Chapter 1

Fall For You

NOTE: be aware that being a pureblood angel means that you are created by God specifically to be an agel (you're born in Heaven) instead of being a human that is later given wings. also, you may think that what jinyoung and jaebum do would be considered bad and that "they can't because they're angels, right?" eh, not really. angels are expected to be good, but have free will. it's not like they only ever act good becuase of their dna. they have the choice and most stick to the rules...and didn't i say i wouldnt update till later? okay, i'm done.

 

 

 

 

“Can anyone tell me what is the most significant change that occurs to a human once they are granted a pair of wings?”

 

Looking around the room and eyeing her fairly attentive students, Mrs. Lee notices one particular student who seems to be too busy staring out the window to have even heard her question. “Excuse me, Park Jinyoung? Would you mind paying attention and perhaps answer the question I have just addressed to the class?”

 

While continuing to look out the window, Jinyoung sighed before swiftly answering the woman’s question, “When a human is granted a pair of wings, all memories from their time on Earth are lost. They can’t recall any aspect of their previous life…”

 

A bit taken aback by the boy’s nonchalant response, Mrs. Lee simply nods her head and says, “That’s correct. Thank you, Jinyoung…”, before turning back towards the blackboard and writing down more notes for the class to follow.

 

Park Jinyoung is one of the very few pureblood angels in heaven and is greatly respected by his peers. He is one of their All Mighty’s creations and was born with a true angelic appearance. His fair skin, soft lips, and smooth, black hair were ideal by Heavens standards and girls and boys alike have approached him to compliment his features.

 

Some may call him strange, but Jinyoung has always had an extreme curiosity about Earth and the humans living there. So much so, that he’s currently majoring in Human Studies at university. Ever since he can remember, Jinyoung has been fascinated with the world below him, feeling the need to know more about the life lived by humans. His best friend Jaebum, another pureblood angel, finds it a bit odd considering his upbringing, but really doesn’t care otherwise.

 

“Professor Lee is so annoying, man. She knows that you’re the top student in this class, but decides to pick on you anyway…”

 

Looking over to the boy sitting next to him, Jinyoung gives his friend Jaebum an appreciative smile before saying, “I know, but I really don’t mind. It’s not like I ever don’t know the answer.”

 

“Yeah, that’s true. You’re such a nerd when it comes to humans.” says Jaebum while poking his friend in the cheek.

 

“Quit it, Jae.” says Jinyoung as he shoos Jaebum’s finger away.

 

“But really, what’s so interesting about humans anyway? Personally, I think they’re kinda boring…”

 

Turning his head to look back out the window, Jinyoung thinks to himself why exactly he finds them to be so fascinating. Well, for one, their All Mighty had created them. That alone had caught Jinyoung’s interest since he as well was born from His touch. Jinyoung is also curious about the way they act and how they aren’t born with the knowledge of right and wrong. It’s something that they grow up learning, often through trial and error. Being an angel, and a pureblood at that, Jinyoung has only ever known right. Sure, he’s been taught about the seven deadly sins, but he’s never once had the urge to commit one. He’s too pure of a creation.

 

He could name a million reasons, but it’s really the entirety of human life that Jinyoung is interested in. “Just they’re existence, really. They’re unique.”

 

“Yeah, I guess…”

 

“Hey, do you mind meeting up with me later tonight? Like, around 8:00?” asked Jinyoung as he scribbled down some notes in his notebook.

 

“Why, what’s up?”

 

“No reason, just promise me you’ll come…”

 

Giving his friend a skeptical look, Jaebum pouts his lips before agreeing to meet with him and turning his head towards the front of the class. Something about the way Jinyoung had said ‘just promise me you’ll come” has him feeling a tad bit concerned. Being the kind of angel he is, Jinyoung has always been one to stick to the rules, never bothering to do something even remotely wrong. That being said, Jaebum has also noticed his friends’ extreme need to explore, whether it be around heaven or dare he say it, Earth. Honestly, Jaebum is surprised that Jinyoung hasn’t been sent to their All Mighty for a talking to. Being a pureblood usually means doing everything the ideal angel does, for example, learning prayers or preaching kindness, but Jinyoung couldn’t care less about those things. That’s not to say that Jinyoung is a bad angel, not at all. He does his part and stays pure, but it’s the fact that the boy seems more fit for an Earthly life, rather than a Heavenly one that worries Jaebum at times. Jaebum has started to think that it’s only a matter of time before Jinyoung lets his curiosity get the best of him.

 

Once class had ended, Jinyoung and Jaebum make their way down the blinding white halls of their university. In Heaven, everything is either white, gold, or transparent and if Jinyoung were to be honest with himself, he would say that it’s rather boring. The only color he sees up here is pink, the result of a blush. He’s never really seen red, because bleeding doesn’t exist where he’s from. He’s never really seen green, because plants can’t grow through the clouds. Truthfully, Jinyoung finds Heaven to be a less than amazing place, although he would never voice that opinion.

 

As the two boys continued on their way home, strolling past the many identical homes and shops, they noticed that the giant gates to Heaven were open.

 

“Someone must have just arrived.” commented Jaebum as he tried to spot the newcomer through the crowd of people milling about in the main square.

 

Craning his neck in an attempt to see who has received their wings, Jinyoung caught sight of an older woman, smiling brightly as she stepped through the large golden gates. Her wings were still rather transparent, as they are when you first arrive, but they were stunning nonetheless.

 

“Good for her. I love seeing newcomers arrive with a smile.” said Jaebum before directing his attention to a quiet Jinyoung.

 

Rather than looking pleased, his friend had an almost somber look on his face. “You okay, Jinyoung?”

 

Sighing at the question, Jinyoung gave one last look at the seemingly happy woman before saying, “Don’t you think it’s sad that they can’t remember anything when they get here?”

 

Giving his friend a sympathetic smile, Jaebum threw an arm around Jinyoung’s shoulders. “C’mon, Jinyoung. You know that it’s always been like this. There’s no point in getting upset over it.”

 

“I know, but I guess it’s just a bit depressing. They live a much more extravagant life than we do. I’d be disappointed if I couldn’t remember all of the things I’d experienced…”

 

“Well yeah, but when they arrive it’s like they never even lived a previous life. So to them, it’s not sad. It’s just like it never even happened.” explained Jaebum, doing his best to put it lightly.

 

“It’s sad, Jae. To me, at least.” said Jinyoung as he looked out through the now closing gates of Heaven with a faraway look in his eyes.

 

“Jinyoung, do you ever think that you were meant to be on Earth, rather than in Heaven?”

 

Surprised by the sudden question, Jinyoung just looked at his friend with wide, unsure eyes. “W-what do you mean…”

 

“You know what I mean. That life on Earth would suit you better.”

 

Taking in his friend’s words, Jinyoung began to feel guilty. ‘He must have caught on…’ thought Jinyoung as he meets Jaebum’s gaze.

 

“Jae, I-I really don’t—”

 

“You’re planning on leaving tonight, aren’t you…”

 

Feeling his heart drop at his friend’s accurate observation, Jinyoung bites his lip as he feels his eyes begin to water.

 

“Oh, c’mon Jinyoung. Don’t cry in front of me.” said Jaebum as he throws an arm over his friend’s shoulders and leads them to sit by an unoccupied fountain.

 

“I-I’m so sorry, Jae! I just didn’t know how to tell you! The guilt has been eating me alive…” admits Jinyoung as he cries into his friends shoulder.

 

After taking a deep breath to calm himself, Jaebum says, “It’s alright, really. I was honestly expecting this to happen sooner or later…”

 

Looking up at his friend, Jinyoung says, “R-really? You knew?”

 

“Well, yeah. It’s not everyday you meet an angel that has an obsession with Earth and that doesn’t enjoy praying. You’re really something else…”

 

“I’m sorry, Jaebum. I’m seriously so—”

 

“Really, Jinyoung. It’s okay. I’m not mad. Well, maybe a little bit considering the fact you’ll be leaving me here, but I’ll get over it.” said Jaebum while he continued to rub circles onto his friends back.

 

“You can come with me! Jae we can—”

 

“Not gonna happen. You and I both know that the second you pass over the edge of Heaven, you’ll have officials right on your tail. The least I can do stall them a bit.”

 

“You would do that? B-but how?”

 

“Well, my dad is the commanding officer. I can grab a set of his keys and lock the main door to the station. That will give you at least a ten minute head start…”

 

Eyes widening at his friends daring suggestion, Jinyoung throws his arms around the boy and gives him a tight hug before pulling away to look Jaebum in the eye. “I couldn’t have been blessed with a more amazing friend…”

 

“Yeah, yeah. You’re welcome. Just promise me that you’ll be careful. It’s dangerous down there. You could get hurt, or even worse. The last angel to escape was on Earth for no more than forty-eight hours before he was hit by a car and killed. I need you to promise me, Jinyoung.” said Jaebum as he held out his pinky finger.

 

Feeling his eyes beginning to water again, Jinyoung hooked their pinkies and promised that he’d be careful.

 

“I’m letting you do this because I know how much you hate it here, but I can’t help but worry. You of all people must know that when you land on Earth’s surface, you become susceptible to every sin, temptation, danger, and human emotion there is. You’ve never experienced anything other than good and right. I’m afraid that once you’re exposed something sinful, you’ll get into something you weren’t planning on…”

 

“Jae, I’m glad that you care so much about me, but I’ll be fine. I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and I’ve studied human behavior long enough to know when something is bad or wrong. I’ll be okay.” said Jinyoung while giving his friends hand a squeeze.

 

Sighing at his friend’s reassurance, Jaebum gave Jinyoung a small smile before standing up and grabbing his bag. “So where should I meet you later?”

 

Smiling at the question, Jinyoung said, “At the lake near my house. There’s a missing bar in the fence over there.”

 

“Man, you really planned this out…”

 

 

˚  ₊  *  ❀   ✧  ‧₊   ✿   ₊‧  ✧   ❀  *  ₊  ˚ 

 

 

Thanks to cloudless sky, the sun was shining down brightly onto the many plants of the small garden Mark had stumbled upon. Turning the dial to focus his camera on the colorful flowers before him, Mark's just about ready to take the photo when he hears a familiar shout of his name.

 

“Mark!”

 

Sighing at the distraction, Mark puts down his camera. “Hey Jackson.”

 

“Taking more girly photos?”

 

“Shut up. It’s for an assignment.” said Mark as he rolled his eyes at his best friend.

 

“I’m just messing with you, man. Hey, wanna get lunch with Bam Bam and I?”

 

Looking down at his watch, Mark see’s that it’s already 1:50. “Oh , I have work in an hour, I can’t. Sorry Jackson.”

 

“Nah, it’s okay. I had a feeling you were working today, but thought I’d ask anyway.”

 

“I’m free tomorrow, though.”

 

“Alright! Tomorrow it is!” said Jackson before giving his friend a bright smile.

 

“Hey, do you mind grabbing my stuff off the bench while I get this shot? I’m in a bit of a rush now…” asked Mark with pleading eyes.

 

“Yeah, yeah. Take your precious photo.” said Jackson before making his way toward the bench where Marks belongings are.

 

Smiling at his friend’s help, Mark returned to his original squatting position and lines up his camera. After waiting for the small breeze to pass, Mark snaps a few photos. Mark is a photography major at one of the best art schools in Seoul. Ever since he was little, Mark has always shown interest in photography, constantly seeking photo opportunities no matter where he is. Pulling the camera away from his face, Mark examines the photos he took and smiles when he sees the vibrant colors. With the warms tones of blue, pink, and orange, this photo will surely get him a good grade.

 

“Thanks Jackson.” says Mark as sets the Canon T6i in his camera bag. He had received the high-end camera as a gift from his grandparents last Christmas. Mark had insisted that they return it, feeling that it was too nice of a gift, but of course his grandparents were having none of it. They loved their grandson and they had wanted to give him something special.

 

Mark’s parents had died in a car accident when he was only five and from that point on, his grandparents had raised him. That being said, it’s only natural that they would want to spoil the poor child as much as they can. They had even pitched in when Mark wanted to get his own apartment after his freshman year of college.

 

“Hey, have you ever thought of being part of an exhibition?” asked Jackson, honestly curious.

 

Pursing his lips at the thought, Mark says, “I don’t know. Maybe one day…”

 

“Well, I think you should. Your photos are really good, Mark. And who knows, maybe some big agency will see your stuff and want to recruit you.” Jackson has known Mark since they were in elementary school and he knows better than anyone that his friend has a serious talent when it comes to photography.

 

Laughing at his friend’s optimism, Mark thanks him before saying, “We’ll see. Like I said, maybe one day.”

 

“Alright. Well, I’ll see you tomorrow buddy. Good luck at work!” shouted Jackson as waved goodbye before strutting down the sidewalk towards the dining hall.

 

Shaking his head at his friend’s constant upbeat attitude, Mark throws his bag over his shoulder before turning in the opposite direction. Mark works part time at the local middle school as an assistant to the photography professor. The school has a photography club that meets after classes and they had put up flyers around his university a few months ago asking for an assistant. Naturally, Mark had called them right away, loving both kids and photography, plus it looked good on his résumé.

 

After getting on the bus and walking a few blocks, Mark approaches the middle school that is now bustling with kids and after school activities.

 

“Mark oppa!”

 

Turning towards the familiar voice, Mark smiles when he sees Mina, a young girl in the photography club, running towards him. The girl is only in 6th grade, but she really has a flair for photography. She had clicked with Mark the moment they had started talking and Mark has begun to think of her as a little sister.

 

“How was your day, Mina? Did you do well in class?” asked Mark as he holds the girls hand while she leads him through the school and towards the art room.

 

“Classes are boring, but you’re here now so my day is much better!”

 

Mark laughed at the adorable response and greeted the other young students when he entered the art room used for their photography club. “Hey everyone!” said Mark as he placed his bag on one of the desks.

 

“Hi Mark hyung!” the kids greeted with big smiles.

 

“Perfect timing Mark, we were just getting our cameras ready.” said Mr. Kim, the photography professor here at the middle school.

 

“We’ll be focusing on shadows today. The table that’s been placed in the middle of the room has a pile of objects on it and when I turn on the spotlight, I want you guys to move everything around and find some cool shadows. Then, of course, I want you take a few photos.” said Mr. Kim before making his way over to the light switch and dimming the overhead light.

 

All of the kids rushed over to the table and began moving things around and exploring how the light hits the objects. Mark loved moments like this; seeing the kids learn something new right before his eyes.

 

“Mark hyung, can you help me move this?” asked one of the students.

 

Getting up from his seat, Mark made his way over to help the student move a stack of old books. “Is this better?” asked Mark.

 

“A bit more to the left, please.”

 

Smiling at the student’s specific request, Mark did as he said before looking at the pile of junk on the table and deciding to take a few pictures himself. Assignments like this remind him of when he was in middle school, just learning the basics, so he finds it refreshing.

 

After about two hours of assisting students and critiquing their photo’s, Mr. Kim turned the lights back on and the children were dismissed.

 

“Bye Mark oppa! I’ll see you next week!”

 

“Bye Mina!” said Mark as he watched the girl leave the classroom to meet her mom outside.

 

“Hey Mark, do you mind staying here a bit longer? I know you had volunteered to help with the schools art fair and I just want to go over a few things.” said Mr. Kim as he continued to clean up around the room.

 

Making his way over to the big table in the middle of the room, Mark began taking the objects off and putting them in their rightful places. “Yeah, that’s okay. I have all night if you need.”

 

“Thank you, Mark. I just want to make sure we’re clear on the preparations.”

 

“The fair is next Sunday, right?”

 

“Yes, that’s correct. We’re planning on 12:00 at the local park downtown. It should be really fun for the kids.” said Mr. Kim, smiling at the thought.

 

When Mark had first heard about the art fair, he had volunteered right away. He likes stuff like this, even though he is incredibly shy. Since he had lost his parents at a young age, Mark likes to see kids showing off their hard work to ones who love them most.

 

After discussing the plans for the art fair and writing down almost four pages of notes on the topic, Mark was set free a little after 6:00. Once off of the school grounds, Mark put in his headphones and made his way to the bus stop. He still needed to visit the grocery store and pick up a few things for dinner, but if the bus arrives on time then he shouldn’t be home too late. Today is Friday, but Mark likes to cook his meals as often as he can, so getting home on time was something that he relied on.

 

Once the bus had arrived, Mark stood up and grabbed his bag before getting on and finding a seat near the back. After getting situated, Mark pulled out a notepad and pen from his backpack and began planning his grocery list.

 

 

 

 

A/N: i tried to explain things clearly, but if something is confusing, let me know in the comments and i'll reply. hope this is good for a first chapter. also, this is unedited, but whatever...and yeah i know it ends a bit ubruptly, but anything else i wanted to add would go better in the next chapter. thanks!