Chapter 1

Of Stupidity and Mistakes

"Hyukjae? Where are you?"

Donghae stuck his head out of the door frame into the living room to find his boyfriend, but no blond hair was to be seen. He was about to walk to their bedroom to go find him, but the timer for the oven went off and he had to go turn it off lest the turkey burnt.

By the time he was done preventing their cozy apartment from catching fire and plating the turkey, it'd been half an hour since he'd called for Hyukjae. As a result, when Donghae finally did walk out of the room, Hyukjae was standing right at the doorway with his hands behind his back.

"Oh, Hyuk, there you are! I was looking for you a while ago, where did you go?"

The blond male smiled a bit and walked closer to the younger boy. He stopped steps in front of him and pulled the bouquet he was hiding behind his back out as if it were a magic trick and presented it to Donghae.

Donghae, loving the sweet sentiment, was smiling on the inside, but having had it done so many times, he rolled his eyes and snatched the flowers away from Hyukjae's giving hands. He walked back into the kitchen, back facing Hyukjae so that the older male wouldn't see him smelling the roses.

Ahhh, as sweet as cotton candy and as fresh as the morning breeze.

Unbeknownst to him, Hyukjae had been following behind the entire time, and instead of watching Donghae's reaction to the flowers, he was staring at some place a little lower down.

"Your is as fine as ever, Hae. Even though it's been 7 years, I'll never get tired of seeing that."

Donghae spun around faster than the speed of light and smacked Hyukjae with the flowers. He then proceeded to throw them in his face and shove him out of the kitchen before closing and locking the door.

Hyukjae sat on the floor and stared up at the shut door.

"Aww, Hae! C'mon, I was just joking!"

The sound of the door unlocking could be heard before it slid open and a tuft of brown hair poked out.

"Are you saying my isn't fine? You rude bastard."

Donghae then shut the door again and left Hyukjae to once again stare at the door with long, sad eyes. 


Hyukjae had resorted to texting. If past experiences had taught him anything, it was that once Donghae had his mind set on something, there was no changing it.

Including shutting Hyukjae out of the kitchen and, consequently, leaving him with no food for dinner.

cmon hae, just open the door! im gonna starve to death!

good

hae! dont be like that! if youre not gonna eat with me, at least give me something to eat!

no. you can go out and buy your own food,

excuse me? im the ? who the hell locked me out of my own kitchen?

you may have bought the apartment, but the kitchen is as good as mine seeing as you never step foot in here

i never step foot in there since you dont let me!

THATS BECAUSE YOULL BURN DOWN THE ENTIRE COMPLEX.

no i wont! youre over exaggerating!

uh huh. sure i am. why dont you call up sungmin and ask him if you can use his kitchen?

because hell say no!

and why is that?

...

... what

okay that is beside the point i only left the stove on because i was gonna use it again later but then i forgot

oh my god, youre absolutely useless without me

know! thats why i need you to make me dinner, hae! dont make me do it.

do what?

...

sweetheart, will you please make me something? i really wanna finish my meal up quick so i can have my dessert. im thinking something with... strawberries and whipped cream? and a cute little cherry for the top.

i mean the top.

...

can you go out and get me some lettuze and tomatos?

...

what

what?

lettuze and tomatos are you actually kidding me right now.

omfg

jesus christ how in the hell do you even get lettuze the 'c' key is clearly not beside the 'z' key. theres an 'x' key in between. how did you not even type 'lettuve' or 'lettuxe' or even 'lettude' but you typed 'lettuze' just

what

and it's not tomatos

theres an 'e'

its tomatoes

i realize that now you can stop

how does one even

hyukjae pls

pls dont do this to me

i just dont understand how you can mess up so badly and just

wow

hyukjae please just go get me the food

do you wanna eat tonight or what

alright alright ill be back in 10 minutes

thank you and dont get run over by a car okay i love you

i love you too hae, see you soon


OMFG HYUK

HYUKJAE

HYUKJAE PLS ANSWER

HYUK

WHAT HWAT WHAT OH MY GOD DID YOU BUR N THE H OUSE DOWN WAHT

NO ITS EVEN WORSE

WHATS WORSE THAN BURNING THE HOUSE DOWN?????

YOU KNOW HOW I ALWAYS PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS NOW

omfg what okay yes

I SAID MY NAME BY ACCIDENT OVER THE CHAT

OMG

jfc donghae wth

HYUK PLEASE IM FREAKING OUT

THERES THIS ONE KID WHO I REALLLLLY DONT WANT TO KNOW MY NAME AND I JUST SAID IT HELP HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO HELP YOU WHEN IM STANDING IN LINE TO PAY FOR THE GROCERIES

I DONT KNOW THINK OF SOMETHING I NEED HELP

WHY AM I SUPPOSED TO THINK OF SOMETHING

BECAUSE YOURE SMART AND IM STUPID? I DONT KNOW!

jesus christ sometimes i really hate you hae

just i dont know

is there anyone on there who knows you and your buds with?

yes sungmin plays with me, remember? i was freaking out about something and i accidentally said my name...

wait what were you freaking out about

nothing

donghae

nothing its nothing go on with the plan

-.- well just make something up like 'isnt donghae that kid in your math class' or something idk

but thats so lame

WTH DO YOU WANT FROM ME THATS THE BEST I CAN COME UP WITH CONSIDERING THE FACT IM STILL SHOPPING

OKAY OKAY JEEZ CALM DOWN

WTF

WHAT THE ACTUAL 

OKAY WHATEVER

GOODBYE DONGHAE I HAVE TO LEAVE FOREVER

BYE


"You are probably the most frustrating person I've ever met on the entire planet. In all 25 years of my life, I've never met anyone nearly as annoying as you are. You come to me with all your problems and you expect me to give you all the answers, when clearly I cannot answer them myself. So tell me, why, after almost 15 years of knowing each other, you are my best friend and I love you?"

Donghae just stared at Hyukjae's nose, red from the cold and pouted. 

"Aww, Hyukkie, was it cold out? Come here..."

Donghae then waddled over towards the blond and took off his coat before he hugged him tightly. He nestled his face into the crook of the blond's neck and sighed.

"I love you too, Hyukkie.Thank you for picking up the groceries. I'll go make you something now!"

Donghae pecked Hyukjae's lips very quickly and lifted up the bag of lettuce and tomatoes. He then carried it into the kitchen and closed and locked the door.

Hyukjae groaned.

"Lee Donghae!"

"I don't care what you do, I'm never letting you into the kitchen!"


Hyukjae flipped through the TV channels in an attempt to find something decent to watch. At that moment, his phone lit up. He put down the remote and ignored the screen that now played Running Man and picked up his phone.

hahaha omg hyukjae guess what just happened

what happened

a squirrel just stole a pms out of some guys hand

what

what

what even

do you mean a peanut

how the hell does peanut become pms

why the hell is pms more suggested on your phone than peanut

i dont ing know? ask my phone?

... okay just make the goddamn food

alright i am calm your woman

excuse me if anyones the woman here its you

alright then calm your

...

ill allow it


"Hyukjae! Here's your grandiose meal! I made it just for you!"

Donghae walked out of the kitchen with a plate behind his back. Hyukjae stared at him with anticipation and saliva dribbling out the side of his mouth. All the food that Donghae made was absolutely delectable, and he would never get enough of it. Just like the boy's fine .

Hyukjae's eyes shot straight to the plate when it was brought to his sight, and when Donghae moved his hand covering the food, he was greeted with a nice, solid

Sandwich.

A sandwich with lettuce, tomato slices and some turkey.

The bread wasn't even toasted.

"W-what is this? Donghae, I, what?"

Donghae's face was expressionless.

"If you wanna eat a ing five star meal, go to a five star restaurant. I'm not your maid."

Donghae threw the plate on the table in front of Hyukjae and stomped all the way to their room. Hyukjae followed quickly behind and shut the door behind them. Soon, sounds not for the young were coming from the room, and more specifically, from Donghae.

Hyukjae was having his dessert before his dinner.


sungmin are you wearing your coat? its chilly outside tonight

what are you my mom or something

you really are

im telling all the guys youre the mom now

what no

no no no i just wanted to make sure you didnt freeze

too late youre the mom now

-.- i do not appreciate this

uhh donghaes someones mom now?

my life


okay if youre calling donghae the 'mom' of the group which he clearly is not because he cant take care of himself

then im his mom

cause im the only one that s with him

accurate.

oh my god guys we seriously did not need to know that

lets be honest you really did

i mean

i hadnt meant it that way originally

but its still true

yeah

omfg you guys tmi i have to go peace

bye min

bye bish

and what the hell do you mean i cant take care of myself?

hyukjae?

hello?

did you die?

okay then

well

hmm


"Hyukjae? Are you at home?"

"I'm right here!" The voice sounded from their bedroom, and Donghae made his way into the shared room. There, Hyukjae was doing nothing more than just sitting and reading a manga.

"What are you reading?"

Hyukjae looked up with a gleam in his eyes.

"Haikyuu. It's honestly the best anime and manga ever. I've finished watching all the episodes up to what they've released so far, and I cannot wait any longer so I went and found the manga. You should really watch it, Hae, it's so good."

Donghae nodded along to what the blond was saying. He didn't typically watch anime, but one or two every now and then was alright.

"I might check it out. What's it about?"

Hyukjae set down the book and sat up properly in the bed. He cleared his throat and got ready to properly explain the entire thing to his boyfriend.

"Okay, so, it's about this kid named Hinata, and he really loves volleyball-"

"I'm out."

"What? Wait no, Donghae! The entire anime is focused around volleyball, yes, but Hinata goes to his first match of middle school-"

"Hyukjae, no. No volleyball, no sports, no Hinata and no anime."

"B-but Donghae!"

Donghae sighed. 

"Okay, play one hour of League of Legends with me and Sungmin and I'll watch an episode of Haikyuu."

"Deal."

"Alright cool, load it up 'cause we're playing right now."


uhh i have to go soon

me too i need to leave soon

school gets in the way of everything

it really does ugh

why cant they just

not make us go to school or let us stay at home

because some people actually value their education

-.- whatever not like youre one of them

touche

okay guys, i have to go now!

awww, okay, byeeeee! <333333333333

wtf

OMG NO

UHHHHHH

NO NO

I HAVE TO GO NOW BYE

WTF

I THOUGHT THAT WAS YOU

OH MY GOD

I THOUGHT

BECAUSE YOU SAID YOU HAD TO LEAVE

AND THEN

OH MY GOD

LEE HYUKJAE

IM SORRY

I REALLY DIDNT MEAN TO I HONESTLY THOUGHT IT WAS YOU

IM SORRY

you know im gonna use this against you right

i know...


Donghae walked into their apartment after having night classes for university. The lights were all off and it seemed as though nobody was home.

"Hyuk? You home?"

He received no reply, so the brunet set down his bag, took his shoes off and the light. He saw a small trail of rose petals leading to the bedroom, and, curious as he is, he followed them, not knowing what to expect at the end.

They stopped right at his shared room with Hyukjae, and Donghae could see a faint light coming from the inside of the room. Carefully, he opened the door only to be met with an otherwise empty room, save the rose petals scattered all over the bed and floor.

He felt a quick tap twice on his shoulder, and spinning around, he saw Hyukjae standing there in a crisp, black tuxedo, not a single crease to be seen. Said man then got down on one knee and smiled a tight lipped smile to the one he loved most.

"Lee Donghae. I could go on for hours and hours about how from the moment I first saw you, I knew I wanted to make you mine, but I'm going to spare you from that. Instead, I want to talk about now. I love every single moment that we go through. I love the little arguments that we always have and everybody thinks they're real, but we know that we're just messing around and having fun. I love how we can take the stupidest thing that either one of us does, like stealing a pms or sending hearts to the wrong person and just laugh about it. I love how every moment with you is a new one that I've never experienced before, and I am so glad that I get to share it with you. I love how frustrating and how frustrated you can get, and even when I break out into random song, you won't judge me, and sometimes you'll even sing along with me. Everything about you is absolutely perfect, and I wouldn't trade you for a single thing in the entire world. You're more that just my boyfriend, you're my best friend, and I'm so happy just to be able to have you here with me. So Lee Donghae, after 15 years of friendship and over 7 years of dating, would you make me even happier than I could possibly ever imagine, and marry me?"

Hyukjae smiled at him and Donghae smiled back, but tears were filling his eyes. He nodded many times and stuck out his left hand shakily. Hyukjae slid the ring onto the trembling finger very delicately and got up. He grabbed either side of Donghae's face and kissed him full on the lips, feeling the tears from Donghae stream down both of their faces. When he pulled away, he used his thumbs to wipe away any remaining tear treads.

"I'm so glad, Hae. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you."

"Even if you didn't propose, I'd never think of leaving you. You're my everything, and even if we mess up what we're trying to say 90% of the time, I'm glad that part of that 10% was your proposal."

"... So are you saying you wouldn't marry me if I messed up what I was saying when I proposed?"

"I mean, of course I would still say yes, but essentially, that is what I was saying."

"I hate you."

"I know."


a/n: merry christmas!