liked skateboarding not business meetings. I had a feeling their clothes said stuffy and rich, not spunky and fun.

                Now don’t get me wrong. I love my grandparents. They are beautiful people. I was excited to get to see them after so long. But I was also getting ready to start my senior year of high school. All of my friends were planning what parties to go to and how many times they could catch famous people at the beach. My friends all said I should feel lucky, that they would kill to get to go to another country. But all I wanted was to have a summer with my friends before we all got stressed out with college apps and our futures. I made one wrong turn. Got in trouble for something that wasn’t even my fault. And I get shipped off and have to kiss my dream summer goodbye. So I wasn’t exactly the happiest camper.

                Clothes that made me feel like me was exactly what I needed to help cheer me up. The mall was incredibly easy to find considering it stuck out tall and sleek against all the other short and squat buildings surrounding it. The building was teaming with people. I couldn’t help but feel like a confused tourist. Everyone seemed to be on a very important mission. They all knew exactly where they were going. At this point I would be lucky to find my way around a trash bin. I finally spotted a mall map and scurried over to it.

                Relief spilled over me. The sign was in both Hangul and English. My eyes scanned the list of shops. A store name that sounded promising popped out at me.

                Thankfully, my instincts paid off. The clothes were exactly my style. Graphic Tee’s and jeans filled the walls. Sunglasses and bandanas cluttered the center shelves. I sighed contentedly and set off. I was bound and determined to find the perfect outfits. It was hard to find. The sizing system was so different from the US. I had to keep going back and forth to the dressing room. After much trial and error, I was convinced I had found enough to last my whole jail sentence. I headed over to the checkout counter. A pair of shoes caught my eye as I placed my basket on the counter. They were navy blue Chuck Taylors. Plain yet totally perfect all rolled into one. I glanced down at my shoes. They were worn and dirty. They had definitely seen better days. Ok it was final. I had to have those shoes. I picked up my bag and made a beeline for the rack.

                “Hey!” I shout. A long pair of arms s around from behind me and snatched the shoes off the rack. A soft chuckle sounded behind me. I whipped around angrily. That was the last pair. A boy stood before me. He was a good few inches taller than me. He had longish dark hair that was flipped to one side. He wore a plain white Tee and jeans. He had a black and red mask covering his mouth and nose. I glared darkly at him. “You knew I was about to grab those!” The boys eyebrows raised in confusion.

                “I don’t speak English well. Do you know Korean?” He said in a slightly broken accent. I let out an annoyed huff. I repeat myself in Korean.

                “I said, you knew I was going to grab those.” I pointed at the shoes still in his hand. He looked down at them.

                “I was already headed toward them. They don’t have your name on them do they?” He turned them over in his hands pretending to search.

                “That isn’t the point. I want them. It is the last pair.” He was starting to get on my nerves.

                “I want them too and I got to them first. I am sorry about your luck.” He turned to leave.

                “They won’t even fit you!” The boy stopped and turned back around.

                “I never said they were for me. I am sorry that they are the last pair but I need them. If you are really that worked up about it, I will find you another pair.” He says roughly. Then the boy snatched my phone from the top of my bag.

                “Yah! What are you doing?!” He held up a finger. I fumed silently. After a second he handed it back.

                “I will text you when I find a pair.” Then with a wink he walked away. I stood there awestruck. Who did he think he is? He was obviously used to getting his way. I looked down at my phone. My kakao app was open. I scrolled through my contacts looking for an unfamiliar name. There. Jeon Jungkook (GM). His name was nice. Much different from his personality. I shrugged it off and made my way grumpily back to the checkout line.

                It was already dark when I finally made it back to my grandparent’s house. I walked up the steps and through the front door of the massive house. A housekeeper came to take my bags. “Where are my grandparents?” I asked.

                “Master Jang is in his office and Madame is in her room.” The housekeeper said softly. Then with a bow she left with my bags. I found my way to my grandfather’s office and knocked gingerly on the door.

                “Come in.” A deep and familiar voice answered. I slowly opened the door and entered the office.

                “Grandpa. I am home.” I bowed 90 degrees and then met his eyes.

                “Myung Hee. Are you here on vacation?” He asked sternly.

                “No, sir.” My voice came out soft and I felt like a child.

                “That’s right. You are here because you got into trouble. I believe that you were expected back here after you got off the plane.” He went back to studying the papers in front of him.

                “Yes, sir.” I let my head fall in defeat.

                “Next time you will come home before you go running off by yourself, so your grandmother is saved the pain of worrying about you.” I snapped my head back up. A small smile pulled at the corner of his lips. I smiled.

                “Yes, sir.” He stacked his papers together, placed them in a folder then looked up at me again.

                “You better be off to bed, I am sure you are tired from the flight. Go let your grandma know you are home safely before you do.” I bowed again.

                “Yes grandpa, goodnight!” He nodded with a kind smile and I exited the room. I climbed the stairs and walked to the end of the hall. I knocked on what I remember to be my grandparent’s bedroom door. I pushed open the door and see my grandmother propped up in bed, a novel in her lap.

                “I am home, grandma.” I bowed. She smiled lightly.

                “You have definitely grown up. My you have gotten pretty.” My face got hot with blush.

                “Thank you, grandma.” She nodded and opened her book back to the saved page.

                “Well you run off to bed, you must be exhausted. We can catch up in the morning.”

                “Goodnight, grandma.” I bowed again and exited.

                I remembered where my room was and was pleasantly surprised to see that it had been updated to hold a seventeen your old not a seven year old. The walls were a soft blue and my bedspread looked like the galaxy. I quickly changed and washed up in the adjoining bathroom. I went over to the wardrobe and was happy to see that it wasn’t actually that bad. All of the shirts were simple but could be dressy if paired properly and the bottoms ranged from jeans to pencil skirts to dresses of different lengths. I padded over to my bed and snuggled under the covers.

                I was at the cusp of fading into unconsciousness, when my phone binged loudly from my nightstand. I lazily rolled over and plucked it from its place. My eyes finally adjusted from the blinding light of my phone screen. It was a message from Jungkook.

                Jk: Are you awake?

                Me: I am now… L

                JK: I didn’t mean to wake you..

                Me: What do you want Jungkook?

                JK: I wanted to apologize. I was a jerk.

                Me: You’re right. You were.

                JK: I said I was sorry…. L

                JK: I will make it up to you.

                Me: How?

                JK: Idk I will think of something…

                Me: You sound so convincing.

                JK: Do you have to be so cold all the time.

                I stared at the screen for a long time. I had never been called cold before. Distant, moody maybe, but never cold. I don’t know what it was about this boy but it hurt that he thought that.

                Me: I’m sorry…

                JK: Its ok.

                Me: Its not ok… You don’t even know me and you already think I’m a jerk.

                JK: I don’t know you. and I don’t think you’re a jerk.

                Me: You said I was cold. Not exactly the best impression.

                JK: it wasn’t exactly my best moment either.

                Me: Fine.

                JK: I will make it up to you. Really. I will message you tomorrow. Goodnight.

                Me: I am holding you to it. Goodnight.

                I sat there a few moments, not really focusing on anything. Maybe he wasn’t so bad. He seemed sweet. But he was a complete stranger. Why was I talking like that with a stranger for? My mind swam with confused thoughts. Finally, after what seemed like eons later, I fell asleep.

               

Jungkook’s POV

                A frustrated sigh escaped my lips. This girl was something else. I ran a hand roughly through my hair. How on earth did she switch emotions so fast? I couldn’t get her out of my head. She was cute. And her name was pretty too… Melody. It was different. Definitely not a Korean name. I tossed again in my bed.

                “Jungkook-ah! What is your problem?” Jimin Hyung asked sitting up in his bed. “You have been tossing and sighing for the last 30 minutes.” I shook my head.

                “I’m sorry Hyung. I have a lot on my mind.” I laid back down with a huff.

                “You stressed about the schedule tomorrow?” Jimin Hyung asked, genuinely interested, as always.

                “No. I don’t know. Maybe. I just need to sleep.” I covered my face with my pillow.

                “Jungkook-ah. Sleep well. It will be ok. Hwaiting!” Jimin Hyung said excitedly. Then something hit me hard in the stomach.

                “Yah!” I ripped the pillow from my head to see Jimin grinning evilly and holding his pillow lifted in the air.

                “Ease up, Jungkookie! Frowning is bad for your skin!” He then hit me again with the pillow. This time in the side of the head. I swung back and connected with his torso. A shocked look came over his face.

                “Yah! Jeon Jungkook! Did you just hit me?” My eyes got big.

                “I’m sorry Hyung!” I quickly apologized.

                “Why do you hurt me?! I thought we were special!” He wailed dramatically.

                “Hyung you are going to wake up NamJoon Hyung!” I whispered harshly. He stared me down, contemplating my words. “I’m sorry Hyung!”

                “Do you feel better?” Jimin asked concerned once again.

                “Yes Jimin Hyung. Thank you.” I bowed my head to him lightly.

                “Ok good. Let’s go to bed. I am super tired.” He plopped back into his bed and rolled to face the wall. I chuckled and laid back down, burying my face in my pillow. Her frowning face flashed against the back of my eyelids. I let out one long sigh. Who was this girl? And why did I feel so compelled to make her see me? The real me. Not the cold angry person she met at the mall. I rolled over and placed the pillow over my head. Sleep quickly found me and I fell into darkness.