Psyche and Eros

Markjin Mythology
 
"Park Jinyoung, huh?" Nayeon scoffed, fixing her hair in the mirror. "Can he really be as handsome as they all say?" Mark shrugged from where he sat on the other side of the room while sharpening his arrows. "This stupid Park Jinyoung is ruining everything!" Nayeon whined, pounding her fists on the vanity.
 
Mark sighed, finally looking up from what he was doing. He knew his mom was a baby when it came to things, but he didn't think she would get this whiny. "Who's Park Jinyoung and why exactly is he ruining your life, mom?"
 
Nayeon huffed, crossing her arms. "Apparently there's some mortal boy who just recently came of age. Mortals say he's the most good looking person they've ever seen. More good looking than even me! Me." She stressed, standing and turning to her son.
 
"So? What does it matter what mortals think?"
 
"I'm the goddess of love and beauty! How could there be someone more good looking than me!?" Nayeon glared at her reflection in the mirror. "It matters what mortals think because they're the ones sending prayers and making offerings to me. Now they're all making offerings to that dumb mortal!" The goddess stomped, sending a loud boom throughout the room. 
 
Mark cringed at the noise, then stood and tried to expertly make his escape from the room without Nayeon noticing. He didn't want to be around when his mom was having one of her fits.
 
"And where do you think you're going, young man?"
 
Mark froze, letting out a breath. Guess he's not getting away that easily this time. The blonde turned, facing his mother. "My room, why?"
 
"You're not going to your room. How about you go on a little mission for me instead?" The goddess smiled brightly, making Mark flinch. He knew what that expression meant, and he wasn't looking forward to whatever his mom had in mind for him. "You're gonna go find this Park Jinyoung and shoot him with one of your love arrows when some gross creature is near him. Doesn't that sound hilarious?" Nayeon clapped her hands together, laughing almost maniacally.
 
It wasn't that hilarious, but Mark laughed along with his mother anyway, afraid of what she might do if he didn't. The young god didn't have any beef with this Park Jinyoung boy, but he wasn't about to say no to one of her discreetly hidden commands. "Now?"
 
"Yes now, duh!" Nayeon shooed him away, returning to her seat in front of the vanity.
 
Mark sighed, reaching for his bow and arrows and letting his wings unfold from behind his back.
 
---
 
"Park Jinyoung, just where could you be?" Mark scowled at nothing in particular, making his way from town to town in search of a handsome male. He wasn't informed of where to look, but if this Jinyoung guy was as good looking as his mother made him out to be, Mark shouldn't have trouble picking him out from the crowd.
 
It was when Mark had decided to lay down and rest for a bit that he found his target. A boy, likely a bit taller than himself, walked along the semi empty street with a bag slung over his shoulder. Mark was only sure it was Jinyoung when he turned and glanced in his general direction.
 
"Woah.." Mark subconsciously muttered, then covered his mouth instinctively. He was indeed the most handsome mortal he'd ever seen. Possibly even the most handsome being he'd ever seen, which was saying something considering the fact that he was constantly around godly beauty.
 
Mark quickly shook himself from his thoughts when he saw someone heading in Jinyoung's direction. It was a girl-probably the ugliest girl Mark had ever seen and even uglier in comparison to the beautiful male she was about to walk by. Seeing her instantly made the young god remember his mission; she would be perfect for the 'ugly creature' Jinyoung was to fall in love with. Mark reached for an arrow, positioning it by at his bow and aiming at the piece of art that was this mortal boy. Before he could shoot, however, something-or someone-tripped over him and knocked Mark over in the process. As the god fell to the ground, the tip of his arrow scratched against his hand, a small trail of blood forming. He looked up to find Jinyoung long in the distance, and silently cursed whoever had rammed into him.
 
"Sorry, mister!" Mark turned to see a young boy, no older than 5 or 6, running away after his lost kite while calling an apology to him.
 
As the blonde stood and inspected his wound, he suddenly felt his heart practically leap out of his chest. Thoughts of Jinyoung filled his brain, making him want to do nothing more but run after the insanely attractive male.
 
"Uh oh.." He muttered, realizing what he had done.
 
He had 'shot' himself with his own arrow.
 
---
 
"How is it, Jinyoung, that despite your good looks, your brothers are happily dating and you aren't?" Jae asked, crossing his arms.
 
"I-I'm not really sure, father." Jinyoung stated, not looking up from the book in his hands. His two brothers, Youngjae and Bambam had already been dating their respective boyfriends, Jaebum and Jackson, for almost a year now. Ironically, though Jinyoung was said to be the most handsome of the three siblings, no one had asked him out or given him any hints of wanting to date even once.
 
"It's not right. This must be a curse from the gods. We should see a fortune teller about your future." Jae concluded and Jinyoung sighed. Once his father came to a decision about something, ridiculous or not, he would never change his mind.
 
Less than a week later, Jinyoung found himself sitting in a dark room with his father, waiting for the woman to tell him what lied in his future.
 
"So..?" Jinyoung finally breaks the long period of silence.
 
"Oh dear.." The woman says, frowning at the cards she held in her hands.
 
"What is it?" Jae pipes up, eager to hear what the fortune teller was about to say. 
 
"I don't see a bright future for you're son, I'm afraid." The woman grimaces at the cards. "His future partner....is some type of beast. A monster, of some sort."
 
"Monster?" Jinyoung raised his eyebrows, his fingers fumbling with each other nervously. "What do you mean?"
 
"Your future partner....they're dangerous. Don't trust them; avoid them if you can."
 
---
 
Jinyoung spent the next few days with a lingering fear in the back of his mind. When would his dangerous future partner present themselves? How long would it be until he met them? Why was he cursed to have such a daunting, awful future?
 
Too much lost in thought, Jinyoung didn't realize where his legs were taking him one day. He arrived in some strange meadow, filled with beautiful flowers and tall grass. He saw a glimpse of a large manor behind a few trees and felt suddenly drawn to the building. When he arrived at the front, he was welcomed by many servants who worked there. They took Jinyoung in, giving him extravagantly expensive clothing to wear and taking him to the dining room to have dinner. That particular room, however, was very dark, the only light source being a single candle in the center of the large table. Jinyoung ate in uncertain silence until he felt a presence and knew he was no longer alone in the dark room.
 
"H-hello?" The ravenette muttered quietly, squinting to see if he could see the faintly outlined person's face.
 
"Hello, Jinyoung."
 
Jinyoung shuddered at the sound of the deep voice, his grip tightening on his fork. For some reason, a warm feeling gathered in his chest. "W-who are you?" He managed, giving up on trying to get a glimpse of the male's face.
 
"I'm your soon-to-be husband, of course."
 
The atmosphere of the room had to have been somewhat hypnotizing, because Jinyoung didn't have any negative connotation with the words the unknown male had just said. Instead, he found himself enjoying the company of his 'future husband' as dinner went on. He was incredibly charming and kind to Jinyoung, making the warm feeling in his chest return at random moments. He had no idea he had the capability of swooning so much over someone he didn't even see the face of. Everything about his deep voice, his seductive compliments, and his sense of humor made the dark-haired boy weak at the knees.
 
What surprised Jinyoung more, however, was his complete willingness to be led to the bedroom after dinner by the unknown male. Unfortunately, even the bedroom was pitch black and Jinyoung was still unable to see his face.
 
---
 
When Jinyoung awoke in a warm bed, the lights shining through the window and making the once dark room naturally illuminated, he quickly sat up and turned his head to where his future husband had been laying the night before. The man, however, was no longer there.
 
Jinyoung ran a hand through his messy hair, biting his lip at the thought of the previous night. How had the mysterious man won his heart so easily?
 
I don't even know what he looks like, let alone his name.
 
Nonetheless, something about the other male was extremely alluring and he couldn't help but allow himself to be drawn in by him.
 
The days went by just like the first for Jinyoung; his future husband would come at night when the rooms were dark and leave in the morning when it was light. The black-haired boy soon found out that the male wouldn't leave the large house completely, but instead retired to his own room during the daytime. He was prompted by the enticing man, however, to never try to look at his face in the light. Without really thinking much of it, Jinyoung obeyed the order, but that didn't stop him from being curious once in a while.
 
"Um...sir-" Jinyoung began awkwardly one night, not knowing exactly how to address him. "Do you think my brothers could visit me tomorrow? It's been forever since I've seen them..."
 
The man hesitated before sighing, "I'm not sure that's a great idea."
 
He seemed pretty bent on not having any visitors, but Jinyoung wasn't giving up that easily. After a good amount of pleading and even some aegyo, his husband-to-be reluctantly complied.
 
---
 
"Wow..by the way you describe him, your fiancée sounds great!" Youngjae smiled, patting his brother on the back proudly. "And you seem really happy too."
 
Jinyoung returned his brother's smile. "I am."
 
"What did you say his name was again?" Bambam chimed in, his tone curious.
 
"Oh yeah, and is he handsome?" Youngjae added, looking at his brother expectingly.
 
"U-um, actually..." Jinyoung bowed his head a bit, his hand coming up to scratch the back of his neck awkwardly. "I-I'm not exactly sure." The two males seemed confused, so Jinyoung went on to explain hesitantly. "Well...he really only comes to me at night when it's too dark to see his face, a-and he's never actually told me his name.."
 
"Uh, WHAT!?" Both of his brothers yelled in unison, their shock clearly showing on their bewildered faces.
 
"What do you mean, 'too dark to see his face'? And how could he not tell you his name?" Bambam questioned, completely taken aback by the whole situation.
 
"Don't you think that's a little suspicious, Jinyoung? What about that fortune teller's prediction?" Youngjae asked, new concern for his brother's safety showing in his tone.
 
"N-no, trust me guys. He really doesn't seem like the type-"
 
"But how can you be sure?"
 
"Well, I can't really be su-"
 
"Exactly!" Bambam threw his hands up in exclamation.
 
Youngjae slowly made his way to Jinyoung whose head was now hanging even lower. The younger sat down beside his brother, rubbing a comforting hand on his back. "We're just worried for you, you know that right? Remember what the fortune teller lady said? Dad told me she said that your future partner would be abusive and destructive. I think you need to get a good look at this guy and see for yourself if he is indeed exactly as he makes himself out to be."
 
Jinyoung thought back to the day him and his father visited the fortune teller. She had specifically used the word 'monster.' But there's no way his future husband was a monster. He didn't act like one and probably didn't look like one.
 
Or did he?
 
"Maybe you guys are right..." Jinyoung said softly, smiling halfheartedly at his brothers. "I'll try to sneak into his room tonight with an oil lamp from outside when he's sleeping."
 
"Maybe you should take this just in case he really does turn out to be some awful beast or something." Bambam hands Jinyoung a pocket knife and the dark haired boy frowns. The thought of using a knife on the man who had been nothing but kind and loving to him made him cringe. He would get a look at his fiancée tonight and prove his brothers wrong.
 
Hopefully.
 
---
 
Jinyoung felt the warm arms around him slowly coming loose, the blankets being pulled back as the man who had been cuddling Jinyoung close to him come to a sitting position. The dark-haired boy kept his eyes shut, pretending to be asleep as the man stood and quietly made his way to the door. Once it clicked shut behind him, Jinyoung sat up. He sighed and and stood, making his way to the discarded pants of his that littered the floor and picked them up. He tugged them on then reached under the bed for the oil lamp he had snuck from outside earlier that day. After lighting it and checking his pocket to see if the pocket knife was still there, he quietly left the room.
 
Jinyoung hesitated once he arrived in front of his future husband's 'forbidden' room. It hadn't been long since the man left his side and went to his own bed, so he was most likely still in the process of falling asleep. Jinyoung waited a little longer outside the door, then let his curiosity get the better of him as he silently creeped into the room. Thankfully, the still outline of the man seemed to be in a deep sleep. The even, slow cadence of his breath calmed the dark-haired male. He needed calming, considering how much his heartbeat was currently racing.
 
Jinyoung tentatively brought the lamp closer to the bed, leaning in to see his very first glimpse of the male he'd found himself falling for all this time. As he came closer, however, he felt something sharp cut shallowly into his arm. Wincing silently at the pain, Jinyoung brought the lamp over to see a bag of arrows leaning against the bed. Although his small wound hurt, however, he was too preoccupied with finding out the identity of his lover/future husband to care too much about the cut.
 
Jinyoung leaned over the sleeping figure once again, this time bringing the lamp close enough to reveal the most handsome man Jinyoung had ever laid eyes on. He was stunningly good looking, his breath hitching in his throat as he gazed at the male's flawless facial features. His hair was a beautiful shade of blonde and seemed to fall perfectly over his forehead despite how messy it was from earlier. How could he have been missing out on seeing such a beautiful piece of art this whole time? 
 
Wanting to explore more of the sleeping beauty's handsome features, Jinyoung subconsciously leaned closer. He didn't notice the oil slowly spilling out of the lamp until the other male's eyes flung open, a yelp sounding from his lips as he reached for his now-burned arm.
 
It took the handsome blonde a few moments to fully realize what was going on; Jinyoung had broken his promise and discovered his real appearance. Without even hesitating, the man jumped off the bed and fled the room, leaving a confused and completely enamored Jinyoung behind him.
 
---
 
When the strikingly handsome man didn't return the next night, Jinyoung knew he had done something very bad. He laid in bed waiting and knowing he would never come, a pain burrowed deep in his chest. He had only wanted to see his future husband's identity; he hadn't wanted this to happen.
 
After laying for what seemed like forever, Jinyoung suddenly felt a presence in the room and sat up quickly, hoping to find that the blonde had returned to him. Unfortunately, he had not. Instead, an equally beautiful woman stood by the door. Jinyoung was struck by her strong aura, almost feeling like he should be bowing. "W-who-"
 
"I'm Nayeon, goddess of love and beauty." Jinyoung gaped at the words, trying to wrap his head around them. He was so surprised that he totally missed the tone of anger in the woman's voice.
 
"G-goddess!?"
 
Nayeon huffed, an incredulous look on her face as crossed her arms. "Yes, goddess! You know, the kind people are supposed to respect..?" She looked at Jinyoung expectingly, eyeing him up and down. 
 
The male gasped, immediately falling to the ground to bow with an apology. After a moment or so, Jinyoung hesitantly raised his head again. "M-may I ask what you're doing here...Nayeon?"
 
The goddess glared at the boy who cowered under her intense gaze. "I'm here because I'm angry at you, Mr. Park Jinyoung. For why, there's a couple reasons. One, do you realize how much damage you've done to my success as a godly figure by being so damn good looking for a mortal? Two, how could you have gone and seduced my son like that, of all people! And three, what kind of person are you, spilling oil on a god as beautiful as my handsome Markie!?" Nayeon stomped, working herself up a bit.
 
"I-I don't know what you're talking abo-"
 
Wait a minute, did she just say son?
 
"My future husband...he's your son!?"
 
Nayeon cringed at the mortal's words, her face going red with anger. "He's only in love with you because of your damn evil seduction! He was supposed to shoot you with a love arrow to make you fall for some hideous pig, but ended up falling for you himself instead!"
 
Jinyoung was frozen, not sure how to react to all of this new news.
 
"And now my poor Markie is home with a burned arm and a broken heart because someone broke their little promise."
 
Jinyoung's mind finally clicked, a sense of urgency washing over him. "I need to make it up to him...please, can I see him?"
 
Nayeon scoffed, laughing at the boy's ridiculous query. "I don't think so; Mark is hurt at home because of you, why would I let you see him ever again?"
 
Jinyoung returned to his hands and knees, his head bowing to the floor. "Please, Nayeon-beautiful, kind Nayeon- I'll do anything to see him. I-I love him." The deep feelings Jinyoung had quickly developed for the mysterious male, supposedly called Mark, were too great to give up on. He would go to any length to see the handsome, charming male again.
 
Nayeon frowned at Jinyoung's words, considering his pleas. "I suppose I could let you two see each other...but only after you do three tasks for me."
 
"Anything!" Jinyoung clasped his hands together. "What do I have to do? Whatever it is, I'll do it." 
 
---
 
The tasks certainly weren't easy.
 
Jinyoung sat, consciously sorting out mixed wheat, barley, poppyseed, chickpeas, lentils, and beans into their own respective piles. Nayeon was definitely doing this just to spite the brunette, causing him to huff with frustration.
 
This was the first task: sorting out a variety of different grains before Nayeon returned later that night. Jinyoung had been taken to the goddess's house and thrown into a room, messy with thousands of spilled grains.
 
"That damn wind goddess Jihyo. She thought it would be funny to play a prank on me and cause all of my jars of grain to spill everywhere." Jinyoung remembered what Nayeon had said before she left. "If you successfully sort out all of this by the time I arrive back home, then I'll give you your next task."
 
Jinyoung continued sorting, his patience running short. The task was very likely impossible, but he couldn't afford to give up just yet.
 
Then the dark-haired boy thought of something; was his fiancée, Mark, in the house as well? Nayeon had said he was her son and that he was at home, so wouldn't he be around as well?
 
Jinyoung stood at the thought, running to the door only to find it locked. Of course she locked it.
 
Sighing, the brunette went back to his task. Only, he noticed something. A small army of ants had gathered around the hundreds of grains and beans and had began sorting them for him. Jinyoung reveled at the sight, but quickly went about helping the ants. It would go by much quicker this way.
 
Needless to say, Nayeon was shocked when she returned to find everything successfully sorted. She hadn't expected Jinyoung to be so adamant.
 
The next task was slightly more dangerous.
 
Jinyoung was to cross a river near the goddess's house and gather wool from violent, untamed sheep. Thankfully, Jinyoung didn't have to actually make any contact with the sheep; there happened to be scraps of the wool caught on a nearby patch of briers.
 
Once again, Nayeon was shocked to see Jinyoung's second task completed. It occurred to her that she'd have to give him a harder task- a more dangerous one.
 
"The underworld!?"
 
Nayeon grinned, fixing her hair in the mirror. "Yep, the underworld." She confirmed, as if it was the most normal thing to say to anyone.
 
It wasn't. At least, not for Jinyoung.
 
"What am I supposed to do in the underworld!?"
 
"Collect beauty in this box-" she motioned to a small circular wooden box with a painting of a hand on it sitting on her vanity. "My self-esteem was hindered because of you, you know that? That's why I need you to collect more for me. Find the queen of the underworld, Sana, and tell her that I sent you."
 
Jinyoung hesitantly took the box in his hands, noticing how they were trembling slightly. "A-Am I just supposed to find a way to the underworld myself?"
 
Nayeon sighed and looked over to where the male stood, shooting him a bright smile. "Because I'm so nice, I'll send you off with a map that leads you to the entrance. And here," she opened one of the drawers of her vanity and pulled out a bag of small cakes as well as two golden coins. "These," she held out the cakes, "are for the dog," she emphasized, a smirk on her face, then held out the coins, "and these are for the ferry ride to and from the underworld. But for the rest, you're on your own."
 
---
 
The underworld was more than unpleasant-it was disturbing. Dozens of sickly, menacing-looking figures wandered by Jinyoung as he walked, head down to avoid making eye contact. He felt himself quivering, the ominous atmosphere leaving him uneasy and scared.  The ferry ride there had been unexpectedly quiet, the soulless looking man who was rowing it neither glancing at him or saying a word. In a way, Jinyoung had been grateful for that.
 
Somehow, the brunette found his way to the center of the underworld where he found a terrifyingly beautiful woman sitting on a dark, sickly throne. Assuming this was Sana, Jinyoung timidly introduced himself and stuttered while trying to explain his purpose for invading her territory uninvited.
 
"Nayeon sent you, huh?" Sana smiled warmly, her aura so much different than the rest of the underworld. "I suppose I can help you out if it's for her."
 
The queen took the box from Jinyoung's hand, bringing it behind the throne so the boy couldn't see. Despite Sana's undeniable beauty, something was still foreboding about her presence. When she returned from behind her throne and handed the box back to Jinyoung, it didn't feel any heavier than before, causing him to give the woman an unsure glance. Sana just laughed, and the male found it to be a somewhat haunting sound.
 
"Don't worry," she cooed softly, "I'm not deceiving you." She grinned, gently pushing Jinyoung on his way. "Bye bye, now!" 
 
Jinyoung quickly tried to navigate back the way he had come from, an uneasy feeling still causing his stomach to churn. He wanted to get out of this place as soon as possible.
 
The brunette barely avoided getting eaten alive by the three-headed dog that guarded the gate back to the ferry by quickly throwing it the cakes Nayeon had given him. Only when he had successfully made it to the ferry and exited the heavy underworld did Jinyoung begin to breathe normally again.
 
As he began making his way back to Nayeon's house, a wave of curiosity washed over him. The box was feeling even lighter since he left the underworld, and the whole situation with Sana gave him a bad taste in his mouth. Wanting to see if anything was actually inside the box, Jinyoung cautiously opened the lid.
 
All he could remember, however, was blackness.
 
---
 
"Markiee~" Nayeon bursted into her son's room unannounced and rushed over to the bed he was currently resting on. "Mommy has to run some errands, so be good while I'm gone! Don't leave the house, okay? You need sleep. Love you!" She placed a kiss on the blonde's forehead, the boy cringing only slightly at the action.
 
When his mother left, Mark let out a sigh of relief and shot up from the bed. The last thing he needed was more sleep. He had been resting for days, which didn't even make sense considering he had only been burned. 
 
His heart did, however, hurt a bit. Yes, Jinyoung had broken his promise and snuck into his room to get a glimpse of him, but he could hardly stay mad at the handsome boy. Mark missed him, more than he thought he could ever miss anyone, and his heart would constantly speed up at the mere thought of him.
 
Since Nayeon had left and not ordered one of her servants to keep a close eye on him, this was finally Mark's chance to escape the house and search for the boy he fell deeply in love with. Mark let his wings unfold from behind him as he dashed to the window, jumping out to search for his beautiful Jinyoung.
 
As if he knew where the male was all along, it didn't take him long to come across the brunette. To his surprise, however, Jinyoung was sprawled out on the ground unconscious.
 
"Jinyoung!?" Mark quickly landed, falling to his knees to make sure he was still breathing. To his relief, he was. Noticing the small box with a hand painted on it, Mark understood the situation. He grabbed the box and shoved it into his pocket, then reached out to carry Jinyoung in his arms as he flew back to his abode.
 
---
 
"M-Mark..." Mark heard a soft mumble from the sleeping figure in his arms laying beside him. He glanced at the boy, realizing he was talking in his sleep, and grinned to himself.
 
It was only when Jinyoung began to stir that he woke up, disoriented. The first thing that came to mind was his confusion on where he was. The next thing he noticed was the warm arms wrapped lovingly around his waist. He quickly turned his head, finding Mark smiling at him with the most gorgeous smile he'd ever laid eyes on in his life.
 
Jinyoung gasped. He was really there-in broad daylight- holding him in his strong yet gentle arms. "Morning, sleeping beauty."
 
The brunette stared, speechless. The sound of Mark's deep, alluring voice sent shivers running through Jinyoung's body. He hadn't heard his voice in a long time, and he'd never heard it before while also seeing his lips move along with the words. He subconsciously reached out his hands and placed them on both of the god's cheeks, his gaze flickering back and forth to each of Mark's dark brown eyes, then back to his tempting lips.
 
Then Jinyoung kissed him. 
 
Both males sunk into the kiss, their mouths moving at a slow syncopated rhythm. The kiss embodied so many things: desperation, love, passion, happiness. But most of all, it showed just how much the two missed each other's company.
 
"I love you." Mark muttered breathlessly against Jinyoung's lips, capturing them again in another adoring kiss.
 
"I love you too." Jinyoung breathed between kisses, smiling against the god's lips. "Promise you'll never leave me again."
 
"I promise."
 
---
 
Jinyoung and Mark had their wedding only a week later. Although Nayeon was against the marriage at the beginning, she didn't protest the ceremony and congratulated her son and son-in-law. Jinyoung had completed the three tasks, after all, so the goddess decided to no longer hold onto her grudge.
 
As another reward for the completion of Jinyoung's tasks, Yugyeom(the king of the gods) granted him with immortality. 
 
Mark and Jinyoung were now utterly in love, married as equals.
 
---
 
A/n: omg sorry this took so long to write and sorry it's so long looool. Also this photo made me pick Nayeon as Aphrodite