Sunday Mornings

Sunday Mornings

"Hey princess, are you ready? The carriage has arrived" whispered Zhou Mi as he poked his head through the door of his daughter's pink, fairytale-like room.

 

He took pride in decorating it from the planning to the purchasing of the furniture. Mi distinctly remembers Kyuhyun laughing off to the side at how excited he had gotten when Kyuhyun finally agreed to adopting Mei, a sweet, innocent, but clever Chinese girl from Zhou Mi's hometown. Mei, meaning gorgeous in Mi's native language, instantly took a liking to them when they had visited the orphanage two summers ago; Mei was 3 then.

 

"Hooray! Let's go!" the 5 year old squealed as she ran to her father; one of two.

 

"Shhhh! The dragon is still asleep!" Zhou Mi hissed as he scooped Mei into his arms, earning a giggle of delight from her; just like he always did when he referred to Kyuhyun as a dragon. They also passed the dungeon, Kyu's gaming room, on the way to the dining room.

 

"Wait! Daddy, we're not dressed for the tea party!" Mei suddenly remembered and insisted that Zhou Mi take her back to her room.

 

When they arrived after the short trip, Mei hopped out of his arms and hurriedly went to her purple bedazzled wardrobe. After shifting the hangers of clothing back and forth for the fifth time, she turned around with a smirk plastered upon her darling face; a face that greatly resembled the "evil maknae's" when he was up to no good. Although Mei wasn't their biological daughter, traits from both men have clearly rubbed off on her and made it feel like she was. They'd often jokingly get asked if she was, and Kyu and Mi would simply reply with a "thank you" and smile.

 

"Dad...?"

 

"Yes, Mei? What are you up to now?" Zhou Mi said as he knelt down in front of her, although, still towering over her. Her hands mysteriously holding something behind her back.

 

"This tea party is for princesses only. So you have to wear this," she giggled as she saw the look of surprise grow upon her father's face as she held up a magenta tutu resembling her own.

 

"But-" Zhou Mi tried to protest, but he was cut off by the flash of disappointment mixed with disapproval on Mei's chubby face. It was his weakness. Kyuhyun couldn't even resist succumbing to Mei with that adorable, yet faintly threatening, expression.

 

"Okay, but it doesn't match my outfit, do you have a navy blue tutu in there or..." Mi said as he rummaged through her wardrobe of costumes, which proved to be too tiny for him.

 

"Daddy, c'mon," Mei whined, “we’re going to be late to the party!"

 

"Alright, alright," Mi assured her as he reluctantly squeezed into the magenta tutu, “but where's my tiara? I need one to complete the desired look."

 

"Um... here you go!" Mei said after just seconds of searching, and held out a tiara decorated with various plastic rhinestones; that also proved too tiny for Mi, but he wore it anyways. She clapped her hands together in approval and excitement, unleashing a seemingly relentless stream of laughter as she looked at her silly father.

 

"Okay that's enough from you Mei-Mei, let's go" he whispered and let Mei climb onto his back for a piggyback ride.

 

He carried her into the dining room and set her down gently upon the large wooden table in the middle of the room. He placed his index finger upon his lips to signal to Mei that she was to be quiet, in which she nodded in agreement.

 

Mimi opened up the China closet behind him and then, with stealthy motions, he grabbed a tea set and a few tiny plates. Success. Mei moved her hands in a clapping motion but did not allow them to touch: a silent applause to which Zhou Mi proudly bowed.

 

"Wait right here. Don't touch a thing Mei, I mean it." Mi ordered in a hushed tone and tipped toed in the kitchen. He filled up the expensive China pitcher from the tea set with green tea and set various assorted cookies upon a small platter.

 

When he returned to the dining room, a huge grin grew upon Mei's face, a smile just as wide, goofy and sunshiny as Zhou Mi's. Mi ushered her off the table and placed a few tiny plates into her hands and warned her about how expensive they were. She understood.

 

"Tiptoe please, we wouldn't want to wake up the dragon!" Mi exclaimed as he lead the way back to Mei's room. "Almost there!"

 

Almost.

 

A crash was heard from behind Mimi and surely enough, one cracked China plate was shattered upon the floor. Zhou Mi took the rest of the plates from her hands and told her to run, for the dragon would be up any minute now. Mei heeded his warning and she ran underneath her covers giggling, for Mimi was always more "afraid" of this dragon than she was.

 

"Mi? What was that sound?" Kyuhyun called from their bedroom down the hall, however Mi did not answer. He stood in the hallway, tutu and all, munching on a bright yellow sugar cookie.

 

"Mi?" he called groggily again, this time getting up to see what was the matter, "Mi... what the?"

 

"Cookie?" Zhou Mi asked innocently as he held out a heart shaped cookie to Kyuhyun, purposely disregarding the mess upon the floor.

 

"Oh, thank you," Kyuhyun said, always happy with food, "but what is this mess! Please don't tell me that that plate is worth as much as I think it is."

 

Mi shrugged silently in defeat.

 

"I'll get the dust pan," Kyuhyun sighed and carefully walked past Zhou Mi, "by the way, your tutu is clashing with your outfit."

 

"That makes two of us clashing," was the response and both men giggled as Kyuhyun poked Zhou Mi in the stomach; both then going their separate ways. Mi continued into Mei's room and told her it was safe to come out now.

 

"Maybe if we set this up quickly, the dragon may join us!" Zhou Mi exclaimed, and proceeded to help set up the tiny table with the expensive China plates and all. They saw Kyuhyun huffing and puffing and muttering to himself out in the hallway, diligently cleaning up the mess; Kyuhyun cleaned for no one but those he loved the most... which was a good sign.

 

Mei abruptly got out of her chair and cautiously made her way towards Kyuhyun to avoid stepping on any pieces upon the floor. She leaned to whisper in his ear and Kyuhyun turned his head to smirk at Zhou Mi in response. Uh oh, double trouble, Zhou Mi thought to himself.

 

Mei innocently skipped back to her little chair, or throne as she liked to call it, and told Zhou Mi to close his eyes.

 

"No peeking" she giggled and Zhou Mi heard Kyuhyun walk into the fairyland that was his daughter's room.

 

"Okay, ready? 3, 2... 1, open!" Mei said prying Zhou Mi's hands away from his eyes.

 

"Whoa, what a hottie!" Zhou Mi said in surprise at Kyuhyun in a purple tutu and crown, "Did you happen to lose your slipper, your highness?" he continued to tease.

 

"Oh, be quiet. I've only lost my mind." He chuckled at his own joke and playfully punched Zhou Mi in the arm.

 

"Ladies, ladies! Play nice. Use your manners" Mei ordered defiantly; tea parties are not a laughing matter.

 

"Sorry, princess Mei" Kyuhyun and Zhou Mi apologized at the same time.

 

"Now, princesses, you may eat."

 

For the rest of the morning, they chuckled and chewed on cookies. The dragon became a princess and a plate was shattered. But most importantly, they lived happily ever after.


The end.