Looking at her from the other side...

Behind the screen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Zain’s POV

 

Even though I couldn’t look at you at this very moment, I do know you must be crying you heart out, alone in the dark. If it’s not that I’m in US while you are back in Malaysia, I would just drop everything in my hand and be by you side, console and give you the every strength you need now.

I look at my watch, it’s eleven in the morning here, over there in Malaysia it should be midnight. I wonder for a while whether I should give you a call. I take out my phone and check my incoming messages. No, there is still no reply from you. From the record, you have not login to you Whatsapp account since yesterday, probably after you told me you have landed safely to Malaysia from Korea.

I re-type my message to you, hoping you will check your phone, even though I know the chance is low.

‘Are you feeling better now ?’

I lay down on my bed waiting for you to reply. Five minutes passes, but there is still no response. Once thirty minutes has passed, I couldn’t stop myself from worrying about you. I sit up and dial your number. It is connected but no one is picking up the phone. My heart is beeping so fast that I could hardly breathe.

Please pick up the phone now, Min Young, my head keep on saying the same word. At last, I get to hear your voice over the phone.

“Yes, Zain, why are you calling me at this hours ?” you ask.

“Why didn’t you check your phone ? Why didn’t you reply my message ?” there are so many question I want to ask but I control myself from going mad at you. Only god knows how I feel hearing your weak and slow voice.

Without feeling any wrong, you say, “Oh, I’m sorry Zain. My phone runs out of battery and I’ve set my phone in silent mode. That’s why I didn’t notice your message.”

‘Silent mode ?’ okay, I try to make myself believe in you, even though my heart is telling me something is amiss.

“Are you okay ?” I ask sincerely.

There is a deep silence before I hear you saying, “Yeah, I’m fine. There is nothing wrong with me. Why ? Is there anything wrong ?”

 “Nope, just asking. Just want to know how you are doing now, that’s all.”

“Oh.” Both of us drop into deep silence for about two minutes before you say you are still feeling jet-legged and want to rest early. I didn’t protest and let you hang up the phone.

Laying back on the bed, I could imagine you starting to cry again. No matter how you pretend in front of me, I can easily recognize it. And realizing you are in pain, my heart is in pain as well. How I wish I’m by your side now, giving you my shoulders to cry on. Soothing you in every way I can. But reality does not allow me to do so.

“Hey dude, why are you looking so stress ? Come on, It’s not the final exam yet, be cool man.” Michael, my roommate cries when he steps into the room finding me staring at the ceiling.

I laugh a little for his statement. “No worry, I’m just figuring out something. And yea, it’s not the final exam yet.”

He comes over and gives me a high five. “Yo, my brother is back. Oh yea, Teressa ask me to send her regards to you.”

“Then, send my regards to her as well. Help me to thank her for borrowing those books for my exam.” Pointing my finger  to the piles of book, I tell him.

Michael leave the room shortly after he clean himself up. Seeing him dress up at this hour, I know where he will be going, meet up with his girlfriend, Sarah.

Tossing on my bed, I try to fall asleep but images of you sobbing alone fill up my mind and that keep me awake. I turn around and check out what is the time now, the clock is showing three in the morning. Since I couldn’t sleep, I decide to study for my tomorrow papers.

While opening a drawer under the table, I suddenly notice this cute little box. I take it out and slowly open it. There is another round container in it, within it is small little notes wrapped like present made by you. One by one, I tear it open and read your present for me a week before I left for US. Tears once again fill up my eyes and fall like a waterfall, the same way I did last time.

~                                         ~                                         ~

“Erm, I know I shouldn’t be so nosy, but I saw in your resume that you had been to Korea and Japan for student exchange programme, am I right ?” you asked me for the first time when you came to open cashier counter beside me.

I nodded and smile, “Oh about that, yeah, I did.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter