Midnight Fantasy

Even If I Look Around

 "It's been a busy, busy week!" Joo Chan said as she stretched her arms in the midst of the cold weather.

"Well, at least there's no work tomorrow!" said Min Yeon.

Ri Seul pouted, "Lucky you. I still have a photoshoot for the holiday promos."

Joo Chan, Min Yeon and Ri Seul walked along the dark but busy park, taking in the view of children playing around and lovers hanging out. It's Friday, which means no office work the following day.

 Joo Chan sat on one of the higher grounds which overlooked a small pond. "I'm not excited, actually. I mean, about the weekend. There's nothing to do for me. Both of you have somewhere to go, Min Zhe's visiting his parents... I'm all alone!" She pouted for extra effect.

"Aww," Min Yeon sat beside her. "Want me to call Hyukkie and tell him to keep you company?"

"Shut up."

Ri Seul sat beside them. "What's with you and hating Hyukjae anyway? He never really did anything wrong. Well, except for those few embarassing situations he put you through."

"Exactly the point," said Joo Chan. "He just shows too much affection, it's embarassing. I can't really see myself walking around at work with him tailing me all the time. Well, he's already doing that, but it might be worse if I show interest in him as well. Plus, I really can't trust men anymore."

Ri Seul raised an eyebrow. "You can't turust men? Or are you just afraid of commitment?"

"Whatever." Joo Chan stood up and adjusted her pink scarf. Tonight was really a cold night. "I'll go ahead girls. I need my beauty rest." And with a wink, she walked alone, feeling slightly sad.

Commitment, huh? Somehow, the thought sent guilt feelings through her mind as she remembered what she had done to the guy who truly loved her.

 

He walked inside her apartment wearing his simplest clothes and asked her to come with him. It was a normal Saturday - as plain as any Saturday could get. And she had no plans of going out that day. But he was persistent. And she just could not resist his gentle smile.

So she found herself walking along the shores of their favorite beach - where they first met. It was cloudy and windy, as if rain is just a few moments away. Out of the blue, he popped the question.

"Channie-ah," he tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear and whispered closely... so close that it seemed as if he never said anything at all. "Marry me."

Instinctively, Joo Chan covered , as if to suppress anything irrational that would come out of it. She was having a mental battle.

"S-Siwon...I-"

He knew in that instant that she just wasn't ready. Maybe he had been too eager, too excited... they had been very inlove after all. He was all too willing to wait for her if she tells him so; he loved her too much, and he could not just  pressure her into marriage. But...

"I'm sorry Siwon. It's over.

 

Joo Chan bit her lip when she realized that instead of heading home, she walked right back in front of Sage Valley. This was the only place where she gets too occupied with work that she doesn't have time to think of anything else... like how she broke poor Siwon's heart.

"Oi, Channie-ah!" She closed her eyes in annoyance as she realized who called her.

"Yes, Hyukjae-sshi?"

 Hyukjae just rolled his eyes at the formality. He finished his cigarette and threw it at the bin. "What are you still doing here? Doesn't your office close at 6?"

"I... I just left something so I came back to get it," Joo Chan turned around, wanting to end the conversation soon. "Bye Hyukjae. Go back inside. Smoke breaks shouldn't take too long."

"Channie-ah, my shift finishes in an hour and a half. Have dinner with me tonight?" There was a hopeful smile on Hyukjae's face as he said it. It was almost similar to the smile Siwon had when he asked her to marry him.

 Somehow, it hurt seeing him like that. "Fine. But it's only because this is the fifth time you asked me his week!"

"YES! Finally! Meet me in Han River at 8."


 Message from: Hyukjae
Channie-ah, where are you? Are
you safe? I've been waiting for an hour now...

 

Joo Chan quickened her pace, too ashamed to have made Hyukjae wait that long. It was her fault after all.

Upon seeing her enter the dimly-lit restaurant, Hyukjae's face immediately brightened. No trace of disappointment can be found at all.

"Where have you been Channie-ah? I thought something happenned to you. You weren't answering my calls and messages..."

A guy stepped out from behind her with an apologetic look on his face. "Sorry, Hyukkie. It's my fault. We bumped into each other and I asked her to hang out with me. I didn't know she was supposed to meet up with you."

The look on Hyukjae's face was priceless - Joo Chan couldn't really decide which one is worse - the almost-teary eyes, or the frown that was beginning to form. She didn't know why... it was probably guilt... but she felt hurt seeing him that way.