Final

Christmas Hope

This is the story of my parents. They met in the most special way. They were two completely different people. Papa had a family, house, job, education and a life and daddy had only my older sister.

Daddy used to beg for money on the streets, but no one gave him any. He would sit there on the ground no matter weather and hope that someone would see the state of him and my sister and help.

No one did.

Daddy was just 22 years old and my sister was 3 years old. They had a hard time. Daddy used the little money he would get to buy my sister food or whatever she needed. Clothes, a toy, a blanket, maybe some candy if he got enough money. She was his top priority. He wouldn't get much each day, but he didn't give up. He would change the place where they would sit often so new people could walk by and see them. He would always put Sunhi before him. If he got food, he would give most to her. If it were cold, he would wrap her up in a blanket and hold around her to give himself warmth. He didn't have much change of clothes since he bought new ones for her. He was a lovely father, but with too little to give his child. But he tried. He would smile and play with her every day. He wanted to show the people going by that he was a caring and kind person. Every night he would wrap Sunhi up in all the clothes and just hold her tightly into his body. He mostly tried to find a lace with shelter, but they often slept just out in the open. He weren't happy with their way of living, but he had his little girl, and he would do EVERYTHING for her.

"She's beautiful." It was winter when daddy saw the most beautiful person in the world. The man came unexpectedly and sat down beside them. The man had warm clothes, a beanie, gloves and warm boots. His hair was black and his eyes were warm. He had a bright smile with a cute mole over the right upper lip. Daddy couldn't take his eyes off him.

"I've seen you here a couple of times." The man said and looked at the road in front of them.

"Your daughter is always wrapped up in clothes and a blanket, whilst you are just barely dressed." The man said. He surprised daddy with his observations.

"H-how…?" Daddy stuttered.

The man smiled, eyes still on the road.

"I work in little shop on the corner." He said and daddy turned his head to look at the open windowed shop. It was lights inside, a chalkboard with different names on cupcakes and cakes, people going in and coming out with beautiful colored boxes. Daddy looked at the sign on the top and read “Sweet N’ Tasty”.

"I can see you both every day." He said. Daddy didn't know what to say. The man turned his head and smiled. He looked down at the sleeping girl. He her dark chocolate colored hair.

"You’re lucky to have someone so beautiful in your life." He said and daddy looked down at his sleeping angel.

"A father does everything to keep their children safe, right?" The man asked and looked into daddy's eyes. He nodded.

"Wish I had children." The man said and looked down at Sunhi again.

“What’s her name?” He asked.

“Sunhi.” Daddy answered and hugged her closer to himself.

"Y-You're not trying to take her away from me, are you?" He asked and the man chuckled as he shook his head.

"No. I'm just jealous." He said and daddy frowned. He didn't understand how the man could be jealous. He was the one with a house and education and a job. Daddy had only Sunhi. Nothing more.

"I guess your wife is dead?" The man asked and daddy shook his head.

"It was a noting but a fling." He said and looked down at the ground.

"What happened?" The man asked.

"W-Why do you ask?" Daddy asked.

"I'm just curious." The man said. He bent his knees and wrapped his arms around them, ready to hear the story of the homeless father. Daddy took a deep breath.

"My parents died before I could enter elementary school. They died when our house fell down in a storm. The police found me wrapped in my fathers arms. He had gotten planks and bricks over him, but he had done his best to stand over me so nothing would hit me. He was bleeding like crazy. But he kept smiling at me and telling me everything would be fine. He was trying to tell jokes so I would laugh instead of cry. When everything became too much for him, he fell on top of me, but he still used the little strength he had left to not crush me. The police took me away just as my father took his last breath. They put me in an orphanage. I lived there until I was 12. I have learned a little in school, but I didn't finish my education. I didn't like the orphanage or anyone in it, so I ran away. I lived in the streets. Sold energy drinks and newspapers. It wasn't much money that gave me, but enough to survive. I also delivered mail from house to house, but without a bike, it meant I had to run very much. When I was 19, I went to a club. I just wanted to get out of the cold and into the warmth. The club was the only place they didn't care about who came in and out. That was where I met Sunhis mother. She was drunk and we just did it. A few days later she found me on the streets and slapped me. She said I made her pregnant. I was shocked and surprised. I said she could abort it if she wanted, but she said she didn't have enough money for that. Therefore, she let the baby grow inside her for nine months. She didn't see me at all during that time, but when she had given birth, she came to me with Sunhi in a baby basket. She just left her in front of me and walked away. I didn't really care about her as soon as I laid my eyes on Sunhi. She was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. She gave me strength to stay strong and try my best. But since I had her with me, I couldn't keep selling energy drinks or newspapers. I couldn't deliver mail either. Therefore, my only option was to sit on the road, hope someone would be kind and help us. It's been two years now and we're doing fine. I use most of the money on Sunhi. She's more important than me." Daddy said and caressed Sunhis cheek. The man looked at daddy with big admiring eyes.

"That's a very special story." He said. He then reached his hand out to daddy.

"My name is Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun." Papa said and daddy looked surprised at him before shaking his hand.

"I'm Park Chanyeol." He said.

"That's a nice name." Papa said. Daddy smiled shyly. Papa stood up from the ground. He put a small roll of money in the little plastic cup daddy had.

"This is all I have right now." He said with a big smile and walked away.

 

Daddy says he will never forget that day. Papa was the first person ever since his parents that had cared. He even asked daddy his story. No one had ever done that. Daddy thought about him almost every day. He had used the money to buy a cheap, but warm jacket for himself. It was big so he could even fit Sunhi into it. He also bought a little food, but for once he bought warm food. He continued sitting on that spot. He didn't change places. He liked looking at “Sweet N’ Tasty”. He wanted to buy a cake or cupcake there for Sunhi to taste, but he couldn’t. It was too expensive for him. He only got about 7 dollars. And that was over several days. He needed to buy normal food for Sunhi and maybe for himself. But to his surprise, Papa would come every now and then. He didn’t do much, just said hello and talk. Daddy talked back and even Sunhi soon managed to talk to the young stranger.

“Do you like cakes?” Papa asked Sunhi. She shrugged.

“I don’t know what cake is.” She said and Papa gasped.

“What?!” He asked and looked up at daddy.

“It’s too expensive.” He said and Papa bit his lower lip. He hated bringing up the fact that daddy was poor, but he wasn’t used to talking to people who didn’t have money. Daddy tucked Sunhi better into her blanket and pulled her into his arms. Papa stood up and reached out a hand for daddy. Daddy looked confused at him.

“Come one. I’ll take you to the shop and let you have a taste.” He said and Chanyeol shook his head.

“You can’t do that.” He said.

“Why not?”

“You’ve made those. You can’t just give them away. If you gave away everything you make, how can you earn money for your food and clothes and bills?” He asked and Papa didn’t know what to say.

“It’s fine. Maybe one day I’ll have enough money to give her a taste of it. I haven’t even tasted it myself for many years.” Daddy said and Papa apologized.

“What are you apologizing for? You’ve done nothing wrong.” Chanyeol said and flashed Papa a bright smile. Sunhi stood up (with difficulty thanks to all the clothes) and hugged Papas leg.

“Thank you, Baekhyun.” She said and Papa smiled as he bent down to her.

“Thank you for liking Sunhi and daddy.” She said and kissed his cheek before running over to daddy whilst giggling. Papa chuckled as he bid his goodbye and walked back to the shop. When he got inside, he took off his winter coat and pulled on his apron. He served the customers for a while with a big smile and warm words. When the shop began to quiet down, he looked outside and saw daddy and Sunhi leaving. He sighed. Grandma walked over.

“What’s wrong, sweetie?” She asked and Papa smiled.

“Nothing.”

“Oh don’t try it! I know when something’s wrong with my son.” She said and Papa chuckled.

“I don’t actually know what’s wrong.”

“It’s about that homeless man and his daughter, right?” She asked and Papa nodded. She his arm.

“Do you care for them?” She asked and Papa shrugged.

“I just feel more for them than for other homeless people. I don’t know whether it’s his love and care for his daughter or something else.” He said and Grandma frowned confused.

“Is he a good father?” She asked and Papa smiled as he looked up on the evening moon.

“He must be the most caring father I’ve ever seen.” He said and walked to the back. Grandma went just outside the door and saw daddy holding Sunhi in his arms. She noticed his lack of clothes and how my sister was all tucked in.

 

The days went on and even Grandma noticed how good of a father daddy was where he sat, wrapping Sunhi up in warm clothes, playing with her, kissing her, hugging her, feeding her when he got enough money for some food. What impressed her the most was how daddy never ate, never slept, never had warm clothes on, and never frowned at his daughter. The most impressing thing was how his smile never disappeared. It was always there. Papa and his parents had two floors over the shop where they lived. Papa had his own apartment, but he enjoyed staying with his family. He rented it to others and earned more money that way. When they ate dinner, Papa told them of those few times he had visited Chanyeol and Sunhi. Grandma smiled warmly at her son. When they were done, Grandpa were about to throw away the left overs, but Grandma stopped him.

“Baekhyun, why don’t you give the rest to Chanyeol and little Sunhi?” She said and put the rest of the turkey and the potatoes in a box together with two forks and a spoon. She put the sauce in a thermos. She put everything in a plastic bag and handed it over to Papa. She shooed him out the door. He wore a big smile as he ran towards daddy and Sunhi. They were just about to leave.

“Wait!” He exclaimed and daddy turned around. Papa stopped in front of them and took deep breaths to calm himself.

“This is for you.” He said and gave daddy the bag. He looked inside and gasped.

“I-I c-can’t a-accept this.” He said and handed it back, but Papa brought his arms behind his back.

“I can’t take it back so you have to accept it.” He said with a playful smile. Sunhis stomach rumbled and they both looked down at her.

“Hungry.” She said and looked at daddy with big eyes. Papa smiled and lifted her up.

“Come on, you can eat at the shop.” He said and began walking. Daddy ran in front of him and made him stop.

“A-Are you sure that’s alright?” He asked and Papa nodded.

“Of course. My mother was the one insisting on giving you the food.” He said and grabbed daddys hand before dragging him to the cozy bakery. Daddy seemed nervous as he entered. He moaned quietly as the warmth from the little fireplace in the corner hit his body. Sunhi jumped out of Papas arms and ran to the display of goodies. She giggled happily.

“This place is amazing.” Daddy said as he looked over the cozy place. It was a few tables here and there, a stair to the floor above, Christmas decorations hanging all over the place and candy colored walls. It was just like the candy house in Hansel and Gretel.

“You’re so lucky to live in this place.” Daddy said. Papa took off his big coat and felt how thin it was.

“I can’t believe how you’re still alive with so little clothing. I mean you’re wearing shorts. It’s the middle of November!” He exclaimed and daddy picked up Sunhi.

“I’m alive because she’s alive. If I died, who would take care of her?” He asked and Papa bit his lower lip. ‘He’s told you several times that he does everything to take care of her! Stop bringing it up Papa!’ He scolded himself in his thoughts. Daddy tickled Sunhi when she tried to run away. Papa smiled fondly at the caring father who, despite being exhausted, still smiled and played with his little girl.

“Baekhyun? Could you he- Oh!” Grandma came down the stairs and jumped a little when she saw daddy and Sunhi. Daddy quickly picked Sunhi up into his arms and bowed politely to the older woman.

“You must be Chanyeol!”

“It’s so great to finally meet you.” She said and shook his hand. Daddy looked surprised at her, but smiled back.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you too.” Daddy said as Grandma bent down and gently pinched Sunhis cheek, making her giggle. Grandma then noticed the bag of food.

“You haven’t eaten?” She asked and looked disappointed. Daddy felt guilty.

“I-I just can’t accept something like this.” He said and handed the bag back. She frowned as she accepted it. She walked over to the nearest table and pulled out everything.

“Sit! And eat!” She ordered and daddy was afraid to say no. He bowed and placed Sunhi in his lap as he sat down on one of the chairs. Grandma came over with a children chair and daddy gently placed Sunhi in it. He then began feeding here and she smiled happily at the good and warm food. Grandma noticed how daddy didn’t eat anything.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” She asked and daddy shook his head.

“When Sunhi’s done, then I’ll eat.” He said and smiled as he continued feeding his little girl. Grandma looked at her son whom looked at daddy with admiring eyes and a gentle smile.

“He’s quite the man, isn’t he?” She whispered to her son and Papa nodded.

“He would make a good husband, don’t you think?” She said and glanced at Papa just in time to see his cheeks blushing.

“I-I guess.” He stuttered and turned his head away from his mother.

“Go get some food on a plate for him.” She said and Papa ran upstairs. He came down with a plate full of food and placed it in front of daddy.

“Eat. Feed Sunhi at the same time, but please eat.” He said and daddy looked shocked at him before shaking his head.

“I-I’m fine. I-I’ll just f-feed her first.” He said and Papa sat down next to him.

“Then I’ll feed you.” He said and picked up some food on his fork before moving it towards daddy’s mouth. Daddy looked at him with big, surprised eyes.

“Come on. Open up. Don’t make me do airplane noises.” He said and daddy laughed before opening his mouth and finally taking in the good food. He moaned slightly at the taste before breaking into a huge grin.

“This is delicious!” He exclaimed happily and Grandma smiled.

“It’s almost better every time.” She said proudly.

“I’ve never tasted this before.” Daddy said and the Byun family gasped.

“Never?!” Grandma exclaimed shocked.

“B-But this is a traditional dinner. Turkey, potatoes and delicious sauce is one of the most important dishes to eat in your life.” She said and daddy shrugged his shoulders.

“I haven’t exactly lived the most normal life.” He said and looked at Sunhi. Just then, Grandpa came downstairs.

“Is this Chanyeol?” He asked and walked towards daddy and shook his hand.

“Do you like the bakery?” He asked and daddy nodded.

“It’s very cozy.” He said and Grandma giggled.

“I’ve decorated it myself, with help from Bacon.” She said and Papa groaned.

“It’s Baekhyun, not Bacon. Baek-Hyun!” He said and Grandpa chuckled together with daddy. After a long while of talking and chatting, daddy carried the sleepy Sunhi in his arms and thanked them deeply for everything. Just as he was about to leave, Papa grabbed his arm.

“Wait! Tell me where you live. I might come over with food sometimes.” He said and smiled sweetly. . and Grandma smirked at each other when they noticed the face Papa made. A girl make the exact same face in high school when she sees her crush. Daddy shook his head.

“We don’t live anywhere.” He said and Grandma gasped loudly.

“What?!” She exclaimed loudly.

“I just try to find a place with shelter whenever I can and make sure to wrap Sunhi in warm clothes.” He said as if it was nothing. Papa looked at his parents with pleading eyes and the both nodded. He smiled brightly before grabbing Chanyeols arm and pulling him up the stairs. He pulled him into his room and sat him down on the bed before running out again. He came in with a mattress, then a duvet and lastly two pillows.

“W-What are you doing?” Daddy asked. Sunhi Jumped out of all the clothes and threw herself on the mattress with a happy laughter. She hugged the pillow and looked up at daddy.

“It’s soft!” She said happily and gave the pillow to daddy. He grabbed it and gently hit her on the head with it. She giggled whilst pouting. Papa bent down and pinched her cheek.

“Let’s get you ready for bed.” He said and picked her up. She happily wrapped her arms around his neck and rubbed their cheeks against each other. Daddy jumped up from the bed and grabbed Papas shoulder.

“W-What’s going on?” He asked.

“You’re sleeping here tonight.” He said and Sunhi nodded happily.

“L-Look, t-the food was delicious and I’m very grateful, but t-this is t-too much.” He said and Sunhi pouted. Papa sighed.

“If you was like me and you found me and Sunhi on the streets, wouldn’t you do your best to help?” He asked.

“Well, yes of course, but-“

“Ten accept my help.” Papa said and looked at daddy with pleading eyes. He sighed.

“Just this once. You have to stop this. I’ll only ruin your life too if we get too involved with each other.” He said and Papa knew he thought of Sunhis mother.

“I’m not some hooker you found in a club. I’m a guy who’s happy that he’s met you. I like you and Sunhi.” Papa said and went to the bathroom. Daddy was left standing with a rapidly beating heart and flushed cheeks. ‘Someone likes me.’ He thought. It was obvious that Sunhi loved him, but another human being. He was so happy. He left the room and tried to find Sunhi and Papa. He heard small giggled from the bathroom and saw Papa desperately trying to brush Sunhi teeth, but she just laughed. She looked at daddy.

“It tickles.” She said and daddy laughed.

“Have you ever brushed her teeth before?” Papa asked and daddy nodded.

“I sometimes buy toothpaste and a little toothbrush. I’m not rich, but even I am thinking about hygiene.” He said and walked over to Sunhi. He grabbed the toothbrush and brushed Sunhis teeth.

“How come she’s obedient with you, but not with me?” Papa asked as he pouted. Daddy laughed.

“Maybe because I’m her father.” Papa pouted even more.

“And here I thought she liked me.” Sunhi reached out her arms.

“Bacon!” She said and motioned for him to come closer. He groaned before walking over. She grabbed his cheeks and brought him closer before kissing his nose.

“I love you!” She said happily and wrapped her tiny arms around his neck as he gave him a big hug. He smiled happily and daddy looked at the scene with happy and tearful eyes. Papa carried Sunhi back to the room and laid her gently down on the bed. He laid her under the duvet and she sighed happily, as she closed her eyes and fell asleep faster than ever. Daddy grabbed Papas arm and pulled him out of the room.

“T-Thank you.” He said and gave Papa a big hug. Papa smiled as he hugged back. He then pushed daddy into the bathroom.

“Take a shower and I’ll bring you some clothes.” He said.

“Y-You don’t-“

“I swear to god I’m this close to sewing your mouth shut.” He said and daddy bit his lower lip and chuckled nervously.

“You’re sitting on the streets asking for help, and now that I’m helping you, you better god damn take it!” He said and pushed daddy into the bathroom.

“The towels are in the bottom drawer and the shampoo and balsam are on the floor.” He said and closed the door. Daddy took a good look at himself in the mirror and noticed how pale he is and how well you could see his bones through his skin. He looked down on his body, the only reason it was muscles was because he was carrying Sunhi everywhere. It was the only exercise he got. He looked like a ghost, and that made him wonder why Papa cared about him. He entered the shower and nearly cried at how wonderful it felt. He cleaned himself thoroughly. He didn’t know when the next chance would be. When he was done, Papa came in and daddy stood there in just a towel around his waist. Papa blushed as he noticed daddys body.

“H-Here. Y-Your clothes.” He said and ran out. After Daddy had changed, he went back to the room. Sunhi was sleeping with a small smile on his lip. Daddy bent down and gently brushed her hair out of her face and kissed her forehead.

“You must be the most amazing father I’ve ever met.” Papa said. He was laying on his own bed. He was wearing a t-shirt and pajamas pants. Daddy gently scooted Sunhi over to one of the sides on the mattress before laying down. He didn’t cover himself with the duvet and Papa frowned angrily. He stood up and pulled daddy up.

“What?” Daddy asked as Papa pushed him down on his own bed. He pushed daddy all the way into the wall, threw the duvet over him and joined him underneath. Daddy was about to protest, but Papa placed a finger over his lips.

“Shut up, and sleep.” Papa said and turned around so his back was facing daddy. Daddy smiled.

“Thank you.” He whispered inaudible, but Papa smiled because he heard it clearly.

 

 

When daddy woke up the next day, neither Papa nor Sunhi were there. He ran out into the living room and saw no one. He ran everywhere in the house trying to find her. He ran downstairs into the bakery and saw her sitting on the counter. She was eating a cupcake and customers were ruffling her hair and pinching her cheeks. They all thought she was cute. Papa was next to her, handling the payments.

“Sunhi!” Daddy exclaimed relieved and ran towards her.

“Daddy!” She giggled and reached out for him. He gathered her in his arms and hugged her tightly.

“I was so worried!” He said and kissed her temple.

“I’m sorry, Chanyeol. You were so tired and we didn’t want to wake you.” Papa said and daddy shook his head.

“It’s alright. I was just worried that something might have happened.” He said and smiled.

“Well, now you need to go upstairs and get some food as well as changing.” Papa said and pointed at his clothes. Daddy chuckled and went upstairs. He brought Sunhi with him.

“Good morning.” Grandma said as Chanyeol had changed and entered the kitchen.

“Good morning.” He said. Sunhi ran up to her and hugged her foot.

“Food!” She exclaimed happily. Grandma laughed and daddy groaned.

“Sunhi. Don’t pester Mrs. Byun.” He scolded and lifted her up. Grandma giggled.

“Sit down, I’ve made breakfast. Or Lunch, more exactly.” She said and daddy blushed in embarrassment. Sunhi ate happily and daddy was hesitant. The soup was delicious, but daddy couldn’t help but feel he was taking advantage of them. It was their food, not his. They shouldn’t be wasting it on him.

“Eat up.” Grandma said. Daddy placed the spoon down. He stood up.

“I’m sorry. But I can’t accept all of this.” He said and bowed deeply.

“Nonsense! We’re happy to help!” She said.

“That might be, but I feel that we’re using you.” He said. Sunhi pouted and jumped down from the chair before walking over to daddy. She turned towards Grandma and bowed her head.

“Thank you for everything.” She said and grabbed daddys hand. They turned around and left.

“W-Wait…!” Grandma said, but they were already down the stairs. Daddy grabbed their coats and scarfs and wrapped everything around Sunhi.

“C-Chanyeol?” Daddy turned around and saw Papa looking at them with sad eyes.

“W-Where are you going?” He asked and daddy smiled sadly.

“I’m grateful for everything you’ve done for us, but we can’t keep taking advantage of you.” He said and Papa shook his head.

“Y-You’re not taking advantage of us.” He said.

“But that’s what it feels like.” Daddy said and bowed.

“Goodbye.” Sunhi said and hugged Papas leg. Papa kneeled down on the floor and pulled her into a hug.

I know you love daddy.” Sunhi whispered.

“W-Wha-“

He loves you too.” She continued.

He’s afraid you’ll leave, like mommy did.” She said and walked back to daddy. Daddy grabbed her hand and they left. Papa looked broken at the door.

“It’s so sad. They were amazingly kind people.” Grandma said and laid a comforting hand on Papas shoulder.

“Mom? Is it possible to fall in love with someone you don’t even know?” He asked and turned around showing his mother his tearful face. She smiled sadly and nodded.

“But if that ever happens, you should get to know that person to make sure if you’re really in love or not.” She said and Papa chuckled.

“I’m very sure I’m in love.” He said and she cupped his cheek.

“Then go get him back. Sunhi didn’t get to taste the special cupcake I made for her.” She said and threw Papas coat at him. He pulled it quickly on and ran outside. The snow was pouring down. He ran around and tried to look for a tall figure and a little ball of clothes. He ran towards the spot where daddy and Sunhi always sat. They weren’t there so he ran onwards. He spotted them on a road into the forest.

“Wait!” He shouted and they both turned around. Sunhi beamed up and ran towards Papa with open arms.

“Bacon!” She yelled happily as he engulfed her in a hug. He kissed her forehead.

“D-Did you forget anything?” Daddy asked and Papa looked up at him. He let go of Sunhi and walked over to daddy. He wrapped his arms around his waist and buried his face in his chest. Daddy froze. Papa nuzzled deeper into his chest and daddy gently wrapped his arms around him too. He felt his entire body burning. His heart was almost jumping out of his chest and his cheeks were as red as Rudolf’s nose. Sunhi giggled as she looked at them. Daddy nuzzled his cold (yet burning) face in Papas fluffy hair.

Don’t leave.” Papa whispered. He pulled back slightly to look up at daddy.

“We don’t want you to leave.” He said and daddy bit the inside of his mouth nervously.

“We like having you guys over and considering the way you live, it shouldn’t be a problem for you to stay.” He said and daddy pulled away.

“It’s not that. It feels wrong to enter your life when we don’t even know each other and when you have a bright life and future ahead of you. You shouldn’t let us pull you down.” He said and motioned for Sunhi to come to him. She walked over and hugged his leg. Papa smiled sadly.

“I don’t think of you as a stranger or a burden of any kind. You’re someone I really like. Yes, I haven’t known you for that long, but it feels like I have. You’ve become someone precious to me. Sunhi as well.” Papa said and bent down to tickle her cheek. He stood up again and looked at daddy serious.

“We’re offering you a better life for yourself and for Sunhi. Shouldn’t you take it? Don’t you want a good future for her?” He asked and daddy almost looked offended.

“Of course I want!”

“Then come ba-“

“But I don’t want to use others lives to give her that.” He said and Papa shut his mouth. He sighed.

“Is there anything I can say that will make you come with me?” He asked and daddy shook his head. Papa felt tears in his eyes.

“Well. I guess this is goodbye then.” He said and walked towards daddy. He kissed his cheek and let his lips linger there for a minute before pulling back. He turned around and walked away. Daddy stared at the disappearing figure for a long time. He didn’t expect Papa to kiss him. Yes, it was only the cheek, but still!

“Daddy?” Sunhi kept pulling on his hand in an attempt to gain his attention. Daddy looked down at her and she smiled as she pointed at Papa. Daddy looked at Papa, but couldn’t see him. He panicked. He lifted Sunhi up and ran. He ran and ran until he saw the one person that was messing with his heart.

“Baekhyun?” He said and the said man froze. Daddy set Sunhi down on the ground and she immediately hung onto Papas leg.

“Baekhyun.” Daddy said and grabbed Papas shoulder to turn him around. He gasped when he saw Papas tearful face.

I really don’t want you to leave…” He cried and hid his face in his palms. He couldn’t keep it in anymore. He let every tear out. Daddy brought him into a hug and let him cry on his shoulder. Sunhi cried to and rubbed her face into Papas leg.

“P-Pl-Please don’t l-leave m-m-me.” He cried out. Daddy could feel his warm tears through his thin layer of clothes. He rubbed Papas back and his head. He breathed in his scent. He smiled at the good smell of cookies, cakes, cupcakes and cacao. He smelled as delicious as the bakery.

“I don’t wanna leave either, but we can’t live off of your family.” Daddy said and Papa hummed.

“You could…” Papa said and Daddy pulled slightly back to look at him.

“I could what?”

“You could work at the bakery.” Papa said and Sunhi cheered as she jumped up and down. Daddy grabbed her hand and lifted her up.

“Are you serious?” He asked and Papa beamed up.

“Yes! You could earn money and at the same time it’ll be like paying for living in our house!” He said and grabbed Sunhi before spinning around. They both yelled happily.

“Let’s go tell mom and dad!” He said to Sunhi.

“Yeah!” She said and Papa ran back to the bakery. Daddy stared speechless at them before running after them. He caught up to them just as they reached the bakery. Papa was apparently a very fast runner.

“Are you sure about this?” He asked Papa whom nodded.

“Mom! Dad!” Papa shouted as he entered the room. Grandma came running down the stairs.

“Chanyeol!” She exclaimed happily and ran to give daddy a hug.

“I’m so glad you came back.” She said as she pulled back. Papa walked up to her.

“None of us want Chanyeol and Sunhi to leave, so I came up with an idea.” He said and whispered in her ear. Daddy bit his lower lip in fright of what Grandmas answer would be. ‘Who would even accept someone homeless?’ Daddy thought. But to his surprise, Grandma smiled happily.

“That’s a wonderful idea!” She said and ran upstairs.

“HONEY!! CHANYEOL AND SUNHI ARE GOING TO LIVE WITH US!!!” She shouted. The customers in the shop stared weirdly at the stairs. Papa apologized to everyone saying she forgot the dinner in the oven. He walked behind the casher and brought out an apron.

“Ready for your first lesson at work?” He asked and daddy nodded with a smile. He told Sunhi to go upstairs which she did. They spent a good few hours of the night teaching daddy everything. At least most things. Daddy said he was a nervous wreck the first day. He was not used to speaking to so many people. Or more accurately, he was not used to them speaking to him. But he survived. Papa was there to help him with whatever and the customers seemed to like him. Some even came back later on the day, but Papa said that sometimes happened. Daddy got comfortable with the job at the bakery, the delicious food by Grandma every day and the good warm bed he shared with Papa. Sunhi still slept on the mattress. Papa felt it was good if she got a little freedom from her father. And because he secretly wanted to sleep next to daddy. The whole of November had gone by and it was the day before Christmas Eve. That was the most important day for Daddy and Papa. That was when the magic happened.

 

 

Daddy had just closed the shop when he turned around and saw Sunhi with a pink glazed cupcake in her hand.

“For you, daddy!” She said and he smiled as he kneeled down on the ground. He grabbed her waist, lifted her onto his lap and took the cupcake with his other hand.

“Thank you sweetie.” He said and kissed her cheek. She giggled happily and watched with big eyes as he ate it. He smiled at the sweet taste of chocolate.

“This is delicious!” He said and kissed her cheek again.

“I made it with Bacon.” She said and daddy smiled.

“Well, I’ll remember to thank him later.” He said and stood up. He ate the last bite of the cake and threw away the paper. He kissed Sunhis cheek again and whispered a ‘thank you’ in her ear. She giggled and wrapped her tiny arms around his neck. He walked up the stairs and saw the dinner on the table.

“Oh! Great! I was just about to call you guys.” Grandma said as she placed the pot on the table. Chanyeol smiled as he placed Sunhi down in her chair before heading to the bathroom to clean his hands. . She cheered happily as Grandma filled up a plate for her with chicken and rice.

“Ketchup!” She said and pointed at the red little bottle. Grandma laughed and pored some over her rice. She eagerly ate and Grandma laughed.

“Baekhyun Honey! It’s dinner!” she shouted. Grandpa came out from his office, running. Grandma laughed at her husband.

“I’m coming!” Papa shouted. Just as he neared the last step, Chanyeol came out from the bathroom and they crashed. Grandma almost lost Grandpas plate that she had just filled up.

“Oww…” Papa and daddy groaned. Daddy pushed himself up into a sitting position and noticed how he laid between Papas feet. Papa rubbed the back of his head and blushed madly when he saw daddys face so close to his own. Daddy quickly got up on his feet.

“My apologies.” He said and helped Papa up. Papa mumbled ‘it’s fine’. He quickly ran to the table and acted as if nothing had happened. They ate happily together. Daddy was forced to tell his story to Grandpa and Grandma and Grandma began crying. She ran to him and crushed him in a hug. Grandpa had to tear her away, but she still wouldn’t let go. He took some food and secretly dropped it on the ground before making a big deal out of it. Grandma snapped and started yelling. Grandpa signalized for Papa to take daddy and Sunhi upstairs before Grandma would cry again and hug daddy even harder. Papa grabbed Sunhi and they ran upstairs laughing. Sunhi sat down on the bed and played with one of Papas toys (which he had won at a circus last year). Daddy and Papa stood out on their little balcony. They were looking up at the stairs.

“Oh! A shooting star!” Papa exclaimed and quickly closed his eyes to make a wish. Daddy chuckled at him. When he opened his eyes again, he had a big smile on his face.

“What did you wish for?” Daddy asked and Papa shook his head childishly.

“Come on~” Daddy whined and Papa shook his head again.

“If I tell you, it won’t come true.” He said and daddy groaned.

“Come on! You don’t really believe that, do you?” He asked and Papa shrugged.

“My wishes has usually come true whenever I don’t share them.” He said and daddy laughed.

“Have you wished for fame or money or stuff like that?” He asked and Papa shook his head.

“I always wish for something more real. Like making a super delicious cupcake, dad finishing the roof before the raining season, my friends to finally invite me out etc.” He said and daddy laughed again.

“Some wishes.” He said and Papa pouted as he slapped his arm.

“It’s my wishes. Why don’t you tell me some of yours?” He asked and daddy shrugged.

“Just for Sunhi to be happy.” He said and Papa rolled his eyes.

“Why did I even bother to ask?” He said and opened the door.  Daddy reached out to stop him, but ended up slipping on the wet ground and made them both fall over. Their noses was almost touching and they were both blushing like madly. Daddy looked into Papas brown eyes. He thought they were so beautiful. Daddy slowly lifted himself up.

“S-Sorr-“ He started, but Papa grabbed his shirt and cut him off.

“I…” He mumbled and almost looked dazed.

“I wished…” He said and looked into daddys eyes.

“That you’ll kiss me.” He said and daddy looked at him with big eyes. When daddy didn’t move (thanks to his great shock), Papa took it as a rejection and gently pushed daddy away before getting up on his feet.

“Don’t worry. The wish has been told and won’t happen.” He said with a bitter smile.

“Just forget everything.” He said and walked quickly to their room. Daddy got up on his feet and followed him. Papa closed the door to their room just as daddy neared it.

“B-Baekhyun?” He asked as he gently knocked on the door. No sound came from behind the door.

“Baekhyun, please open up.” He begged.

“Baekhyun. Open up.” He said with seriousness. A few seconds later, the door slowly opened. He walked inside and saw Papa hiding behind the door. He smiled at his cuteness.

“Baekhyun.” He whispered and hugged the petite male from behind. He felt how he was shaking.

Baekhyun.” He whispered in his ear and Papa turned around before hiding his face in his chest.

“Don’t be shy. What you said made me really happy. I’m just slow at taking stuff in.” He said and chuckled. Papa chuckled with him.

“You are very slow.” He said and wrapped his arms around his waist.

“But that’s one of the things I like about you.” Daddy smiled at Papas words. He wrapped his arms around his waist and lifted him up before walking out of the room.

“C-Chanyeol! P-P-Put me down!” He whined and kicked his feet around. Daddy laughed before stopping in the living room. He put Papa down and lifted his chin up so he could see the green little object hanging from the roof.

“A m-mistletoe?” He asked and looked at daddy.

“I might be slow, but sometimes I just need a little push.” He said and caressed Papas cheek. Papa blushed like madly.

“A-are you r-really…?” He asked and daddy nodded.

“I want to make your wish come true.” He said and leaned down. Papa closed his eyes and waited for the touch of daddys lips. He felt his feet shaking as soon as their lips touched. They were so softer than he ever thought. Daddys other hand came up to Papas other cheek. He tilted his head a little and caught his bottom lip between his own lips. Papa felt his cheeks burning and his heart felt like it would stop at any second. He had wanted to kiss daddy for so long, and now that they finally were kissing, he couldn’t feel the world around him. It was as if time had stopped. When daddy pulled back, Papa whined which made daddy chuckle.

“Has your wish been fulfilled?” He asked and Papa nodded.

“I think my next wish will have to be for you to kiss me again.” He said and turned around to walk away, but daddy grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

“I’m still under the mistletoe, you know.” He said and Papa bit his lip as he giggled. He walked back, daddy wrapped his arms around his waist and Papa wrapped his around his neck.

“Do you wanna initiate it, or should I do it again?” Daddy asked and Papa rolled his eyes.

“Just kiss me before I make a new wish.” He said and daddy chuckled before leaning in to kiss him. Their lips fitted perfectly together. They moved in sync. Daddy picked Papa up and spun around earing a sweet angelic laugh from the smaller man. They quickly jumped away from each other when Grandpa came up the stairs.

“Baekhyun? Your mother and I are going out of town tonight to greet some relatives and we’ll be back tomorrow. You take good care of Sunhi, alright?” He said and daddy chuckled.

“As her father, yes. I think I’ll be able to do that.” He said and Grandpa laughed.

“I like your humor. It matches the Byuns humor.” He said and walked away. Papa groaned.

“Luckily, you don’t have the same constant ability to embarrass yourself.” He said and daddy smiled. Papa grabbed daddys collar and walked closer.

“If they’re gone, we can sleep together in their room, right?” He said and looked up at daddy through his eyelashes. Daddy swallowed loudly.

“Y-Yeah. I g-guess so.” He stuttered. Papa bit his lower lip seductively and daddy swallowed again as Papa walked so close their chest were touching.

Follow me.” He whispered in his ear and pulled him to his parents bedroom. I would love to tell you what happened then, but Papa and daddy hasn’t told me. They say it’s private, but that it was apparently special and magical. Papa told me they made love, although I don’t know how you make love. Well! On with the story!

 

 

 

The next day, Christmas Eve, they were both smiles and red cheeks the entire day. Grandma had made a delicious Christmas dinner. She had made turkey, potatoes, and a special sauce, which I don’t remember the name of. Daddy told me it was the same food he had eaten when Papa had offered it to him, but that this time it tasted so very much better. Grandma had given Sunhi one of her old dresses which she used to wear at Christmas time when she herself was a child. Sunhi looked adorable. Her hair were braided and pulled back into a bun. She looked cute. Daddy had borrowed one of Grandpas white shirts and dress pants. He had borrowed a red tie and looked actually quite dashing. At least Papa thought so. After dinner, they gathered around the Christmas tree that Sunhi and Grandma had decorated two days ago.

“Isn’t it pretty, daddy?” Sunhi asked as daddy lifted her up into his arms.

“It’s beautiful.”

“It’s like the once in the streets!” She said excitedly and Papa sighed inwardly. He always felt sad whenever Sunhi or daddy would talk about their years in the street.

“We still haven’t put on the star.” He said and walked over to them. He gave the start to daddy.

“Oh no! I can’t put on the star. That’s for the family to do.”

“STOP IT!!!” Grandpa, Grandma and Papa shouted.

“When are you going to realize you’re a part of the family?” Papa asked and his parents nodded in the background.

“I-I-“

“Never mind. I don’t wanna fight today.” Papa said and picked up a present.

“Just open your gift.” He said and smiled brightly. Daddy wanted to ask why he bought him a present, but decided to just smile and say thank you. He opened it and found a midnight blue sweater with a wolf print on it.

“It’s so cool!” He said and held it up against his body. He made a wolf expression and a ridiculous “rawr” and everyone began laughing.

“Thank you.” He said and gave Papa a hug.

“I got one for you too.” He said and gave Papa a red box with a sparkling silver ribbon. For once it was Papas time to look surprised.

“Y-You bought me a present?” He asked and daddy nodded.

“I needed to do something that could prove my gratitude.” He said and Papa opened the box eagerly. He took out the object and looked at it with big tearful eyes.

“Y-You remembered…” He whispered. In his hand was a snow globe. But not just any kind. His grandmother had the exact same snow globe before she died. Inside was a picture of their family as children. His grandmother had painted it herself. It was his grandfather, grandmother, mother, father and himself as a little toddler. The thing that made his tears flow was the fact that his late older brother, was holding him in his lap with a big smile on his face. Papa missed his brother more than anything. He had been his best friend. He died in a car crash when Papa was about twelve years old.

“Don’t cry. You were supposed to be happy.” Daddy said and chuckled nervously as he wiped away some of Papas tears.

“H-How did you find it?” He asked.

“I didn’t. I made it. I painted the picture. You had the picture on your computer so I just made it on a paper instead.” He said and Papa dropped his jaw to the floor. He looked at the snow globe and then up at daddy again. He smiled and wrapped his arms around daddys waist and buried his face in his chest.

“Thank you.” He mumbled. He pulled back and kissed daddy on the lips. When they pulled back, Grandpa coughed awkwardly. They both turned their heads.

“Since when did you guys kiss each other?” He asked and they both pulled away from their warm hold.

“S-Since yesterday.” Papa said and Grandpa shrugged.

“Well, now Chanyeol is definitely a part of the family.” He said and Sunhi cheered. Daddy wrapped his arm around Papas shoulder and bought him into another hug. The rest of the night was amazing. They opened tons of presents. Both Sunhi and daddy had bought/made gifts and received gifts. When the clock was way over midnight, Sunhi was finally asleep and so was Grandpa and Grandma. Daddy and Papa sat on the couch and watched as the fireplace slowly burned out. They had a blanket wrapped around their bodies and Papa was leaning his head on daddys shoulder.

“I’m glad my parents are okay with our relationship.” He said and daddy nodded.

“Yeah. I don’t think I’m quite ready to get thrown out yet.” He said and Papa laughed. He lifted his head and saw daddy right in the eye.

“I’m not letting you leave ever now.” He said and connected their lips. That night they made love again, and little did they know they ended up with me.

 

 

“Chanyeol?” Papa asked as he opened the bedroom door.

“Yes?” Daddy answered as he looked away from the sleeping Sunhi he just put the covers over.

“I need to talk to you.” Papa said and daddy gave Sunhi one last kiss on her forehead before walking out, closing the door silently.

“What is it?” He asked as he wrapped his arms around Papas waist.

“I-I… Don’t freak out, okay?” Papa said and daddy nodded.

“I-I… I’m p-p-pregnant.” Papa said and looked away, afraid to see daddys face.

“W-What?” He asked and Papa groaned.

“I’m pregnant.” He said and daddy broke into a huge grin.

“That’s fantastic!!!” He exclaimed and lifted Papa up into a spinning hug.

“Y-You’re not mad?”

“Why would I be mad? We’re gonna have a baby together!” He said and kissed Papas face all over. Papa smiled. He felt relieved now.

 

I was born on September 8. Daddy said it was the most wonderful moment in his life. Seeing little me in Papas arms. Sunhi was happy too. She said she would become the greatest sister in the world. And she has. They decided to name me Chanhyun. That way they would never forget that I belong to them. That I was a part of them both. We live in a comfy house out in the country, but we visit Grandpa and Grandma all the time. Daddy never told Papa this, but that night when thhey saw the shooting star, he wished for them to have a happy future together. Or more exactly: "I want to tell Baekhyun that I love him. I want to create a family with him." Those were his exact words.

 

 

This was the story of how my father went from being homeless, into having the greatest home in the world. Together with his loved ones. Isn’t that something we all want? Well, as daddy says “A Christmas hope can always come true”.