Three

All That Was Lost

 

 

The only thing louder than the shattering sound of rain was your own mess of thoughts. It was cold out yet your ears burned, a tendency of yours whenever you felt this anxious. The phone call you had with Minho were on a constant loop in your head, you recall him asking where you were, literally, like right this very second.

It took you by surprise when he said he wanted to see you, leaving you lost for words that he had to make sure you hadn’t hung up on him. He’d asked if you were too busy and if it would be better to meet some other time, his voice dripping in disappointment. You cracked out a laugh, because the boy still has his old ways, you could almost see that puppy dog eyes he’d play out whenever he wanted something.

And you felt the same way, the fact that you wanted to see him too.

But not like this.

Not when the weather’s this ty- not when you’re this soaked.

And so you left him your address, when he reluctantly agreed to see you some other time. It must’ve have been two missed buses, before you rushed to get on the last one back.

 

~

 

By the time you reached the apartment lobby, you didn’t think that it was possible to be anymore drenched. Strands of your hair were plastered to your skin, as if you just had god damned shower, carelessly tying up into a bun. You got off the elevator just after that anticipated ping, already peeling off your coat and your shoes, which your crying feet were thankful for.

You almost tripped on flat ground as you come running, close to your apartment. Someone was waiting just outside your door, leaning against the wall, head down, hands stuffed in the pockets of his jacket. You weren’t sure why you were tiptoeing, it was your own apartment after all.

“Excuse me…?”  Your voice barely a whisper, a part of you wanted to run off, scared, because it could be anyone. It’s not like you’ve been here long enough to actually know anyone who’d come over without notice.

But the second he looked up at you, your heart suddenly stood still because it was-

Minho, Song Minho.

He was right in front of you, just a step away and it seemed like you’ve forgotten your entire vocabulary as you stare right back at him, frozen in place.

“Hi.” He rasps, just as startled as you are. He was smiling, so wide his cheekbones peeked. 

“H-hi.”

“I’m sorry, for showing up like this.” His voice was quiet as your gaze burned into him. “I just needed to make sure, I’ll leave-” Minho lets out an anxious laugh as your silence persisted. It was clear to him how terribly caught off guard he had you.

“No- I just didn’t expect this. I’m sorry, I’m a mess.” You breathe, looking down at your bare feet and storm stained clothes. Oh my god. 

“You need to change out of those clothes, you’ve gone blue.” He frowns and you curl slightly in a failed attempt to hide yourself. You dig your hands into your bag, it was difficult to tell if you were shaking out of shock, or the fact that you were freezing. Your hands rattled along with the keys, as you shoved it into the lock, bursting into the apartment out of habit. 

Flustered, you walked into the living room without inviting him in. It wasn’t until you turned around to realize that he’s still standing by the doorway, looking at you through curious eyes from the distance you’ve made.

Even when you’ve seen him through a screen, it took you some time to soak in, the fact that he looks so different.

He’s grown taller, you still remember how your neck craned to see him as he towered over you just seconds ago. He’d chop off those long locks that he would hold back with a headband, and sported a clean, shaven cut instead. He was leaner, much leaner- it highlighted the length of his shoulders. It might have been your eyesight, but he was glowing.

Was he always this handsome? 

“Aren’t you going to come in?”

“Are you sure?”

You almost laughed at his response, which you would have if he had asked you the same thing years ago. Minho would come by and storm into your room without thinking for a second the state you could be in as your room was practically his. Though sleep overs were strictly prohibited.

“Yes?” I wouldn’t have asked if I wasn’t, Minho-ah.

With a faint smile on his face, he shuffled to remove his shoes, closing the door gently behind him.

“Go on.” He hums, motioning his head to the side. “Change into something dry.” He chuckles at your puzzled expression, you utter a soft oh as you realize what he had meant. Minho couldn’t take his eyes off you as you scurry off, amused at how you were still the same girl who’s got too much going on in her head.

He would never have guessed that the two of you would meet again this way. Or in the middle of a packed train ride for that matter. Honestly, he didn’t give it much thought ever since he’d lost contact with you. There were times where he’d wonder where you are, and how you’re doing, and if you thought the same for him. But it was just a passing thought, because that was years ago, a childhood friendship that was meant to be in the past.

Yet seeing you that day, he wonders why he felt the same way as he does now. Minho had a hard time getting you out of his thoughts, which was why he took off tonight, the minute you ended the phone call. He needed to see it- you for himself, he needed to make sure that it was actually you. And when he saw you running bare feet, wet hair and nearly taking a tumble with all the stuff you’re carrying, his heart was skipping beats. He could tell you were trying to hide the nerves. You had the same skittish expression, and that unblinking stare just as he remembered it because you’re a terrible liar.

He hears the closing of a door and he sees that you’ve thrown on a sweater and a pair of sweats, looking much more steady than earlier. You walked up to him slowly, and you see a smile creeping on his face. You had a bad case of sweater paws, pulling your sleeves up as you offer him your hand.

Minho fights a smile because- a handshake? He takes your hand, only to pull you gently into a wistful hug that was long overdue. His move took you by surprise, just like everything that happened today which you still haven’t fully recovered from.

And now it was this.

You feel his hands pressed on your back and you wonder when yours had occupied his waist. The scent of his cologne was new to you, he never seemed to bother back then when you knew him. It was hard to believe that the boy you once knew, was this grown man in front of you.

“It’s been a long time, hasn’t it?” You hear his voice, deep in his chest. You pull back, tucking your hair behind your ears as you nod softly in agreement.

“Yeah, it has.” 

“Do you want something to drink?” You sputter out, walking towards the kitchen, because being that close to him felt somewhat overwhelming.

“Sure, yeah. Beer would be nice.”

You pause as you open the fridge, amused because you never thought to hear that from him. It was difficult for you to separate the fact that you and him weren’t a couple of school kids, but adults. You figured that it’s definitely been some time, for you to still be stuck in the past.

“I’m sorry will juice do? I don’t drink so I don’t have any.” You scoffed a breathless laugh, finding yourself quiet unbelievable, you’re not so much of an adult after all. Although, feeling slightly better when you hadn’t offered him the strawberry milk instead.

“Ah, really? Why don’t you?” He asks, raising his thick eyebrows as he learns something new about you.

“I just don’t handle it very well.”

 

~

 

The two of you ended up talking, catching up on things you’ve missed out on until late hours of the night. The awkwardness eased, and as it turns out, things felt like just like how it used to be.

“Are you seeing anyone?” He asks. You sat on the floor, back against the sofa, turning to look at him unsure if you’ve heard him right.

“I don’t know, am I?” You laugh quietly, tucking your knees in. Minho didn’t seem to find it as amusing as you did. “Why?”

“Just curious, you know- who he is, making you get over me.” He looks at you with a faint smirk on his face. You shot him a glare, were we ever together?

“Oh he did alright.” You say, breaking off eye contact as you smile to yourself. He was quiet then, what he started of as a joke turns out to be anything but.

“I don’t have anyone, Minho-ah. I’m not seeing anyone.” You muse, laughing silently at his reaction. He looks less than impressed at how your teasing never fails to amaze him, or distract him for that matter.

“You haven’t changed one bit, you know that.” He scoffs, raking his fingers through his hair as he rolls his tongue against his cheeks.

“Are you?”

“Am I..?

“Seeing anyone?”

“No, I’m not.” He says, giving you a lopsided smile. To be honest, you didn’t expect that from him. You were sure that if anyone was interested, he’d have to tell them to get in line.

“Is it because of the agency?” You ask, curious.

“They could care less. I mean for us now. Just as long you make sure the media don’t fuss too much, then you’re safe.”

“Then why not?”

“Just… because.” Your eyes wavered, as he looks at you that way. After a while, you see him shift, sitting straight up. He didn’t look at you this time, just staring off into an empty space straight ahead. “You know I was talking to Taehyunie the other day. And I asked what he would do if he saw someone he hadn’t seen in a long time. He said that depends on close you were, if you like them or not.” He pauses as he rubs the back of his neck, a small smile on his face. You studied him through the corner of your eyes, wondering where he’s getting at.

“And I know now, for sure, how close we were and how much I like you. Because without thinking- god I barely had my head on screwed straight that day- I went up to you, even when I wasn’t fully sure it was you. Even when there was a chance that it wasn’t you, but I went for it anyway.”

There was no doubt, how close the two of you were. It was to the point where people would ask where the other one is if one of you were to be seen alone.

And how much you liked each other?

It was a question that seemed to be asked by anyone that knew the both of you, always. But you’ve always brushed it off saying, of course I like him, he’s my friend, even when you knew that’s not what they meant. Minho, or you, have never brought it up. But you knew the answer the day you were told that you had to move away, because the first and only person that crossed your mind was him.

You stopped talking to him for days just to see what it was like, and you remember how much it hurt you just as it did when you saw his expression when you finally told him you were leaving. Which was also what confirmed his feelings for you. 

As you grew older, and years had passed, you’ve come to a conclusion that it was just a mere case of puppy love.

But you were wrong, because as of today, having him here, the things he’s saying, and the way he looks at you.

You were wrong, so wrong.

 

~