of dumbo ears and puppy love

exo drabble dump

", Jongdae, he's turning this way, oh god, he's looking in this direction, should I -"

"Who's looking this way? I don't see anyone Byun Baek," Jongdae looks around, before turning back to his hyperventilating best friend and shaking his head. "Stop ting yourself." He snickers to no one around him, continuing to eat his disgusting sandwich. What did the cafeteria ladies put in this this time, he thought darkly.

"Puppy-face-with-the-great--aka-physics-genius-and-amazing-drummer Park Chanyeol!" Baekhyun's eyes are positively glowing, as he shakes his best friend's arm excitedly (and not quite so gently). Jongdae chokes as he wills his arm not to fly off its socket.

"How do you even," he shakes his head again, and quietly questions himself about life choices and why he's friends with such an idiot. "say all that in one breath."

"Practice!" Baekhyun trills into his ear, and Jongdae flinches around a mouthful of sandwich. " he's coming this way I probably should -"

"Hey."

Baekhyun squeaks out a hi, ten octaves higher than usual, and Jongdae stifles a laugh as he cranes his head to get a good glimpse of whoever has the ability to so effectively shut his chatterbox of a best friend up. Wow, tall, his brain muses. Then, funny ears. Kind of like Dumbo, yeah, Jongdae nods to himself as he munches merrily on his quickly diminishing sandwich.

"Baekhyun, is it?" Tall Dude extends a hand, eyes shining with amusement at the pair. "I'm Chanyeol, I think we have chemistry together."

Jongdae has to physically restrain himself from banging his head continuously on the table as he hears Baekhyun's high-pitched, "I know, I mean, uh, it's nice to meet you." Jongdae shoots an exasperated look at his helpless best friend, who is now openly ogling at the (he can almost hear Baekhyun's dreamy sigh) fine, fine specimen of the incarnation of Dumbo with his mouth opened in an extremely unattractive manner.

"Okay, I, uh, I think i need to go," Chanyeol extracts his hand from Baekhyun's vice-like grip, and Jongdae has to applaud the guy for managing to look apologetic in doing so. "So, uh, see you around, I guess?"

Baekhyun nods enthusiastically, eyes shining and face beetroot red from the lopsided but blinding grin the tall male shoots him in return. Chanyeol lumbers off, awkwardly long and uncoordinated limbs stumbling over a bag on the floor. Jongdae and Baekhyun watch as his receding figure bumps into multiple people (and nearly crashing straight into the trash can), and sigh (for very obviously different reasons).

"I-" Baekhyun starts breathlessly, face lighting up like a Christmas tree. (Jongdae hopes fervently that it isn't one of Baekhyun's stupid ideas.) "I'm going after him." (Jongdae is proven wrong, and resorts to banging his head very gracefully onto the table as his stupid but very much in love best friend runs as fast as his short legs can carry him, out of the cafeteria and into the halls.)

(He pretents to gag, hiding a satisfied grin behind his hand, two weeks later, as he walks in on Chanyeol and Baekhyun kissing backstage after one of Chanyeol's band's gigs, before making his way to the hot dancer with the six-pack, who goes by the name of Kim Minseok.)

(word count: 539)