Setting The (Seoul) Scene

Bangtan (flower) Boys
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Episode (chapter) One 

Daegu is a charming city; sure, you could call it that.

But where Kim Taehyung is specifically from, there isn't a lot of proclaimed 'charm' to elaborate on.

One could argue that the part of the city where he lives in is full of its own unique merits, superficial or otherwise. From its long, watery paddy fields in the countryside to its old-fashioned yet kindly countryfolk, and old-school amenities.

But really, only the locals ever go out of their way to attribute ol' Daegu to something worth mentioning, and that tells all that needs to be told.

Kim Taehyung certainly doesn't feel like it offers him anything he could brag about, and to his knowledge neither do his same-age friends. All of whom aspire to move to the bigger metropolitan cities, like Seoul and Busan, in search of excitement, passion, and even

—romance.

It's on the topic of such big-name cities and a boast of their respective merits that has Taehyung listening attentively to his childhood friend, Min Yoongi.

"—Ahem, so as I was saying before my mouth decided to turn to cotton," Yoongi hands back the crumpled water bottle, mumbling a quick thanks before continuing. The two are sitting at a local cafe, with Yoongi having just finished a burger(starting on a second one) and Taehyung having just brought a water(he didn't come for the food).

He works at the cafe but he's on break. Five minutes is more than enough time to indulge Yoongi's tales of the great big city.

"They say there's a lot to see in Seoul. Good food, hot girls, crazy street fashion, and a lot of great- colleges to go to. So, what do you say? It's been about a year since you graduated from high school, about three years for me. They also say young people aren't meant to stay rooted in one place, y'know."

They both know how Taehyung feels on this— but somehow, Yoongi decides it necessary to ask him the question on a regular basis anyways.

Taehyung suspects the other is up to something, but he'll always indulge his best friend of ten plus years(ever since grade school to be exact).

"You know me, Yoongi-hyung. Just like you, I'll do anything to get of this rice paddy-forsaken city."

Yoongi smiles, giving him a friendly pat on the shoulder. "You stole the words right out of my mouth, Taehyung-ah! Now, 'rice paddy-forsaken city' right there is the perfect definition of our beloved city. You're a true Daegu boy!"

On occasion, it suprises Taehyung him how energetic the other can get at times. Yoongi is usually so laidback, the type to fall dead asleep on a subway without regard for how the other patrons view him, and the first to brush off a rude remark by friend and stranger alike.

It's clear that it's not just Taehyung that's itching to get out, to start his life anew in a place that isn't here.

He smiles, all boxy charisma and agreeable eyes, "Well, we Daegu boys have to stick together, yeah?"

"in'— hell yeah, pretty boy!"

The expletive is said at a volume considerably higher than a whisper and earns the two scathing looks from the customers around them.

Taehyung shrinks back but Yoongi is unrepentent.

"Geez, hyung, can you keep it down? I know you're excited...I am, too! You're leaving for Seoul in a week, after all, but can't you hold off the rapper persona until you actually do make the move?"

It's true; Yoongi has dreams of becoming a rapper, which is exactly why he's so dead-set on moving to Seoul(and because of Taehyung's similar, music-oriented dream, also keen on bringing him with!) where only the best music colleges reside.

Yoongi shrugs. "Ah, sorry—"

"No, you're not."

"Heh, you're right."

He's off-handedly assessing the state of Yoongi's burger, and figures it'll take about two mor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter