School Dance

School Dance - Yongguk

- Yongguk’s POV -

Pulsating music pounded from the large speakers scattered around the gym, lights were moving about the space over the heads of the crowd. Standing by the doorway, I shifted weight from one foot to the other as my eyes slowly scanned the faces of everyone in the school’s gym. Trying to find a familiar face in the crowd, I slowly walked around the perimeter before making my way back to my spot back by the open doors.

Song after song, I watched boys ask girls to dance and guided them out to the dance floor before finding an open spot and twirling the girls into their arms before swaying to the song. Scanning the room once more, I slid my hands into the pockets of my jeans just as my eyes caught a familiar face entering the scene.

“______” I whispered your name into the air around me, my eyes stuck on your beautiful face and your hair all perfect and framing your face effortlessly.

My eyes slowly dropped and scanned over the outfit you chose to wear, a beautiful pair of jeans that hugged your curves just right, comfy sneakers and a casual but flattering top, rounded off the outfit. Slowly slipping through groups of people, I watched you, following you with my eyes as you stood by yourself in a slightly open area around the dance floor.

Song after song, I watched you stand there, my heart pounding out of my chest while my mind wondering if you would ever look my direction and if you did, would you come over and talk or just look away? my lips slowly, I tugged on my bottom lip that settled between my teeth.

The lights in the atmosphere began to change as I knew that a slow song was going to play next. Taking in a deep breath, I listened to the introduction of the song debating if the song would be suitable for you and I to dance to. Slowly gathering the courage, I ran over what I was going to ask a few times. Looking up from the tops of my shoes I saw a man approach you, my heart dropped as his hand reached out, a smile curled on your lips as a pain began to pierce my heart. Sliding your hand into his, I watched helplessly as he guided you through groups of people then out of the dance floor.

His hand wrapped around yours, one hand of his resting on your mid back while your hand rested on his shoulder, the free hands of one another were clasped off to the side as I watched your lips move, smiles coming and going between the conversation until the song faded out. The two of you stopped and he twirled you once more before the two of you parted, watching the guy walk back to his group of friends you wondered back to your spot as a smile remained on your face.

More songs passed as I watched you try to join a nearby group, just to be pushed away again. Taking in a deep breath, I slowly began to walk towards you yet when I noticed you walking in my direction, I tried to advert my eyes not wanting to cause any awkwardness between us. As you passed, I watched you as you glanced in my direction.

“Hey” I squeaked quietly, turning your head, you smiled

“Hey” You replied as you continued to keep walking

Following you with my eyes one more, you walked over to the refreshment table and poured a cup of water for yourself. Slowly lifting the paper cup up and pressing it to your lips, you sipped the water slowly before you tossed the cup and stood a little off of the table.

Another slow song played as I watched another guy approach you, taking away yet another chance of me asking you to dance. Watching him dance with you, you smiling at him and laughing as he twirled you and held you close to him. I wondered around the perimeter, not being able to take much more of watching you with another man.

Steadying my heart, I wondered around for the next few songs before I found you among the crowd again. Watching you move a little to the beat, I smiled and observed you for a while before turning my attention to some guys break dancing in the middle of a circle enclosed around them.

- Your POV -

Your eyes wondered to the perimeter where Yongguk stood, his hands firmly planted in his pockets. Taking a deep breath, you ran your fingers through your hair trying to fix it while you slipped in between people, eventually standing closer to him than before.

Fanning yourself a little, you felt your heart beat faster than while you were dancing as you glanced at him from the corner of your eye. The lights dropped again, signaling another slow song as you dropped your head, your tongue moving over your lips as a subtle taste of your lip gloss lingered on your lips.

“Would you like to dance?” A soft but deep voice offered, lifting your head up slowly, you saw his outreached hand. Following his hand to his arm then to his torso, your eyes wondered over his face as you smiled brightly.

“I would love to Yongguk” You rested your hand in his, his fingers closing around yours.

The two of you walked a few steps, towards the middle of the dance floor, before his arm wrapped around your waist, his hand shaking a little as it pressing into your mid to low back. Your hand slid up his arm and rested on his shoulder blade as he smiled while the music slowly swayed both of your bodies in sync with one another.

Looking up at him, you found his eyes wondering as doubt began to fill your mind. Dropping your eyes, you felt an awkward silence form between the two of you, hearing him taking in deep breaths, then him clearing his throat, he brushed his thumb across your back trying to subtly catch your attention.

“So do you come here often?” He managed to ask as you smiled and shook your head gently.

“I usually don’t come to a lot of dances…” You reply over the music

“Why not? It looked like you really like to dance” Yongguk seemed to relax a little as he moved a little closer to him.

“Well… I usually have no one to talk with and most of the guys are a little…. well… you know” You backed down from the words you wanted to tell him towards the end, yet he understood the picture that you were painting with your words.

“I know what you mean” He reassured, a smile pulling on his pink lips.

“Do you go to a lot of dances?” You turned the question back on him

“No, not usually” He shrugged his shoulders as you nodded not knowing what to ask him.

Hearing the song fade, his movements slowed as you looked up at him, his eyes slowly traveled across your face as he backed away and twirled you before bowing to you slightly.

“Thank you for the dance Yongguk” You smiled at him, bowing back. Turning away from him slowly, you felt his hand on your arm.

“It’s a little hot in here… d-d-o you want to head o-outside for some fresh air?” He questioned, stammering a little from the nerves that were running rapidly inside of him, you listened to the current song playing as you didn’t know it that well.

“That sounds great!” You told him happily, the two of you walked out a side entrance from the gym then down the back stairway then out the exterior doors.

The rush of cool night air hit your warm skin harshly causing a content sigh to escape your lips and your eyes to flutter closed at the different but exhilarating sensation.

“This feels so good” Yongguk commented beside you as you hummed with a nod.

“It was getting really hot in the gym” You opened your eyes and turned your head in his direction.

“Mhmmm” He hummed, “Have you… started the paper in Biology yet?” Yongguk wanted to ask you something but backed down at the last minute and played it safe instead.

“I haven’t, have you?” You questioned, watching his features on his face relax as he chuckled under his breath while shaking his head.

“You know me, I don’t do things until the last minute” He teased, “Well… most things” He corrected himself

“Oh? What things don’t you do last minute?” You questioned, highly curious since you knew him for a while and hadn’t picked up on that aspect of him yet.

“Hrmmm, usually asking someone out, I don’t wait until the last minute” Yongguk glanced over at you, your head turned and nodded.

“That wouldn’t be very nice of the guy to ask last minute” You mumbled, feeling a little awkward once again. The night air silenced the conversation between the two of you, sliding your hands into your pocket, you cocked one of your legs as you watched the starts twinkle in the sky.

“I wanted to ask this for a long time…” Yongguk started, your eyes turning away from the stars in the sky to the ones in his eyes.

“Longer than you wanting to ask me to dance?” You posed, knowing he had been watching you just as long as you watching him.

Nodding his head, he bit his bottom lip before his question rolled off of his tongue. “Would you like to go on a date with me?”

“I would love to” You nodded your head as he beamed brightly, a gust of wind brushed past the two of you causing both of you to shiver.

“Let’s go inside and finish the dance, there may be a few slow songs left” Yongguk held the door open for you as you couldn’t help but smile, wondering what this would blossom into.