Play Date

Play Date
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There are a lot of things that the simple human mind can't comprehend. From complicated philosophical matters such as the meaning of life, to seemingly trivial things like the reason behind yawning. Somehow, words aren't enough when it comes to things like that. There's a vast number of phenomena that simply cannot be explained. Just like the story of Henry and Amber.

Henry Lau and Amber Liu are two simple children living ordinary lives. Both are fairly healthy, both are superbly talented, and both are extremely loved by their families. What sets them apart is the inexplicable bond that they share. A bond forged in the stars before they were even born. Their story starts with their parents.

 

 

Mr. and Mrs. Lau arrived at their new home in California after Mr. Lau was promoted to a higher position. They moved from Canada and they were highly optimistic about their future in the city of angels, Los Angeles. The law of attraction was then set into motion. Their positive outlook invited positive energy into their lives thus, Mr. and Mrs. Liu came knocking on their door on their first day in their new home.

Mr. and Mrs. Liu welcomed the couple into the neighborhood with a warm homemade apple pie and equally warm smiles. Seeing as they all shared the same origins, culture, and beliefs, they managed to create a bond in a short span of time. Mr. Lau found out that Mr. Liu worked in the same company as him and they began to delve into their own world of business and sports. Meanwhile, Mrs. Liu saw Mrs. Lau's grand piano and they were soon immersed in talks about music and the arts. 

Their friendship continued to blossom as they went to the same church and as they happened to have their first children at the same time. Both wives were unbelievably happy that they'll be experiencing motherhood at the same time. Mrs. Lau and Mrs. Liu became best friends as they shared the highs and lows of pregnancy while Mr. Lau and Mr. Liu were there for each other when their wives' hormonal episodes and weird cravings forced them to buy food at three in the morning.

This is the world that Henry and Amber were born into. They were loved not only by their own parents but also by their parents' best friends. The unbelievable amount of love they received even before they were born might be the reason why the two children seem to have an infinite amount of love to give.

 

 

Henry was born first. He was a very healthy and active baby and was very much doted on by his parents. Amber was born a month after. Amber was the opposite of Henry. She never gave her parents a hard time, but she was sickly as a baby. This made them love her even more. This marked the official start of Henry and Amber's story.

The law of attraction was set into motion for the second time. This time, opposites were bound to attract. As Mrs. Lau and Mrs. Liu spent time together, they noticed a surprising change in Henry and Amber. Amber became less sickly as she spent more time around Henry and Henry began to be more well-behaved as he spent more time around Amber. The two infants seem to be feeding off of each other's energy in an entirely positive way. This was when both families realized that the two children were good for each other.

As time went on, the infants grew to become two very happy toddlers. Even before they could utter their first words, they were already craving for each other's company. Mr. Lau and Mr. Liu were amazed by their children's dynamics. By some sort of coincidence, they both had the same schedules and their bodies seem to tick to the same biological clock. 

Henry and Amber's room face each other so they can see each other from their windows every single day. And every single day, after they have taken their naps, they would stand from their crib, face the window, and smile and laugh at each other from their own respective rooms. Their parents first dismissed this but once they figured out that it happened every single day at a very specific time, they began to look out the window too. To their surprise, Mr. and Mrs. Lau saw Amber smiling and laughing from the other side and Mr. and Mrs. Liu were just as surprised to see Henry doing the same. Their parents witnessed the first instances of how they made each other happy.

 

 

Then they learned how to walk and talk. They were bound to be playmates since they were next door neighbors and their parents are each other's best friends.  Henry and Amber became inseparable. Mrs. Lau and Mrs. Liu would often have big smiles on their faces as they look on at their children. Henry and Amber would play for hours and hours and they would be the happiest during those moments. They built castles filled with dungeons and dragons in their imaginations. They were the town bandits in their imaginary world. They were anything and everything as long as they were together.

Mr. Lau would wear a proud smile whenever Henry would act like a protective big brother to Amber. She was still a little bit fragile, but she grew a little bit stronger with every moment she spent with Henry. Henry would always take on the role of being Amber's protector. He knew that she was weaker than him so he would always watch over her whenever they would chase each other around the yard. Of course, Henry didn't know that he was doing this. He was a mere child after all.

"Henry! Let's be pirates!" Amber suggested as she began climbing up the tree. Henry, sensing the possible danger that Amber might put herself into, tried coaxing her into something a little less dangerous. "But Amber! Pirates live in ships on seas! They don't climb trees!" "Oh! Right!" The little girl laughed as she climbed down the tree.

"Amber! Look at that!" Henry said as he pointed to the dragonfly. "Woah! It's so cool! What is it, Henry?" Amber asked. Henry always knew the answer. Even when he didn't, he always had an answer. "Let's go ask dad!" He said as he pulled the little girl to where Mr. Lau was seated. "Daddy! What's that?" He pointed to the little dragonfly perched on top of the dandelion. "You know what that is little guy!" Mr. Lau said. "But I don't!" Henry exclaimed. "Well, what does it look like?" Mr. Lau prodded. "Oh, I know! I know!" Amber excitedly jumped. "It looks like a little baby dragon with little baby dragon wings!" She said as her imagination ran wild. "Great job Amber!" Mr. Lau said. "It's a dragonfly!" Henry was amazed. He thought that dragons lived in a far away land, or at least that's what they always said in the movies. He looked at Amber and he realized that nothing was impossible as long as she's with him.

"Wow!" Amber was just as speechless. "A real life dragon! Henry look! Let's come closer!" Henry was a bit hesitant. After all, dragons were supposed to spew fire. Mr. Lau, sensing Henry's doubt, was quick to comfort the little boy. "Don't worry Henry, those dragons don't breathe fire! It's also just a small baby so you have nothing to worry about!" Henry smiled at this and went together with Amber to take a better look at the dragonfly.

 

 

Mrs. Lau and Mrs. Liu would always have brunch together on the weekends. Henry and Amber always looked forward to that. They would always play pretend and be every single thing that they can imagine. 

"Henry! What do we do now?" Said the little girl in pigtails. They have managed to exhaust their imagination after hours of playing pretend. But Henry always knew what to do. "I know! Let's play house!" The little boy jumped up and held his hand to the girl sitting on the floor. "I'll be the dad and you'll be the mom!" He continued as he lead the girl into his play room. "Cool! And little miss bunny rabbit will be one of our babies!" Added Amber as her imagination began to work.

"You know, it's all fun and games now," Started Mrs. Lau. "But I wouldn't mind if it becomes a reality sometime in the near future." Ended Mrs. Liu with a smile.

"Come on Henry! Let's go to the grocery! I think we're running out of eggs!" Amber shouted as she went through their imaginary pantry. "Alright, Ambie! Let's get going!" Henry liked calling her that and she didn't  seem to mind too.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter