1.

best thing i never had

Donghae chucked a piece of chalk at the lad leaning against the brown corridors of the B wing. 

"Does it make sense for the most successful kid in school to be standing here, wiping down desks for detention?" 

The lad chuckled that snarky chuckle of his and dodged the chalk easily. He uncrossed his arms, stalking over to where Donghae stood in his brown overalls and filthy mop and removed the handle from the latter's hands. 

"I don't know about that." He started, sending Donghae the usual lop sided, gummy smirk. "But it sure as hell doesn't make sense for your beautiful hands to be doing this." 

 

No one quite knew how Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae became best friends. 

If Donghae was a silver of tar, Hyukjae was the equivalent snow. Black and white; they were polar opposites. 

While Donghae was the son of a divorced, divorced and drunken father, Hyukjae's parents owned the string of expensive universities all around the country. Whereas Donghae was known to be the school troublemaker, always getting into fights, raids, constantly failing every one of his classes, Hyukjae scored highest on all exams from the moment he'd entered the competitive Korean education system. 

If one was a slum, the other a prince. And yet, the slum was the prince's finest treasure and no one quite knew why. 

 

"Go home, Lee." 

"How can I go home when you're here in this smelly school cleaning gum under desks, my princess?" Hyukjae retorted, wettening the mop. 

Donghae snorted. "Get into your fancy car, turn on your fancy navigator and let it lead you to your fancy home. It's quite simple." 

"If I went home, no one would be there to lead you to your home now would there?" Hyukjae responded matter of factly. 

"I'm grown now, Lee. I'm not the six year old you befriended out of pity anymore. I can take myself home." 

"I never pitied you." Hyukjae spoke softly yet firmly as he begun to stack the desks. "Just loved." 

 

What else no one understood was the fact that the harsher Donghae pushed, the closer Hyukjae clung. 

Knowing their situations, it seemed ironic for Hyukjae to be the one doing the clinging and Donghae the pushing. 

While Hyukjae had everything going for him, Donghae had absolutely nothing. 

If anyone needed the other's help, it was Donghae wasn't it? Hyukjae had everything. Donghae had nothing. 

And yet, Donghae was Hyukjae's everything. 

 

"Don't make me throw up, Lee." Donghae grimaced, opening the blinds a bit farther. Hyukjae's eyes glanced outwards, onto the darkened sky, the illuminating moon. 

"It's a full moon." He spoke, almost enchanted. 

Donghae's eyes grew distant. His lips twitched, pleading to smile. He forced them to thin. 

 

They had been experimental fifteen year olds. 

On the first full moon since high-school had begun, they'd both sneaked out to the school rooftop. Triangle kimbap and ramen and strawberry milk and banana milk; choco pies and sparklers and even their beanbags, they had brought everything they could get their hands on to ensure the perfect night. 

"You're insane, Lee. If your parents knew, you'd be grounded till graduation." 

Hyukjae laughed, with that obnoxious raw laugh of his. "I don't care." 

Donghae stared at him with saucerlike eyes. "Are you seriously insane, Lee?" 

"I'm always insane when it comes to you." Hyukjae replied, having been straightforward all his life. 

Donghae had looked away, his pre-pubescent cheeks reddened. "Don't gross me out here." 

Hyukjae had shrugged, throwing up a strawberry milk and shoving a straw through the lid. 

"The moon's really pretty. Like Kim Hyeojin." 

Hyukjae made a face, almost splurting out his strawberry milk. "Kim Hyeojin? Don't tell me you like her." 

Donghae frowned in indignance. "So what if I do?" 

"Kim Hyeojin?! Lee Donghae you're prettier than Kim Hyeojin." 

Donghae's pink cheeks just turned brighter. His eyes merely grew larger. 

"Oi, she's the prettiest girl in the freshman class. Who are you bullting?" 

"Doesn't change the fact that you're 10x prettier than her in my eyes." Hyukjae countered loudly. 

"You're insane!" 

"You've said that about ten times tonight!" 

"Because it's true! You're in - " 

Donghae never achieved calling Lee Hyukjae insane for the eleventh time. For, before he could get the words out Hyukjae had slammed his inexperienced lips onto Donghae's even more inexperienced ones and began haphazardly kissing. All for a good thirty seconds before Donghae regained his senses, pushed his best friend off him - quite roughly may I add - and proceeded to give Hyukjae the first and last blackeye he'd ever acquire. 

 

"Pretty." Hyukjae's voice was barely audible. His hands had dropped the mop to the floor. 

Donghae blinked. "The moon?" 

There was a pause. The room had risen approximately ten degrees in temperature as per the law of tension, which there was a large amount present in said room. 

Then Hyukjae released a chuckle, laced with more than just humor. There was humor, yes, yet there was also nostalgia, a bitterness, a pleading. 

"No."

Donghae glanced away. He refused to look into the orbs of hazel he knew were gazing back at him. 

"Hae." 

Donghae could hear Hyukjae moving closer, he could feel him. Yet his eyes remained on his broom as he sweeped desperately. Pale slender fingers came to encircle his own and Donghae fought back the urge to shiver. He looked up finally, meeting the eyes, the only eyes that could crack through his facade of indifference. He found himself leaning into Hyukjae's touch. 

"Love you." 

Donghae closed his eyes. He sighed. "I know." 

Hyukjae leaned in closer. 

Donghae stepped back. 

"Go home, Hyuk." 

Hyukjae clenched his jaw. He swallowed the ugly lump that formed in his throat every time Donghae told him to go - whether it be to "go home", "go study", "go away". 

"I will." His voice was strained but he beamed brightly, chuckling. "As soon as I'm done with these desks of ours, we can both go home." 

 

* * * 

Author's Note: This was initially supposed to be a one-shot but I've decided to make it a few chapters long! Not too long, just enough. Enjoy.