One

Acquaintances

The day Oh Yoonseo walked through the lobby of her new dorm, she was met with an overly smiley woman. After travelling quite a long journey from her hometown to her university, she just wanted to plop down and sleep. The woman however, decided it was necessary to go through all of the rules of the dorm in the student book she received right that moment.

After finally receiving the key to her room, Yoonseo rolled two of her suitcases toward her room. Unfortunately, the elevator was broken that day. Lucky for her, however, it was only on the second floor, so she didn't struggle much lugging her suitcases up the stairs.

Upon arriving in front of her room, she can see that there are a number of rooms along the hallway. Stepping along the corridor, she saw the door with a the sign 206 on it at the end of the hall.

Well, this is it. She said to herself as she grabbed the keys the receptionist gave her and unlocked the door.

The first thing she saw when she entered her room were the boxes of stuff from back home, waiting for her to unpack it. Before doing so, Yoonseo had decided to give herself a mini tour of her room. There wasn't much to explore though, due to the size. However she was pleased with it. The room had a little kitchen, and also a bathroom.

After deciding that she was satisfied with her room, she then proceed to unpacking her belongings.

-

The next day, Yoonseo woke up a little later than she usually would.

After unpacking and placing her things to her liking until late, she decided to just relax for the next day. It was Saturday, and her orientation only starts on Monday. She had enough time to just spend the day laying around and can start preparing for orientation the following day.

Yoonseo was busy rummaging through her stuff for some food. It was a habit of hers to eat something, anything, for breakfast or she'd start feeling faint. She however, had to face the truth that there wasn't anything she could eat at the moment. She groaned as her plans to stay in all day in her pjs doing nothing have to be delayed with a quick trip to the supermarket.

She was about to change out of her pjs when she heard someone knocking on her door. Confused, Yeonsoo wanted to peek who it was but realised that there wasn't a peep hole on her door. 

Dang it, she thought.

She was planning to ignore the person knocking on the door. However, she thought it might be important so she decided against it. As she opened the door, she wasn't expecting it. Nope, not at all. In front of her stood a boy dressed in a a black tank top and jeans with a SnapBack to top it off. Not to mention he was quite buff and a little bit taller than her.

Wow he looks like he came out from a video game. Was what Yoonseo thought of first. She then looked down to what she was wearing; a baggy shirt and puppies printed pyjama pants. She internally groaned. Great first impression.


"Hello there." The guy spoke up cheerfully, pulling Yoonseo from her thoughts. Yoonseo looked back up to the boy and gave him a nod-like bow. The boy gave her a big grin which reminded Yoonseo of the puppies printed on her pants. They both stood there for a while. The boy with his grin and Yoonseo feeling awkward and hungry.

"Uh, do you need anything?" Yoonseo broke the silence. She was getting hungrier by the second and would like to go get groceries soon so she can start her "laze around the house with pjs" day.

"Oh, sorry." The boy said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm Wang Jackson and I live in the room across from you. I'm from HongKong but I've been here since second year of high school. Anyways, I just wanted to come and greet my neighbours since I'm new and only start on Monday as a freshman. Thought it would be nice to make friends first before I start since we might just be in the same major."

As soon as he stopped talking, one thing came into Yoonseo's mind. This boy can sure talk. He was talking nonstop and at quite a fast pace despite saying that he was a foreigner. She looked back at him and he was looking back and forth from her and his outstretched hand which she quickly shook.

"I'm Oh Yoonseo and I'm also a freshman." She spoke briefly hoping this Jackson guy would deem it enough and proceed to go to the other rooms. Wrong. As soon as she said that she was a freshman, his grin got even bigger.

"Really? That's great! " he exclaimed. "I almost thought you were a senior. What major are you in? What electives are you planning to take? Do you know all the people living on this floor? Are there any other freshman?"

Before she could answer any of those question, her stomach started to growl. Quite loudly she might add. Yoonseo can also feel her face starting to burn from embarrassment. Jackson however, instead of laughing at her, had looked quite concerned.

"Oh, sorry were you about to have breakfast?" He asked.

"Nah, don't have any food supplies. I was just about to head to the nearest convenience store." She explained. "Oh, and to answer all of your questions. I'm planning to major in business and taking literature as an elective. And no, I haven't met anyone from this floor since I just got here last night."

"I see." He answered, he then told her to wait and started rummaging through his pockets. After finding what he was looking for, Jackson handed it to Yoonseo. It was a granola bar.

"Oh, there's no need. I'm about to head out anyways." She was about to hand it back to Jackson but he had none of it. "It's alright you have it, you're looking a little pale." Figuring there's no point in arguing, Yoonseo took it and thanked him and he gave her that puppy-like grin.

"I wouldn't like to keep you from your schedule any longer." He began and moved back a little. "It was nice meeting you Yoonseo, maybe we can go to orientation together?" Yoonseo gave him a small smile as she started to close the door. "Oh, and cute pants you got there!"

Yeah, maybe not Wang Jackson. She thought to herself as she opened the granola bar.