Teach Me Thai

Teach Me Thai

You were sitting in the practice room working on the 7th heaven rap you had heard Bam Bam perform dozens of times before but Thai was harder than you thought. You wanted to impress him and learn some of his native tongue since he was taking the time to learn English to speak to you in yours. Even though the rap wouldn’t really be talking to him, you thought he would appreciate the effort.

While you were working on getting it up to speed Bam Bam walked into the room. The pronunciation kept getting you tongue-tied.

Bam Bam walked up behind you.

“I can help you if you want.” He said confidently in English. He repeated the rap text insanely fast and you barely picked up anything he said.

“Say it slower so I can understand your gibberish.” You said.

He rapped it even faster this time, egging you on.

“You’re doing that on purpose!” you yelled as you walked over to the piano and began playing it ignoring Bam Bam’s pleas for you to let him actually help you.

“But hearing you mess up is so cute.” He said in his aegyo voice that usually you can’t resist.

You decided to give him the silent treatment since he didn’t take helping you seriously. He came over and poked the side of your face to get your attention and kept doing it until you acknowledged he was still there.

“Are you really that mad at me?” he pouted and did more aegyo to try to make you laugh. He might complain that he always gets called cute instead of many, but it brings it upon himself. “Why don’t I teach you some other basic Thai phrases first so you get the feel of the language and you can build your way up to the rap?”

“Fine,” you said, still acting frustrated with him.

“Ok let’s start with S̄wạs̄dī.” He said slowly. You tried to repeat what he said but your tongue doesn’t move the way his does. After you finally got it right he moved on.

“Awesome! That means hello. Now try: khuṇ pĕn xỳāngrị?” You tried to repeat what he said but your r’s didn’t roll the way they needed to. Bam Bam kept showing you how to do it properly and you continued to struggle with making your tongue comply with the Thai language. You noticed that while you were working on the r’s that Bam Bam couldn’t stop staring at your lips and tongue. It was embarrassing, but kind of cute.

            “That’s supposed to mean how are you, but with how you’re pronouncing it I don’t think anyone would understand you.” He laughed as you pouted and playfully punched him in the arm. Bam Bam immediately fell to the ground acting like you shattered him arm.

            “Help me! Oppa’s arm is so hurt that he can’t get back up!” he playfully said as he rolled around on the floor pretending to be in pain.

            You went from the piano bench to sit next him on the floor.

            “Stop whining and teach me something else.” You said, eager to learn some other Thai.

            “Okay,” he said thinking for a moment before smirking. “ This has less rolled consonants; repeat after me. C̄hạn t̂xngkār h̄ı̂ khuṇ cūb c̄hạn.”

            You repeat what he said almost perfectly on the first try. Bam Bam smiled before leaning over and kissing you on the cheek causing you to immediately blush.

            “YAH! What was that?” you yelled as he backed off.

            “You told me you wanted me to kiss you in Thai,” he smirked, “I couldn’t deny you your request in perfect Thai. He blushed and laughed as you sat there dumbfounded about what just happened.

            “I hate you.” You said playfully as you pouted and went back up to the piano and started working on the complicated rap again.

            “C̄hạn k̆ rạk khuṇ h̄emụ̄xn kạn. (I love you too.)” he said as he slipped out of the practice room, leaving you to wonder exactly what he said as he left.