Aroma

Bittersweet

"What?! We can't pay our bills?"

Momo sighed and nodded. "Yep. The rent just went up, and when you add in the electricity and water...we just can't afford it." she paused, looking down at her feet, then looked Sana in the eyes. "Sana, I know I promised you wouldn't have to work, but-"

Sana interrupted her girlfriend. "It's alright, Momo. I understand. We'll be kicked out otherwise." she gave her a warm smile. "Besides, I'm 21 now. I need to get used to working."

"Thank you, Sana." she threw her arms around Sana, tearing up slightly. "I knew you would understand. You always do."

Sana needed to find a job.


 

"Mama..." Mina managed to get out in between sobs. "I can't stand seeing you like this..."

"Honey..." her mother reached out and cupped her right cheek. "Don't cry...it's inevitable. We don't have the money to pay for the surgery."

Mina rubbed her eyes. "Yes we can! I've almost saved up enough, I just need-"

"1 million more won. By the time you save that up, I'll be gone sweetheart...you just need to accept it. I love you, Mina. But you have to let me go..."

"No!" Mina stood up. "Mama! I'm not letting you go like this! I'm going to save it up, I promise!" she stormed out of the room.

Mina needed to find a job.


 

Job hunting was harder than Sana thought it would be. Every job she either didn't meet the requirements for (which was most of them since she didn't have a college degree), thought the hours were too long, or thought it was too far away. After about an hour or so of searching, she slammed the laptop shut and sighed. "Why can't I find a job?!" she yelled as she pulled on her coat. She decided to go on a walk to help her calm down.

Her apartment was located right outside the city so it didn't take her long to get to the heart of Seoul. She walked around aimlessly, unsure of where she would end up.

Suddenly a cold wind blew. "Damn, it's cold!" she mumbled to herself, holding her hand in front of her face to block it. A paper flew onto her arm. "What's this?" she said as she took the paper with her other hand.

"AROMA COFFEE

NEW COFFEE SHOP ON THE EDGE OF SEOUL

NOW HIRING"

"Wow...the only requirement is that I'm at least 16 year olds! But I can't stand coffee..." Sana thought about it for a moment, then smirked. "That doesn't matter! I'm getting this job!" she pulled out her cellphone to call the number.

"Hello?" a smooth voice answered.

"Good afternoon! I'm interested in getting a job at Aroma."

"Oh, that's great! Could you come on December 13th?"

"Yes, thank you so much!"

"See you then. Could I get your name?"

"Sana."


 

Mina sighed as she stepped out of her shared apartment with her mother. "It's so hard to find a job...I was too busy taking care of mom to find a job, so I can't find one that pays well." she said to herself. She was heading to a convenience store to get some snacks.

When she got to the convenience store, there was a girl standing outside handing out flyers. "Um, excuse me, miss?"

"Yes?" Mina replied.

"Interested in a job at a new coffee shop, Aroma Coffee?" she held out the flyer for Mina to read it.

Mina read it, then smiled. "Wow! This is perfect! How much do you pay, if you don't mind me asking?"

"About 10,000 won an hour."

"Well, guess I can't be too picky." Mina took the flyer. "When can I start?"

"Just come December 13th around 3, we'll tell you everything then. By the way, can I get your name?"

"Mina."


Today was the day. December 13th. Both girls got ready and headed for Aroma.

"Momo, I'm so nervous..." Sana said over the phone as she walked to Aroma. "This is my first job, unless you count that bake sale we did in middle school. What if I screw up?"

Momo laughed. "Sana, you're worrying over nothing...you're great at everything you do. Just believe in yourself, and make sure they don't find out you hate coffee." she said the last part in a joking manner.

"Okay...love you, Momo."

"Love you too, Sana. Good luck."

Beep.

Mina thought about her mother as she walked to Aroma with her hands tucked in her coat pockets. "Mama...I'm doing this for you...you'll get better, I promise." Mina looked down at the ground, imagining her mother's face. She looked up when she heard a gasp and a, "What the-?!" Her eyes widened when she saw her face.

Sana.