A Winter Later

That First Snow

"Hey, it's been awhile."

 

"Yeah."

 

"How have you been?"

 

"I've been good but busy, you?"

 

"Pretty much the same as usual."

 

"Heh, I heard you got a girlfriend..Congratulations."

 

"Yeah I did...Thanks."

 

"Well, I have to go, even meeting you for a few minutes is too much time..."

 

"Right...."

 

"Okay, Bye."

 

"Hey! Wait!"

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Promise me, we'll meet again, maybe a year from now?"

 

"Sure."

 

"And don't forget me!"

 

"Don't worry, I'll remember for sure."

 


 

 

"Don't worry, I'll remember for sure...."

 

 

The words escaped his lips softly, he smirked to himself, debating if the said words were true.

 

 

The latter walked along the crowded sidewalk, he checked his watch, it was about 7:21 PM, December 24th.

 

 

The last time he properly saw her, was around this time, exactly 7:30. He remembered since the grand clock tower was in the background, shining in the moonlight. 

 

 

"I walked alone on a street filled with lights, everyone looks happy." the lyrics rang in his earbuds

 

 

He looked around to see families strolling around the streets, as little kids pointed excitedly to toys they wanted. The stores had Christmas lights flashing brightly and there decorations about. Vendors were selling hot chocolate to pedestrians and other goodies. In his other ear, he heard the usual city sounds, the chatter, car engines, and the sirens, but along with it, he heard the Christmas joy, the happiness, the bells ringing and it brought a warm feeling into his chest. 

 

 

As he sipped the hot chocolate he held in his hands, he looked around to see an abnormal amount of couples around him.

 

 

"Who've thought I would've been that one lonely guy."

 

 

He finally reached his destination, the Bau House Dog Cafe at the corner of Yanghwa and Gangji street.

 

 

He often went here under his own discretion to visit and relive stress by playing with the dogs there, and it was also were he was heading when he ran into her.

 

 

Her.

 

 

The one who was out of his reach, and was even farther out when he got into his first relationship. He didn't mean it for it to happen, but unknowingly to him, he let the wrong one got away. 

 

 

He was immature back then, what he had wanted was pure lust, and he hadn't considered the responsibility it came with. Karma did reach him, but it left a more devastating blow than he expected it to.

 

 

The song on his playlist changed to their most recent song, 'Sing For You'.

 

 

He grimaced, of all songs that were shuffled, of course it was the most depressing one.

 

 

"Well, there's nothing I can do now, I can't change the past, I can only look back on it painfully." he thought.

 

 

It was 7:29, he strained his neck among the hetic crowd to find her, but he saw no one of the same resemblance, he made a small smile, staring at his slightly cold drink.

 

 

"Heh, was I wrong? Why would I think she would actually come, it's been a year, thing's have changed. Hearts were broken and repaired..."

 

 

He looked around once again, and took a deep breath, "Maybe it was a mistake to come out. I guess I haven't changed, I'm still stupid for thinking she would remember."

 

 

Shaking his head, he began to walk away until he heard a voice.

 

 

"Leaving so soon?"

 

 

That voice.

 

 

That soothing voice that he longed to hear.

 

 

Slowly turning around, he saw her standing, arms folded, smirking. She was sporting black high tops, black jeans, a large varisty jacket under her black jacket, and she had one earbud in, just like him.

 

 

She took a few steps closer, "Hey Baekhyun."

 

 

Yep, it was her. He tried his hardest to contain the sudden burst of relief and joy that he felt, "Hey Eunji, Wow, you really remember huh?"

 

 

She faintly smiled, "Yeah. I always keep a promise for a friend."

 

 

The awkward atmosphere that Baekhyun dreaded started to sweep in, the two just stood there on the side of the street in a restless silence.

 

 

"So...How's it going?" asked Baekhyun.

 

 

"The usual, schedules here and there. The girls and I listened to your album."

 

 

"Oh really?"

 

 

She chuckled, "Yeah, you can't believe the excitement Hayoungie got when she heard Sehun singing."

 

 

He grinned, "Hah, I bet most people are, he's worked really hard to get his singing to at least decent. He'll work his way up to get more lines eventually."

 

 

"So, what have you been doing, like, before you came here?" he asked.

 

 

"Oh, Infinite was hosting a holiday party and Hoya invited me and the rest to come." she replied.

 

 

"Sorry to have been a bother, I'm sure you would rather head back soon?"

 

 

She stuck her hands into her jacket pockets, "Nah, I like the fresh air I"m getting. They're all drunk from the soju they've been drinking, especially Chorong, Sunggyu, and Bomi. I've left poor Hayoungie and Hoya to take care of them." she stuck out her tounge, "I'm a way stronger drinker then all of them, so yeah, it got too hectic for me. What about you?"

 

 

Baekhyun chuckled, "Heh, I could the say the same, only everyone from the label is there. They're getting drunk too, the last thing I was remember was Kyuhyun and Ryeowook had lots of protein spills on their clothes, Onew stopping Jonghyun from stripping, Xiumin controlling the boys, and Seulgi trying to take care of her members, while Sunny was comforting a very sad drunken Taeyeon..."

 

 

He paused, "...I'm not that strong of a drinker, I might be after Xiumin but I don't really know, I don't drink full to my capacity to ever know."

 

 

Eunji nodded, she shifted her focus towards the twinkling stars in the sky, "So...Are you and...Taeyeon still together.?"

 

 

Baekhyun stiffened at the question, "..Not really.. We were on and off for awhile, but we grew apart, it just happened...."

 

 

Eunji didn't seem shocked at his answer, "Sorry to hear that."

 

 

He turned towards her and gave her a huge goofy, cheesy smile, "It's alright, if anything, dating her gave me an experience I'll never forget, not to mention, it made her realized and accept that she didn't like people of my kind."

 

 

Eunji raised her eyebrows at his last statement, but didn't press on. She watched as Baekhyun refocused his attention to the passing cars and she stared up towards the sky as she was before.

 

 

The silence engulfed the duo once again, only it wasn't as awkward as before, it felt soothing if anything.

 

 

Baekhyun focused on the song that was currently playing, it came to his conclusion that this song very well expressed how he was feeling right now.

 

 

:No matter where I look you’re clear in my memories.(Forever on my mind.) Yeah."

 

 

Unknowningly, he started humming the song, which then turned into him singing to himself.

 

 

"I remember you with my eyes oh,  I trace you with my mind and I feel warm.." he sang quietly.

 

 

"If you feel the same as I do, please remember." a voice interjected.

 

 

He looked in the direction of the familiar voice and was surprised that it was Eunji. He was about to say something, until he saw her gesture to keep going.

 

 

"Once this winter passess."

 

 

"I'm gonna..."

 

 

"If I feel the same, I'll tell youu,.."

 

 

"Honestly, I'm in love with you,ooh ooh ooh.."

 

 

The two kept singing together, alternating lines, and they got louder and louder, until they drew a crowd of passerbys listening to them. It was mostly couples but there were some elderly and families mixed in.

 

 

The highlight of the song came when Baekhyun hit his high note, and Eunji trailed in a little bit soon after as she did Chen's ad-lib.

 

 

"If you were okay with."  sang Eunji

 

 

"Now, for you," echoed Baekhyun

 


"If you were okay with it, "

 

 

"I will try to be your man."

 


"If you were okay with this,"

 

 

"Now to me."

 


"It’s not just friendship, you’d be my girlfriend.."

 

 

"It’s not just friendship, you’d be my boyfriend.." 

 

 

They ended together in perfect harmony, and Baekhyun was a little startled by Eunji's change of lyrics, but he shook it off with the clapping of their temporary audience.

 

 

"Wow, daebak, they sound amazing together.."

 

 

"What a lovely song!"

 

 

"Are those two dating? They both got good looks to boot, good voices, and they kinda look cute.."

 

 

"Hey! I recognize those two, isn't that EXO's Baekhyun and Apink's Eunji?! They're both main vocalists of their groups!"

 

 

Then out of the blue, and small spec of white had fallen on his jacket sleeve, Baekhyun looked up to the sky to see falling white snow. The crowd clapped even louder, some even cheering.

 

 

"Wah! Amazing, the first snow has finally arrived!"

 

 

"With voices of angels, you would think they would've called for the snow to come down."

 

 

"It really is a Christmas miracle huh? I never figured it would happen in real life, only in movies."

 

 

"Look Umma! Snow!"

 

 

"Snow! Snow! Yay! We got Snow!'

 

 

It was a movie-like cliche had folded in front of Baekhyun, he had his fair share of dramas and movies, but he never thought this kind of things would happen in real life, how it would happen to him.

 

 

"And Eunji and I are like the main protagonists." he thought.

 

 

He turned his head to Eunji, who was mesmerized by the glimmering snowflakes that contrasted with the dark night sky, and he noticed that a little girl and boy had came up to her and shyly commented on her amazing singing.

 

 

And that's when Baekhyun felt it, the thump.

 

 

His body suddenly felt very light and very intense, a thumping rush came out of nowhere in his chest, and he couldn't help but all of the sudden, smile.

 

 

"Is this it?..I mean I never felt it with Taeyeon..I..I don't even know where to begin...I can't believe it...This is what I've been looking for all along.."

 

 

After tons of compliments, pictures, and embarrasing comments, the crowd had quietly dispersed. And Baekhyun and Eunji were left once again standing next to each other on the edge of the sidewalk, at the Bau House Dog Cafe, at the corner of Yanghwa and Gangji street, at 7:50 PM, on Christmas Eve, with the first snow, one year later.

 

 

"You did a good job back there." commented Eunji.

 

 

Baekhyun found himself hesistating before answering, "Uh, yeah, you did a really nice job to....Uh how did you know the song?"

 

 

Eunji pulled out her phone and showed him the song playing, "Thanks, and it just so happened I was playing it right when you sang."

 

 

Baekhyun showed her his phone as well, "Well, what a coincidence."

 

 

Eunji sighed, "Yeah.. Can you believe it's snowing? The mini-concert? Us meeting here a year later? It's all one big coincidence. A lucky one."

 

 

"Yeah, how cliche right?" answered Baekhyun.

 

 

Eunji laughed, "Like a scene from a drama, and I would know, hehe, it's so bad and cheesy too."

 

 

Baekhyun glanced at the clock tower in the distance, it was 7:59 PM, the second hand was nearing the top so the bell would ring in a few seconds...

 

 

"DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG."

 

 

Eunji listened to the loud ringing of the bell and glanced at her phone, which Baekhyun noticed was a text, probably from Hayoung, he assumed.

 

 

Eunji smiled sadly, "Sorry Baek,uh Baekhyun, I should go, there's been a certain 'crisis' involving Sunggyu and uh, Woohyun," she winked, "I probably should head back and help Hayoungie and Sunjong, apparently it's more difficult then they can handle. It's a shame we can't meet up more, but it's something we can't help, I suppose."

 

 

He cocked his head with a questioning glance, but decided not to press on, he looked at the grounds slightly afterwards.

 

 

"Yeah..." mumbled Baekhyun, for some reason, he wanted to say more, but he no words could come out."

 

 

Eunji waved, "Okay, Bye."

 

 

She smiled a familiar smile, and it didn't click into Baekhyun's head that it was the same smile she gave at their last meeting when she left. It was a happy but sad smile, a smile that at the way it curved you could understand completely what it meant.

 

 

It was the smile of disapointment, the smile of expecting something more.

 

 

Then the world seemed to slow down for a moment. As she turned away and began to walk, Baekhyun was left with a few seconds to sort out his thoughts.

 

 

"...She's leaving...What do I do?....This doesn't feel right, it shouldn't end like this...Ugh, this is so undeniably cliche....But it really shouldn't...What did that rush mean? That thump?....No, I refuse to believe it...The last time it happened...Nothing went right....It all went left....Should I ask for another meeting, another year?...No..That doesn't work at  all.....C'mon Baek! You got only a few seconds before she...before she...."

 

 

As if someone had socked him the stomach with all the energy they had left, Baekhyun eyes widened.

 

 

"Before she leaves....Before she's out of your reach..for good...The nights you spent sleepless..The times where you always tried to look at her...The days where you tried to talkto her...The painful suspense of waiting for this day...Today....This time...You won't be able to pull her back....Even with all your might....This is it...It's time to start again....Realize it...You...You..."

 

 

 

"I love her." said Baekhyun

 

 

"I loved her all this time. Just like in the song, 'I'll say all the words, I couldn't before it's too late." he whispered.

 

 

"That's right...You have...Now..She's getting father away....Say those words....Before it's too late.....Before you end up confessing that you wanted to say the words you couldn't say."

 

 

Time started to flow again, and Baekhyun was astound at how everything flew back into time.

 

 

 

No, time never stopped or flow, it always had moved, it was his perception of it that deluded him into his thought trance.

 

 

 

Baekhyun took a few steps forward, he knew what to do now, he called out "Hey Wait!"

 

 

 

He watched as Eunji stopped and turned around, with a slightly hurt, slightly tired expression, "Hmmm?" she responded.

 

 

 

Baekhyun took a deep breath and as he opened his mouth, the words flew out but he even moved his lips.

 

 

"I love you..... I'm sorry you had to wait for so long."

 

 

There was no response for awhile, the girl had stared at the ground as the boy held his breath, it was his last chance, he was sure of it. Could he have been too impulsive, too rash into rushing it? Maybe, but the moment his steps felt lighter, his mind clearer and how he could feel everything in his body operate, then that's the answer he needs.

 

 

She looked up, and gave a lopsided grin as she walked up to him, "Well, 'I love you' is rather a rash and impulsive thing to say, especially to someone whom you've only held casual conversations with, it's more of a connection that you develope with that person over a long period. A response that you say to the person who can see the stars in your empty skies, and can cause you to feel butterflies when you see them, and the person that stands by your side and shows when you fall they catch you."

 

 

She stood on her toes to reach his height and she stared right into his eyes, "In that case, then my response would that while you did make me wait, I like you too."

 

 

She leaned in and gave him a peck on the cheek, and then she smiled cheekily, "Well, Let's see how this relationship can go, for now, I'll see you later Baekhyun."

 

 

And with that, she turned around and walked away with a little bit of a bounce in each step she took.

 

 

Baekhyun stood there, paralyzed, from what just happened. He grinned, and then glanced down at his now cold hot chocolate and then glanced up at the sky. Even though his drink was cold and he was kinda chilly from the snowflakes melting into his coat, he felt warm inside. He looked around and he laughed, turning around, he walked in the opposite Eunji did and that Christmas Eve, Baekhyun didn't feel lonely at all, even being surround by all the couples.

 

 

 

 

And he learned a few things from that one Christmas Eve. 

 

 

One, If you have something to say, say it before it's too late and it's out of reach.

 

 

Two, Sometimes you need to move on so you can be ease.

 

 

Three, miracles happen, even if it's the biggest, cheesiest, clichest, and luckiest thing that did.

 

 

 And Four, Jung Eunji is the most troublesome roadblock he's ever had.

 

 

 


 

[12/11/15]

 

 OH MY LORD! This was such a mess XD

 

I have no idea what I just wrote, it's probably full of plot holes and grammar errors, but I guess that's why it's a sloppy oneshot right?

 

Waiting until Christmas Eve to post it would've been a better idea, but I decided to post it now. Heh, maybe I'll write another one for the 24th, who knows?