Closing the Space Between

Closing the Space Between

Another day, another schedule.

 

“You know,” muttered Ken from his stool, “I’d be a lot easier to apply the makeup if you sat in my lap… that way you wouldn’t have to bend over and block your source of light and all of that and-”

 

“Good idea” you said to quiet his inevitable rambling. He could talk forever… not that you minded though.

 

After gathering an eyeshadow palette and brush, you straddled Ken in the chastest way possible. As if you were not sitting in the main vocalist of VIXX’s lap, you resumed your work and started to apply the navy blue color to his eyelids.

 

It was so difficult to control your breathing in this moment. He was more perfect up close. You had even caught yourself staring as you paused in your work; sending the eyeshadow brush tumbling onto the floor.

 

It was then that Ken had slowly opened his eyes. You tried to resist it, but his warm, brown eyes captivated you; they pulled you into his gaze. The ends of his full lips perked up into a welcoming smile as he wrapped his arms around your waist.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hello there (Y/N),” he giggled as if this was the most casual thing in the world.

 

You were both so close that you had felt his adorable giggle vibrate in his chest. In the peaceful moment of silence, his hands had left your waist to roam the small of your back. In response, you s your arms around his neck; none of you daring to break eye contact.

 

“Enjoying the view?” you teased, raising an eyebrow.

 

 

“Well…,” he teased with a silly, disgusted expression.

 

At that instant, you balled up your fists and started playfully punching him for his rude remark. How could he possibly not feel anything at all? Was this normal behavior? Surely friends don’t act this way…

 

“Five minutes! Five minutes until stage time!” bellowed your manager from the next room over. Her loud, booming voice broke the sincerity of the moment.

 

You quickly hopped off of Ken’s lap and touched up his hair once more. He thanked you and reluctantly turned to go backstage. Coming your way, with a sense of urgency, was Ravi with a concerned half-smile.

 

“Talk later? Promise?” he whispered. Uh-oh, you knew what this was about.

 

“Sure, no problem,” you gave him a hug and an encouraging little smack on the , “Good luck!”

 

~

Now usually, you’d be the first one lined up to watch VIXX perform on the monitors, but today, you settled for sulking back in the very chair Ken was in moments ago. You sighed for the umpteenth time.

 

Thoughts of Ken and his uncalled for behaviors swirled around in your mind. The memory of you sitting in his lap was stuck on replay. And Ravi with that concerned look upon his face. Ravi is… he is the equivalent of Oprah, Dr. Phil, and every therapist in the world combined to you. You were so extremely thankful to have him in your life. He’s what cliché people call your “rock.”

 

Anyways, if Ravi wanted to talk to you about Ken, than you have no idea of what to expect. Normally, you’d both talk about family matters and being homesick and other daily problems; except for boys.

 

Of course he’d tease and ask you if there was anyone you were interested in, but the answer would always be an honest “no.” Once, Ravi insisted that you wouldn’t tell him because it was him that you liked. It took awhile to convince him and his ego otherwise. But if he asked you now, you couldn’t lie, and you’d have to confess that you have to the hots for his bandmate.

 

All of this was so overwhelming, but somehow, you managed to fall asleep to the sound of the bass booming from VIXX’s new comeback song, “Chained Up.”

 

~

“It’s obvious that he likes you,” Ravi assured you, “(Y/N), don’t over think it.”

 

At that, you let an exaggerated sigh of helplessness. Ravi was right; like always. You pulled your knees into your chest and held you head in your hands upon the couch in his dorm. If Ken liked you, he seemed really calm about it all. Why are boys so confusing?

 

“Girls are just as confusing; if not more (Y/N)”

 

“Huh? Oh… I must’ve been thinking out loud again,” unconsciously, you pinched the bridge of your nose, “I gotta stop doing that. I’m gonna be in serious trouble one day for it.”

 

Ravi giggled which made you play back the sound of Ken’s giggle in your mind for the hundredth time. You longed to feel his laughter echo inside of his taut chest again. A gloomy groan escaped from deep inside of you just as your eyes were getting watery. No one has ever made you feel so happy and sad at the same time before. To be honest with yourself, the power Ken nonchalantly had over you terrified you.

 

At the sight of you so worn out over his bandmate, Ravi pulled you into a much needed hug.

 

“You really like him, don’t you (Y/N)?” he whispered.

 

Like a child, you nodded your head and pulled Ravi impossibly closer to you. He really does give the best hugs, you thought.

 

~

“Hold still,” you laughed, your hand a little shaky, “You’re doing this on purpose!”

 

Ken did his famous aegyo pout and in his defense, it was the perfect tactic to make you forget about his ability to annoy you when applying his makeup.

 

“Maybe if you use the ‘sit on my lap please’ technique I taught you yesterday, we wouldn’t have this problem” he slyly retorted.

 

As you straddled him, you said, “You know, if you ever decide to put a patent on this technique, you’re gonna have come up with a better, more appropriate name for it.”

You’re joke made both Ken and Ravi, who was reading as he waited for his turn for makeup, erupt into a joyful laughter. Secretly, Ravi was also here for support as you planned to let Ken know how you feel today.

 

Just like yesterday, Ken rested his hands upon your hips and it felt like electricity was racing up your spine. This feeling pretty much confirmed that he was the one for you. On cue, Ravi gave you a little encouraging wink and slowly hid behind his book. Go time.

 

“Ken-”

 

“(Y/N)-” you both said at the time.

 

“You go first” you said.

 

“No, you”

 

“I insist” replied Ken, pulling you closer for emphasis.

 

“Well, I… nevermind,” you of course were at a loss for words in this moment, but found the strength in Ravi to continue,”I just wanted to let you know that… I, uh, well Ireallylikeyouandthinkthatwewouldbereallygoodtogetherandivewantedtotellyouforsolong-”

 

“Whoa, slow down there (Y/N),” Ken said, his eyes wide, “I can’t understand a word you’re saying.” Ravi let out a little chuckle and received a deadly glance from you in response. You’ll have to get him back for that later on.

 

“I said that I… I really like you and I believe that we could be happy together,” instead of looking him in his captivating eyes, you settled for playing with the collar upon his blazer, “but, I understand if you don’t feel the same way...”

 

Ken took your hands in his and placed them around his neck. He then pulled you into a hug that rivaled Ravi’s hugs. His warmth immediately soothed your nerves. He sighed and began to whisper to you.

 

“(Y/N), my dear (Y/N), who in their right mind wouldn’t want to be with you?,” he pulled away and gave you his biggest, brightest smile, “I feel like the luckiest guy in the world right now.”

 

You replied to him with a smile equally as big and goofy. You couldn’t believe that this was actually happening to you. You gave Ravi a thumbs up and then he stood up.

 

 

“Well if you guys don’t need anymore of my spot-on matching making services, I’ll be going now,” he closed the door slowly behind him as he laughed at his own remark.

 

As a result, both you and Ken gave each other puzzled looks.

 

“You asked Ravi about us?” you questioned before Ken could.

 

“Yeah, that’s what I was gonna say before you confessed. He told me that this would be the perfect time to tell you about how I’ve been feeling towards you.”

 

“Hmm… you know what that means”

 

“We’re gonna set Ravi up with his dream girl?” Ken said with bright eyes. He was always so enthusiastic.

 

You nodded in response. After, Ken grabbed your hand and rushed you both out the door to wherever Ravi had gone off to. You both must’ve looked crazy racing down the hallways, checking in all of the rooms. In the midst of your pursuit however, Ken had halted abruptly.

 

“Wait,” he said quickly before he pulled you in for a blissful kiss. He placed his soft hands upon your reddening cheeks and you tiptoed to reach his lips. For a moment, you were the only two people that mattered. This was just what you needed to feel alive.

 

“Why did you-”

 

“Just because I can now” he interrupted with a smug grin.

 

Of course. Typical Ken.


 

….Your typical Ken.



The End.