Perhaps... She was his true love...

Perhaps

Perhaps

Theme Song:  Tears Stole the Heart - Ailee

Perhaps Short Story Cover Picture.jpg

 

    A person appeared, one that I’m not suppose to love.  I keep telling myself, “I can’t…  I shouldn’t…” I tried to get away many times; but the more I push him away, the closer he gets…  “I believe that I love you…  You’re making me go insane.  I’m in pain, I feel like I’m going to die…  Because I fear that if I step any closer to you…  I will lose her.”  

 

~~

Narrator’s POV

    Walking with him to the park, taking a stroll.  It was a cloudy day but with a little sunshine in the middle of the street covered by clouds.  Windy but not so windy.  Cold but you don’t have to wear many layers under your jacket.  Surrounded by fallen fall leaves and beautiful trees.  People were running/exercising, others were having fun just talking, and kids were running around the playground.  She smiled at the scene.  He questioned her, “What day is it today that made you want to take a stroll?”  she looked up at him smiling, “I might not get the chance to experience this again…”  He looked around, realizing the scene.  He too, smiled.  He walked in front of her, kneeling down, grabbing her hand then blowing into it.  

    “You must be cold,”  she shook her head, “you’re hands are cold.”  she looked down and let out a small laughter.  “You’ll get to experience this again.”  she looked into his eyes; they told her a different story, but she smiled and looked away anyway.  He stood up and looked at the kids running around, laughing and enjoying their precious time like it was their last.  

 

~~

His POV

    “We are gathered together on this beautiful afternoon to share with Yeo Jin Goo and Kim Yoo Jung as they exchange vows of their everlasting love.  As Jin Goo and Yoo Jung take their vows today, we are privileged to witness the joyous love of a new family -- a family that will be nourished and nurtured through the devotion of two separate individuals growing together through the common bonds of love.”  the priest said.  So Hyun and I, were standing across from each other, looking at the beautiful bride and the handsome groom as they took each other’s hand.  

    Jin Goo, will you take Yoo Jung  to be your wife, your partner in life and your one true love? Will you cherish her friendship and love her today, tomorrow and forever? Will you trust and honor her, laugh with her and cry with her? Will you be faithful through good times and bad, in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?”  Perhaps she was truly a monster.  Perhaps she is a monster living under a pretty face.  Perhaps what people said about her was true.  Her personality was ugly which made her face even uglier.  Was that why he didn’t want to be with her?  Or did he already choose his own fate.  She’s a monster that fell in love with her best friend’s fiancee.

    “I do.”  Two words…  it only took two words…  for her world to fall apart…  

 

~~

Narrator’s POV

    He put his hand on her shoulders, making her hold it tightly, not wanting to let go.  But everyone knows, some day you have to let go; but until that day comes, she won’t release his grip.  Till the gods force her.  Her eyelids started to fall one blink at a time; her eyes closed tightly one blink at a time; her body became weaker and weaker one laughter at a time and her smile started to fade one small step at a time.  Perhaps this…  will be the end of her life…  

 

~~

 

    “Yoo Jung, will you take Jin Goo to be your husband, your partner in life and your one true love? Will you cherish his friendship and love him today, tomorrow and forever? Will you trust and honor him, laugh with him and cry with him? Will you be faithful through good times and bad, in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?”  She smiled brightly.

    “I do.”  she responded as expected.  They exchanged rings and walked down the aisle, before getting into the limo she turned around and hugged her best friend.

 

~~

Narrator's POV

“Samchon, tell us more!”  the old man chuckled and nodded.

 

~~

 

His POV    
    So Hyun lived day by day wondering what they were doing.  She lived day by day wondering how he was doing.  Her love for him was something she just couldn’t forget.  She tried so hard to forget about him but the more she tried the more she was hurting herself even more.  After the wedding day, So Hyun had to get therapy.  She went into depression and had all kinds of anxiety.  In order to keep her best friend, she lies.  In order for the people she loved to not worry about her, she lies.  She tells everyone she’s fine, telling lie after lie.

 

~~

 

    She bumped into Yoo Jung and Jin Goo.  “Oh, So Hyun-a…”  Yoo Jung called out excitedly.  She walked up to So Hyun and hugged her, “So Hyun-ah…  Gwenchana? (Are you okay?)  You got skinnier.”  she commented.  

    “Gwenchana… (I’m okay.)”  So Hyun answered, smiling.  Jin Goo walked up to So Hyun and gave her a hug.  Making her heart skip a beat but she suddenly pushed him away, “I have to go.”  she turned around and walked away.  Tears in her eyes.  

 

~~

 

    One day…  Her depression caught up to her and she took her own life.  After her death, things fell apart.  Yoo Jung and Jin Goo got a divorced, her mother became mentally ill, her family separated, Yoo Jung left for the states but Jin Goo stayed.  He would visit her grave every day, his heart ached every day.  He loved her.  Yeo Jin Goo loved Kim So Hyun before he loved Kim Yoo Jung.  But because of his family, he couldn’t be with So Hyun…  He thought, he would only bring her sadness and madness.  So he let go of her and met Yoo Jung, at first he didn’t know they were best friends so he started to replace So Hyun with Yoo Jung.  His parents suddenly started to rush their engagement out of the blue, but to only find out that it was because Yoo Jung and So Hyun were best friends.  Yoo Jung isn’t a bad person, she was nice, sweet, loving, and caring.  So Hyun was almost similar to Yoo Jung.  She was nice and caring but she was also tough and brave.  Maybe that’s why he fell in love with her in the first place.  

    Yeo Jin Goo grew old; he didn’t fall in love and he didn’t try to be with anyone.  And still, he visited So Hyun everyday of his life.  But sadly, his life didn’t last very long; he died at the age 60 on So Hyun’s birthday.  When Yoo Jung heard the news, she came back down and visited his grave.  She too, did not get married.  She was 67 when she passed away.  

    “Kim So Hyun…”  I looked at the grave that was in front of me and smiled, “Saranghaeyo…  (I love you…)”  Perhaps a story can only be told by those who were there to witness their love one love another.  

 

The END