A Winter to Remember

A Winter To Remember

A Winter To Remember

“Hyung are you sure you don’t want us to wait for you? The news said it was going to snow sometime tonight.” Hakyeon looked up from the stack of books he was still going through, and gave him friends a grateful smile.

“I’m sure… please go and enjoy yourselves, there is no need to stay and wait for me, when I am not even sure when I am going to be done. I promise if it snows I will catch a cab okay? Please go; have fun with one another.” Ravi, Ken, Hyuk, and Hongbin all looked at each other, before nodded reluctantly, finishing putting on their coats, and saying their goodbyes once more to their working hyung.

Waving goodbye to his young friends, Hakyeon continued to smile a little while longer, as the joy he felt from his friends concern made him very happy. Three hours later, Hakyeon finally stood, saving his work before moving to the printer to grab the papers that he needed as they printed; finally through with his long end of the term paper that was due in two days. Feeling the huge weight being lifted off his shoulders, Hakyeon gathered his things together, after placing all the books he used on the counter for the Liberians to put back as per the rules of the current twenty-four hour library he was at. Bowing goodbye to the workers still there, Hakyeon stepped outside of the building tightening his coat around himself, as he looked around noticing there were nobody outside, as well as no cabs driving by either. Sighing to himself, Hakyeon knew that he had no other choice but to walks, though he was happy that it had not started snowing yet. Humming to himself, he made his way to the bus stop hoping that he wasn’t too late for the last one; smiling to himself when he noticed someone there as well waiting Hakyeon could help but be glad that at least he technically would not be waiting alone.

As Hakyeon reached the bus stop, he bowed politely to the other person waiting there, though unfortunately the latter did not bow back, or acknowledge him. Frowning slightly, Hakyeon shrugged deciding maybe it was best he didn’t try to converse with someone who was not interested in conversing with him, but instead he also decided to give it at least one last try.

“It’s pretty cold outside huh? I heard it was supposed to snow tonight isn’t that wonderful?” When Hakyeon got nothing responded back, he frowned once again saddened by the lack of response, but was resolved that maybe the stranger just didn’t want to talk. Pulling out his phone, Hakyeon decided it would be nice to play one of the games Hyuk had put on his phone, finally having the time to actually check them out now that he was finished with all of his school work. Too immersed into his game, he failed to notice the stranger had gotten closer to him, till he was jolted out of his game induce daze by something cold that fell on his cheek. Looking up, a smile filled his face as he watched fresh snow fall from the sky. Standing up, Hakyeon laughed happily, breath puffing out in the cold, as he raised his arms feeling giddy as the played in the snow. To busy playing, Hakyeon failed to notice the car that had turned the corner quickly, speeding straight towards him, as in his joy had wondered into the now snow covered road.

Light beams flashed before him, as Hakyeon froze in fear unable to move when he finally noticed the oncoming car; squeezing his eyes shut he could heard the sound of his name being shouted, as he prepare for the pain from the impact he knew was going to happen. Suddenly he felt like he was flying, and the pain never happened only warmth he has never felt before that surrounded him. Opening his eyes, he was met with golden ones he has never seen before, with such intensity and emotion that took his breath away, it was the last thing he saw before darkness claimed him.

Hakyeon’s eyes fluttered open it was dark, and he wasn’t exactly sure where he was, but for some reason he was not afraid; eyes flickering around they landed on a dark figure by what he could was a window. Lights from the outside world letting him know that it was indeed a window, and the figure was now walking towards him in a steady, almost graceful pace. Hakyeon tried to move, but was unable to as the figures gaze met his, the same golden eyes he remembers seeing before he blackout. The conscious side of his brain was telling him that he should be afraid, but he was not; the warmth was back as the figure reached over to move some if his hair from his face gently. Wanting to talk, to say something to the being who had saved him, but nothing would form, not one word could be spoke, as the figure leaned down lips pressing into his own. Stepping back, Hakyeon watched as the figure began walking away from him, back towards the window; opening his mouth to speak he tried but failed in his attempt to get the figure to stay.


“Hyung?!” Hakyeon’s eyes shot open the light from the hospital room blinding him. Letting his eyes wonder around the room, he took in the alarmed face of his friends.

“What happened? Where am I?” Hakyeon finally managed to say, eyes still looking around the room, searching for the figure he had seen before. A voice filled his head snapping him back into reality, realizing that the reason his friends look so concerned was because he had been trying to get out of bed, and tears were streaming down his face.

“Hyung you’re in the hospital; please lay back down. It is not good for you to be trying to get up, the doctor said you had hit your head really badly.” Raising a hand, Hakyeon gently touched his head, as he let the others get him back into bed. He could feel the bandage, and realized that what they were saying must be true, but he just couldn’t remember hitting his head. All he could remember was the feeling like he was flying, the warmth that had surrounded him, and those golden eyes.

“Where is he? The man who saved me? Is he alright?” Hakyeon glanced up at Ravi, who looked at Ken with concern. It was Hongbin who finally spoke.

“Hyung there is no man… we found you on the side walk. When we had gotten back to the dorm, we checked to see if you made it home alright, but you weren’t there. We tried your cell phone, and there was no answer; that’s when we rushed to the library, but they had said you left. Ravi and Ken hyung ran to see if maybe you tried to take the bus, and they were the ones that found you.” Hakyeon looked at his friends in confusion, he remember the stranger that he had tried to talk to but failed, as well as the snow that had started to fall. He remembered getting up to play in, as well as the headlight coming straight towards him. Also he knows he remembers the feeling of flying, the warmth, and those beautiful golden eyes that he will never be able to forget.

Looking up, he takes in the bewildered looks of his friends who had heard him speak out loud, and realized that maybe he had hit his head too hard. A man with golden eyes, there was no such thing, and even if there was someone like him could never be privileged to see it. He was just a normal twenty three year old man, nothing like that would ever happen to him. Unable to stop it, a tear rolled how his cheek, shocking and concerning his friends who tried to comfort him as much as they knew how. Feeling very grateful, he sniffed and gave them one of his beautiful smiles, trying to let them know that he was alright, and that they should be concerned for him anymore.

After they all left, Hakyeon laid in his bed trying to clear his mind so he could finally get some sleep, but his thoughts would not leave him. The golden eyes and warmth still haunting his body and mind; turning slightly, Hakyeon peered over to the window, where he had not been able to take his eyes off of for more than five minutes while his friends had been there. Carefully getting up, he shakily made his way towards said window, peering through it; looking down a normally busy street was vacant due to the falling snow, and Hakyeon could not see a thing. Sighing to himself, He gave himself a little shake and closed the blinds as he turned away from the window missing the dark figure what had been peering at him in the shadows; golden eyes reflecting in the streetlight.


“Hyung are you sure you don’t want to go with us?” Ravi asked as he got up from his seat. Hakyeon was sitting at his desk with books piled high once again working on an end of the term paper.

“Yes I am sure. It is not winter this time; I will be okay if I walked home.” Hakyeon smiled up at his friends, who really seemed hesitant to go. Normally all four of them will just stay, not wanting what happened those five months ago to happen again. Hakyeon sighed quietly, before getting up pulling them all in a hug the best he could.

“I am going to be okay. You all can’t watch over me forever; I am going to be just fine.” Finally they nodded in defeat, as they gathered their things, and with one last wave to Hakyeon they all left. Shaking his head, Hakyeon continued to work on his paper till he was finally finished, printing it out, and placing it safely in his folder to be turned in when it was due; gathering all of his things, and once again placing the books on the counter, he bowed to the staff, and made his way out of the library. Looking around he not seeing any taxis, so with no other choice he made his way towards the bus stop that would not stop haunting his dreams. Flashbacks of the night of his accident still flashed in his mind, reminding him of everything; the feeling of flying, the warmth, and those golden eyes that he saw every time he closed his eyes at night.

Till now Hakyeon has been avoiding that place, not daring to go back, afraid that what had occurred was in fact a figment of his imagination caused by the trauma to his head.  

Giving his head a small shake, he adjusted his backpack on his shoulder, making his way to the bus stop to sit down. Giving some pause, he noticed a figure standing there, eyes fluttering close he tried to steady his heart not wanting to get his hopes up. Letting out a breath he wasn’t even sure he had held, Hakyeon sat down trying his best not stare at the person next to him. Instead he once again tried to make conversation with him.

“It sure is hot huh? It Kind of makes you wish for the cold to come back…” Hesitantly he tried to look towards the person next to him to see if he would answer, and what he got back shocked him.

“I like the cold.” A voice that was so soft and angelic hit Hakyeon’s ears, and he couldn’t help turning fully towards the man next to him. A shocked gasp left Hakyeon’s mouth, standing he slowly inched towards the man he continued to stare at. It was him, the same face he saw that night, and in his hospital bedroom.

“It’s… It’s you…” The man’s face furrowed in confusion, as he took a step back.

“I don’t know what you are talking about.” Hakyeon couldn’t stop himself from moving forward, his hand coming up reaching for the other’s face. His body seeking the warmth it craved day and night, tears that began falling from his eyes as he stared at the man of his dreams; however before he could actually touch him a hand came out of nowhere grasping his own, and Hakyeon was broken out of his daze as he turned to see who it was. A man he has never seen before was there, but was glaring at the man in front of him.

“Excuse me but we really have to go.” Letting go of Hakyeon’s hand, the new stranger grabbed his saviors arm pulling him away, and towards his car. Hakyeon stood frozen not sure what to do, and before he could actually react the car and he man that haunted his dreams was gone.

***** Taekwoon’s POV *****

“Are you insane?! I thought you said he erased his memory?” Ken yelled as he drove away golden eyes flashing in his anger.

“I thought I did…” was the only thing Taekwoon could say, still stunned at the human’s actions.

Taekwoon’s mind going back to day he first met him.

*** Flashback***

Taekwoon was thirsty, he has not had blood for a week, and it was messing with his mind. He knew he had to find a source or he will began to wreak havoc on the first humans he saw, so he waited there at the bus stop, knowing that it was going to snow, and there will not be many people outside; so, when one poor soul comes his way, there will not be any witnesses. As he waited there, a wonderful smell fit his senses, glancing towards the source he noticed a male coming his way, and was alone. Taekwoon was thrilled at the fact such intoxicating dinner was being presented towards him, as he usually doesn’t get to feast on such pure blood; untainted.

Noticing the male giving him a slight bow in greeting, Taekwoon decided not to return it, incase his eyes gave him away, as he knew they had turned golden in his blood lust. He could hear the small sigh of disappointment from his obvious rudeness, and lack of response as he was asked a question.

“It’s pretty cold outside huh? I heard it was supposed to snow tonight isn’t that wonderful?”

Taekwoon still didn’t answer, as the sound of human male’s voice sent a shock wave through him. In all his years he has never heard such an annoying voice, and he was glad that he would be taking such a thing out of the world. As the human began playing with his phone, Taekwoon began to make his way over to him, silently and deadly he inched his way towards the human not taking notice of the snow that began to fall. Once he was near enough, he froze and the human finally looked up, and Taekwoon was able to finally see his face fully. It was beautiful, though he wasn’t looking at him, Taekwoon could help but stare in shock at what he saw.

In all his years, he has never seen such a face, a smile that was so beautiful that it if he actually had a breath he would give it away immediately in sheer amazement. A laugh graced his ears, and his first sentiments of the humans voice being annoying was out the window. How could something so beautiful ever be annoying? How could something so pure be annoying? Taekwoon watched the human stand, as he raised his hands in the air gracefully twirling in the snow, that beautiful smile on his face, and pure joy in his eyes.

However, a sound reached his ears as turned towards the noise, his senses picking up the sound of a car turning the corner too fast. Whipping back towards the human male, his body moved on its own, running towards the human, taking him into his arms as he moved them both out of the way. Taekwoon gasped as the latter’s scent hit his nose, the feel of the human in his arms, he knew his eyes turned golden once more, and was shelled shocked when the human eyes finally met his. Expecting the latter to scream, Taekwoon braced himself for it, but it never came instead just a small gasp, and his body that went limp in his arms.

Reaching up, Taekwoon couldn’t help but to let his fingertips ran through the fringe of his human’s hair, feeling the silkiness of it.

***** End flashback****

“Taekwoon?! Are you listening to me?” Taekwoon was snapped out of his memory at Ken’s voice.

“What?” Ken turned and glared at him for a second before turning back towards the road.

“I was asking you what you are going to do. You know the law hyung, humans cannot know about our existence unless they are to be turned as well. And since his mind couldn’t be cleared, you really don’t have many options here.” Taekwoon stayed quiet as he his mind went to what had just happened, the utter shock, and tears that were present in the human male. Taekwoon couldn’t get his face out of his mind, that tearful face what begged him to tell him that it was all real.

Taekwoon ran a hand through his hair, he wasn’t sure if he could fulfill that wish.

**** Hakyeon’s POV ****

It was him, Hakyeon was sure of it; he just didn’t understand why the man would deny it. Sure his eyes weren’t golden, but the way his heart started to beat faster, and the warmth that radiated off his body, there was no way it could not have been him. It had to be, and he had to see him again; he had to know. Hakyeon raced to grab his keys, and exited his apartment. He didn’t feel the summer’s heat as he ran. In his mind all he could see was those lonely golden eyes, and he knew he had to get back to them. Finally reaching the bus stop, Hakyeon panted hard, trying to catch his breath as he looked around trying to find the man. He knew that he was there, he didn’t know how but he knew he was there.

“Please come out… I know you’re here. Come and talk to me?” Hakyeon called out to the quiet bus stop. However, nobody showed there wasn’t even a sound to be heard, and Hakyeon waited. Sitting on the bench, Hakyeon’s placed his face into his hands; tears he didn’t quite understand started to flow. He didn’t know why, but his heart ached; why his heart was already attached to this unknown man, he was sure all he knew is that he wanted to be with him, to be a part of him. As he cried he missed the flash of golden eyes that turned away from the shadows.


“Hyung are you coming?” Ravi asked as he put his jacket on, Hakyeon was back into the library finishing his last paper, finally done with everything closing the chapter on being a college student, and to start a new chapter in the world as a high school teacher. Hakyeon looked at the time, and then at his computer. Closing his eyes for a second, he nodded when he opened them.

“Yes just let me print this out, and I’ll come with you.” Standing up, he walked over to the printer, grabbing the papers he needed before going back to the desk to place his last report in his back pack to be turned in on his last class at the end of the week. Putting his jacket on and then his bag, he let out a small sigh as he looked at the clock one more time, before putting a smile on.

“I’m ready.” Hakyeon followed his friends out, as they laughed and teased each other. Once they were outside, Hakyeon looked up, snowing was falling and this time he couldn’t bring himself to smile. He could hear the joys of friends as the engaged in a small snow ball fight, as Hakyeon just stood there with his eyes closed, trying his best to remove the images of golden eyes from  his mind. He had given up on that last summer, when nobody showed after he called for the man whose name he still didn’t know.

“Hyung come on were leaving now” Opening his eyes, Hakyeon smiled and moved to follow his friends, when the wind picked up, and he froze. Turning towards the bus stop, he noticed a figure standing there by itself, but this time it looked like it was facing towards him. His body started to tremble, and before he realized it, he was sprinting towards it. The calls of his friends falling on deaf ears,  as he came to a stop in front of the figure that still hadn’t looked up from where it was glancing down.

**** Nobody’s (mine) POV ****

The two stood there for a few moments, one staring intently, and the other not really knowing how to start.

“Why didn’t you show yourself that day? I knew you were there, but you hide from me; why?” when the latter did answer, Hakyeon could feel a sob break through his voice, as he spoke again.

“Please… Please say something or I’ll leave here, and this is it. I can’t do this anymore. I feel like I am going crazy. I mean I must be, I have no idea who you are, but I just can’t seem to get you out of my head…” Hakyeon could continue as tears started to fall again, as dread and sadness fills his heart. Resigned Hakyeon began to turn away, not knowing what else to do, but he heard a voice so soft it had to be from the angels.

“Don’t go…” Hakyeon turned back, and gasp lightly as the figured had finally looked up, golden eyes staring back at him.

“You know what I am… I am not human, and the first time we met it was for me to kill you.”

“Why didn’t you?” Taekwoon was shocked; there was no fear in the other’s eyes that he just had to laugh.

“I tell you that I was going to kill you, and all you want to know is why.” Hakyeon turned back towards him fully before answering.

“Am I supposed to be scared? If I was I wouldn’t have tried to find you that day.” The two started laugh softly, before Hakyeon reached out a hand.

“My name is Cha Hakyeon; it’s finally nice to meet you.” Taekwoon stared at the hand for a couple of second, before looking up towards Hakyeon, who had the smile that he had fallen in love with.

“Hi Hakyeon… My name is Jung Taekwoon, and I am a vampire.” Pulling Hakyeon towards in him fast, Hakyeon gasped as he was suddenly pressed into Taekwoon’s chest.

Staring into each other’s eyes, Taekwoon could help running his through Hakyeon’s fringe like the first time they met, and Hakyeon wrapped an arm around Taekwoon’s neck pulling him down to meet his lips, finally able to return the kiss from the first time they met as well.

The snow falling around them as the lost themselves in each other; it became a winter to they will always remember.

**** The End ****