III

LOVE, COME TO ME

As she watched him stride over to the chest of drawers, Krystal blushed even deeper, aware that underneath the covers she was wearing nothing but her corset cover and pantalets. He must have put them back on her last night after they had dried. It was a disturbing thought, that he was the only man who had ever seen her . All sorts of thoughts occured to her, thoughts that she should have put away immediately, but she couldn't help wondering what Amber had thought of her looks. In contrast to the fashionable ideal, she was dark-haired and petite. Ever since the age og sixteen, her figure had taken on a generously curved shape that made her appear refined than she really was. Still, she had been told often that she was pleasing to the eye. Did Amber Liu think she was?

Impassively Amber laid a soft white shirt and a pair of woolen socks across her knees, then turned his back. Since it didn't appear that he was going to leave, she blushed deeply and dressed with record haste. Krystal discovered as she slid her arms into the silken garment that it had the same scent she had noticed about him before---clean and fresh, faintly dry. Wincing at the bruised and battered feel of her body, she pulled her legs out from under the covers and began pulling on the socks. Risking a glance upwards, Krystal saw that Amber had turned his head to the side, just enough to glance at her out of the corner of his eye. Instantly he moved his eyes back to the wall and lifted his shoulders in a slight shrug. She should have been terribly offended by his sneaky glance, as well as afraid and mistrustful of him. Strangely, her instincts told her not to be.

"Mr. Liu." she said crisply, "you're not behaving like a gentleman."

"Miss Krystal Jung." he replied over his shoulder. "A long time ago I had high hopes of becoming a gentleman. I was raised to be one. Unfortunately, the events of the past few years forced me to make a choice. . .between remaining a gentleman or staying alive. War is the best way there is to weed out the gentlemen. . .very few of them manage to survive it. The scoundrels, on the other hand---"

"Oh, stop it!" she cried, staring at him in a mixture of horror and confusion, wondering if he was actually sincere. "There are some things you shouldn't joke about."

"I agree. However, I don't think war is one of them. Or are you of the opinion that it should be remembered as a righteous undertaking? If so, you're one of many. The winning side always remembers war fondly, and justifies it quite adeptly."

She didn't know what to think of him. Warily she followed him to the second-floor bathroom, taking care not to touch him, even accidentally. The oblong bathtub was shining clean, made of tinned iron. In the corner a water closet stood like a stalwart sentinel. How cunning and modern the little room was!

"I would like to take a bath," Krystal said, eyeing the brass faucets that glistened at her invitingly.

"Not while you have a fever."

"The house is warm, and I feel just f---"

"In five minutes you'll be as weak as a baby, and I doubt you'd like it if i had to charge in here and save you from drowning. . . although I certainly wouldn't mind rescuing you from your bath---"

"I'm not going to take a bath," Krystal informed him shortly, closing the door in his face. What a big, shameless scamp he was. It was indecent of him to as he just had, even more reprehensible than undressing her last night. After all, he had undressed her in order to keep her from getting pneumonia, but he merely because. . .because he was a devil!

After relieving her more urgent needs, she splashed water on her face and smoothed her long hair with her hands. It didn't take long for her to discover that Amber had been right, she was exhausted. She opened the door, and he appeared in the hall immediately. Flashing brown eyes swept over her,taking in the sight of her feet in the floppy socks, the lace trim of her pantalets, the ridiculous length of his shirt on her.

"Please don't look at me like that," Krystal murmured. "I know I'm a sight."

"Before I met you, I'd heard you were the prettiest girl in town. I had no idea you would be one of the most beautiful women I'd ever seen."

Self-consciously she lowered her eyes, disliking his empty flattery. "You're an outrageous liar."

The comment would have frozen Aiden up, would have made him coldly quiet. But Amber Liu merely grinned. "I might stretch the truth about some things, yes. About you, no." He followed her back to the bedroom with a long and indolent stride. She could feel his eyes on her back, a fact that hurried her pace considerably.

"I'm going to sleep now---" she began.

"Not until after I bring you something to eat."

"I'm not hungry."

"There are some books by the bed that you might look through while i fix breakfast."

There was no arguing with him. Resignedly Krystal got into bed, wrapping her arms about her middle and staring at him with hazel cat eyes as he tucked the covers around her. "Thank you, but there's no need for you to---"

"In some ways you remind me of the women I used to know in ia." Amber paused after straightening the quilt, his brown eyes glowing with amusement. "Sweet, And maybe a little spoiled. . .and so very well behaved. Are you really as prim and proper as you pretend to be, Krystal?"

She floundered for a response to his disrespectful question. Finding none, she settled for giving him a glaring stare. He chuckled and left the room, not at all bothered by her disdain.

 

The touch of fever was gone after a day's of sleep, but still Amber wouldn't let her get out of bed. He brought soup and bread up to her for dinner. He sat in the chair by the bed while she ate, crossing his well-muscled legs in front of him and studying the scuffed surface of his blunt-toed boots. "You said you came back two days early?"

"Yes." Krystal replied in between spoonfuls of delicious broth. "But Father doesn't know that, and he won't be expecting me until the day after tomorrow."

"Good. The train won't be running until then anyway. I'll take you home and we'll say that I was driving by as you were walking home from the depot---what about your luggage?"

"I lost my bag when. . .when I fell in. I'll make up some story about leaving it on the train." She sighed despondently. "Now it's the bottom of the river."

"Don't frown so much, princess. Why don't they teach the women up here to smile more?"

"We're raised to economize." she said, and her eyes sparkled as she laughed. "We don't waste our smiles on just anything."

"Or anyone." Amber added, staring at her intently. He seemed to be fascinated by the sight of her as she bent her attention once more to her dinner tray. "Why did you decide to come back early?"

Krystal looked up at him quickly, full. In just a fraction of a second his mood had changed. Although his question was casual, the interest in his eyes was not, and the new realization made it difficult for her to swallow. There were several ways in which he could make this entire situation very difficult. She just hoped he wasn't the type to take advantage.

"I had to apologize to someone." she said shortly.

"Aiden Lee?"

"Yes. I had an argument with him, and then I left to stay with some relatives in Connecticut without making up to him." How strange. After thinking about him for days without end, she had actually forgotten about Aiden for the last hour or two. "I just had to tell him I was sorry for arguing with him, and I couldn't wait."

"It takes two to argue. Why don't you wait for him to apologize first?"

"Oh, but it's only fair that I apologize first. I've always been the one to start the arguments. Ever since we were children."

"Oh. I should have guessed that." Amber said, grinning at her. "We'll i guess it wouldn't take long for him to forgive you for just about anything. Not if you put those cat eyes of yours to good use."

"It takes a few days." Krystal said gravely. "He's a very serious man. Things mean a lot to him. But after we talk and I tell him I'm sorry, and we come to an understanding, i know he's forgiven me when he reaches over and takes my hand, and I know that in a day or two he'll have forgotten all about---"

"Takes your hand?" Amber seemed to be amazed. "That kind of making up is hardly worth the trouble of getting into an argument. What exactly is it that you two fight about?"

"That's none of your business." Krystal said, affronted by his criticism of her relationship with Aiden. "If you'd ever meet Aiden, you would understand what an honorable man he is. He's quiet and thoughtful, and that means he cares far more deeply than someone who is loud and brags about his own feelings!

"Yes, yes I know. . . still water runs deep. Tell me, are you planning on getting married soon?"

"Yes. Soon. We haven't set the date yet, but we've been engaged for three years, and we bopth agree that it's time for--"

"Three years? You've been engaged since the war ended?"

"You don't have to repeat everything I say!"

"Incredible." Amber muttered. "I'll say one thing. You Northerners are a different breed, all right. Don't know which is worse, him wanting to wait that long or you being willing to wait."

"We're waiting until Aiden has enough money to buy a nice house and support a family. He doesn't like to leave things up to chance. He wants the best for me."

"He's not afraid some other man will come along and take you for himself?"

"No man could." Her voice rang with sincerity. "No one could ever take me from Aiden."

"I'm sure both you and he believe that. . .but the odds don't look good on it, not when you've been dragging it out for three--"

"I'm finished with this suop." Krystal said sharply, handing the tray to him. "You may take it now."

He closed his mouth and took the tray from her, his eyes b with quiet laughter. Just before he left the room, he glanced at her and winked, and Krystal realized ruefully that he had been enjoying himself immensely at her expense, teasing her and laughing at her stiff-backed pride.